SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-26 17:39:44

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Another browser comparison thread ... Yay !

Some things never seem to get old, like dorking around with and comparing this browser to that one and everything in between. Another thread got me wondering what the big three web browsers use in terms of sys resources. I said to myself ... "Self, wouldn't it be nice to flush a perfectly good hour down the toilet screwing around with web browsers ?" Self ... agreed it was in fact a dang good idea and so I did. Posting the findings makes me feel like less of a tard ( not much less, but some.) Neglecting other stuff to mess w web-browsers. As perhaps folks here in Crunchland might enjoy it or find it interesting.

Testing conditions: Opening the same 10 webpages(tabs), in the big 3 browsers and checking what RAM stats they pulled. Main consideration was RAM usage, cpu stats were close enough not to really matter from what I saw. Much effort was made to clear caches and etc. In the hopes the results would be more accurate thataway. PC specs, my crusty old single core P4 w a mighty 512mbs ddr2 ... *RAWLLLL ! Don't be jealous fella's. tongue Spec envy is not a good thing. Btw ... I hate all you people with dual/quad core 432gbs/ram systems. Getting back to bizness though. lol

#1. Fireweasel v. 12
a. With no extensions running = 187mbs
b. With the plugin noscript running, 142mbs (after bleachbit tried again.)= 138mbs.

note: FF does have somewhat of an about:config tweak advantage here too.

#2. Chrome v. 19.0.1084.52
a. With no extensions enabled = 206mbs.
b. With "Scriptno" added ( which is a plugin like noscript for Chrome)= 188mbs, oddly imo ... after bleachbit and a friggin reboot= 232mbs.
c. With yet another Chrome extension called "adblockPlus(beta)" running = 312mbs.

#3. Opera v. 11.64
a. Out of box, no extensions running = 243mbs.
b. Then with "Notscripts" ... ( an extension for Opera, again similar to noscript) = 142mbs. Again oddly after bleachbit was run changed to = 174mbs.

Quick overview:

Fireweasel    ....    138-187mbs
Chrome        ....    188-206mbs ( 312mbs w a crappy extension running.)
Opera           ....    142-243mbs.

THE WINNER ... AND STILL CHAMPION !?!? Fireweasel and Noscript ! Never doubted their kickbuttness for a moment ! Next up, the winner of the you are such a dork for doing this award !??!?! ME ... yay ! Go me ! Good gawd ...

CONCLUSION: All 3 are nice browsers imo. All of them are fast, full featured, none turned out to be a bloated RAM sucking pigdog ... blahblahblah. Was hoping to find one, so that I could talk bad about it's momma ... no such luck. There you have it folks. Hopefully somebody got a tad of amusement out this completely tarded messing around with web-browsers.

(CB.) Exit stage right. >>> smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-05-26 19:39:36)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-05-26 20:41:20

Eren
#! Die Hard

Re: Another browser comparison thread ... Yay !

Interestingly low ram usage of this 3 browsers. I never saw less than 500mb each of these. lol I don't know when but I completely remove Iceweasel and using Luakit, Uzbl, conkeror or dwb. I still can't decide one of them but I will one day. big_smile

#3 2012-05-26 22:31:03

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

And now ... for my next trick, I shall good naturedly torment Erin a bit with more of my web browserage stats !!! wink

All 3 running, same time, 5 random webpgs each. Except for FF, has 6 including the one am typing on here. Output of free -m ... drum rollz please !???! = 368mbs. Only thing can think of is DEitis(dependencies). Had much mozilla unhappiness when using LM10 ( gnome 2.4), even uber tweaked, RAM stats made me wanna swallow my own tongue. So began the qwest to find the lightest, same time fullest featured nix distro in the known world !!!

PS, Well ... and noscript + about:config. If ya feel like it follow the link above and give it a try out. Can always uninstall quickly, if you don't like results.

