SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#76 2014-10-01 22:48:48

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Re: Pick a distro and commit

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I think my early posts may have given the game away somewhat:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=33263
[/facepalm]

Oh POO!  We all do foo-foos on occasion.

Did I word that right?

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Be excellent to each other!

#77 2014-10-02 04:50:35

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

ratcheer wrote:
hinto wrote:

^Sabayon might be a good choice. - Hinto

I used Sabayon for a good long while. It is a strong distro that not many people know about.
Tim

I started my Linux journey with Fedora (6 months) and then, Sabayon for a (1 year) ... then, I discovered Debian.

Registered Linux User: #497030
my DeviantART page
-- #!Crunchbang- Sid "Animal"  (Fluxbox) -- LMDE Fluxbox Edition -- Manjaro-Fluxbox --

#78 2014-10-02 06:11:56

ohnonot
...again

my previous post might have been misunderstood for me being an archlinux purist.
i'm not; i am still looking for a semi-automatic arch installer.

as i said, evo/lution did not do it for me, i dropped manjaro when i realised it's the "ubuntu of arch".

so what about antergos? is it still proper arch (my threads on archlinux forums wouldn't get closed when admitting to using it)? is it good?

and helmuthdu/aui?

#79 2014-10-04 01:30:12

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

ohnonot wrote:

...so what about antergos? is it still proper arch (my threads on archlinux forums wouldn't get closed when admitting to using it)? is it good?...

No, it probably wouldn't be considered proper Arch because you don't have to build anything from scratch.  It is installed the same way most Linux distros are installed.  That's one of the joys (IMHO) of using it.  You don't have to spend a lot of time getting a decent working installation.

I personally liked Antergos and if it weren't for the AUR, I would still be playing around with it.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#80 2014-10-05 08:41:45

ohnonot
...again

KrunchTime wrote:

I personally liked Antergos and if it weren't for the AUR, I would still be playing around with it.

yes, but this is what i don't understand.
is antergos somehow forcing you to use AUR? are AUR packages installed by default? that would be bad indeed.
if it is enabled by default, can't you just disable it without losing functionality?

edit: nevermind, you kinda answered that in the other thread.

Last edited by ohnonot (2014-10-05 08:42:51)

#81 2014-10-27 23:26:25

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

ratcheer wrote:

Geezer, it really isn't that difficult to install Arch. Just follow the Beginner's Guide, and you will get there. I'm not trying to convert you or anything, but if I can do it, anyone can.

Gentoo is what I wish I was smart enough to run. I have installed it successfully, several times, but I have never gotten the hang of maintaining it.

Tim

i feel your pain, and understand the desire for gentooism...  with that, i bestow upon you my scruffy old maintenance scripts for gentoo.   ;D  https://github.com/Digit/mergence 
premerg, pretence (which i forgot about) and mergence.  it's likely very bad practice, likely needs half a dozen other more cunning command line options to help automate it past any difficulties, but a weekly/fortnightly premerg && mergence keeps things sorted most of the time, to a satisfactory standard. 

(afaik, that'd work in calculate a bit too... i did use calculate for a year or two, but really only just as an ongoing experiment (and as my main desktop os) to see if i could peal it back to pure gentoo again, and i only started using that around the end of the time i used calculate.)

i am not smart enough to use gentoo either, but i do, all the time, even exherbo, which u need to be even smarter for.  i think it helps to keep the bar a little out of reach, keep the carrot dangling infront, always adding that extra to reach for.   ... what's the old bit go like again? erm... man's reach should exceed his grasp.  something like that.

ratcheer wrote:
hinto wrote:

^Sabayon might be a good choice.
-Hinto

I used Sabayon for a good long while. It is a strong distro that not many people know about.

Tim

i used sabayon for a few years too, from a few releases before they introduced their binary package manager.

have you tried toorox?

there's been a little hiatus since last release, but i'm sure it'll come with a new release sometime.   or might be viable to install one of the last releases and get it updated without too much pain.

toorox is the closest there is to a straight desktop gentoo, preconfigured ready to go live, and ootb.

[final edit]- P.S. - Funtoo is fun too, and easier than Gentoo, by just that critical margin to make it more fun than tasking[/edit]

Last edited by Digit (2014-10-27 23:36:11)

#82 2014-10-28 01:20:56

zbreaker
#! CrunchBanger

#!, VSIDO, & Slackware...my Holy Trinity cool

H-ohcg

#83 2014-10-31 14:53:35

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

Debian Stable, pure and simple.

For the first time in several years I have only one OS installed on my main box. No secondary systems. I'll play around with Jesse in a VM as soon as it is frozen and install it as a replacement for CrunchBang on my spare box when it gets closer to stable. It will not go on my main box until it has officially gone stable. I did my time distro hopping and it was fun, but these days I just want something that works.

