SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-02 20:28:18

Ragnarok
#! Member

Hello, #!

Hello,

I'm new to the Linux world. I've been using Ubuntu on and off for the past year, but I never really felt "at home" when I used it.
Everything was already preconfigured, automated and if you tried to change one thing you would break ten others.
I didn't like not knowing how my system worked and how everything was hidden behind a pretty UI.
(Ubuntu is still an awesome system and it's amazing what Canonical's accomplished, but it's just not for some people.)

So, a few days ago I decided I wanted to switch to a new distro and breakup with W*****s for good. I've know about CrunchBang for awhile and I thought it would be a perfect distro to start learning how Linux systems work while still having a stable system I can use daily.
Note: While I think W*****s is a horrible OS, I still think it can be a useful tool at times.

I'm sooo~ loving #! so far. I finally feel like I'm "at home". I can configure things how I want and only install the packages I need. I feel like this is an awesome distro to get familiar with how Linux systems work while having the stability Debian.

^I know stories like this are extremely common, but it just so happens that it's true for me, so there's nothing I can do about it smile

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

About me:
(To give a basic image of myself -->)17, Male, Orlando, FL. (U.S) Height: 5'7" Weight: ~125lbs/~56.5kg

Nothing much to say. I've enjoyed computers and gadgets since I was little. I truly find modern technology fascinating.

I want to study computer science and will hopefully be attending college next year (I have yet to set anything up; I'm still in school.)
I plan on attending Seminole State for two years to get my AA and then transfer over to UCF, where I want to get my bachelors and hopefully masters.
The above can change at any time; I just wanted to give a basic idea of who I am.

Thank you for your time. I know I sound like a noob and an idiot, but I assure you, I am not an idiot . . (okay, maybe a little) wink

Please take care of me.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2011-12-02 20:37:21

dubois
The Old Codger

Re: Hello, #!

Sounds to me like you can take care of yourself just fine.  You got here, didn't you?  wink

#3 2011-12-02 20:39:13

EnochRoot
#! Junkie
Website

Welcome Ragnarok ! I'm a recent Ubuntu refugee like yourself (tho been using *Nix for quite some time in one shape or another). You should find #! pretty familiar from your time with Ubuntu, and in this forum you have access to some very knowledgable and helpful people. So have a play and any questions just ask !

#4 2011-12-02 20:53:25

sunfizz98
Carbonated Orange Juice
Website

Welcome Ragarok!  Enjoy your time here.

#5 2011-12-02 21:03:40

Ragnarok
#! Member

dubois wrote:

Sounds to me like you can take care of yourself just fine.  You got here, didn't you?  wink

Yep, but I seemed to have gotten lost along the way with Ubuntu, the seductress.

EnochRoot wrote:

Welcome Ragnarok ! I'm a recent Ubuntu refugee like yourself (tho been using *Nix for quite some time in one shape or another). You should find #! pretty familiar from your time with Ubuntu, and in this forum you have access to some very knowledgable and helpful people. So have a play and any questions just ask !

Thanks. From what I've seen, there's a guide for just about anything you could want here.
#! users seem to be happier than most other disto users big_smile

sunfizz98 wrote:

Welcome Ragarok!  Enjoy your time here.

Thanks! I'm already enjoying it here smile

Last edited by Ragnarok (2011-12-02 21:08:55)

#6 2011-12-02 21:09:56

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

hi Ragnarok, welcome to the community. seems we do not need to teach you any manners, as you cover your ass pretty well when you voice an opinion ('windows sucks, but can be good for some people' etc smile)
that is good to have. i'm sure you'll feel right at home here.

#7 2011-12-02 22:28:19

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Welcome to #! Ragnarok, enjoy the tofu!

Say lo to Mickey and Minnie for me...

I lived in Altamonte Springs for a while many moons ago

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

I dev VSIDO

#8 2011-12-03 01:45:24

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

Welcome to #! smile

Just about everyone here used Ubuntu for a while; back in the days of the 9.x versions, the hardware recongition was the best out there, so yeah, you're in good company here.

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#9 2011-12-03 04:34:39

Ragnarok
#! Member

@rhowaldt Lol, I got a good laugh out of that. I recognize Windows has its uses, but having to constantly repair mine and my family/friend's computers because Windows broke itself either through Windows Update or it's just that time of the month for it made me develop a great hatred for it.

@VastOne

I used to live ~15min. away from there (Apopka), and would go shopping at the mall every once in a while.
You probably didn't live there then either, though tongue

merelyjim wrote:

Welcome to #! smile

Just about everyone here used Ubuntu for a while; back in the days of the 9.x versions, the hardware recongition was the best out there, so yeah, you're in good company here.

I think Ubuntu is awesome, just not that great for learning how a Linux system works, IMO.
Ubuntu heavily customizes everything, too.

#10 2011-12-03 05:13:13

damo
#! gimpbanger

Ragnarok wrote:

So, a few days ago I decided I wanted to switch to a new distro and breakup with W*****s for good. I've know about CrunchBang for awhile and I thought it would be a perfect distro to start learning how Linux systems work while still having a stable system I can use daily.
Note: While I think W*****s is a horrible OS, I still think it can be a useful tool at times.

+1

I went back to Ubuntu from #! last year because of hassles with wireless and graphics tablet (and too much of a noob to persevere), but still ended up using win7 for the graphics apps and hardware (terrain rendering and tablet).

Unity I hated, the log-in is so windoze, and they persisted in hiding things I wanted as well as making it nearly impossible to hack some of the configuration sad

Now back here, feeling refreshed smile The wireless is OK, the tablet is running sweetly, and I'm chuffed because tonight I've got windoze running in VirtualBox and managed to get usb, shared folders and wireless networking going, so I can still use the software that linux hasn't produced yet. (When does a noob graduate to Intermediate?)

(I still feel like I need a shower every time I turn off the VM though!)

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#11 2011-12-03 08:04:17

vic
#! by Default

Welcome home Ragnarok, enjoy your #!, it is truly an amazing thing in distroland, good luck further and remember to study hardy, it pays back in the end.

Time to move on!#

#12 2011-12-04 09:55:21

cbdxs
#! Die Hard

Welcome to #!

Last edited by cbdxs (2011-12-04 09:55:44)

叫我差不多先生。

Board footer