SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-17 18:08:40

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

(SOLVED, sort of) HW mystery

Inspired by another thread I have decided to do some experimenting on my old, side-kick, 32-bit computer -- a Shuttle SK41G. I have a spare, 80 GB, HDD laying around and the idea is to install it and try out various RAID configurations.

Only I have totally failed to install that HDD. It needs to be configured as a slave unit as I want the original HDD to be master and the the manufacturer of the optical drive strongly advice against making it, the optical drive, a slave. How hard can this be? I read the lables on the various units adjusting the jumpers as instructed.

I can't even get the BIOS to fire up to the point of showing something on the monitor. I have double-checked and re-adjusted the jumpers. I have moved the secondary HDD from the IDE-bus of the primary HDD to the IDE-bus of the optical unit (again double-checking jumpers). I have disconnected the secondary HDD (no IDE- nor power-cable). After that I systematically worked my way through all jumper options of the primary HDD, to no avail.

I have checked all voltages including power-good of the power supply and they look OK.

All I get when I power up is the fans spinning and the LEDs of all connected units lighting up temporarily. The monitor also wakes up but that is all. Nothing more happens apart from the fans going on running.

What have I overlooked?

TIA

/Martin

Last edited by MartinRF (2014-08-18 20:54:35)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2014-08-17 22:26:41

rupio1979

Re: (SOLVED, sort of) HW mystery

does your MB suports RAID via HW? i've read the specs on the link you gave and it doesn't seem to.
if not, setting up RAID with IDE HDDs via software is a world of pain. i'm not even sure it can be done with the setup you described. you would need a diferent HDD for OS. but I've never used RAId software so I may be wrong here.

#3 2014-08-18 16:50:53

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

rupio1979 wrote:

does your MB suports RAID via HW? i've read the specs on the link you gave and it doesn't seem to.
if not, setting up RAID with IDE HDDs via software is a world of pain. i'm not even sure it can be done with the setup you described. you would need a diferent HDD for OS. but I've never used RAId software so I may be wrong here.

SW RAID is the plan and I hope you are wrong on that being hard or even impossible to do. But thanks for the discouragement anyway. :-)

The RAID exercise is of secondary interest right now. My objective now is to de-brick my guinea-pig computer.

I have just tried to start it with *all* IDE-units un-plugged, leaving me with just mother-board, PSU, keyboard, mouse and monitor. Still no progress. :-(

/Martin

#4 2014-08-18 20:53:42

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

For some reason pulling the graphics card and using the on-board graphics instead brought the BIOS and all other booting back into order.

/Martin

#5 2014-08-18 21:02:09

rupio1979

thats good news. smile
was going to sugest flashing the BIOS...but nevermind
strange that the MB didn't start beeping.
usually when there is a VC problem it does. hmm
let us know how the SW RAID project goes

r

Last edited by rupio1979 (2014-08-18 21:13:06)

Board footer