(CB) smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-05-26 23:21:38)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#4 2012-05-27 10:36:00

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

BROWSER BABBLE UPDATE:

Some added thoughts, still like all 3, this lil experiment has encouraged me to mess around with them more often than I have been. Mostly FF used @ all times for me ... Chrome and Opera have been left standing in dark corners. Kept mainly for the purposes of cross-browser stuff and to help make me feel like an uber l33t nix ninja by having all the latest mainstream browsers on the OS. Every now and then, I'll give em a fishhead and a bowl of rice, so they don't starve.  Now have been trying to use the others more, in doing so have noticed a bit.

EDIT: ... Haven't really used the other two enough to form a solid opinion. So chopped some stuff out of this post ... for posterity. Other than, did put mucho effort into trying to make any dorkish browser babble tests included here accurate.

Would be curious to hear what other nixers have experienced. Have you noticed the same for you, in your dealings with Chrome/FF/Opera ? Or have ya'll seen differently ? Any good tweakage tips for any of them, you'd like to share ladies/gents ? And/or something really neat about whichever one you prefer most, that makes it a more enjoyable browser to use ? Am I doing something wrong ? ... If so, would appreciate the info sharing.

PS, Well other than starting yet ANOTHER web browser thread anyway ... lol And I do apologize fellow nixers, is a subject of interest though. tongue

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-05-29 08:23:24)

#5 2012-05-27 10:55:48

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

cbiz, if I ever have a typing job for you (copying the Bible for example) I'll come to you. big_smile

Good comparison, no big surprise that Chromium sucks the Weasel's genital at any time of the day.

Now be a good (even better) guy and compare xxxterm, dwb, luakit, conkeror and uzbl.

And finally reach God status by comparing netrik, w3m, elinks and lynx big_smile

Sweaty lads picking up the soap | I love the new "Ignore user" button

#6 2012-05-27 10:58:52

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

lol LMAO lol

Thought about doing some of those too Machine. Right after .... I'd just uninstalled all of em. lol At that point figured why !??!!? Why would you double back ... install and do a review on 14 nix browsers you're not interested in using man. Then I pimp slapped meself for even thinking about it and all the time that would've been involved and did this test instead. lol

cbizcuit. smile

PS babble,

Think would be a dang fine idea for a topic though. I'd be interested in seeing a knockdown drag out between the more obscure browsers. No doubt plenty of others would too. If somebody has em all handy and some hrs to kill.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-05-27 11:05:03)

#7 2012-05-27 11:18:37

ArttuH5N1
#! CrunchBanger

Chrome > Iceweacel. Both have their advantages, but I prefer Chrome. And I'm on the winning side, since Chrome is the default browser in the next #! release. (?)

#8 2012-05-27 11:22:55

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

big_smile No worries ... not that matters over much. Chromium ... from what I understand, there's a wee bit of difference to be had with Chromium vs Chrome actual. Could be wrong on that too though. Haven't been following along as closely with the happenings for those ...

CB. smile

PS, babble again !!!

Arghhhh ... not that am saying either are bad etc. See nothing wrong with a person using/liking any or every browser in the world. Well except for IE, but if ya like and often use IE, that's more than enough punishment for ya already. wink

I don't really understand all the behind the scenes happenings of Chromium vs Chrome ... much less how it works w Debian or whatever. In other words reiterating am ignorant overall on this topic. Did a bit of research just now, failed darn it ! It's giving me a headache even bothering to try to find more about this particular thing. tongue

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-05-27 11:44:37)

#9 2012-05-27 11:33:01

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

ArttuH5N1 wrote:

And I'm on the winning side, since Chrome is the default browser in the next #! release. (?)

I'm shocked big_smile Chromium is still the default on the development release, but from what I see the Chromiums days are numbered: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … iceweasel/

At least in the community wink big_smile

Last edited by machinebacon (2012-05-27 11:34:08)

#10 2012-05-27 11:46:15

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Alright back 2 da mines w me.

