SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-05 14:12:14

hrnn187

anybody using LXQt?

I'd like to try out the new LXQt that's being developed. I'm on Debian testing right now and there are no official packages for it so far. There is an LXDE package but LXQt has not become its new main version yet.

How could I try it, besides building it from source, and get the updates?

cheers!

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2014-11-05 14:53:02

ratcheer
#! Junkie

Re: anybody using LXQt?

I installed it on Arch Linux. It is ok, but I'm not really pursuing it. 'm just not much of a DE guy. I installed it to see if I could.

Tim

#3 2014-11-05 19:02:00

Neil
#! CrunchBanger

I installed Siduction with LXQt a while back, but haven't continued with it.  I suppose installing Siduction in a VM or a dual boot config would give you a way to try LXQt out.

#4 2014-11-05 21:07:29

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

I have it running in Arch:
2014_11_04_215027_1920x1080_scrot.jpg
I need to update it though (that's version 0.7 , it's on 0.8 now)...

I have the source packages for my Debian Sid but I just can't be bothered tracking down all the dependencies manually.

It's a very quick desktop, the "kicker" menu is every bit as fast as the right-click menu's of the pure window manager environments.

However, I still prefer my PekWM/Tint2 setup.

#5 2014-11-05 23:10:50

paxmark1
#! Junkie

Sparky Linux which is based on Debian - Testing has a Razor-QT version which is probably close to the LXQT version.  I have high hopes for LXQT, the competency and tools of QT without the layers of KDE and hopefully for years to come without all the overbuild of GTk-3.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they are trying to be unix friendly, not so "udev-ish.  A guess, it just might be the one to watch if you are trying to avoid systemd (Not so much Sparky - but LXQT in general).  Definitely one possible way of avoiding going down the GTK3 route.  Months ago, the Razor-QT and Openbox played very well together, there is a specific obconf-qt gui tool. Pcmanqt is the default filemanager which I can live with very well.  Sparky Linux downloads is at http://sparkylinux.org/download/         Moi, I will go with the beta #! when it comes out and and then add lxqt through whatever way seems to have the most bang for the buck. They have a siduction repo at http://packages.siduction.org/lxqt/   for LXQT.  If LXQT sets up a repo for Debian-testing, I would be very pleased.

Jean Vanier wrote "Being Human" and "A Short History of Progress" by Ronald Wright.  Gotta love the Massey Lectures.

#6 2014-11-11 15:35:08

xor
#! Die Hard

i like LXQt, looking forward to it. not using it ATM though.

#7 2014-11-11 19:44:07

hrnn187

paxmark1 wrote:

Sparky Linux which is based on Debian - Testing has a Razor-QT version which is probably close to the LXQT version.  I have high hopes for LXQT, the competency and tools of QT without the layers of KDE and hopefully for years to come without all the overbuild of GTk-3.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they are trying to be unix friendly, not so "udev-ish.  A guess, it just might be the one to watch if you are trying to avoid systemd (Not so much Sparky - but LXQT in general).  Definitely one possible way of avoiding going down the GTK3 route.  Months ago, the Razor-QT and Openbox played very well together, there is a specific obconf-qt gui tool. Pcmanqt is the default filemanager which I can live with very well.  Sparky Linux downloads is at http://sparkylinux.org/download/         Moi, I will go with the beta #! when it comes out and and then add lxqt through whatever way seems to have the most bang for the buck. They have a siduction repo at http://packages.siduction.org/lxqt/   for LXQT.  If LXQT sets up a repo for Debian-testing, I would be very pleased.

well that's one of the things I'm not sure of. it is supposed to be a merge between a few projects, including razor-qt and lxde among others. which one is the most close to the actual lxqt project right now? also, if I install lxde will I eventually end up with a lxqt desktop after the eventual upgrades? I've been googling around but I haven't figured it out yet.

#8 2014-11-12 01:43:10

ratcheer
#! Junkie

I'm not sure I completely understand the question(s), but AFAIK, the current project is at version 1.8 and uses Qt 5. I installed from the Arch AUR pkgbuilds that built it from git source. It was not easy. A big dependency chain had to be built from the bottom up.

Once I got it completed, it works well. The one part that would not work for me was qterminal. I installed rxvt-unicode, instead, and the system is quite usable.

Tim

Last edited by ratcheer (2014-11-12 01:45:42)

#9 2014-11-23 05:14:35

pressanykey

I installed lxqt 0.8.0 in Manjaro 0.8.10 Ascella (64-bit) using the AUR pkgbuilds as well. It works and is pretty light on resources (~330 MB ram and no cpu). It's worth the upgrade from lxqt 0.7. At a minimum, the panel works better in 0.8.0.

Here's a screenshot.

2eo9ycj.png

#10 2014-11-25 05:08:58

paxmark1
#! Junkie

Oh, you rock.  I was going to use the siduction sources, but decided to try siduction instead  Theirs is 0.7  (their repo is 0.8).  i Really dislike their installer.  Working on vsido and will wait on the debs.  Sigh.  Learning journalctl and basics of systemd presently.

Jean Vanier wrote "Being Human" and "A Short History of Progress" by Ronald Wright.  Gotta love the Massey Lectures.

#11 2014-11-25 14:11:04

pressanykey

Thanks. I'm happy I installed lxqt 0.8.0. Next, I want to start installing some KDE apps and see how they work in lxqt (like amarok and digikam). lxqt provides a lighter environment (for a Windows Vista era machine) and lets me run the KDE apps a little cleaner than in a gtk environment (I hope!). I'll probably install a minimal KDE desktop just to get all of the necessary infrastructure and libs and autostarts...

#12 2014-11-25 14:57:13

sleeveroller
Website

I tried lxqt 0.7 on siduction in a vm but it didn't really float my boat.

To be fair though I'm probably not the target market. If I do switch from my beautiful #! openbox environment it will probably be for something towards the lighter end of the spectrum like dwm. That's just my personal preference though.

But if you're into lxde, xfce etc.. then it's probably worth taking a look at it.

#13 2014-11-27 06:47:26

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

I just installed the latest version, and I really want to like it, but it's giving me problems with my external display. Whenever I use the monitor settings to extend the display, I end up being unable to use the application menu (I don't know. It just suddenly does nothing). Also, no matter how I configure the position settings, it seems to think my monitor is to the left of my laptop.

"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life."
    --Bill Watterson

#14 2014-11-27 08:26:27

tawnypigeon

I've installed a few of the components as qt5 alternatives, just because they're there really. They all work fine, and I look forward to increased polish and more DE components being updated to qt5, but I'm not a DE guy, and found LXQt's default setup frustrating when I tried installing the meta-package.

Board footer