SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-08 11:28:35

dura
Bloated Gimp

x121e Fan Error & Temperatures Rising

Urgh. Turn on my x121e this morning and at boot up I get 'Fan Error', and it just turns off. I did knock it a little last night, but it was in a padded bag and I think shouldn't have done much. But I kept turning it on and getting the same error. I searched around a little on Lenovo forums, and it seems others have had the same problem. A few suggestions were forwarded- taking out the battery, and giving the little bugger a punch on the back next to the fan. I opted for both. It's now on and running, but without a battery in.

Kinda sucks really. I don't like having this little thing plugged in all the time- that's kind of why I like small machine; more mobile, etc.

Thought it, might, be useful to post to give others a heads up to the workaround, and hear if anyone else has any better, proper, fix for this. It was suggested on the Lenovo forum that it might be battery 'over-charging', whatever that would be, so I'm going to plug the battery back in a bit and hope that it works and runs down a little.

Just put the battery back in and its running again...

Last edited by dura (2012-12-10 11:16:23)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-12-10 10:41:23

tmillic
#! CrunchBanger

Re: x121e Fan Error & Temperatures Rising

Maybe the fan was stuck from the first knock? Does taking the battery out do anything other than lowering the mass to get more movement out of the hit you intentionally give it? If the battery is suspect, check it with a multimeter.

#3 2012-12-10 11:16:00

dura
Bloated Gimp

Thanks. I was about to write another thread. Since coming into work today I've noticed my netbook getting a lot hotter than it used to. The fan is running louder. It wasn't much of a knock at all that it received the other day; very slight, so I was surprised of any difference.

Usually though my netbook runs around 45-55c. Today, doing the same light tasks of using iceweasel and google drive I'm getting up to 80c. Which worries me. I know that anything above 80c is getting too hot really, that hdd's don't like it. Even if that temperature is acceptable, I still want it to stay around the comfortable 50c mark. I don't know if this is anything to do with updates I've been receiving, or kernel changes I've made- I'm using siduction 3.6.8 and 3.6.9- but a few days ago was having very good results with these, with battery consumption down. It doesn't seem that watts consumption is going up, but temperature certainly is. The machine doesn't seem all that hotter, but readings are saying it is.

I really don't like hot temperatures. It worries me. I'm already thinking of reinstalling to see if that makes any difference.

Any ideas with this are very welcome. As soon as I get home tonight I will get the old hoover out and give the fan vents a good going over.

...The most recent change I have made is in fstab- I changed it to noatime. This I expect should make it run cooler, rather than hotter.

Thanks.

Edit: Oh god, it's now at 88c. This is too hot for me.

Last edited by dura (2012-12-10 11:22:03)

#4 2012-12-10 11:37:56

dura
Bloated Gimp

I just rebooted and removed my battery and temperatures seem to be staying low again- around 48c.

Edit: And now I put the battery back in. Temperature reading still seems to be reasonable, around 48c. But the fan still seems to be running louder than usual though.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening with this?

Last edited by dura (2012-12-10 11:53:39)

#5 2012-12-11 08:14:04

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

80 Celsius is not normal idle temp for any processor, even if it's idling at it's highest clock speed/state. Seeing as it comes and goes, I suspect a process rather than kernel setting or scaling governor.

Do you see an increase in reported cpu load when the temps rise? If so, next time it arises, fire up htop and check the processes.

Edit:
You say the fan spins faster (louder) the moment you put the battery back in? Weird.
Not sure if this still applies on modern Debian, but do you have laptop-mode-tools installed?

Last edited by gutterslob (2012-12-11 08:14:53)

Point & Squirt

#6 2012-12-11 11:06:53

dura
Bloated Gimp

Thanks gutterslob. It doesn't seem like any increases in cpu load; my first idea would be firefox-container, but it doesn't really seem to effect it.

I don't have laptop-mode-tools installed because I think it conflicts with other power saving scripts I have.

It does seem to be behaving now. Perhaps it might even be a sensor problem or something...

Board footer