Cya's later Machine and ArttuH5N1, hope everyone has a good one.

cb> smile

#11 2012-05-27 11:50:49

Eren
#! Die Hard

I have 4096mbs ram. big_smile

Uzbl
It's using webkit and the main reason for it's fast loading and rendering times. It's not hard to configure, mostly I like the keyboard shortcuts for opening a page or searching something. I had some problems on some pages like Facebook, This is my jam. I don't know why but Uzbl didn't open this. May be it's webkit related may be not. I'm blocking ads from my hosts file. About the ram usage, on 1 tab, it's only 75mb. On 2 tabs it's 218mb. After 6 tabs, it has 336mb. I'm not using any script btw. Uzbl out of the box. One of the most stable of these.

luakit
The most thing I love in this browser is tabs. Very easy to use and easy to configure. It's fast as Uzbl but not stable like it. Sometimes I get %100 cpu usage on some sites using some scripts. I didn't see this on Uzbl. About ram usage, only 1 tab it has 79mbs ram. On 2 tabs 111mbs ram and after 6 tabs I saw 317mbs ram usage. It's more easy to use if we compare it with uzbl.

conkeror
The only browser using xulrunner on this comparasion. It's really hard to use on first time. Learning all keyboard shorcuts, there is no right click menu in mouse etc. When you learn it, it rocks. It's mainly javascript and I think it's a little bit hard to configure. And about ram usage, 1 tab about 63mbs. 2 tabs about 71mbs and after 6 tabs 281mbs ram. It's fast as uzbl and luakit. You know, xulrunner not bad.

dwb
Another webkit browser. The easiest one ever. You don't need to configure to edit a file. You can do it from browser. Tabs and usage similar to luakit. And about ram usage 1 tab about 107mbs. The highest one of these. 2 tabs about 131mbs. And last, 6 tabs about 174mbs. It started high usage on one tab but after opening more tabs, the usage of ram getting lower. It has %100 cpu usage on some sites too like luakit.

That's what I get. In my opinion, all of these are great. If you want xulrunner, you have one choice, it's conkeror. On webkit, you got 3 choices. If you are looking something to not configure, or configure it from browser, it's dwb but I didn't like gtk3 integration. Uzbl, it's the most stable one (not tabbed version ofcourse) and I used it a long time. And last, luakit, I think it's simple, fast but some problems on scripts working under sites. It has %100 cpu usage I saw it sometimes. I didn't see on Uzbl or conkeror.

If you like this, give me cookies. tongue

Last edited by Eren (2012-05-27 11:53:40)

#12 2012-05-27 12:01:35

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Gives Eren wide selection of cookies ! Awesome man ... seen ya lurking a bit was 1/2 hoping you were off doing browser testing. Thanks much for the info, is interesting to see those results and hear from somebody who's used a bunch of them. Anyway ... glad doubled back to proof read and try to squash any typos. smile

Thanks Erin and again ... hope ya'll have a good one.

#13 2012-05-27 12:05:11

Eren
#! Die Hard

^ About lurking to test browsers is definitely true my friend. lol I'm still testing them. If I like javascript I use conkeror but I'm not. big_smile You're very welcome. Thanks for the cookies. big_smile You know, I need to read at least 3 or 4 times because my mother language is not English. I do typos, misunderstands or etc a lot.

#14 2012-05-27 12:13:22

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

No IE?
How can you have a pissing contest without everyone's favourite urinal?

Point & Squirt

#15 2012-05-27 12:21:22

Eren
#! Die Hard

^ Some stupid, moronic shopping sites needs an IE to complete your order. At last they transform their sites compability to Chrome/Firefox in Turkey. I used IE to buy books from this sites under Linux with Wine. This is my sad story. sad

lol

#16 2012-05-27 12:30:10

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

^ A bunch of cookies for you, and a bonus cracker if you test xxxterm big_smile

#17 2012-05-27 12:36:06

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ lol Erin and Machine always cracks me friggin up too. lol

Dang it ... this forum is like a magnet ! Arghhh, Eren no worries, remember an old truism about people who make fun of people who speak somewhat broken english ... Means you/they speak more than one language. I can barely speak one. So since hearing that, pretty much tells folks around me that ( well folks acting like arsehats.) When hear them criticizing people that don't speak english 100% fluently. wink

You don't seem to keep FF/Iceweasel onhand. But something that might ( MIGHT ) work better than having to do IE + wine. There's a mozilla plugin called useragent switcher. You can tell a server FF/IW is whatever you want it to be. Even mobile devices if remember. Haven't used it in awhile. But including a bunch of the IE's. I've used it, to trick webservers on sites that are IE only to get them to work with Firefox. Most of them do ... no prob. Here's the link to the extension babbling about.

