SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-11-07 23:09:31

arcum
#! Junkie
Website

Re: Quit smoking

So - still going strong... no problems during the day, just at dusk... like. right. now. - and I know that it's gonna taste awful and by now I know that I'm not going to put myself through those first couple of days again... and maybe I should lessen on the Chivas , or is one glass o whiskey a night acceptable? it surely is yummy though big_smile

edit:: going to bed. sleep the urge away. nn.

Last edited by arcum (2014-11-07 23:10:06)

playtime's over - shit just got real

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2014-11-07 23:32:02

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

@ arcum

re: or is one glass acceptable

That is totally up to you to decide. Booze might be a trigger to light up a smoke, only you can decide on how much it takes to pull the trigger.

I like the "I'm not going to put myself through those first couple of days again" - that's should be a moto for the next couple of years.

Maybe a new sig, fits well in the 4 lines 400 characters limit:

- playtime's over
I'm not going to put myself through those first couple of days again
- shit just got real

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#28 2014-11-08 00:01:04

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

arcum wrote:

is one glass o whiskey a night acceptable?

Alcohol usage has a J-shaped risk curve -- the risk is lowest at moderate consumption levels.

Just don't tell @jdonaghy...
tongue

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2014-11-08 00:02:03)

#29 2014-11-08 06:16:56

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

Good timing on this topic for me guys. I've been sort of half assedly trying to give up a 40 year smoking habit for about 2 months now. My basic stratagy is to simply let my smokes run out sometimes without running off to get more right away. I don't do it after every pack but just when the mood strikes. Sometimes I don't last much more than a couple of hours but a few times I've lasted a whole day. It does seem to be getting a bit easier the more times I try it.

Was going to try again 2 days ago and then my 78 year old mother passed out in the kitchen and hit the floor. I could not wake her up. She was completely non-responsive. Called the ambulance and had her wisked off to the hospital. They couldn't find anything wrong with her and sent her home. Anywho, that killed any thought of giving up smoking that day.

So I figured I'd try again today. I let them run out last night and did not have any this morning. That was working for about half the day, then some moron cuts me off in traffic and starts acting like he thinks it's my fault somehow. Idiot obviously did not see where the lines on the road are directing him to be while making his turn at the intersection. Have you ever had some idiot freak out and try to blame you for something that he did? Almost started to chase him down the road to punch him out. Thought better of it (I don't need to get arrested) and ducked into a store for some smokes. Calmed down after lighting one up. The guy is lucky that I am not as volatile as I was in my youth.

I'm not giving up. As I said before it has gotten to be a bit easier with each attempt so I'll try again over the weekend. I'm going to get past this habit sooner or later.

Last edited by Anaconda (2014-11-08 06:18:33)

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by taking the Tor challenge.

#30 2014-11-08 08:44:26

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Anaconda, I'm really glad your mother is okay. It sounds like you've had a rough couple of days and yeah, that makes it extra hard to try and quit.

Good luck over the weekend and I hope it's a calm one! smile

#31 2014-11-08 09:41:40

vic
#! by Default

Hang in there Anaconda, best wishes for quitting, this might be your very last weekend as habitual smoker.

Time to move on!#

#32 2014-11-08 12:12:52

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Anaconda wrote:

Have you ever had some idiot freak out and try to blame you for something that he did?

All the time...
Consider yourself lucky -- I work on a motorcycle and I have had people actually really try to kill &/or injure me with their vehicles quite a few times in the last million kilometres.
Mind you, I do ride like a Charlie Uniform November Tango... ]:D

#33 2014-11-08 14:18:42

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

I can't say that I've completely quit smoking, since I do light up when I have a drink or am out at the clubs, though it's not that often. For me, my nicotine intake came down as my fitness went up. The harder I trained (mostly cycling) the lesser I felt the urge to smoke. Possibly just the case of one high replacing another, I dunno. I often just go out and pedal for a couple of hours (or sometimes simply cruise around on the motorcycle) and the urge to smoke is gone by the time I get back and have a shower.

Rolling-your-own also helps you slow down, since a) you need to take the time to roll one, and b) they contain less additives compared to packaged cigs. I've got a small jar of Halfzware tobacco here and, taking my fitness regime into consideration, the last time I rolled one was last weekend when I made myself a drink. Fyi, I don't see the occasional fag as a bad thing, so I'm probably not the best person to take advice from.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Mind you, I do ride like a Charlie Uniform November Tango... ]:D

Politicians aren't ever gonna look out for your well-being simply because most of them can't relate - ie; they're too lardy to fit on a motorcycle in the first place. Notice how the EU have put this new law mandating that electric cars make some form of noise in order for for others to hear them coming? No one ever gave two f*cks about us when we showed evidence about loud pipes saving lives!! Defensive riding is the only way to survive. I don't care how much my Akrapovic annoys soccer-moms (mind you, it's still well within dB limits), as long as it lets them know I pay just as much road-tax as they do.

