SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-22 20:19:58

Dragynn

Crunchbang + MATE

Just finally tried MATE 1.8 which I happened upon while enabling additional repo's, works awesome! I don't mind fiddling with tint2 and openbox, but the Mrs. likes her little comforts don't ya know.  wink

Also about to make some new converts here, folks fed up with windoze, looks like 8 has been the final straw for a lot of people. Working on doing a re-master to make for an easy install, and ease-of-use is a biggie for newbs, the rock-solid #! base with it's superb hardware support + the simple MATE interface is just the ticket.

Going to send another small donation, we's just poor folk, but maybe a little beer money will brighten Corenominal's day. big_smile

2556sz5.jpg

Last edited by Dragynn (2014-10-22 21:02:37)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-10-22 20:28:26

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: Crunchbang + MATE

Dragynn wrote:

... while enabling additional repo's ....

I hope you know how to recover from the likely breakage wink

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#3 2014-10-22 20:28:57

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

You did get it from Wheezy-backports, right?
Just in case...

#4 2014-10-22 20:29:53

common-sense
#! CrunchBanger

damo wrote:
Dragynn wrote:

lol

#5 2014-10-22 20:42:24

Dragynn

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

You did get it from Wheezy-backports, right?
Just in case...

Yep!

No breakage whatsoever, i'm actually a little disappointed, lol, thought I might be able to contribute some fixes if other folks had issues, but nothing's breaking, it's working better in some ways than the old gnome 2 did for me, and has some features that got disabled in the last couple gnome2's by unscrupulous dev's I guess.

You just need to know what all to install, the MATE meta-package will get you started, but there's quite a few other packages to get you to the full-meal deal.

I had a minor glitch or two, but they self-corrected with re-boots, I think some packages needed the re-boot to fully activate. Had to put in a slight delay for conky as the mate DE takes a little longer to boot. Had to add the mate session to slim. Had to add a line to make a separate desktop folder so Caja wouldn't put all my home files on the desktop. And had to install the dconf-tools package so I could get the home and trash and computer icons/shortcuts off the desktop.

#6 2014-10-22 21:09:42

Dragynn

damo wrote:
Dragynn wrote:

Just checked out your Deviant-art stuff, really nice! I need to get off my butt and do some new artwork, got a ton of wallpapers I made, but all for a distro I no longer use wink

Also big time thanks for your Remastersys post, was exactly what I needed, virtual beers to you sir!

#7 2014-10-22 21:12:04

damo
#! gimpbanger

Dragynn wrote:

Also big time thanks for your Remastersys post, was exactly what I needed, virtual beers to you sir!

Doesn't need to be virtual - I'll PM my PayPal details  ]:D

...and get some Artwork on the go - the more the merrier smile

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#8 2014-10-22 23:53:17

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@Dragynn:  Looks nice; good work.  You should put together a how-to and post it over here for the benefit of others.

I would like to know the how-to's to get this to work if someone wants me to install Linux for them.  That way they get a nice Linux newbie interface and I'll know how to troubleshoot any issues without having to learn the nuances of another Linux distro.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2014-10-22 23:56:29)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#9 2014-10-26 21:40:31

Dragynn

KrunchTime wrote:

@Dragynn:  Looks nice; good work.  You should put together a how-to and post it over here for the benefit of others.

I would like to know the how-to's to get this to work if someone wants me to install Linux for them.  That way they get a nice Linux newbie interface and I'll know how to troubleshoot any issues without having to learn the nuances of another Linux distro.

Thanks! I had thought about doing a how-to on this subject, but thought it might be a little pretentious on my part as i'm pretty new here, and haven't posted much.

Did a buddy's computer a couple days ago and just finished dotting some i's and crossing some T's, he had an absolutel clusterf**k of a windoze 8 install, IE broken, most progs wouldn't work right, ate up with virii and malware etc.

Wiped it all and installed #! , added MATE environment and extras, working really superb in all tests so far, and easy to use for a linux newb.

#10 2014-10-26 21:50:43

damo
#! gimpbanger

Dragynn wrote:

Thanks! I had thought about doing a how-to on this subject, but thought it might be a little pretentious on my part as i'm pretty new here, and haven't posted much.

Did a buddy's computer a couple days ago and just finished dotting some i's and crossing some T's, he had an absolutel clusterf**k of a windoze 8 install, IE broken, most progs wouldn't work right, ate up with virii and malware etc.

Wiped it all and installed #! , added MATE environment and extras, working really superb in all tests so far, and easy to use for a linux newb.

Hey, if no one else has done it, why not have a go? A few high-value posts are much better for the #! community compared to a lot of the drivel that some of us post

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#11 2014-10-26 21:55:20

Dragynn

Okay, i'll give it a shot! Pretty easy overall, but there's some details I had to look up (and found a lot of answers here on this forum) that I can aggregate in one place.

damo wrote:
Dragynn wrote:

Hey, if no one else has done it, why not have a go? A few high-value posts are much better for the #! community compared to a lot of the drivel that some of us post

#12 2014-10-27 04:18:30

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Dragynn wrote:

I don't know why it would be pretentious for you to do a how-to for something that could benefit other users.  In your second post you indicated there were a number of packages required, so that knowledge would definitely be of benefit to others and would save them time in doing the same thing you have done.

