SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-25 23:33:11

extraspecialbitter
#! Junkie
Website

Can't seem to open CD/DVD drive

I'm running Waldorf 64-bit with a Liquorix kernel, and I can't seem to open my CD/DVD drive - either when pressing the button on the door, or when running the "eject" command.  Initially I saw this when trying the latter:

pablo@cochituate=> eject
eject: tried to use `/media/cdrom0' as device name but it is no block device
eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'

I noticed that I was missing a cdrom entry from /etc/fstab, so I added the following:

/dev/sr0        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

After mounting the drive, the error message changed, but the result was the same - the drive door attempting to open, but never quite doing it:

pablo@cochituate=> eject
eject: unable to eject, last error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Is this something anyone else has seen, or is it perhaps time to replace my CD/DVD drive?

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-10-26 00:52:27

DogMatix

Re: Can't seem to open CD/DVD drive

extraspecialbitter wrote:

Is this something anyone else has seen, or is it perhaps time to replace my CD/DVD drive?

I was going to suggest a hardware issue. Do you have a spare/old optical drive you could swap to test?

It's not an issue I have experienced personally though. Not sure what...

...Inappropriate ioctl for device

... means!

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William Burroughs

#3 2012-10-26 01:25:43

extraspecialbitter
#! Junkie
Website

Like a Windows users, I entered "eject" several more times, after which it started working fairly consistently.  I'm now thinking it's time to replace my CD drive... or, since I paid only $300 for my desktop, time to buy a new desktop.  big_smile

#4 2012-10-26 01:45:52

lwfitz
#! Die Hard
Website

extraspecialbitter wrote:

Like a Windows users, I entered "eject" several more times, after which it started working fairly consistently.  I'm now thinking it's time to replace my CD drive... or, since I paid only $300 for my desktop, time to buy a new desktop.  big_smile

I had the same issue on  a custom built machine with an Asus dvd rw. The dvd drive is less than 6 months old and what worked for me is to reboot and as soon as the machine powers on push the button to open the drive.
First thing Id try is to get some compressed air and blow the drive out. It doesnt take much dist in them to jam things up.

Last edited by lwfitz (2012-10-26 01:46:40)

Board footer