Last edited by gutterslob (2014-11-08 15:20:36)

Point & Squirt

#34 2014-11-08 14:24:00

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

#35 2014-11-08 16:01:34

pvsage
Internal Affairs

gutterslob wrote:

I don't care how much my Akrapovic annoys soccer-moms (mind you, it's still well within dB limits), as long as it lets them know I pay just as much road-tax as they do.

Off-topic:  Having been annoyed by many "fart pipes" that seem to be designed in defiance of dB limits, I heartily approve of your Akrapovic.  (I'm sure the biscuit muffler on my little outboard motor annoys some drivers. ]:D )

#36 2014-11-09 00:13:34

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

@gutterslob  I honestly dont know how some folks manage to smoke "part time". If you can manage it that's cool but I know that once I get off it I'll have to stay off it. None of this "oh one or two wont hurt". I quit for about two months once, about 30 years ago, and once I started having the odd smoke while having a drink with friends I was hooked again in no time flat.

Edit: I have one smoke left and I'm going out to the back yard to have it now. Not going to run off to the store and get more. We'll see how far I get this time. I think talking to you guys about this is helping to strengthen my resolve somewhat.

Last edited by Anaconda (2014-11-09 00:23:02)

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by taking the Tor challenge.

#37 2014-11-09 15:55:19

arcum
#! Junkie
Website

Another terrible day here... Difficult to resist the urge... Anyway went running again... Almost 5k... Running helps.

playtime's over - shit just got real

#38 2014-11-11 06:24:06

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

^ I remember going through that.  It's even worse when you get around a group who continues to smoke.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2014-11-11 06:24:26)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#39 2014-11-11 15:04:07

vic
#! by Default

Keep it up guys, stay hardcore.

Time to move on!#

#40 2014-11-11 15:21:48

oupsemma
#! Junkie

Stopped 2 years ago, anniversary in 2 days time!
Had many attempts with patches and one day 2 years ago saw Corenominal at a geek event in Blackpool, he was smoking an e-cigarette. Bought some to test it and less than 2 months later, I was done with the cigarette.
Thanks Philip ! wink

#Linux user 482038, eeepc 901 with #!, freed 901Go with Trisquel & gNewSense,
901 with Manjaro & ArchBang

#41 2014-11-11 15:47:52

AndyinMokum
#! Junkie

Yup, its been nearly two years for me - Dec 5 2012, Sinterklaas.  It took me no longer than saying, "I no longer smoke".  The heart attack helped in making the decision.  Fear is a great motivator  lol .  Seriously, just do it.  You'll not regret it.  Just use this thought as a motivator.  Every ciggie you smoke is filling the pockets of a shareholder who doesn't give a toss if you live or die   mad .  Your wallet will thank you too.  Go for it  wink !!!

"If you can't blind 'em with science, baffle 'em with bullshit".

Distros: Crunchbang 11 ""Waldorf" 64bit & Peppermint Five 64bit, Machine: Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Notebook Li 3710, CPU: 2x Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz, RAM: 4GB

#42 2014-11-11 23:34:34

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

Progress report:

Since my last post I went trhough most of Saturday with no smokes. I say "most of" because I did have a couple a friend gave me when we went out for coffee.

First thing Sunday morning I bought a pack. Smoked them all. That's still not bad, as I usually would have had 30 per day not 20.

Monday, I did not smoke all day, untill I bought a pack just before the store closed at midnight.

Tuesday. Yeah I'm smoking the pack I bought last night. Still, all in all, I'm doing better regarding the total amount smoked. Going without when the pack runs out seems to be working for me and getting a little bit easier each time. Oh, and I was not going without after every single pack before. I am now.

So tomorrow will be the big push. I'll start the day with none and see if I can make it stick this time. I fully intend to make my strongest effort yet, so maybe this will be the end of it.

@arcum and anyone else who is still strugling with this, good luck, and keep fighting till you win.

#43 2014-11-12 02:27:07

isosceles
#! Member

Glad to find some inspiration here. Me:

Three years of daily smoking.

Ten years non-smoker.

Went through some shit and started drinking hard, and smoking again for a 1.5 years.

Six months no smoking, backing off on drinking.

