SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-24 22:41:07

xoraxiom

[SOLVED] *Tracking Unstable/Sid* (libgtk-3-0)

The recent (past 12 hours) update to the package: libgtk-3-0 v3.8.2-1 in unstable is not playing nicely with the default gtk theme of CrunchBang. This results in segfaults when trying to launch: synaptic, transmission, nm-applet, etc.

I'm reasonably certain loading a different theme may rectify this, but have yet to identify a built-in theme which does not produce segfaults.

Debian Bug-Report: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=709548

## UPDATE
A functional GTK 3.8 theme is available here: cb-waldorf-xoraxiom

Everyone is welcome to contribute to making it more 'waldorf/crunchbang' consistent via GitHub.

To install it; download the repository using the 'ZIP' button on the upper left, and:

(copy) cb-waldorf-xoraxiom (into) /usr/share/themes/

$ lxappearance
(select cb-waldorf-xoraxiom  ...this sets it for $USER)

$ sudo lxappearance
(select cb-waldorf-xoraxiom ...this sets it for ROOT)

(you may need to logout/in for the changes to stick (problems? try deleting .gtkrc-2.0.mine in $HOME, and repeat))

Last edited by xoraxiom (2013-06-03 05:38:45)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-05-24 23:47:43

ew
#! Die Hard

Re: [SOLVED] *Tracking Unstable/Sid* (libgtk-3-0)

xoraxiom wrote:

The recent (past 12 hours) update to the package: libgtk-3-0 v3.8.2-1 in unstable is not playing nicely with the default gtk theme of CrunchBang. This results in segfaults when trying to launch: synaptic, transmission, nm-applet, etc.

I'm reasonably certain loading a different theme may rectify this, but have yet to identify a built-in theme which does not produce segfaults.

Debian Bug-Report: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=709548

I`ve run into this issue. I did a dist-upgrade yesterday but got a warning from listbugs and aborted the upgrade. Then I tried again today, and didn`t get any warning, so I went trough with the dist-upgrade. Now nm-applet is not showing in the tray, and synaptic will not launch. My wifi-connection still works though, so I guess I will sit tight and hope that this will fix itself in one of the next few days...

- apt-mark hold account

#3 2013-05-25 00:17:16

xoraxiom

Perhaps, since it seems to be an issue with the waldorf gtk theme, it may be some time before it is resolved.

If you switch to the theme 'TropicBomb' using lxappearance, it seems to mitigate the segfault issue, and 'TropicBomb' is fairly close to the defaut 'waldorf' theme.

Try this:

geany ~/.gtkrc-2.0 ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine

(change) 
gtk-theme-name="waldorf" 
(to) 
gtk-theme-name="TropicBomb"

(similarly for) 
/root/{.gtkrc-2.0,.gtkrc-2.0.mine}

You may need to restart X for everything to stick.

I'm sure there is a better way to address this, perhaps it is time to sort out how to code gtk themes... 8o

#4 2013-05-25 00:23:25

ew
#! Die Hard

xoraxiom wrote:

Perhaps, since it seems to be an issue with the waldorf gtk theme, it may be some time before it is resolved.

If you switch to the theme 'TropicBomb' using lxappearance, it seems to mitigate the segfault issue, and 'TropicBomb' is fairly close to the defaut 'waldorf' theme.

Try this:

geany ~/.gtkrc-2.0 ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine

(change) 
gtk-theme-name="waldorf" 
(to) 
gtk-theme-name="TropicBomb"

(similarly for) 
/root/{.gtkrc-2.0,.gtkrc-2.0.mine}

You may need to restart X for everything to stick.

I'm sure there is a better way to address this, perhaps it is time to sort out how to code gtk themes... 8o

I tried another theme that I have, Delorean Dark. It gave me the nm-applet visible in the tray again, but didn`t fix transmission or synaptic issue. I tried Tropic Bomb now, and it didn`t help. But I`ll try rebooting with it and see what happens...

Tried it now, and it doesn`t work completely for me. Fixes most of my apps, but not Synaptic... But it`s better than it was, and I will live with it as a temporarily solution...

Last edited by ew (2013-05-25 00:32:50)

- apt-mark hold account

#5 2013-05-25 01:16:13

ew
#! Die Hard

Have anyone experienced increased fan activity after the last dist-upgrade with Sid? I also have siduction kernel 3.9.3. Not quite sure what`s causing it. Rebooted into CB-Jessie/Janice with kernel 3.2.0.4 now, and it`s much more quiet...

- apt-mark hold account

#6 2013-05-25 07:22:52

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

ew wrote:

Have anyone experienced increased fan activity after the last dist-upgrade with Sid? I also have siduction kernel 3.9.3. Not quite sure what`s causing it. Rebooted into CB-Jessie/Janice with kernel 3.2.0.4 now, and it`s much more quiet...

