SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#426 2015-01-05 08:48:39

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Re: How we moderate your forum - feedback encouraged

Kay ... by the numbers. Gotta ask and/or babble some stuff.

1. Why hasn't anybody beheaded the troll ?
2. Everyone surely knows, the more ya feed a troll the greater their appetite becomes.
3. Why hasn't anybody beheaded the troll ?

4. With all due respect Nore, gotta totally disagree w whatcha said before fellow nixer. There are no people new to something, there are no advanced users and no experts ? We must live in different worlds. Cause the fact is obviously that all these diff types exist in every single field known to humanity. To think-say otherwise is imo insane.

5. What da heck does common-sense aka: Ew have to do with LBBQ ? Name of the thread last I checked was not "What do you think of what the bbq community posted during the holidays". So kinda have to wonder where in hades that even came from.

6. Point of fact, are a TON of kickbutt nixers who freq the Grill. Including the Grillmeister himself, Machinebacon and his expertise was well known and readily acknowledged when participating more in #! community. Not so much opinion, think it's simple fact that many of the folks who are regs @ the grill are advanced gnu/nix users and more than a few rightfully qualify as experts.

At least that's my opinion and view on it and based on observation and common sense ( < Not the trollish kind, da good stuff.) That doesn't make them technocrats. It makes them people who'd rather hang out in a place they like. Rather than in a place where they feel harassed, shackled and compelled to answer the same stupid and painfully obvious questions 53 times a visit. Ah crap ... Lastly.

7. Why hasn't anybody beheaded the troll ?

Vll! big_smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-01-05 08:52:41)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#427 2015-01-05 09:20:13

pvsage
Internal Affairs

machinebacon wrote:

It doesn't matter what's worse -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_ignoring

wink

Lay translation: "Donut feed." O:)

EDIT:  I could add a clip from Camaraderie is Supernatural, but I'm fairly certain I've posted it before ("Giggle at the Griefers").

Last edited by pvsage (2015-01-05 09:23:22)

#428 2015-01-05 09:25:29

nore
>2^9

CBizgreat! wrote:

There are no people new to something, there are no advanced users and no experts ? We must live in different worlds. Cause the fact is obviously that all these diff types exist in every single field known to humanity. To think-say otherwise is imo insane.

Of course some people are somewhat more experienced in something, and sharing that expertise and educating those who are less seasoned is the primary reason why this forum should exist in the first place. I agree with you that there are dumb questions, dumb ways of expressing a sane question and even dumb people (and dumb comparisons). But I'm against labeling people and shutting them inside boxes. Categorizing does not help communication, because in the end, you are always just facing different individuals, with different skills and backgrounds.

I picked up BBQers only for comparison, because they are often represented as a group of hardcore coders who are not afraid of black screen. Still they don't seem to hesitate participating an off topic every now and then. It doesn't diminish their glory. OT adds a touch of humanity in serious business. The comment was not meant to be thrown on your face, or any other individual or group, it was meant as a bait for the assumed troll. (Is baiting same as feeding?) The grillmeister took it just the way I thought he would, unless I've severely broken my sarcasm filter pack.

#429 2015-01-05 09:36:24

nore
>2^9

CBizgreat! wrote:

harassed, shackled and compelled to answer the same stupid and painfully obvious questions 53 times a visit an hour

That's what I do for a living. big_smile

#430 2015-01-05 10:07:52

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

nore wrote:

The grillmeister took it just the way I thought he would, unless I've severely broken my sarcasm filter pack.

nore -> Lakeland -> Gawith/Hoggarth -> unfiltered smile Nah, your comment made me smile, I like the picture of us surrounded by a gang of sweaty lads wink

"Pick up the soap!"

