SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-24 22:30:45

hhh
Cityspeak

Aliased web fonts? [RESOLVED, but wouldn't mind more input]

Some web pages are appearing aliased or partially aliased for me using Iceweasel. A good example...
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

For me, it's rendering like this...
http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/files6/154 … XN7KQj.png

See how aliased H1 and H2 (the headline and author line) are, while, for example, the copyright symbol is nicely anti-aliased? I have anti-aliasing enabled in ~/.fonts.conf and in ~/.gtkrc-2.0 (via lxappearance) and msttcorefonts are installed. Do you see the same aliasing, or are my fonts mis-configured somehow? Thanks.

Last edited by hhh (2012-11-25 16:49:41)

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-11-24 22:46:39

smoki
#! Junkie

Re: Aliased web fonts? [RESOLVED, but wouldn't mind more input]

For me it looks like this:
2012-11-24-2342311437x98.jpg

But i use sharpfonts technique - i like it that way O:) , of course there are many ways to setup fonts:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18249

#3 2012-11-25 00:27:35

pvsage
Internal Affairs

On Statler, the whole page looks antialiased to me.  Of course, as an old Mac SE user, I have a soft spot for sharp bitmapped fonts, so the scrot posted by smoki above gives me a warm sense of nostalgia...

...more to the point, hhh, I notice the text in your address bar and tabs is also aliased, so it seems there more to it in Waldorf...

#4 2012-11-25 05:24:34

hhh
Cityspeak

pvsage wrote:

...more to the point, hhh, I notice the text in your address bar and tabs is also aliased, so it seems there more to it in Waldorf...

That makes sense, since my system font is Modd, a bitmap font. ;^) I'm not on Waldorf though, I'm on a Debian netinstall upgraded to wheezy. Guessing I should delete my fonts.conf and go through Ivan's tutorial in the morning. I only noticed it because the netbook is my only computer right now, I had no issues on a similar setup at home on the desktop. And it's erratic, like I said. This forum, for example, renders perfectly. Thanks for the feedback, dudes!

Last edited by hhh (2012-11-25 05:30:17)

#5 2012-11-25 09:20:00

pvsage
Internal Affairs

hhh wrote:

I'm not on Waldorf though, I'm on a Debian netinstall upgraded to wheezy.

Po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe. tongue

Good luck!

#6 2012-11-25 13:29:04

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Notnhing here, in Chrome or IW. It's Sid, but I haven't had similar problems in the last two weeks, so it doesn't seem like a Debian issue. It's Iceweasel 10, though.

Last edited by el_koraco (2012-11-25 13:29:28)

#7 2012-11-25 16:47:47

hhh
Cityspeak

Solved. Jebus that was maddening. This is what I think is happening...

If I enable bitmap fonts, either through dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config or by symlinking 70-yes-bitmaps.conf and have the default preferences for Iceweasel, Firefox or Midori, and if Helvetica is specified in the web page's stylesheet, like "Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif", it renders horribly. In chromium, or if I disable bitmap fonts, or if I change Iceweasel's prefs to use a specific font like "sans", no problem.

The solution, from Debian Wiki Fonts/FAQ, was to include the following in my ~/.fonts.conf (before the final </fontconfig> tag)...

<!-- Helvetica is a non true type font, and will look bad. This
replaces it with whatever is the default sans-serif font -->

<match target="pattern" name="family" >
<test name="family" qual="any" >
<string>Helvetica</string>
</test>
<edit mode="assign" name="family" >
<string>sans-serif</string>
</edit>
</match>
<dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>

Screenshot...
http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/files6/154 … zT3CpP.png

@Master P, I just meant that I don't have Philip's font configs on my rig. Thanks for the good wishes, they helped!

@el_ko, thanks for checking, my man.

Marking this [RESOLVED], though I'd love to hear opinions on why I was seeing this and others with bitmapped fonts enabled weren't, and why chromium rendered the page fine. Is the font getting cascaded to Arial or sans, and then the bitmap rendering messes them up? Here's another web page where the entire page rendered horribly until editing ~/.fonts.conf...
http://freecode.com/projects/xfstt

I'll also drop a line in the Font Task Force thread in case someone else experiences this. Thanks all!

