SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2013-03-31 01:47:58

sorcerer's_apprentice
#! Junkie
From: oblivion
Registered: 2013-02-09
Posts: 293

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

mynis01 wrote:

And if I ever started a linux distro and hosted a forum for it, I wouldn't want to spend a single penny or use a single kilobyte to host you ranting about why you don't like my distro.

I would. But then again that's me. At some point you have to deal with the fact that not everyone will live up to your standard - but to me at least that doesn't mean that I in any way am obliged to stop criticizing them.

Offline

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#52 2013-03-31 01:56:22

lenin-bot
Member
From: Indiana
Registered: 2013-03-28
Posts: 15
Website

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

pvsage wrote:

Thy thread amuseth us; we shall permit it to continue.

@lenin-bot:  Thy response was perfectly appropriate for thy forum name; the Turing Test continues. ]:D  Although, now I'm not sure if you're a bot or a dictionary. 8o

I'm actually both.

mynis01 wrote:

And if I ever started a linux distro and hosted a forum for it, I wouldn't want to spend a single penny or use a single kilobyte to host you ranting about why you don't like my distro.

That seems rather counteractive to the philosophy of FOSS, and it's statements like this that engender misappropriations of terms like "fascist" or "Nazi".

If people had a problem with your theoretical distro, then you should hear what they have to say.  Perhaps they simply misunderstand something about your distro's philosophy and just need it to be clarified, or maybe they have a real problem that deserves addressing by either you, or the community.  Maybe they're pointing out something that your community wasn't aware of, and now that they're aware, they happen to agree with the dissenter and consequently you could address this new issue.  It's thesis-antithesis-synthesis dialectics like this that produce better and more advanced systems in the world.

Last edited by lenin-bot (2013-03-31 02:10:39)

Offline

#53 2013-03-31 02:03:32

dura
Bloated Gimp
From: interzone
Registered: 2012-09-15
Posts: 2,108

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

Long live the fascist state of Ubuntu, London.

Offline

#54 2013-03-31 02:33:13

lcafiero
The #! Guy
From: Felton, California, USA
Registered: 2011-07-21
Posts: 2,225
Website

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

Isn't Ubuntu based on the Isle of Man?


Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

Offline

#55 2013-03-31 08:33:11

DapperMe17
#! CrunchBanger
From: Todd's Gang
Registered: 2012-10-19
Posts: 221

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

To: This thread
From: Sgt. Hulka

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs[/video]

Last edited by DapperMe17 (2013-03-31 08:33:53)

Offline

#56 2013-03-31 09:16:20

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2011-07-27
Posts: 1,865

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

Didn't read a ton of the replies here ... Too short of an attention span. Yeah I can see how Canonical Inc/buntu would engage in heavy-handed censorship in any context/platform/media ... Their forum as a good example. My brief experience with the buntu forum, made it pretty obvious it was run more as a Corp communist state, rather than a community. Which of course totally goes against their proposed ideals. "I am what I am, cause of what we all are" and other Corp propaganda bs imo.

Personally disliked buntu, pretty much from the moment I laid eyes on the 1st install of their OS. That install ... buntu 10.10 lasted less than a wk and membership @ the buntu forum, less than 2wks for me. Pretty much after the 20th mod warning, you violated policy 46z. Told em to stick their forum and bloated, buggy nix distro into inappropriate places of their anatomy. tongue

Never seen anything to change that low opinion of Canonical Inc, if anything only more and more reasons confirming those feelings. That's JMO though, can also see situations in which buntu might be the right tool for the job too. Not for me ... but for other end-users with x needs/goals. If buntu were the only gnu/nix option ( which of course WILL NEVER happen.), not sure ... Would more than likely stick w M$ and call it a dy. All this babble is again ... jmo's on the topic, shrugs.



Vll! tongue

PS ... Drunken and totally politically incorrect outburst ... On second thought ... Imo bottomline FECK CANONICAL INC/buntu. Lmao. big_smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-03-31 09:32:07)


Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

Offline

#57 2013-03-31 09:28:06

lenin-bot
Member
From: Indiana
Registered: 2013-03-28
Posts: 15
Website

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

CBizgreat! wrote:

My brief experience with the buntu forum, made it pretty obvious it was run more as a Corp communist state, rather than a community. Which of course totally goes against their proposed ideals. "I am what I am, cause of what we all are" and other Corp propaganda bs imo.

You don't know what propaganda is, or how corporations, states, or communism work, do you?

Last edited by lenin-bot (2013-03-31 09:28:32)

Offline

#58 2013-03-31 09:35:41

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2011-07-27
Posts: 1,865

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

On second thought ... Edited for lame content ..