Sweaty lads picking up the soap | I love the new "Ignore user" button

#431 2015-01-05 10:31:16

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Lol ... dang it, the bait hooked me Nore. big_smile

Like the BBQers, so felt compelled to defend ... sighs. Honestly think yeah, bait, still feeds em. One of a forum trolls defining qualities ANY attention, any lil bit ... is still attention me thinks. Dang it, the friggin troll baited me to ! Talking bad about Core+Bobo + #! community and the distro.

OT: Am afraid to say atm not very approving of the #!-mods. The troll yet lives when he should've long been banished into the vortex of troll death ! Oh well ...

Vll! smile

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#432 2015-01-05 11:07:09

Alad
Software Satan

pvsage wrote:

^ & ^^:  I love you guys. {)

Ew is kinda right, though - he isn't a troll.  As best I can tell, he is the forum equivalent of a griefer.  Not sure which is worse.

... Sorry what?

I don't want to "tactically ignore" people when there are better measures to be taken. We were talking about banning members  because they genuinally discuss forum policy - I trust the mods enough to not do that, but people mentioned it anyway. At the same time an account which only serves to grief forum members (and mods) is free to have its way. I hope it's not because of his sockpuppets - he doesn't even bother to hide them.

PS: And just FYI, he's tried a bunch of other forums (Arch, Debian, etc., even BBQ), and is persona non grata in all of them. This forum is one of his few outlets - I wouldn't grant him that privilege.  neutral

Last edited by Alad (2015-01-05 11:29:46)

#433 2015-01-05 13:24:25

common-sense
#! CrunchBanger

Alad wrote:
pvsage wrote:

^ & ^^:  I love you guys. {)

Ew is kinda right, though - he isn't a troll.  As best I can tell, he is the forum equivalent of a griefer.  Not sure which is worse.

... Sorry what?

I don't want to "tactically ignore" people when there are better measures to be taken. We were talking about banning members  because they genuinally discuss forum policy - I trust the mods enough to not do that, but people mentioned it anyway. At the same time an account which only serves to grief forum members (and mods) is free to have its way. I hope it's not because of his sockpuppets - he doesn't even bother to hide them.

PS: And just FYI, he's tried a bunch of other forums (Arch, Debian, etc., even BBQ), and is persona non grata in all of them. This forum is one of his few outlets - I wouldn't grant him that privilege.  neutral

Just to correct you. I'm not banned or persona non grata in any of them, at least not the last time I checked. That could change of course, if some of you have any influence in those forums, or if there are other forum owners that frequent this forum and find that they want to ban me in their forum.

Finally. PVsage is correct. I'm no troll. You may think whatever you want about me, and wonder why I'm behaving like I do in this forum, but it started out with all the best intentions. And the fact that I'm not at all hiding the sockpuppetry should tell you that I'm not  trolling you as a game. As for the friendliness, I stick to what I've said before. Some of you are full of yourselves, and both sarcastic and cruel to newbies and other users with less skills.

Yes Alad, you are one of them. Clearly skillfull, but definately not someone who makes the community a friendly place for newbies. And there are several others of you who attacks me the most now, who are the worst kind of elitists. I'm no problem for Linux. But people like you definately are. It's people like you who give the linux communities a bad reputation everywhere. To a degree where the average user feels intimidated and scared to participate. So get back on your high horse and continue to degrade the newbies like you and the other elitists are so customed to.

At least I'm not picking the weakest to attack. And the only reason why I still drop in with a rare comment now and then, and the reason why I behave like I do, is simply because I don't want you bullies to think that you have the power to bully me out. You see, I'm not at all intimidated by you or anyone else in this community.

Finally. I may be childish and stubborn. But I didn't start the "war". Actually, it was Corenominals unprofessional behaviour towards me that triggered all this to start with. And face it, it's not like I'm spamming you or trolling you. It's just that the very few times I still make a post, I get the immediate attention and focus. If my intention had been to go to "war", then you would have witnessed a lot more than a discouraged and bitter comment now and then. But yes, I'm in a kind of a grief state.

