SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-09 18:58:55

arandompenguin
Member
From: England
Registered: 2013-08-09
Posts: 11
Website

Booting Microsoft XP from USB

Hiya, back when I had to switch to Linux (Namely Ubuntu 12.10) in order to get past a corrupted Windows Vista installation on an old computer, I decided to make an ISO from my brother's Windows XP SP2 laptop just in case I didn't like how Linux worked and wanted to go back to Microsoft. However, that time never came and so the ISO just gathered dust on a memory stick. Now though, I'm dual-booting Crunchbang 11 and Kali Linux, and am perfectly happy with how that works out. However, despite huge movements forward with getting Windows applications working on Linux, there are still a number of things that refuse to play nice (such as Unity Web Player) and so I now feel the need to add a third boot option out of that old XP ISO.

I have a 4GB Sandisk Cruzer Micro that I've used for a number of live installations (Ubuntu, Mint, Crunchbang, Backtrack, Kali) and so I thought that to be the perfect candidate for creating this triple-boot setup. Now, here's where things have gone rather wrong. I followed the instructions of a thread in the askUbuntu forums which told me to use Gparted to format the drive to NTFS in order to get it to work with XP. That was done soon enough and the so I moved on to using Unetbootin to create the bootable drive. I had to get an earlier version (506) in order to get that 'Display all drives' option so that it may recognise the NTFS formatted drive. Eventually, it finished creating the drive and I attempted to boot from it. However, when I tried this, it simply displayed 'BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart', and so I found myself here in order to see if any of you awesome people had any idea what to do from here. Could you please help?

N.B. I tried this with a drive that was not formatted with NTFS too, and that got to the boot page where the only option was Default. However, I could not choose the option (not because it was greyed out or anything, but because choosing it simply reset the 'Automatic Boot in 10' countdown). Furthermore, the Automatic Boot in 10 countdown simply reset to 10 whenever it reached 0.

Last edited by arandompenguin (2013-08-09 19:00:18)

Offline

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-08-10 01:55:31

hinto
#! Windbag
From: Cary, NC
Registered: 2010-12-08
Posts: 1,487

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

FWIW, It's much easier to install XP as a guest OS on a Linux host using VMPlayer or VirtualBox.
-Hinto


"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

Offline

#3 2013-08-10 09:43:21

arandompenguin
Member
From: England
Registered: 2013-08-09
Posts: 11
Website

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

Thank you for the reply. However, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at as my issues are with actually booting XP from my memory stick. I can't use XP inside of Virtualbox or other such software, as my laptop is far from capable of handling it during what I plan to use XP for, which is mostly either gaming or graphic work.

Last edited by arandompenguin (2013-08-10 09:44:53)

Offline

#4 2013-08-10 09:58:03

ohyran
#! Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2013-05-31
Posts: 80
Website

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

This is the worst answer in the history of bad answers to any question ... buuut I found this thing and thought I could post the link (I've never tried to install windows on anything since I don't feel technically adept enough for it):

http://www.komku.org/2008/11/install-wi … -disk.html

It seems to contain allot more steps and fiddly bits so I thought chances are you hadn't tried it yet which is my justification for posting it (I hate it when I ask something and some random dude just post the first thing that pops up when you google it, as if I hadn't already done that google bit - so I'm sorry for doing it but I thought it looked interesting).

Good luck though! <--- my contribution smile


>>>I draw pretty pictures for a living!<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>#! Animal<<<<<<<<<<<<

Offline

#5 2013-08-10 10:14:31

Ocean
New Member
Registered: 2013-08-10
Posts: 7

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

Could perhaps be some useful info here too, unless you've already tried it:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/162174/h … -installer

Good luck! smile

Offline

#6 2013-08-10 12:53:10

arandompenguin
Member
From: England
Registered: 2013-08-09
Posts: 11
Website

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

ohyran wrote:

This is the worst answer in the history of bad answers to any question ... buuut I found this thing and thought I could post the link (I've never tried to install windows on anything since I don't feel technically adept enough for it):

http://www.komku.org/2008/11/install-wi … -disk.html

It seems to contain allot more steps and fiddly bits so I thought chances are you hadn't tried it yet which is my justification for posting it (I hate it when I ask something and some random dude just post the first thing that pops up when you google it, as if I hadn't already done that google bit - so I'm sorry for doing it but I thought it looked interesting).

Good luck though! <--- my contribution smile

Thanks for the reply! However, it seems that that link is for a solely Windows based solution. I'll save the link though, in case I can't find a Linux-based solution and am forced to drive to my brother's house and use his machine.

Offline

#7 2013-08-10 12:54:35

arandompenguin
Member
From: England
Registered: 2013-08-09
Posts: 11
Website

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

Ocean wrote:

Could perhaps be some useful info here too, unless you've already tried it:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/162174/h … -installer

Good luck! smile

Thanks for the reply!  Unfortunately, one of the two solutions there is what I did the first time, which resulted in the BOOTMGR is missing message, and the other is Windows based (for some unfathomable reason), thanks anyways though.