I began experiencing increased fan activity when the kernel was upgraded to 3.8.0-1 3.8-1 in Sid.  I was hoping the upgrade to 3.8.0-2 3.8-2 would remedy the issue, but no such luck.  I did notice something about ATI during a reboot this morning.  It must have something to do with the ATI/AMD graphics card in my laptop.  I'm using the latest AMD Catalyst driver and software; v13.1.  My card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570.

I also run Sid on an ASUS UL20A laptop and I haven't had any increased fan activity on that machine.

You should be able to choose the earlier kernel (3.2.0-4) from GRUB during bootup though.  That's what I'm currently doing on my laptop with the ATI card until the issue resolves itself.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2013-05-30 19:56:32)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#7 2013-05-25 08:07:24

ew
#! Die Hard

KrunchTime wrote:
ew wrote:

I began experiencing increased fan activity when the kernel was upgraded to 3.8.0-1 in Sid.  I was hoping the upgrade to 3.8.0-2 would remedy the issue, but no such luck.  I did notice something about ATI during a reboot this morning.  It must have something to do with the ATI/AMD graphics card in my laptop.  I'm using the latest AMD Catalyst driver and software; v13.1.  My card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570.

I also run Sid on an ASUS UL20A laptop and I haven't had any increased fan activity on that machine.

You should be able to choose the earlier kernel (3.2.0-4) from GRUB during bootup though.  That's what I'm currently doing on my laptop with the ATI card until the issue resolves itself.

I`ve removed kernel 3.2.0.4 on this install, but it`s not a big issue, because I have a second CB-install on the same pc, that`s tracking Jessie. I guess it was a good idea to add a second and more stable install...

- apt-mark hold account

#8 2013-05-25 12:56:09

Blackout

same here I changed my
/etc/apt/preferences to

Package: *
Pin: release a=waldorf
Pin-Priority: 1010

Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 1001

Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 100

made an

apt-get update
apt-get -s upgrade // just to see if it works
apt-get install libgtk-3.0 -V

and installed the old version 3.4.xxx
works like before, will wait for the next release or a bugfix

Last edited by Blackout (2013-05-25 12:56:41)

#9 2013-05-25 19:14:27

ew
#! Die Hard

Thanks. That fixed it for now:)

- apt-mark hold account

#10 2013-05-25 19:44:31

rebornmechanics
#! CrunchBanger

Not sure if this is a bug or if it's intended. clearlooks-phenix-theme has been updated to work with the latest gtk3 update. I haven't been tracking the buglists so I'm not sure about any of this, but my thought is that present themes will have to be updated in a similar fashion.

Also: If you have to get these applications to work without a downgrade, your options would be using either a gtk2 only theme (which reverts all gt3 apps to the ugly fallback look) or to mix your theme with a working gtk3 folder (like clearlooks-phenix) until this is taken care of.

Cheers

#11 2013-05-25 22:24:28

ew
#! Die Hard

rebornmechanics wrote:

Not sure if this is a bug or if it's intended. clearlooks-phenix-theme has been updated to work with the latest gtk3 update. I haven't been tracking the buglists so I'm not sure about any of this, but my thought is that present themes will have to be updated in a similar fashion.

Also: If you have to get these applications to work without a downgrade, your options would be using either a gtk2 only theme (which reverts all gt3 apps to the ugly fallback look) or to mix your theme with a working gtk3 folder (like clearlooks-phenix) until this is taken care of.

Cheers

It`s working fine after downgrading libgtk 3.0, but if it`s intended, then I`m obviously going to handle it somehow, because I will not sit on downgraded packages for too long....

- apt-mark hold account

#12 2013-05-25 22:42:11

sysaxed
#! Member

KrunchTime wrote:
ew wrote:

I began experiencing increased fan activity when the kernel was upgraded to 3.8.0-1 in Sid.  I was hoping the upgrade to 3.8.0-2 would remedy the issue, but no such luck.  I did notice something about ATI during a reboot this morning.  It must have something to do with the ATI/AMD graphics card in my laptop.  I'm using the latest AMD Catalyst driver and software; v13.1.  My card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570.

Oh, fan activity? I have that too, but I thought that it was hardware related. Any fix for that?

libgtk maintainer said this:
"Sure, the thing is that the CSS theming code in gtk has changed, so
(alternative) themes / theme engines need to be updated."
Which means that gtk is not going to be fixed and we have to wait for the theme update...

#13 2013-05-25 22:50:45

ew
#! Die Hard

sysaxed wrote:
KrunchTime wrote:
ew wrote:

Oh, fan activity? I have that too, but I thought that it was hardware related. Any fix for that?

Which means that gtk is not going to be fixed and we have to wait for the theme update...

Or change to a new gtk-3 theme. I upgraded again, and tried changing to "clearlooks-phenix" which was supposed to handle the new libgtk-3-0. Besides being a ugly theme, it doesn`t work perfect. I`m unable to launch synaptic with it... The other apps seem to work. I will try a few other new gtk3-themes, before I give up and downgrade again...