This community was a very good place to hang for anyone interested in linux, regardless of skill-level. That isn't true any more, and nope, it is not me who are destroying this forum. It was destroyed a long time before I started to act out. The real infection are the elitists among you. It is you who make it a unfriendly place.

My behaviour and way to react to this might be both childish and counter-productive, but I sincearly hope that there are some among you who are intelligent enough to see that the degradation of this community is unrelated to my few and far between comments. Take a good look in the mirror people. The image isn't as pretty as you think.

#434 2015-01-05 13:33:30

Alad
Software Satan

^ TL;DR you got butthurt by (whatever core did or did not say to you), and use that as an excuse to troll the forums.

#435 2015-01-05 13:55:59

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

common-sense wrote:

tl;dr

I don't get you ew ...

<An analogy> ew comes to a restaurant, doesn't like furniture, and complains to manager. Manager says to ew: 'other people like it this way, so nothing will change'. Ew - butthurtedly - says loudly: 'this furniture sucks, and you all sucks, and I do not like it'. As a response, present people say 'If you do not like it, don't come here any more'. However, ew constantly comes to restaurant to brag about furniture ... irrespective the fact that there is plenty of other people who like it, and come to restaurant. And vast number of other restaurants with other type of furniture ...</An analogy>

So, ew, why on the earth you are resurrecting here on #! to tell us that we (!#, corenominal, users ...) suck? Is there some rule on internet which says that everything has to be as ew thinks it should be?

In my book, this qualifies as troll.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

#436 2015-01-05 14:37:39

snowpine
#!-a-roo

common-sense wrote:

I don't think that you self-righteous users are all that nice towards each other.

I never claimed to be nice to anyone, jerk-face.

wink

/hugged

#437 2015-01-05 16:26:11

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

@imbecil hello smile you forgot to mention that the food in the restaurant is gratis, the waiter works for free, the cook prepares the food (albeit a bit stale already) for free, and that the furniture was also paid by the host.

@ew hello smile some very true points there, yes.

#438 2015-01-05 16:34:19

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

machinebacon wrote:

@imbecil hello smile you forgot to mention that the food in the restaurant is gratis, the waiter works for free, the cook prepares the food (albeit a bit stale already) for free, and that the furniture was also paid by the host.

Hi MB! smile You put it so nicely ... almost nothing to add. Except that you can use toilet for free, too ... for whatever business you want to do there  wink

#439 2015-01-05 16:42:22

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

*picks up the soap again* wink

#440 2015-01-05 16:57:43

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

Ha ha, again, spot on!  big_smile  big_smile

#441 2015-01-05 18:01:33

pvsage
Internal Affairs

*drops a little something extra into ew's food; pulls up trou*
@machinebacon:  I think I've found a flaw in your analogy. O:)  We appreciate your support here though. {)

#442 2015-01-05 19:20:25

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

*dips end of towel in water*
S*N*A*P

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#443 2015-01-05 19:32:16

damo
#! gimpbanger

^ big_smile, you naughty boy!

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#444 2015-01-05 20:03:09

Rocky
#! Member

Whatever about the closed thread which gave rise to this thread I think this one has deteriorated to what sounds like a classroom of schoolchildren misbehaving when teacher leaves the room - a great example to any new member who may be browsing. Worse the prefects are joining in.

"All that glisters is not gold"

#445 2015-01-05 21:28:15

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Rocky wrote:

Whatever about the closed thread which gave rise to this thread I think this one has deteriorated to what sounds like a classroom of schoolchildren misbehaving when teacher leaves the room - a great example to any new member who may be browsing. Worse the prefects are joining in.

Boys will be hug boys.

/hugged

#446 2015-01-05 23:24:22

ohnonot
...again

machinebacon wrote:
nore wrote:

(Just take a look at bbq bbs, during holidays it was filled with music threads and overall nontechnical babble. If CB forums is a huggybear pony club, BBQ is like a swamp soccer team in sauna after a game.)

take off your clothes, dear Sir, we have already put the beer warm for you smile love this comment! (wait a minute - soccer? that's women's football, isn't it) wink

just to clarify: Swamp Soccer
(edit: it must be really nice to go to sauna after a game of that ;-)

--- and hopefully bring a lighter note to this thread.