Doing pretty well with drinking, not perfect, started smoking again for the past few months.

I need to quit. I'm only on a couple per day, and my sympathies go to you who have smoked more heavily more consistently. This is such a battle. I'm "quitting" at the end of every pack now. It's time to really quit I guess. I have a half-smoked pouch of loose. I WILL quit after this pouch! Maybe I can leave it a bar next week and quit early.

Last edited by isosceles (2014-11-12 02:29:08)

#44 2014-11-12 13:38:34

ratcheer
#! Junkie

To me, it was better to have tobacco around and resist smoking it than not have it around. Because if I crave it and go out and buy some, I will smoke it.

Sounds like that's just me, as everyone else seems to depend on running out of what they have, then trying to quit. If you intend to quit, just quit! neutral

Tim

#45 2014-11-12 16:39:53

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

@ ratcheer

That actually makes sense.  How many times in my life someone has told me, "You can't eat that" - "Don't do that!" - "I wouldn't go there if I was you!"

And the first thing in my head "I'll eat if I want, and I want!" - "Watch me!" - "You can't stop me!"

By keeping them with you you've made their use an option.  Remove the tobacco and it's like "Damn, now what! ... going mad ... need some...." and of course if you spend the money for a package, you 'have to justify' the spending of it by having a puff or 22.

#46 2014-11-12 17:19:25

Iranon
#! Junkie

This is probably not very helpful... but I simply figured I didn't like to be bossed around by some dinky little plant, and quit.
I was a bit irritable for 2 weeks or so, but that was it.

I'll smoke the ocasional cigar when in the mood, and accept a cigarette when offered in a social context... every few months or so. No problems here.

LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single  unified look, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

#47 2014-11-12 20:01:19

g33zr
#! Die Hard

This is how I quit smoking cigarettes some 40 years ago: I began running. The more I ran, the less I smoked, until one day...I realized that I was addicted to running. If I didn't run at least 3-5 miles a day--every day--I didn't feel right and was crankier than usual.  roll

As already stated here by others, you often replace one addiction with another. Running is a preferable addiction in my opinion than smoking. In short, go for the lesser of two evils.  O:)

It's never too late to learn something new! wink

OHCG | LXer

#48 2014-11-12 21:36:51

Nucky

Hello Arcum (and others !)

So, I was not a long time smoker, neither a heavy one. I was smoking half a pack to one pack a day, for two years. However, I did not stop "cold turkey". I went to a doc, gave me some nicotine patches, saying "see you in two month". Two month later, I had no urges to smoke anymore. Had some nicotine gums, still from the doctor, in case of an emergency, never used them and junked them a few months later. All in all, it felt easy to me.

I really learned three things from it, a little later on. The most important is, that as easy as I felt it was, turn out I was very anxious, stressed, and put all of that on my girlfriend, being unkind and "sharing" all that stress with her. That was a harder time for her than to me. Point is, be with tough people,  that understands and supports you through that process.

Two other points (that are mostly known, just to say I acknowledges it actually happens when you stop). First, everything tastes way better, and the smell of your smoker friends is repulsive. Second, sometime after I stopped I had bronchitis and other light breathing problems, to which the doc (and everybody else for that matter) said : "you're getting rid of all that carbon and oil and ...".

May the force be with you !

#49 2014-11-13 03:43:18

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

AndyinMokum wrote:

Your wallet will thank you too.

Yeah, I can't believe how expensive cigarettes are here in the U.S.  I remember when I bused tables in a restaurant there was a cigarette vending machine where a pack cost you $0.75.  I'm dating myself here.  lol

@Nucky:  I used to get really bad bronchitis at least once during the winter when I smoked.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2014-11-13 03:48:38)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

Be excellent to each other!

#50 2014-11-13 12:07:20

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

^ dating yourself ... I remember buying "my" first cigarette package, duMaurier.  And the only reason it was that brand, I was known to buy them in Mr Wong's corner store for my father who use to send me with notes to get them for him.  "My" first package cost me 35¢ and although suspect Mr Wong knew shortly after I started buying 'my own' he never said anything.  There were hints, "You father buy smoke this morning!" with a stern look. Everyone in the neighbourhood liked Mr. Wong, even us kids. Life was a lot simpler back then.

RE: bad bronchitis -- OMG!!! I haven't thought about that in years ... the coughing, wheezing and hacking all but gone.  Still rough when I get a cold or the likes and I get winded easily today after 45 years of slowly destroying my lungs ... but no more violent coughing, wondering if I was going to rip my lungs out.  Now that's a good "remember when".  Thanks KrunchTime!

Board footer