Last edited by ew (2013-05-25 22:53:24)

- apt-mark hold account

#14 2013-05-26 00:14:00

sysaxed
#! Member

ew wrote:
sysaxed wrote:
KrunchTime wrote:

Or change to a new gtk-3 theme. I upgraded again, and tried changing to "clearlooks-phenix" which was supposed to handle the new libgtk-3-0. Besides being a ugly theme, it doesn`t work perfect. I`m unable to launch synaptic with it... The other apps seem to work. I will try a few other new gtk3-themes, before I give up and downgrade again...

Somebody in this thread already suggested TropicBomb theme which works fine. You can also use Adwaita theme which will become available after installing gnome-themes-standard

#15 2013-05-26 00:23:40

ew
#! Die Hard

sysaxed wrote:

Somebody in this thread already suggested TropicBomb theme which works fine. You can also use Adwaita theme which will become available after installing gnome-themes-standard

Didn`t like those themes, and then it doesn`t help that someone suggest them. Using a theme you don`t like, just to be able to open some apps, is a solution that I can not live with. Adwaita is especially horrible. Nope, the best thing to do, is to visit GNOME-look.org and find a theme that you actually  like. I found Boje-greyscale which looks awesome together with the Clarity-icons, so I`m a happy camper. No issues for me. Everything is nice and dandy:)

- apt-mark hold account

#16 2013-05-26 00:40:00

gurtid
#! Junkie

i got the waldorf theme going ok by copying over the gtk3 components from the latest shimmerproject greybird theme (and then tweaking out the horrid blue colour big_smile and commenting out the lightDM theme stuff) but i'll have to check out Boje-greyscale.

That kernel runs very hot on my laptop for whatever reason. I'm going to downgrade the kernel.

Note: this is on Siduction Firestarter XFCE which already comes with libgtk-3-0 v3.8.2-1 ootb. The update from the other day totally borked my #! install big_smile

[edit] Boje-greyscale - oh no! - far to dark for me hmm

Last edited by gurtid (2013-05-26 00:43:06)

all your Base are belong to us

#17 2013-05-26 00:47:31

ew
#! Die Hard

gurtid wrote:

i got the waldorf theme going ok by copying over the gtk3 components from the latest shimmerproject greybird theme (and then tweaking out the horrid blue colour big_smile and commenting out the lightDM theme stuff) but i'll have to check out Boje-greyscale.

That kernel runs very hot on my laptop for whatever reason. I'm going to downgrade the kernel.

Note: this is on Siduction Firestarter XFCE which already comes with libgtk-3-0 v3.8.2-1 ootb. The update from the other day totally borked my #! install big_smile

What kernel are you using? I upgraded from 3.9.3 to 3.9.4-towo-siduction-amd64 today, and it doesn`t seem to run quite as hot, maybe it`s just wishful thinking and the fact that the television is to loud to hear the fans. But to be serious, it seems a bit better after the kernel upgrade today:)

- apt-mark hold account

#18 2013-05-26 00:52:02

gurtid
#! Junkie

64bit 3.9.3  - i'll go to 3.9.4 tonight and see how it goes - thx for the info.

all your Base are belong to us

#19 2013-05-26 12:23:23

ew
#! Die Hard

gurtid wrote:

[edit] Boje-greyscale - oh no! - far to dark for me hmm

I love the dark-themes. Other themes that I sometimes use are darkstar and delorean-dark. Always dark:)

- apt-mark hold account

#20 2013-05-26 15:02:26

rebornmechanics
#! CrunchBanger

ew wrote:

I love the dark-themes. Other themes that I sometimes use are darkstar and delorean-dark. Always dark:)

I like dark themes as well. Running a gtk2 theme I found on xfce-look.org until the whole gtk3 thing is resolved.

I miss my non-ugly rhythmbox though.

#21 2013-05-26 23:35:15

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

It is the usual Gnome 3 madness. Just replace the theme by a Gtk 3.8 compatible one. I have only Transmission and it works perfectly with the popular Numix theme.

ew wrote:

Yes. I am back on 3.2 since 3.8 hit the Sid repos. IMO, 3.8 is for the toilet at the moment.

#22 2013-05-26 23:50:19

Super-Nathan
#! CrunchBanger
Website

These themes seem to be working for most apps for me right now

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ … ent=156782

There is one that looks a lot like walkdorf!

#echo "Something useful" > /dev/null

PiBang Linux

#23 2013-05-28 04:06:41

Papa_5murf

Thanks goodness i don't have to reinstall my system after changing the theme as soon if that waldorf theme works again  O:)

This is a room that has no floor, no walls, no windows, and also no door. What is it? -Papa Smurf

#24 2013-05-28 04:33:39

Papa_5murf

But yet no success on synaptic. 8.(  (At lest we have aptitude ]:D )

This is a room that has no floor, no walls, no windows, and also no door. What is it? -Papa Smurf

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2013-05-28 05:21:19

lowrider
#! Die Hard

To make synaptic work again you have to edit roots gtk-3 config file

gksu geany /root/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

change the line that says gtk-theme-name to your liking.
tadaa...

came for the distro, stayed for the community
streamripper :: smxi

Board footer