SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2013-05-08 07:34:49

Milozzy
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Ideas for Janice

Maybe I'm the only one, but I really like and love pulseaudio! big_smile

Be excellent to each other!

#52 2013-05-08 08:05:44

Distrohopper79

qmmp for music

Options to install Photo- Tool like Gimp and Darktable
Maybe a small and light Twitterclient smile

Last edited by Distrohopper79 (2013-05-08 14:08:06)

#53 2013-05-08 08:44:12

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Maybe use busybox, it has come a long way, might allow for CD sized distro again.
A good selection of command line apps, they don't take up many MBs.
(mc sc screen mplayer moc lynx mutt fbi - should cover most peoples needs)
Option to create a netboot server (?).
Personally, I can't stand full screen music managers, but could be an optional install for those that do.
Not having GIMP pre installed, but have it as an option.
(I like Waldorf so don't deviate too far from the format.)

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

#54 2013-05-08 08:59:05

slartie
#! Member

I'd say tmux over screen. Screen is basically dead.

#55 2013-05-08 10:38:48

okubax
Website

+1 for keeping pulseaudio, As an audiophile, most of my audio apps need/require pulse

#56 2013-05-08 11:15:29

kiiroitori
#! CrunchBanger

Flatstudio, spacefm, no abiword and all what you guys said.

Also cb-welcome should start like this
"Welcome to the best linux distribution in the whole universe. This distro is a blessing handed down to us by Overlord Corenominal. Cherish His Name and His Updates pouring down from the internet high above. Bow before this terminal emulator and press any key to continue."

Or something along those lines.

I love #! more than my own kids. I told them and they sympathized.

#57 2013-05-08 13:36:45

cortman
#! CrunchBanger

1. Keep SLiM! It's very light, very simple and extremely easy to configure. That was one of the top things I liked about 11 over 10.
2. Keep Gimp and Thunar.
3. Use FlatStudio for default theme. (or a respin of it).
4. An improved and functional crunchbox-type application? Crunchbox itself didn't work too good for me.

Just a few ideas.

Last edited by cortman (2013-05-08 13:37:03)

Copy.com offers 15 GB free cloud storage plus 5 GB extra for both of us when you use my my referral link. smile

#58 2013-05-08 13:40:36

rahmu
Website

• By removing Gimp and Abiword #! might be able to fit on a CD again.

• I would prefer focusing on adding things on top of the existing Openbox setup. Bickering over which apps will be available by default is a bit useless. (Lightdm vs SLiM, Firefox vs Chrome, VLC vs Deadbeef or whatever).

• Disabling the touchpad while typing can bring a real added value to the distro.

• Easier support out-of-the-box for multi WM.

• Bumblebee by default. I don't want to recompile my kernel every time.

• If we're considering systemd, can we make it optional (as a choice in the cb-welcome script?)

Hope it helps.

Turtles have it figured out, man

#59 2013-05-08 13:44:04

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

We've discussed default apps before -- every program is just an apt-get away. The only way to get a true sense would be to have an actual poll for browser, media player, etc., to get actual numbers who support each one.

Having said that, it's still up to corenominal as to what he wants to include. I don't think anyone uses a distro without adding or removing something, so its' really easy just to do that after an install anyway.

These discussions often go in circles -- iceweasel, no chrome, no iceweasel, no chrome, no firefox, no chrome, no iceaweasel, no opera, no chome, ...

Last edited by SabreWolfy (2013-05-08 16:11:48)

Support #!Waldorf • Debian sid • Xubuntu • siduction • Peppermint • OpenBox • Xfce • LXDE •

#60 2013-05-08 13:49:36

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

^ Well said, I agree.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#61 2013-05-08 14:36:48

kozimodo
#! Member

1. An automatically updating menu.  I've used openbox-menu which is a bit slow but I recently switched to obmenu-generator which is fairly snappy and has easily customizable menus.  So far my only complaint is that it currently does not have a way to pick up "Other" applications.

2. I'm happy to leave things like gimp, abiword/libreoffice, etc. out -- I can install such on my own.  But applications that contribute heavily to the look/feel/functionality should be fixed.  For example, thunar vs spacefm.

#62 2013-05-08 16:48:40

pan14

Is there anyway to get an aero snap type option like in xfce4.10? The openbox hot keys for basic tiling are nice, but it would be cool if there was an option to make it so when you drag a window to a side of the screen it automatically fills that half of the screen.

#63 2013-05-08 17:12:09

Forthy
#! CrunchBanger

kiiroitori wrote:

Also cb-welcome should start like this
"Welcome to the best linux distribution in the whole universe. This distro is a blessing handed down to us by Overlord Corenominal. Cherish His Name and His Updates pouring down from the internet high above. Bow before this terminal emulator and press any key to continue."

Or something along those lines.

I felt this needed quoting, just because...

#64 2013-05-08 18:07:44

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard

add cb-hotcornersrc to the settings menu.  I didn't know about either aerosnap or hotcorners were in #! till i watched a video by puppylinuxworld.

#65 2013-05-08 18:18:14

junkie
#! Junkie

I've been a hater of the pulse audio for a long time but I have to admit that most of that hate is uneducated and I wonder if the absence of pulse would solve or fix more audio problems that people have? The only time it gives me a problem is when switching between different applications and simply killing it will free my sound up.  Also, pavucontrol is pretty useful.