Of course this does not stop me from doing a little WM-DE hopping. I recently tried Mate from backports, XFCE, Gnome3 and OpenBox. This is not so much about "hopping" as it is about exploring different working environments to see what I like best. No need to distrohop in order to do that.

I've got it running just ICEWM at the moment and I'll stick to that for a while. After using it for a couple of weeks, I think this one is underrated. Extremely configurable and very fast.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by taking the Tor challenge.

#84 2014-10-31 15:19:26

vic
#! by Default

^My situation too more or less.  smile

Last edited by vic (2014-10-31 15:19:54)

Time to move on!#

#85 2014-10-31 15:42:18

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

^^ & ^  I can't believe this ... I find myself in the same situation ... after wiping my drive at the beginning of OCT ... I have only one distro - #! Waldorf

Talk about making life easier ...

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#86 2014-11-01 19:53:33

g33zr
#! Die Hard

I do most--but not all--of my distro-hopping with VB, but every now and then I am curious how a particular distro will perform when installed on the HDD. I'll run it for a week or two but, in the end, I always return to #!--for all the reasons why #! fans prefer #! over other Linux distros. #! stable is the only distro on my laptop, but I I dual-boot #! with OSX on the iMac (as long as my wife, sometimes known as "the admiral" or "she who must be obeyed" prefers OSX to Linux).  neutral The only difference with my set-up is that I'm now run #! unstable on the iMac. Switching from stable to unstable (i.e., sid) was much easier than I thought, and--knock on wood--thanks to these forums, I've had no real difficulties with backups, etc. Consequently, I may also switch to #! unstable on the laptop soon.  big_smile

It's never too late to learn something new! wink

OHCG | LXer

#87 2014-11-01 21:32:49

boisei0
#! CrunchBanger

For me, it is Gentoo. I prefer portage over aptitude and really like the ease of it's configuration. My main system, running Gentoo, is however mostly a copy of #! Waldorf. It is almost identical to my laptop, which will keep running #! stable, as well as my writing machine. I even copied the cb scripts from the Waldorf repo to my Gentoo machine smile

boisei0@irwin ~ $ uname -a
Linux irwin 3.12.13-gentoo #10 SMP Wed Sep 24 17:20:48 CEST 2014 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
boisei0@irwin ~ $ ls /usr/bin/cb* 
/usr/bin/cb-aerosnap    /usr/bin/cb-cowpowers         /usr/bin/cb-exit     /usr/bin/cb-help-pipemenu  /usr/bin/cb-include.cfg           /usr/bin/cb-lock             /usr/bin/cb-printing-pipemenu      /usr/bin/cb-remote-desktop-pipemenu  /usr/bin/cb-welcome
/usr/bin/cb-compositor  /usr/bin/cb-dropbox-pipemenu  /usr/bin/cb-fortune  /usr/bin/cb-hotcorners     /usr/bin/cb-libreoffice-pipemenu  /usr/bin/cb-places-pipemenu  /usr/bin/cb-recent-files-pipemenu  /usr/bin/cb-sshconfig-pipemenu       /usr/bin/cb-x-www-browser-pipemenu

Most of the config files are my own modified versions of the default Waldorf ones. For me, my ideal system is something which runs Gentoo, but feels like it's #! and I think I'm pretty much succeeding in creating that.

YAWS (cli weather script with conkyForecast syntax) | Bitbucket | Github | Blog
Member of the Unofficial #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

#88 2014-11-02 21:14:02

m1rr0r5h4d35
#! Member

I have used Slackware for to many years to abandon it. I am still sometime scratching my head when I poking around the Debian inards of #!, but all-in-all I am pretty happy with Waldorf, ootb. I must admit that I love Slackware's philosophy and way of doing things, though.

#89 2014-11-22 16:21:04

Alad
Software Satan

Here's my pseudo-code installer "script" for Arch:

https://gist.github.com/AladW/36f34ee37964c407c2f2

Probably will use this as a template to unbloat the beginners' guide.

Last edited by Alad (2014-11-22 16:23:57)

#90 2014-11-22 16:25:58

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Alad wrote:

Probably will use this as a template to unbloat the beginners' guide.

Why? It doesn't need unbloating. Besides, Beginner's Guide can not be edited by everyone.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#91 2014-11-22 16:33:06

Alad
Software Satan

^ This discussion has been repeated 9000 times, and because of this there's been no progress - resulting in broken install scripts, arch "derivates", dubious blog posts, and two installation guides for one distro - simply because of the lack of overview.

I don't see why e.g obscure systems such as Syslinux have to duplicated from their respective articles, or why content in the beginners' guide should be an excuse to make content in the main articles not accessible, or well structured.