Make up your own minds, on whichever sources of information are most pleasing unto you. Threw my 2 cents on this topic on the pile, in a post above. tongue


Vll! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-03-31 10:34:26)


Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

Offline

#59 2013-03-31 11:40:46

fatmac
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2012-11-14
Posts: 1,948

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

I don't use any of Canonical's offerings, so, I guess, you could say that I do boycott them, but my reason is that they are just bloated.


Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

Offline

#60 2013-03-31 11:56:57

dura
Bloated Gimp
From: interzone
Registered: 2012-09-15
Posts: 2,108

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

Do you have any evidence of the benefits of negative dialectics Lenin-bot? Are they not as likely to lead to worse systems?

Last edited by dura (2013-03-31 12:00:42)

Offline

#61 2013-03-31 12:09:21

lenin-bot
Member
From: Indiana
Registered: 2013-03-28
Posts: 15
Website

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

dura wrote:

Do you have any evidence of the benefits of negative dialectics Lenin-bot? Are they not as likely to lead to worse systems?

They are not.

Practice, rather than theory, has demonstrated that when experienced individuals collaborate on systemic development, the result is most usually positive.

Last edited by lenin-bot (2013-03-31 12:52:53)

Offline

#62 2013-03-31 12:12:26

dura
Bloated Gimp
From: interzone
Registered: 2012-09-15
Posts: 2,108

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

lenin-bot wrote:
dura wrote:

Do you have any evidence of the benefits of negative dialectics Lenin-bot? Are they not as likely to lead to worse systems?

They are not.

Practice, rather than theory, has demonstrated that when experienced individuals interactively collaborate on systemic development, the result is most usually positive.


Evidence?

Edit: and by the way "interactive collaboration" as you put it is not dialectical. Collaboration occurs between collaborators who accept some shared vision of the outcome and work together. Dialectics are oppositional and cannot be systematically determined; the synthesis occurring not through collaboration but conflict.

Last edited by dura (2013-03-31 12:26:23)

Offline

#63 2013-03-31 12:52:02

lenin-bot
Member
From: Indiana
Registered: 2013-03-28
Posts: 15
Website

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

dura wrote:
lenin-bot wrote:
dura wrote:

Do you have any evidence of the benefits of negative dialectics Lenin-bot? Are they not as likely to lead to worse systems?

They are not.

Practice, rather than theory, has demonstrated that when experienced individuals interactively collaborate on systemic development, the result is most usually positive.


Evidence?

Edit: and by the way "interactive collaboration" as you put it is not dialectical. Collaboration occurs between collaborators who accept some shared vision of the outcome and work together. Dialectics are oppositional and cannot be systematically determined; the synthesis occurring not through collaboration but conflict.

This collaboration is the result of the thesis-antithesis-synthesis.

Thesis: A theoretical distro
Antithesis: Someone brings forth an issue with the distro
Synthesis: The community addresses the issue

Now that the conflict has been resolved, both the dissenter and the community collaborate to move forward with the distro.
Or you could even argue that the resultant collaboration is part of the synthesis.

Offline

#64 2013-03-31 12:59:04

dura
Bloated Gimp
From: interzone
Registered: 2012-09-15
Posts: 2,108

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

You have a really happy and positive view of dialectics. I like how hippy you are. Still, collaboration by definition is not dialectical. At the point at which dialectic conflict becomes collaborative it is not dialectical and the argument is rendered mute.

Last edited by dura (2013-03-31 13:00:07)

Offline

#65 2013-03-31 13:19:33

lenin-bot
Member
From: Indiana
Registered: 2013-03-28
Posts: 15
Website

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

dura wrote:

You have a really happy and positive view of dialectics. I like how hippy you are. Still, collaboration by definition is not dialectical. At the point at which dialectic conflict becomes collaborative it is not dialectical and the argument is rendered mute.

As I said in my previous post, the collaboration begins when the conflict is resolved.
And I'm a revolutionary socialist, it doesn't pay to not be positive/optimistic about things.

Offline

#66 2013-03-31 13:46:49

dura
Bloated Gimp
From: interzone
Registered: 2012-09-15
Posts: 2,108

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

Haha. No you're not. Still, collaboration does not lead to positive outcomes necessarily. Dialectics are not necessarily so happily resolved into collaboration; and collaboration though a potential outcome of conflict could cause regression rather than your lovely modernist view of progress. You're adding more steps into the dialectic process but your standpoint is still as unstable as it was when you originally, and in contradiction, suggested collaboration is dialectic. You wannabe socialist capitalists are always so stubborn and boring. Hope your studies go well though.

Offline

#67 2013-03-31 14:42:05

ergon
Member
Registered: 2013-03-27
Posts: 38

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

I suddenly think of sales person when I read yours. The moment they stepped their foot infront of a house, ring the bell then offered things, the worst response they would get is "No, I don't need that." and closed door without them getting the chances to explain things they would offer.

