SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-11 23:51:28

Pockets69

[SOLVED] Asus S46 (same mobo as the K series) FN keys not working

Good day guys

I have been having this little problem that i am trying to solve but to no avail...
I have a asus laptop an S46cm with the same mobo as the K series and pretty much the same specs, i have fixed mostly everything on this crunchbang install from no right click to nvidia optimus, but right now i am struggling with the ACPI FN Keys, while some FN keys are working some of them aren't, f12 f11 and f10 responsible for sound are working, f9 is responsible for disabling mouse and it is not working, f8 is responsible from switching screens, and i can't test as i have no screen to test it with, f7 is responsible for turning the display off, and it is working, f6 and f5 are working as well and responsible for brightness control f2 is responsible for the wlan switch and it is not working, f1 is responsible for sleeping and it is not working as well.

So i searched a bit and came across this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/63734/ho … sus-laptop

there is a solution, but obviously is not working firstly the git clone comand is not working on that git, although i can ping it it comes with this error message:

git clone git://git.iksaif.net/acpi4asus-dkms.git
Cloning into 'acpi4asus-dkms'...
fatal: unable to connect to git.iksaif.net:
git.iksaif.net[0: 83.157.108.74]: errno=Connection refused
git.iksaif.net[1: 2a01:e35:39d6:c4a0:219:e0ff:fe11:f1c]: errno=Network is unreachable

Don't know what's wrong but something is, so i dug a bit, and found iksaif github page, and managed to git clone his repo and have the files over here, but when i try to make as the instructions say i get this:

root@MacBookPro-CrunchBang:/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms# make
make -C drivers/platform/x86 default
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86'
make -C /lib/modules/3.11-10.dmz.1-liquorix-686/build SUBDIRS=/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86 asus-wmi.ko eeepc-wmi.ko asus-nb-wmi.ko eeepc-laptop.ko asus-laptop.ko
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.11-10.dmz.1-liquorix-686'
  MODPOST 1 modules
  MODPOST 1 modules
  MODPOST 1 modules
  CC [M]  /home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.o
/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.c: In function ‘eeepc_set_fan_pwm’:
/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.c:1013:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘SENSORS_LIMIT’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.c: At top level:
/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.c:1383:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘eeepc_acpi_init’
/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.c:1415:23: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘eeepc_enable_camera’
/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.c:1427:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘eeepc_acpi_add’
/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.c:1538:10: error: ‘eeepc_acpi_add’ undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.c:1539:3: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.c:1539:3: warning: (near initialization for ‘eeepc_acpi_driver.ops.remove’) [enabled by default]
/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.c:471:12: warning: ‘eeepc_platform_init’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.c:542:12: warning: ‘eeepc_led_init’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.c:877:12: warning: ‘eeepc_rfkill_init’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.c:1119:12: warning: ‘eeepc_hwmon_init’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.c:1175:12: warning: ‘eeepc_backlight_init’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.c:1211:12: warning: ‘eeepc_input_init’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.c:1313:13: warning: ‘eeepc_dmi_check’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.c:1375:13: warning: ‘cmsg_quirks’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[3]: *** [/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [eeepc-laptop.ko] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.11-10.dmz.1-liquorix-686'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms/drivers/platform/x86'
make: *** [default] Error 2
root@MacBookPro-CrunchBang:/home/goncaloferreira/downloads/acpi4asus-dkms# 

i am getting those errors but i have no idea what to do to fix them anyone more insightful that may have more info? that would be much appreciated smile
If more info is needed please post what is needed and i ll do my best to get it smile

Last edited by Pockets69 (2014-03-15 19:28:44)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2014-01-12 07:39:40

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: [SOLVED] Asus S46 (same mobo as the K series) FN keys not working

Looks like the code is faulty, but I can't help with that smile

However, have you run xev to see how the keys are mapped? As a workaround you may be able to map scripts to do the actions you need.

Last edited by damo (2014-01-12 07:39:56)

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#3 2014-01-12 09:51:58

skbierm
#! Member

Did you setup your ASUS keyboard via

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

and choose ASUS-Laptop?

Running #! on
* Lenovo ThinkPad Edge e420s, Intel Core i5-2430M, 8 GB Ram, 320 GB HD, 1366x768, Intel GMA HD 3000 + AMD Radeon HD 6630M 2GB
* ASUS F55A-091D, Intel Pentium B980, 4 GB Ram, 500 GB HD, Intel HD Graphics, 1366x768
* Panasonic ToughBook CF-19, Intel Core Duo U7500, 4 GB Ram, 500 GB HD, Intel GMA 950, 1024x768 Touchdisplay

#4 2014-01-12 17:16:16

Pockets69

@damo
indeed the problem seems to be that the program does work, it did in the 2.6 kernels apparently (or so people have reported), it must have some compatibility problems with the few latest kernels 3.0 and onwards... the thing is i am not getting dependencies errors and packages missing, it simply errors out...

just run xev, i thought it was only for mouses and trackpads, but yeah just got xev working, the problem is i am not able to figure the keypresses, but it is actually doing something, when i do fn+f2 (one of the keys that doesn't do anything) it reacts and throws out some debugging, it just doesn't do what it is suposed to (disbale the wifi) any ideas how i should read the output xev gives out?

@skbiern yup just did that, and it was defaulted as generic keyboard, i changed to the following:
- Asus Laptop
- kb layout: Portuguese
- key to algr: default
- no compose key
- and alt backspace to terminate xserver (neat little trick)

rebooted, and its still the same, the keys that worked are still working, the keys that didn't are still not working.

Any idea? or am i doing something wrong...

thanks a lot guys for the time smile

Last edited by Pockets69 (2014-01-12 17:24:07)

#5 2014-01-12 17:35:44

damo
#! gimpbanger

xev will output the keycode for each key - both as descriptive names and codes.

You could make a keybind in rc.xml using these keycodes to run scripts eg a wireless ifup/ifdown script to enable/disable it
For example, my F7/sound key works when I have it bound to

<command>amixer set Master toggle</command>

You could also check out keymapping - eg Debian keyboard

Last edited by damo (2014-01-12 17:37:06)

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#6 2014-03-11 12:03:16

Pockets69

hey everyone, i thought about creating another thread, but seeing this thread is here and was originally created by me, i decided why cluttering the forum, with two similar threads, when i can just post here.

Anyway the post is about the same issue, more or less i managed to actually fix every key BUT one in a new install i did two days ago, i used some of the recomended actions that were given in this thread, but i am yet to fix the sleep shortcut, fn+f1.

I posted on reddit, my issues and what i could come up with, i am going to link the post here, can you guys please! have a look and guide me in the right direction, i don't know what else to do :S

http://www.reddit.com/r/CrunchBang/comm … _help_out/

thanks in advance for your time.

Last edited by Pockets69 (2014-03-11 12:04:12)

#7 2014-03-15 19:27:28

Pockets69

I fixed it myself, and in case anyone ends up having the same problem that i do here it is:

when you do acpi_listen on fn+f1 an event is created, that event comes up as button/sleep SBTN 00000080 00000000 take note of it.

go to /etc/acpi/event and create a file called sleepconf (you can give the name that you would like to give it doesn't really matter i decided for sleepconf)

in that file type the following: event=button/sleep SBTN 00000080 00000000 action=/usr/sbin/pm-suspend

and thats it save it, do service acpid restart, reboot, and when you are back you should be able to use the shortcut to suspend the computer.

action allows you to use a custom script that you would like i decided to use pm-suspend, you can use whatever you want.

There solved it, i hope this helps anyone having problems suspending or with acpi events in general.

Board footer