Last edited by ohnonot (2015-01-06 21:16:57)

#447 2015-01-05 23:45:42

TicTac
#! Junkie

Hello everyone,

I didn't think I'd find cause to comment here again. Still, this distribution's been important to me over the years and upon reading, felt compelled to offer my feelings on the subject matter. I can only hope I'm permitted to do so.

Thank you to the few of you who PM'd me over the Holidays and more so to the couple of friends who felt it necessary to send me an email. I'm sorry I didn't respond as it's been a busy season but I'm grateful to all of you.  smile

The only individual I will mention here is Common-Sense and I do so to disclose, they are NOT one who has made any effort to contact me. I can recall a total of three time they and I have even conversed. I can't comment upon their apparent disagreement with "Core" or their prevalent attitude toward the Mods... I have nothing but fondness for all the Moderators within this community, your responsibilities are numerous and often go unappreciated. So, I'll take just a moment and say YOU ARE appreciated and thank you.

However, I do associate myself with the point made by Common-Sense with regard to the disturbing trend of elitism within this community. I've had CrunchBang as my primary OS since nearly it's inception, because of occupational restraints, I wasn't able to be an active member of this community but followed almost religiously this distribution and it's forum. More recently and because I was fortunate enough to retire AND because I too noticed a dismissive attitude towards new members, I tried to become active here but found myself running into a wall of core users who seem bent at not only obstructing new membership but at times, actively preventing it.

Case in point, this comment made today:

CBizgreat! wrote:

At least that's my opinion and view on it and based on observation and common sense ( < Not the trollish kind, da good stuff.) That doesn't make them technocrats. It makes them people who'd rather hang out in a place they like. Rather than in a place where they feel harassed, shackled and compelled to answer the same stupid and painfully obvious questions 53 times a visit.

Now, if I've mistaken the intent of this comment... I apologize but it serves to show the exact behavior some of us are trying to highlight.

An analogous personal experience... There were countless days as an ER Nurse when I wanted to turn to a patient with a folded forearm and say " You know, I've answered that damn question 53 times today... Why don't you run down the last dumbass who broke their arm doing something stupid and ask them! Better yet, here's my system pass phrase... Look it up yourself!"

Professional? No and don't all the members of this community have a responsibility upon some level to show new members or those with less pertinent knowledge a little more patience? Shouldn't the primary reason for this forum be the promotion of this distribution and if that's true, excusing the dismissive behavior of a core clique at the expense of new membership, seems very counterproductive too me!

Like it or not, it's there for all to see and if you choose not to... Your head's in the sand. You only need participate upon other forums to realize, CrunchBang's stellar reputation of being a truly open and helpful community is in dire jeopardy. I sincerely hope this distribution moves forward and this awesome community gets back on track.

**END OF RANT**  cool

Happy New Year to all smile

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#448 2015-01-06 00:09:25

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

^It would be much better if you waited with this comment till temp-closed-topic is reopened (if ever), because this topic here is about 'How we moderate your forum - feedback encouraged'. Your post screams to be in '[temp close] Shiny happy people holding hands. DREAM ON. smile'

(Consider this as a friendly advice ... I'm not a mod, nor admin ... and I don't have any power. Not here, not with my wife smile )

So, be patient.

#449 2015-01-06 00:40:07

TicTac
#! Junkie

iMBeCil wrote:

^It would be much better if you waited with this comment till temp-closed-topic is reopened (if ever), because this topic here is about 'How we moderate your forum - feedback encouraged'. Your post screams to be in '[temp close] Shiny happy people holding hands. DREAM ON. smile'
(Consider this as a friendly advice ... I'm not a mod, nor admin ... and I don't have any power. Not here, not with my wife smile )
So, be patient.