PS: And sure, anyone can edit the beginner's guide. That's probably one of the reasons why it is in its current condition (call me an elitist if you like).

Last edited by Alad (2014-11-22 16:35:04)

#92 2014-11-22 17:05:44

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

It is the Installation Guide that is non-editable: it was written by the Arch staff and as such represents the official documentation.

@Alad: nice script! smile
Non-EFI only though and also you need to put in a section after line 60 to add the hostname to /etc/hosts:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … e#Hostname
Not adding this causes a several second delay in starting, eg, FireFox wink

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2014-11-22 17:06:16)

#93 2014-11-22 17:10:33

Alad
Software Satan

^ Thanks, and yep, I won't be touching the UEFI part until I have more experience on that regard.

Are you sure on the delay? There's a discussion here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ta … resolution - I haven't experienced one myself...

Last edited by Alad (2014-11-22 17:11:17)

#94 2014-11-22 17:19:55

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Alad wrote:

Are you sure on the delay? There's a discussion here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ta … resolution - I haven't experienced one myself...

Yes, I've experienced it personally myself.
Also, see this thread:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=186967

I also remember this being discussed on the forums: it is theoretically not necessary but it seems it is still required...
hmm

#95 2014-11-22 17:22:01

Alad
Software Satan

^ Cheers for the link.

#96 2014-11-22 20:18:48

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Alad wrote:

^ This discussion has been repeated 9000 times, and because of this there's been no progress - resulting in broken install scripts, arch "derivates", dubious blog posts, and two installation guides for one distro - simply because of the lack of overview.

Wow wow wow, hold it there. I've never seen this discussion before. Install scripts are usually broken from the start, since they're often tailored towards personal use. Sure, I have my own but I'm not going to share them simply because they're meant for my own setup. As is your gist: personally I would not want to use grub. The same goes for blog posts explaining how to install Arch: personal, and often out-dated.

Derivates are, I think, not here because of duplicated effort and bloated wiki pages. Where is the correlation between this?

Now I'm all for progress and improvements, but in my opinion the Beginner's Guide has the proper amount of detail. Could you point out relevant sections that in your opinion aren't? I do agree that it is cluttered with notes and tips. But, by all means, go ahead and do what you think is necessary. I don't often contribute to the Wiki so I might miss things you don't wink Just make sure it still covers the alternatives it does now; as I stated above.

Alad wrote:

I don't see why e.g obscure systems such as Syslinux have to duplicated from their respective articles, or why content in the beginners' guide should be an excuse to make content in the main articles not accessible, or well structured.

100% agreed. Another prime example of a messy page is the page explaining pulseaudio. Half of the configuration is in one page, and there's another on the PulseAudio - Configuration article.

Alad wrote:

PS: And sure, anyone can edit the beginner's guide. That's probably one of the reasons why it is in its current condition (call me an elitist if you like).

Hm, I think it used to be editable by only a handful of people. Oh well, just get at it and do your thing!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#97 2014-11-22 21:48:02

Alad
Software Satan

I've never seen this discussion before.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ta … s%27_guide and various forum links wink

Derivates are, I think, not here because of duplicated effort and bloated wiki pages. Where is the correlation between this?

Well, a "simple" Arch seems to be an important selling point of the derivates, though I may have been a bit quick there.

Just make sure it still covers the alternatives it does now; as I stated above.

Fair enough, but don't worry - dramatic, uncoordinated changes are a no-go in archwiki (and I didn't want to make the impression I'd do any).

Could you point out relevant sections that in your opinion aren't? I do agree that it is cluttered with notes and tips.

What I'd like to see is to bring a balance between the (very brief) installation guide, and "one-page-fits-all" beginner's guide. You bring a good point on the notes - for example, pacstrap troubleshooting should be moved to the pacman article, which has far more troubleshooting options to begin with.

To bring another example, why should the static ip section be (partly) copied from Network configuration? A static IP could be configured quickly with dhcpcd. Also compare the later installation section which oddly only mentions netctl.

I'd like to see this section merged back to network configuration, and if that article is not "suited" to beginners, improve it accordingly. That's pretty much the general idea.

Another prime example of a messy page is the page explaining pulseaudio. Half of the configuration is in one page, and there's another on the PulseAudio - Configuration article.

Yes.  8.(

Last edited by Alad (2014-11-22 21:49:21)

#98 2014-11-22 23:13:48

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Perhaps you can contact some of the people in charge of the Wiki - it could improve the rate of your improvements. Good luck in any case! wink

#99 2014-11-22 23:48:18

Alad
Software Satan

^ First entry in the list tongue

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#100 2014-11-23 08:05:27

intoCB
Scatweasel

Well, at least you've all picked Arch and stuck to it smile

Board footer