Offline

#8 2013-08-10 13:58:46

hinto
#! Windbag
From: Cary, NC
Registered: 2010-12-08
Posts: 1,487

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

My point is you cannot boot XP from a stick.
-H


"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

Offline

#9 2013-08-10 14:12:50

Ocean
New Member
Registered: 2013-08-10
Posts: 7

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

hinto wrote:

My point is you cannot boot XP from a stick.
-H

Oh... So, this won't be a problem with Vista or Windows 7?
I ask because I just tried the same thing and ended up with the same error. But my wife will soon enough ask me to re-install windows 7 on her laptop and since her dvd drive is busted I'd best be prepared.  roll

Offline

#10 2013-08-10 14:15:29

hinto
#! Windbag
From: Cary, NC
Registered: 2010-12-08
Posts: 1,487

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

No you can't do it with them, either.
You could do it with a "rack" set up but not on a stick or an external USB drive.   Windows boot loader won't work there.  That's why I mentioned VMPlayer (or Virtual Box).  That's what I use.
-Hinto


"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

Offline

#11 2013-08-10 16:06:15

arandompenguin
Member
From: England
Registered: 2013-08-09
Posts: 11
Website

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

hinto wrote:

No you can't do it with them, either.
You could do it with a "rack" set up but not on a stick or an external USB drive.   Windows boot loader won't work there.  That's why I mentioned VMPlayer (or Virtual Box).  That's what I use.
-Hinto

Hmm, is it possible to give VirtualBox access to the entire drive and install XP onto an unused partition through that? Because that would be a most favourable solution.

Offline

#12 2013-08-10 17:35:14

yaun
New Member
Registered: 2013-07-07
Posts: 5

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

Just in case you haven't already read about this: the Windows installation has to be on the first partition of the drive you want it installed on. Please don't ask me to explain why, it's just what others always end up saying about dual-booting with Windows. Evidently it's a "me first" kind of OS.
  You could try using a partition tool to move your Linux installations away from the "front" of the disc to make room for Windows, or just reinstall once it's up and running.
  As for the install, the only time I've done it from a USB was with YUMI using a Win7 iso.
  Of course you need Windows to use YUMI to prepare the stick tongue but it does work. At least, it did for me. The Windows installer should offer to do the necessary formatting.

Offline

#13 2013-08-10 19:30:15

arandompenguin
Member
From: England
Registered: 2013-08-09
Posts: 11
Website

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

yaun wrote:

Just in case you haven't already read about this: the Windows installation has to be on the first partition of the drive you want it installed on. Please don't ask me to explain why, it's just what others always end up saying about dual-booting with Windows. Evidently it's a "me first" kind of OS.
  You could try using a partition tool to move your Linux installations away from the "front" of the disc to make room for Windows, or just reinstall once it's up and running.
  As for the install, the only time I've done it from a USB was with YUMI using a Win7 iso.
  Of course you need Windows to use YUMI to prepare the stick tongue but it does work. At least, it did for me. The Windows installer should offer to do the necessary formatting.

Thanks for the reply! Say, I don't suppose you know if it's possible to make an existing partition the first partition in the drive without having to reinstall the OS's? I managed to get Windows XP installed upon a paritition through VirtualBox, but it BSODs every time I try to load it natively (it works fine within VirtualBox), and now that you've pointed that out to me, I fear that may be the issue. Any ideas?

Offline

#14 2013-08-10 20:32:48

yaun
New Member
Registered: 2013-07-07
Posts: 5

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

possible to make an existing partition the first partition in the drive without having to reinstall the OS's

  That would be the part about using the partition tool. The only issue there is that the drive can't be mounted while you move the partitions around.
(or if it can, it's beyond my experience)         
  You'd need to use a live distro or recovery tool set from Disc or USB  to do this with. Also the drive needs an amount of free space at the "end" greater than or equal to the size of the partition you want to create at the "front".

   Each existing paritition has to be moved further away from the beggining of the harddrive into the freespace at the end.
Once you've got that sorted, if you're lucky, you should just be able to copy your Windows partition from where it was moved to over to the newly created freespace at the front of the drive.
  The gods that control this process don't seem to favor me sad which is why I mentioned reinstalling. So far I've only ever managed to move things around. Backup your backups of anything important before taking this any further.

If you still get the error about missing MBR once Windows is in front where it wants to be, then this may be helpful.

Offline

#15 2013-08-10 20:57:35

arandompenguin
Member
From: England
Registered: 2013-08-09
Posts: 11
Website

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

yaun wrote:

possible to make an existing partition the first partition in the drive without having to reinstall the OS's

  That would be the part about using the partition tool. The only issue there is that the drive can't be mounted while you move the partitions around.
(or if it can, it's beyond my experience)         
  You'd need to use a live distro or recovery tool set from Disc or USB  to do this with. Also the drive needs an amount of free space at the "end" greater than or equal to the size of the partition you want to create at the "front".

