SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-08 19:56:58

dura
Bloated Gimp

~/wallpapers/shared Permissions Error

Hi, I'm the only user on this machine, so I wanted to change the permissions of ~/wallpapers/shared so I didn't have to go root to add wallpapers.

So I chmod 666 ~/wallpapers/shared

Now I'm getting permissions issues, and it seems I may should have chown'd it.

What I want to do is return ~/wallpapers/shared to default permissions. But I'm not sure what they would be. I'm not so bothered about having to be root, I just want nitrogen to stop getting permission issues.

I realise that ~/wallpapers/shared is a symlink to usr/images or whatever, so not sure what that has to do with it.

Really easy stuff, I just can't get my head round it. Can someone give me the correct method?

Thanks.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-12-08 20:31:04

junkie
#! Junkie

Re: ~/wallpapers/shared Permissions Error

Can't you just add wallpapers to the wallpapers directory (parent of shared)? Nitrogen should pick it up I remember.
To create a new symlink

ln -s /usr/shared/path/to/backgrounds /home/user/images/wallpapers/system_wallpapers

Also, good to use full paths...

teh chown method (but I don't think you need to do any of this for your purpose)

chown user:group /path/to/something

Last edited by junkie (2012-12-08 20:37:53)

#3 2012-12-09 01:12:43

dura
Bloated Gimp

Cheers bud.

#4 2012-12-09 02:18:11

junkie
#! Junkie

We're lucky for such choices. Touched Win7 today for the first time. My girlfriend couldn't figure out how to change her wallpaper; then I couldn't figure it out. Well apparently win 7 starter edition doesn't have that "feature". Yeah, more like a dirty registry hack, blocking any wallpaper that doesn't match the default wim7 logos hash... wtf

#5 2012-12-09 02:29:30

lwfitz
#! Die Hard
Website

junkie wrote:

We're lucky for such choices. Touched Win7 today for the first time. My girlfriend couldn't figure out how to change her wallpaper; then I couldn't figure it out. Well apparently win 7 starter edition doesn't have that "feature". Yeah, more like a dirty registry hack, blocking any wallpaper that doesn't match the default wim7 logos hash... wtf

Windows 7 starter     hmm

Board footer