-edit- This also solved another rendering issue I was having, where the text on some of the thumbnails in Iceweasel's New Tab Page was all jumbled.

Last edited by hhh (2012-11-25 17:09:22)

#8 2012-11-25 17:35:47

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

No problems at all here with normal Firefox on the places you linked. I would blame Iceweasel but then someone would come and slap me.  ]:D

#9 2012-11-25 19:56:53

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

No problems with Iceweasel, as el_k indicated also. 

Looks as if it had nothing to do with browsers at all and was from a conf setting.

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#10 2015-02-05 06:54:04

pjbrunet
#! CrunchBanger
Website

hhh wrote:

Solved. Jebus that was maddening. This is what I think is happening...

If I enable bitmap fonts, either through dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config or by symlinking 70-yes-bitmaps.conf and have the default preferences for Iceweasel, Firefox or Midori, and if Helvetica is specified in the web page's stylesheet, like "Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif", it renders horribly. In chromium, or if I disable bitmap fonts, or if I change Iceweasel's prefs to use a specific font like "sans", no problem.

The solution, from Debian Wiki Fonts/FAQ, was to include the following in my ~/.fonts.conf (before the final </fontconfig> tag)...

<!-- Helvetica is a non true type font, and will look bad. This
replaces it with whatever is the default sans-serif font -->

<test name="family" qual="any" >
<string>Helvetica</string>
</test>
<edit mode="assign" name="family" >
<string>sans-serif</string>
</edit>
</match>
<dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>

Screenshot...
http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/files6/154 … zT3CpP.png

@Master P, I just meant that I don't have Philip's font configs on my rig. Thanks for the good wishes, they helped!

@el_ko, thanks for checking, my man.

Marking this [RESOLVED], though I'd love to hear opinions on why I was seeing this and others with bitmapped fonts enabled weren't, and why chromium rendered the page fine. Is the font getting cascaded to Arial or sans, and then the bitmap rendering messes them up? Here's another web page where the entire page rendered horribly until editing ~/.fonts.conf...
http://freecode.com/projects/xfstt

I'll also drop a line in the Font Task Force thread in case someone else experiences this. Thanks all!

-edit- This also solved another rendering issue I was having, where the text on some of the thumbnails in Iceweasel's New Tab Page was all jumbled.

I realize this is old but I can confirm this code fixed my Helvetica font problem in Iceweasel.  Before the fix, Facebook and LinkedIn looked like they reverted back to 1988 fonts.

Last edited by pjbrunet (2015-02-05 06:55:28)

#11 2015-02-05 13:01:19

hhh
Cityspeak

Glad it helped, and I'm actually glad it got resurrected, because I sure like Master P as a nick for pvsage better than Ponymod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrCky46FIRw

#12 2015-02-06 09:08:43

pjbrunet
#! CrunchBanger
Website

hhh wrote:

Glad it helped, and I'm actually glad it got resurrected, because I sure like Master P as a nick for pvsage better than Ponymod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrCky46FIRw

While this solution works, I saw some "warning" messages. So either there's a legit syntax problem or I'm accidentally on the edge of some new frontier.  I tend to ignore warnings but maybe somebody will want to get to the bottom of this.

#13 2015-02-17 03:03:59

andoru
#! Junkie

You're not alone, I'm also getting syntax errors:

Fontconfig error: "/home/andoru/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 38: junk after document element

I support Universal Basic Income, and so should you, here's why. Another reason why.
Commonly asked questions about UBI
Spread the word!

#14 2015-02-17 14:14:33

febrile

I think the error's in the first line of the insertion:

should be

<match target="pattern">

#15 2015-02-17 20:59:08

andoru
#! Junkie

Doesn't change anything unfortunately sad

I support Universal Basic Income, and so should you, here's why. Another reason why.
Commonly asked questions about UBI
Spread the word!

Board footer