Linux User #586672

#13 2014-10-27 12:44:32

common-sense
#! CrunchBanger

Yes Dragynn. Do a howto. It's a interesting project, and it would save time for anyone that might want to try it themselves.

#14 2014-10-27 17:19:11

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

common-sense wrote:

Yes Dragynn. Do a howto. It's a interesting project, and it would save time for anyone that might want to try it themselves.

He did.

Linux User #586672

#15 2014-10-27 23:01:35

Dragynn

KrunchTime wrote:
common-sense wrote:

He did.

Yep, it's pretty simple, it's setting all the preferences and aesthetics that takes all the time afterwards.

Started thinking yesterday it would be super easy to write a short script to do the main install and set it up to re-boot into the mate session.

#16 2014-10-27 23:49:51

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

nice.  just saw your tips thread for mate install.   nice to get this background context too.  ^_^

#17 2014-10-28 12:35:30

common-sense
#! CrunchBanger

KrunchTime wrote:
common-sense wrote:

He did.

Ok. I guess I should have looked in the tips&tricks section. Awesome smile

#18 2014-10-29 01:26:13

vlax
#! CrunchBanger
Website

thanks a lot!

KrunchTime wrote:
common-sense wrote:

He did.

'_[=]_'

#19 2014-10-29 21:10:05

Dragynn

Glad to do it, Crunchbang has been great for us this last year and wanted to contribute something back.  Just converted a hesitant windoze user by installing this set-up and have another waiting and ready to do the same, so it's win-win.  wink

Will add to the post as I think of things, just added info on putting a menu entry for user log-in settings into the mate menu, i'm sure everybody here knows how to get to slimconf, but again it's easier on new users, and I like to get the newbs started learning by showing them there are gui-ways to do almost everything in mate, as for some reason people tend to be leery of working in terminal.

#20 2014-10-29 21:20:06

damo
#! gimpbanger

Dragynn wrote:

G...and I like to get the newbs started learning by showing them there are gui-ways to do almost everything in mate, as for some reason people tend to be leery of working in terminal.

To be fair, much configuration is done with text files, so these can be edited in a gui text editor, if it makes them feel better! slim.conf is a particularly easy one to edit wink

Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#21 2014-10-29 21:55:59

Dragynn

damo wrote:
Dragynn wrote:

G...and I like to get the newbs started learning by showing them there are gui-ways to do almost everything in mate, as for some reason people tend to be leery of working in terminal.

To be fair, much configuration is done with text files, so these can be edited in a gui text editor, if it makes them feel better! slim.conf is a particularly easy one to edit wink

Absolutely true, and that's the second step I usually show people once they master using the various GUI's to set preferences etc., how easy it is to change config files and such with a simple text editor.  If they are inclined at all to really get into the nuts and bolts of linux, that's usually the point they start to get really excited about how simple it is, and begin to marvel at the control over their own system they have now.

#22 2014-10-29 23:21:06

TicTac
#! Junkie

@ Dragynn

Been following your threads and although MATE'S not my particular thing, love seeing the work you've done and really appreciate the DIY for those users who would benefit from your efforts. The screen shots are awesome... Nice work.

Imo... Most users and I mean 99% here, want nothing to do with config files or text editors. They come home, turn their pc on, check mail, read the news and off to the "Book of Face" they go. I truly believe, the notion most of us have as Linux users that everyone... With just a little effort, "wants" to know the nuts and bolts of their systems... Is a false one.

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#23 2014-10-29 23:30:19

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

TicTac wrote:

Imo... Most users and I mean 99% here, want nothing to do with config files or text editors. They come home, turn their pc on, check mail, read the news and off to the "Book of Face" they go. I truly believe, the notion most of us have as Linux users that everyone... With just a little effort, "wants" to know the nuts and bolts of their systems... Is a false one.

If you're talking about the world's userbase, I think your estimate is a little low. It would probably be closer to 99.9%.  If, however, they're reading the how-to, they've already proven themselves to want more than to facebook.  They could have used their Windows license for that. I've found the majority of the linux community to be at the very least more than willing to learn to work with an editor to make changes.

#24 2014-10-30 00:37:51

TicTac
#! Junkie

@Schwim,

For those using or intending to use #!, I'd absolutely agree and I believe there's a core within the Linux community who obviously find tinkering around the system or understanding it upon a fundamental level... A mission in life but I would have to disagree with you about a "majority" of the Linux user base. I think most are experimenting with something new to them, normally within a dual boot configuration and when the slightest thing goes astray, they unfortunately run home to Mamma... Windows. sad

@ Dragynn,

Again, really like what you've done and love the tutorial for those wishing to do the same. I apologize for staying from your topic. smile

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

Board footer