Definitely a good mozilla trick for nixers who run into IE only sites.

@Slob-san lol ... Would recant the IE bash, but cannot, then ya obvious already know. Internet Explorer is craptastic, even if FINALLY after many da long yr, M$ is finally attempting to make a web standard compliant browser. Still dislike IE and always will from now until forever. But not IE users ... shrugs. Being in net type stuff unfortunately sometimes IE is a necessary evil. Though also what great stuff like browsershots is for. wink

DAMMIT !!!! This time am really out of here, arghhhh ! Will be back if I ever get anything done ! hmm Good wish lades/gents. smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-05-27 15:52:45)

#18 2012-05-27 13:00:27

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

cbizcuit:

Gotcha. You're still here big_smile

#19 2012-05-27 13:07:48

ArttuH5N1
#! CrunchBanger

Running IE with Wine? Now I know what hell is like.

#20 2012-05-27 13:09:46

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

LUCKY GUESS Machine .. dammit, how do ya do that man !?!?! lol

Sadly yep .. in my usual over-anal about details fashion. Thought of summin needed to add for Eren ( or others). Not sure if that useragent plugin works w latest FF/IW ... If not ... can go to this mozilla website. They keep every version of Firefox since history began there. Have also resorted to using an older version of FF for a much loved plugin that lost upkeep.

Debian if remember keeps the same for every version of IW. Can't remember the ftp URL though and of course IW 3.5 is easily available in squeeze repo's. Then there's also supposed to be ways to get older incomptible plugins to work fine on newer mozilla anyway. Have never gone through that headache though. Always just used an older version that the plugin is guaranteed to work with.

Gawd I'm anal sometimes when trying to be helpful. I shall NOT be back for awhile this time darn it !!!. For real ... no kidding ! Well ... errrr, awhile, fark !!! lol

UPDATE:

Of course curiousity got the better of me. So had to stop by mozilla to see if the plugin still works with newer Fireweasel ... yep, looks like it does. Posted the link to it up above there. So looks like no worries for people who want to use it ... Says FF/IW v1.0 or newer. Fellows you are cleared for take-off if you'd like to try useragentswitcher thing. smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-05-27 15:56:04)

#21 2012-05-27 13:16:24

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

@CB
fwiw, I haven't used IE since the one that came with WinXP, almost a decade ago. It's supposedly come good now with regards to web standards and whatnot, at least according to what I've read.

As for the topic at hand; currently run either jumanji, uzbl or xxxterm/xombrero, depending on system. Don't really have a preference. One of my rigs does have firefox installed as a fallback and for the useragent-switcher in case I need it. Only version of chrome/chromium I'm running is the beta currently out for Android ICS on my phone.

Point & Squirt

#22 2012-05-28 01:16:42

zalew
#! Junkie

I don't get this obsession with ram usage here and there, there is other stuff when it comes to general performance. Also, testing without extensions has no point for me as extensions are the reason I use a specific browser. I use the one browser which supports my workflow, which is firefox. A few megabytes more of ram got allocated? I don't care.

The big problem is flash, I use chrome for listening to music so I don't have to close my tens of tabs when ('when', not 'if') it crashes.

#23 2012-05-28 10:50:52

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

whatadorkb.jpg

Hello everybody and welcome to another episode of ...  POINTLESS BROWSER BATTLES !!! yikes

New test w uzbl ( uzbl-tabbed), dwb and dillo thrown in !!! Yippie ! In the interests of trying to save time, only the same 5 webpgs were used this time. Had to mess around with some of the minimalist browsers some more and so figured may as well post it to #!ville with the rest of the madness I've been putting in this thread.