#66 2013-05-08 18:35:10

silince
#! CrunchBanger

Some really great suggestions here, though the ones that resonated with me were:

- KDE as DE (Joke!)
- Flatstudio as a theme (I like it and it looks nice)
- Systemd if it improves performance
- Probably worth being light on the default apps like GIMP - keep the size small
- We're never gonna agree on audio players/browsers - that's not a problem, it's the beauty of having choice!
- Might as well ditch Abiword and Gnumeric and offer a choice of shiz that people can decide themselves
- An enhanced welcome script

Maybe have a think about:

-The default conky and tint2, but I know that *no one* will ever agree on that

Debian Wheezy on VeryPC Low Energy Desktop | Elementary on Lenovo Thinkpad SL510 | #! on Lenovo Ideapad S205 | Raspbmc on Pi | Linux Mint 17 XFCE on Lenovo W530.

#67 2013-05-08 19:30:49

Miggs

The git/community idea I just read in this thread stroked me. And it stroked me so bad that now I wonder why do I even use this distribution if it's not community-driven.
So my proposal is to make it that way. Make a crunchbang repository on github where people can submit pull requests, bugs or ideas. Make it a meritocracy maybe, where those who contribute more have just as much decision power as you (corenominal). Or make it a democracy, where all users can vote on any change. Or both: mostly meritocracy but always consider popular ideas.
Here are my reasons for this:
- you make an opinionated app selection:
   *some are light, some are bloated (so it's not a lightness decision);
   *some are gui, some are text (so it's not a consistency decision);
   *some are featured/complicated, some are simple (so it's neither a "user friendly" or "kiss" decision);
   *some are universal, some are specialized;   
- you make scripts to install opinionated selection of apps/utilities on first launch. Why just those use cases? Why just those alternatives?
- not sure about this one.. but a lot of requests on these forums seem not to be accepted;
So stop with this benevolent dictator bullshit! Let the community decide!

#68 2013-05-08 20:06:03

slartie
#! Member

@miggs - Do you have any examples of community driven distros that work like that, or are just remotely like what you're proposing. I'd like to see it.

#69 2013-05-08 20:06:32

intoCB
Scatweasel

^CrunchBang is what it is but thank you for trying to free us from the shackles of Corenominal's tyranny.

#70 2013-05-08 20:10:16

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Miggs wrote:

- not sure about this one.. but a lot of requests on these forums seem not to be accepted;
So stop with this benevolent dictator bullshit! Let the community decide!

If we do that, we get a new release every day: monday we get Thunar by default, Tuesday we get SpaceFM, Wednesday we get Chromium, Thursday we get Opera and Friday we get Firefox! Oh, and Saturday we switch back to Thunar....

As for community involvement, have you all seen this?

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#71 2013-05-08 20:13:41

slartie
#! Member

Unia wrote:

If we do that, we get a new release every day: monday we get Thunar by default, Tuesday we get SpaceFM, Wednesday we get Chromium, Thursday we get Opera and Friday we get Firefox! Oh, and Saturday we switch back to Thunar....

^^ .. This. Basically a stampeding rolling release. I doubt anyone would want that - ever. Hence my request for information about a distro that actually worked like that. That would be a sight to see.

Edit "Emacs! Vim! Emacs!! Elvis! Nano! Yo' momma!"

Last edited by slartie (2013-05-08 20:14:45)

#72 2013-05-08 20:14:36

james0610
#! Member

Just my 2 cents But can we have a updated version of compton with vsync and Opengl support. i had to switch away because of video tearing

Also i dont mind if i comes with more or less apps. At the end of the day i can always remove/add whatever i want anyway smile

ohh and i newer Kernel than what stock debian comes with. The new SSD caching in 3.9 is a must for me smile

Last edited by james0610 (2013-05-08 20:17:23)

"On The First Day, God Created Linux... And The Rest Was Easy"

#73 2013-05-08 20:16:47

Miggs

slartie wrote:

@miggs - Do you have any examples of community driven distros that work like that, or are just remotely like what you're proposing. I'd like to see it.

Debian?

@Unia: Oh, come on. Changing stuff would only occur in pretesting phases.. like now.

#74 2013-05-08 20:20:08

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Miggs wrote:
slartie wrote:

Debian?

@Unia: Oh, come on. Changing stuff would only occur in pretesting phases.. like now.

It happened before that every point release of #! had a different browser (I believe Chromium vs Iceweasel vs Firefox?). Of course I am exaggerating, but this is basically what your full democracy would come down to: applications are so bound to personal preference that we could never decide on it.

I think it's already awesome Corenominal opened this topic to listen to us. Is there any other distro out there that does this?

Be excellent to each other!

#75 2013-05-08 20:26:08

slartie
#! Member

@Miggs - Debian is a "sort of" democracy that's largely committee driven with appointed project leaders unless they've changed the constitution they've been working on for 17 years or so. So no, Debian doesn't roll like you propose. Read the mailing lists and you'll see flamewars that will make you go blind.

While I don't like the title "Benevolent Dictator", I find it to be a lot like Debian works now. We can consider ourselves the committee, but the project lead has the final word regardless.

This is a great way to give CN some input, so let's give him some.

Board footer