Power with regard to your Wife? Now, there's a contradiction in terms. Where in the world would you come up with such a silly notion?   big_smile

My comment was directed to the Mods, kind sir. If so many can be allowed to stand in bitter opposition to any member, surely one can show a little support for their shared perceptions. Judging from some of the stinging comments made today, seems fair to me. Yet, you're right and I may have no standing here. I'll leave it up to the Moderators to make the call.  smile

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

Be excellent to each other!

#450 2015-01-06 01:42:26

common-sense
#! CrunchBanger

Alad wrote:

^ TL;DR you got butthurt by (whatever core did or did not say to you), and use that as an excuse to troll the forums.

Nope. Not at all. I reacted to the fact that he acted one way in public, and in a totally different way in a PM he sent me after I thought we had made up and started from scratch. The problem with a approach like this, is that the community doesn't get the real picture.

That's what pissed me off. Don't pretend that we have made up and that everything is fine, if you in fact are nowhere near being fine with it. Shake hands in a public post, and then pretty much tell someone to take a hike in PM isn't a approach that I am easily willing to let anyone get away with.

Is that a reason to troll? Nope, but then again, I'm not trolling at all. If I was trolling, then I would have been her day and night, and attacked pretty much anyone for the fun and game. But I'm not. So far, until now, I haven't said a bad word about anyone besides the dev and some of his mods.

But as I now see some of your self-rightious posts, I feel entitled to share my perception of some of the elitists in here. I have restrained myself many times where I have reacted to the way that some of you answers newbies or users with less skills than yourself. It may be that I'm not especially kind to the dev and the mods, but some of you are pretty much ugly and sarcastic to anyone that you elitists perceive as stupid or less skilled.

Face it, this behaviour is much more damaging to the community, and it is a hell of a lot worse to be sarcastic and ugly to a curious newbie, than it is to be sarcastic to me, you, the dev or his mods. We can take it. But the newbies often gets discouraged and leave by their first bad and humiliating encounter with a linux forum.

If someone actually is stupid, then it's twice the reason to treat them in a way where they don't feel any more stupid than necessary. After all, this should be the friendly community. Right?

But now, I'm all fed up by some of you self-rightious elitists. At least I'm fully aware about how I am, how I behave, and how I am being perceived. You guys have your heads so far up where the sun never shines, that you never will become aware of your own behaviour.

Yes Alad. The elitists among you are much more damaging not only to this community, but to linux as a whole. Because it is you and your attitudes that prevent the common users to embrace Linux and participate actively in the communities. You guys chop of their heads every time they ask a question that seems stupid to you. The worst thing is that you probably want it like that. Scare away common people so that you can feel like a limited group of linux-geeks. In your mind, and what I sense behind the mushroom-infested babble by Cbiz, you really don't think that linux should be for everyone.. Do you ?

Well, I'm off. Some sanity finally hit me. Why stay in a community that's supposed to be nice and friendly, but where the major actors on the "scene" is anything but nice... Doesn't apply to all though. There are some experienced users that treats everyone with kindness and respect. Damo is a good example. If you guys was like him, then this would actually have been a nice place to hang. Even for noobs and newbies. Not only for grumpy and sour old men.

Does any of this excuse my behaviour that is causing some to mistake me for a troll? Nope, not at all. But that doesn't make it any less true. You are the real infection, and you are what will cause this community to implode, regardless if I am here or not. But your wish is granted. I'm off. It will not make this community any better, but at least I free myself from the horror of watching the community that I once loved, to deteriorate into a ugly and unfriendly place for elitists and others who are full of themselves.

Bye Bye. Live well, and for your sake, I do hope that some of you take a deep look in the mirror and start acting as friendly and welcoming as you're supposed to be. Be especially nice to the ones that you think are stupid.

Ugh. The only sign of common-sense has left the building. And CBiz, lighten up on those mushrooms tongue

Board footer