SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-01 23:51:24

AnticitizenPL

Arch Linux/Crunchbang DE

I love Crunchbang look, and ease of arch configuration, so I would like to combine them together and have Arch Linux with the same look as default Crunchbang. Can someboy give me config files, and all programs from default Crunchbang DE? Yes, I know there was topic like this, but in 2011(!) and things have changed from that times. So just I make a new one, and I ask you - Crunchbang users to give me the config files and other things, to make my DE look like Crunchbang default.

Sorry for my English.

PS: As I love Crunchbang look, I hate other release models than rolling(which Arch has). Also I love pacman, and I don't like apt-get. So I just want that great Crunchbang look, without that Debian things which I don't like.

Last edited by AnticitizenPL (2014-11-01 23:53:51)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2014-11-02 00:06:29

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Re: Arch Linux/Crunchbang DE

Surely it's just a case of using the OpenBox Waldorf theme with tint2(-svn) using the tint2rc from #! and the GTK Waldorf theme & CrunchBang icons...

I don't see why you need help for this -- copy them from a live session or raid a USB stick install.

I suppose you also need the cb-* packages but AFAIK they are just scripts and can be easily copy&pasted to your Arch install.

aptitude search cb-*

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2014-11-02 00:08:39)

#3 2014-11-02 00:14:17

lowrider
#! Die Hard

Wow, what a way to introduce yourself. Sounds like I don't like "speak hate" your roots but i love the way you look to me. Anyway, this is the friendly #! world here. Feel free to go to #! sources and pick what you need.
Peace

came for the distro, stayed for the community
streamripper :: smxi

#4 2014-11-02 00:19:08

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

You're not going to find anyone that will strip the configs and scripts to package them neatly for you, unfortunately, much in the same way none of us are going to come to your house to cook your dinner.  If, however, you run into an issue while building your dream OS and need some assistance, then we're your guys!

Coming from someone that duplicates #! on everything I install, there's not much to it. Install the necessary apps,  ~/.config files,  scripts in /etc/skel, although I didn't have need to use any of them to bring it up to speed.

#5 2014-11-02 00:40:35

damo
#! gimpbanger

If it's just the look you want...

Get the gtk/openbox themes from /usr/share/themes/waldorf
The icons are /usr/share/icons/Crunchbang and /usr/share/icons/Crunchbang-Dark (inherits gnome & hicolor)
Tint2 panel settings in /etc/skel/.config/tint2/tint2rc
Conky settings in /etc/skel/.conkyrc
Wallpaper in /usr/share/backgrounds
login screen is in /usr/share/slim (but I guess you won't be wanting that)

If you want the functionality you will also need to sort out window-snapping and hot-corners, autostart, cb-* scripts, pipemenus, keybinds

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#6 2014-11-02 07:21:07

1002richards
#! CrunchBanger

AnticitizenPL wrote:

I love Crunchbang look, and ease of arch configuration, so I would like to combine them together and have Arch Linux with the same look as default Crunchbang. .

Have you looked at Archbang? There's a 2014 listing here.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=archbang

Hope that's of interest?

Last edited by 1002richards (2014-11-02 13:42:49)

#7 2014-11-02 07:53:36

nore
>2^9

Anticitizen: Install CrunchBang in a virtual machine inside your Arch box, play with it and steal those features you like. That way you can safely learn by playing without borking (immediately) your production system.

Copying by writing is always better way to learn than just copying.

#8 2014-11-02 09:10:46

ohnonot
...again

i have been using archbang for a while now, and no problems.
i hesitate calling it a distro because once it's installed it's just arch linux with a crunchbangish setup (=plain openbox, tint2).
but then, that's what crunchbang itself is, too - except for a few select packages.

#9 2014-11-06 10:02:21

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@ohnonot: Those few select packages, plus key bindings and customized compton configuration (?) are what makes CrunchBang, CrunchBang.  wink

...oh, the community makes it unique as well.

By the way, the package listing is a nice find.  I didn't know that existed.  I've seen others ask about a package list in the past.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2014-11-06 10:04:59)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#10 2014-11-06 15:25:30

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

ohnonot wrote:

i hesitate calling it a distro because once it's installed it's just arch linux with a crunchbangish setup (=plain openbox, tint2).
but then, that's what crunchbang itself is, too - except for a few select packages.

A Linux distribution (often called distro for short) is an operating system made as a collection of software based around the Linux kernel and often around a package management system.

By the accepted definition of the phrase linux distribution, both fall under that umbrella.  So does Hannah Montana Linux. Anyone can throw some scripts into a parent distribution and make a "distro". Some just do it better than others. There's usually a very noticeable difference between the polar opposites.

#11 2014-12-18 04:19:38

OrganizedFellow
#! Member

schwim wrote:

bwahahahahaaaa

Thanks for the funniest post I've seen this week smile

Board footer