( All with whatever noscript like extension running.)

FF            ...    162mb
Chrome   ...    180mb
Opera      ...    184mb

Here's the "lightweight" minimalist contenders !!! Have no idea if there are any extensions for any of these. All are out of box condition. Most of the lightweight line-up didn't get the benefit of a bleachbit + reboot. It wouldnt've made any noticeable difference. So why waste the time etc.

a. uzbl-tabbed = 156-mbs

AFTER 10mins of screwing around with config files, struggling to remember keyboard cmds. Did manage to get two instances of the browser to open. On the same website, gave up on it, as mentioned was already using 156mbs.

b. uzbl-browser = 288-mbs 

Doesn't require any messing with config files to use after install. Can open links in a new window with a simple right click, select "Open in new window", they appear in your taskbar ( if you have one), not in the browsers title bar like with dwb and it used a shizzleton more RAM than dwb. Less user friendly, not faster and higher overhead. Imo dwb clearly stomps a mudhole in uzbl.

c. dillo = 76-mbs 

But 1 of the webpgs wouldn't open at all, 2 were pretty much useless and the remaining 2 were painful to look at, much less browse on. No config'ing required BUT ... sorry dillo, I'd MUCH rather use IE6 bud. lol

d. dwb = 182-mbs 

Imo, by FAR the easiest of these three to use. No configing ... a reasonable degree of pointy-clicky user-friendliness. ie: Click on link ... select "Open in new window" and the new windows appear pretty much like tabs in the toolbar above. Also not bad at all on system resources, speed etc. Compared to the others. If forced to use one of these 3, dwb would be it. The other two are painful to use ... jmo. smile

Mem Stats :

Fireweasel       ... 162-mbs.
Chrome           ... 180-mbs.
Opera              ... 184-mbs.
dwb                  ... 182-mbs.
uzbl-browser    ... 288-mbs.
uzbl-tabbed     ... 156 (Didn't get it working. Wasn't worth the effort imo.)
dillo                  ...  76-mbs (Easy enough to get working ... but WHY ?)

THE WINNER (AGAIN) ... AND STILL CHAMPION !?!?!? ... Firefox/IW + Noscript ! Dillo doesn't count. tongue Second runner up (almost), and CHAMPION of the "lightweight/minimalist" browser category !?!?!? Dwb ! Whoooooooo *throws confetti **** Lastly the winner of the you are still such a dork for doing this award (AGAIN)!? ME ... again !

CONCLUSION: Draw your own conclusions ladies/gents, I'm just being a dork and babbling about web-browsers. big_smile

PS,

Also of course want to point out these are just my impressions from using these minimal browsers for a REALLY short time. As in 20mins or less each ...

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-05-28 14:39:46)

#24 2012-05-28 11:04:56

2Karl
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Hey CB, any chance next time you can throw in some CPU usage stats too? Also are the browsers plugin-free as well as extension-free?

Flash usage is generally where performace differences become acute, so would be interesting to see how the different browsers hold up in similar situations.

Also page rendering speed - I'm more concerned with how quickly webpages render than how much RAM is being used, so if you can, throw in some speed tests in your next roundup.

Cheers.

"It's a pity she won't live... But then who does?" - Gaff.

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2012-05-28 12:23:50

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Nopers ...

Think got this messing w browsers thing just about out of my system. Probably should've checked top for a bit with each of them, just cuz. Been my experience hobby browsers all tend to be buggy, crashy, cpu spikey type deals. Could be exceptions or could stem from ignorance on my part in proper use too. Shrugs. All quickly uninstalled after doing this megadork test.

There was one more test that kinda crossed my mind. Remembering that old FF repository site. Firefox ... then AND now. However ... nahhhhhh, entirely too much time would get dumped and can't imagine the results would be all that interesting to anyone.

Ok ladies/gents ... out again. Hope you all have an enjoyable dy/nt ... cbiz. smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-05-28 12:26:05)

Board footer