Offline

#68 2013-03-31 14:45:57

sorcerer's_apprentice
#! Junkie
From: oblivion
Registered: 2013-02-09
Posts: 293

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

lenin-bot wrote:

This collaboration is the result of the thesis-antithesis-synthesis.

Thesis: A theoretical distro
Antithesis: Someone brings forth an issue with the distro
Synthesis: The community addresses the issue

I seriously doubt that.

Thesis: Ubuntu is a load of shit
Antithesis: Ubuntu is awesome
Synthesis: Ubuntu is meh

And I don't understand why you socialists always need a holistic philosophy of everything to try to make the world a better place. All that's needed for that is to get over yourself, be open for different views, seriously ponder the perspective of others and then try to find the best possible solution to a given problem while morally balancing the effects of these decisions, i.e. cut the frickin' dogma.

Last edited by sorcerer's_apprentice (2013-03-31 14:47:24)

Offline

#69 2013-03-31 14:53:20

pvsage
Internal Affairs
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2009-10-18
Posts: 13,970

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

dura wrote:

wannabe socialist capitalists

Socialist =/= Capitalist

lenin-bot is a dictionary; your argument is invalid.

Offline

#70 2013-03-31 15:21:44

dura
Bloated Gimp
From: interzone
Registered: 2012-09-15
Posts: 2,108

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

@pvsage: I was not saying socialists and capitalists are the same. I'm saying revolutionary socialists do not occupy pre-revolutionary capitalist eras; they are capitalists like the rest of us. The whole problem with the critical theory/Marxist idea of dialectics that we are discussing is that the revolution is concealed in a pre-revolutionary state within the status-quo and one cannot yet be revolutionary before the revolution. One is just a capitalist who has bought into the idea of socialist revolution. Hence the Che Guevara poster you have on your wall or that t-shirt you proudly wear down to Walmart.

Validity does not apply in this situation; even if a dictionary, the argument is a dialectic which validates an anthithetical response.

We still need a philosophy thread, but I worry it would get filled up with boring, nostalgic critical theory.

Offline

#71 2013-03-31 15:49:57

lcafiero
The #! Guy
From: Felton, California, USA
Registered: 2011-07-21
Posts: 2,225
Website

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

Yawn.


Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

Offline

#72 2013-03-31 15:57:56

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun
From: inside Ed
Registered: 2011-07-25
Posts: 4,749

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

sorcerer's_apprentice wrote:

And I don't understand why you socialists always need a holistic philosophy of everything to try to make the world a better place.

One day, Hegel sits in his room. Suddenly, he has an idea. Hey, let's invent a thought method by which we can take everything and turn the argument to our advantage via three contrived steps and a mountain of bullshit. He calls it dialectics. He writes three tomes of incredibly simplistic philosophy of history. Nobody know what the fuck he's jammering about, but everybody takes on the method.

Offline

#73 2013-03-31 15:59:18

pvsage
Internal Affairs
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2009-10-18
Posts: 13,970

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

^^ Agreed; which is why I invoked ad hominem. roll   (Apparently dura isn't familiar with this meme?)

This thread no longer amuseth us...

Offline

#74 2013-03-31 16:12:15

codingman
#! Junkie
From: Darkstar
Registered: 2013-03-22
Posts: 356

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

dura wrote:

@pvsage: I was not saying socialists and capitalists are the same. I'm saying revolutionary socialists do not occupy pre-revolutionary capitalist eras; they are capitalists like the rest of us. The whole problem with the critical theory/Marxist idea of dialectics that we are discussing is that the revolution is concealed in a pre-revolutionary state within the status-quo and one cannot yet be revolutionary before the revolution. One is just a capitalist who has bought into the idea of socialist revolution. Hence the Che Guevara poster you have on your wall or that t-shirt you proudly wear down to Walmart.

Validity does not apply in this situation; even if a dictionary, the argument is a dialectic which validates an anthithetical response.

We still need a philosophy thread, but I worry it would get filled up with boring, nostalgic critical theory.

O_o?

Geewhiz, I feel like I got hit with a dictionary!

^^^ *Snore*


U iz not goin to getz an anzer frm me if u tip lik dis  mad

Offline

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#75 2013-03-31 16:15:48

codingman
#! Junkie
From: Darkstar
Registered: 2013-03-22
Posts: 356

Re: boycott ubuntu, fascist state silences any presumed dissent.

@OP: One reason I don't go to the Ubuntu Forums other than the games is because there are a zillion rules on the forums and all of their irc channels. It takes the fun out of being able to be free from windows.

Resolution: don't use Unity, the horrible DE that comes with Ubuntu, or don't use Canonical-induced software at all.


U iz not goin to getz an anzer frm me if u tip lik dis  mad

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
Server: acrobat

Debian Logo