   Each existing paritition has to be moved further away from the beggining of the harddrive into the freespace at the end.
Once you've got that sorted, if you're lucky, you should just be able to copy your Windows partition from where it was moved to over to the newly created freespace at the front of the drive.
  The gods that control this process don't seem to favor me sad which is why I mentioned reinstalling. So far I've only ever managed to move things around. Backup your backups of anything important before taking this any further.

If you still get the error about missing MBR once Windows is in front where it wants to be, then this may be helpful.

Alright, I'll give it a look-see, thanks again.

Offline

#16 2013-08-11 19:22:42

hinto
#! Windbag
From: Cary, NC
Registered: 2010-12-08
Posts: 1,487

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

arandompenguin wrote:
hinto wrote:

No you can't do it with them, either.
You could do it with a "rack" set up but not on a stick or an external USB drive.   Windows boot loader won't work there.  That's why I mentioned VMPlayer (or Virtual Box).  That's what I use.
-Hinto

Hmm, is it possible to give VirtualBox access to the entire drive and install XP onto an unused partition through that? Because that would be a most favourable solution.

You can create a vmx/vdi virtual disk description with it pointing to an actual partition, but it will save you headaches if you just let it create a virtual disk.  Once you do that, then you just install any OS you want on it.  Alternatively you can create a guest from a physical machine.
-Hinto


"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

Offline

#17 2013-08-12 00:39:29

Rumpelstiltskin
#! Member
Registered: 2011-02-22
Posts: 94

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

I usually use Rufus  from windows to create bootable windows usb drives. I guess you can try it with wine and see if it works.

Offline

#18 2013-08-12 00:43:42

hinto
#! Windbag
From: Cary, NC
Registered: 2010-12-08
Posts: 1,487

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

^That's not what the OP is talking about.  He wants to boot Windows from a USB.
-Hinto


"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

Offline

#19 2013-08-12 01:49:19

Rumpelstiltskin
#! Member
Registered: 2011-02-22
Posts: 94

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

^Sorry, I misunderstood :8

Offline

#20 2013-08-12 02:26:10

arandompenguin
Member
From: England
Registered: 2013-08-09
Posts: 11
Website

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

hinto wrote:
arandompenguin wrote:
hinto wrote:

No you can't do it with them, either.
You could do it with a "rack" set up but not on a stick or an external USB drive.   Windows boot loader won't work there.  That's why I mentioned VMPlayer (or Virtual Box).  That's what I use.
-Hinto

Hmm, is it possible to give VirtualBox access to the entire drive and install XP onto an unused partition through that? Because that would be a most favourable solution.

You can create a vmx/vdi virtual disk description with it pointing to an actual partition, but it will save you headaches if you just let it create a virtual disk.  Once you do that, then you just install any OS you want on it.  Alternatively you can create a guest from a physical machine.
-Hinto

I can't just run the OS from inside VirtualBox forever, since my main usage of it is too labour intensive for my laptop to handle even when I turn off all non-essential processes in Crunchbang before running the VM. I attempted to point it towards an actual partition and managed to install it there. However, I am only able to boot it from inside Virtualbox, if I attempt to choose it from the GRUB menu, it flashes blue and then restarts. I don't suppose you have any ideas?

EDIT: Someone suggested I create a different hardware profile whilst using XP inside Virtualbox, but that didn't help either.

Last edited by arandompenguin (2013-08-12 02:27:37)

Offline

#21 2013-08-12 02:38:40

hinto
#! Windbag
From: Cary, NC
Registered: 2010-12-08
Posts: 1,487

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

You cannot boot a virtualbox image from grub.
Your only other option is to set up a dual boot and run Windows or #! (deciding at boot).  This of course means that you have the hard drive space to house both.
-Hinto


"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

Offline

#22 2013-08-12 04:54:55

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2012-05-22
Posts: 2,205

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

some thoughts:

- running windows from a usb stick might be slow, too - usb sticks are usually slower than hard drives.

- since you have the actual .iso already, why not try putting it on usb with dd. there's countless explanations, e.g. here. but i suspect it won't work...

- http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread … p-live-usb

Offline

#23 2013-08-12 09:33:38

twoion
Emerald Caffeine
From: 星界
Registered: 2012-05-11
Posts: 1,648

Re: Booting Microsoft XP from USB

arandompenguin wrote:
hinto wrote:

No you can't do it with them, either.
You could do it with a "rack" set up but not on a stick or an external USB drive.   Windows boot loader won't work there.  That's why I mentioned VMPlayer (or Virtual Box).  That's what I use.
-Hinto

Hmm, is it possible to give VirtualBox access to the entire drive and install XP onto an unused partition through that? Because that would be a most favourable solution.

I don't know about virtualbox, but it can be done using KVM ("block device pass-through")  and by your graphics work requirement it should be preferred over virtualbox:

If you want to do data- and graphics-heavy work on the Windows VM, you should use KVM (with its virtio technology) instead which beats VirtualBox in terms of disk I/O performance by miles, and its major weakness - graphics performance -  can be fixed by using SPICE http://spice-space.org, which can provide (partially) accelerated graphics for QEMU/KVM based virtual machines.


Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
Server: acrobat

Debian Logo