SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-06 21:11:16

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Statler ate my GRUB!

This is weird.

I have 2 #! Statler installs on the same computer, one for testing and one for everyday use.

First I installed on /dev/sda1.

Then I installed on /dev/sda2. So far so good.

Yesterday I upgraded the original install on /dev/sda1. When I rebooted, something really weird happened... somehow the update process "stole" GRUB back from /dev/sda2!

Now I know how to fix this, no big deal, but... does anyone know what happened? Is this a known bug with GRUB2?

/hugged

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2010-12-06 22:10:04

wuy
#! Member

Re: Statler ate my GRUB!

There's no bug there. Both systems have grub installed so whenever the package is updated they'll reinstall it to the MBR.
Maybe you could uninstall grub from one of them and run update grub from the other so it picks the first.

Just to be sure I'll do it here (I have a similar setup) and report back.
(anyway, what I have been doing is keeping grub-pc and grub-common on hold in one of the systems so it's updated in only one of them)

Next time you have to install another system, just don't install grub. Running update-grub from your main system should pick the newly installed os.

Last edited by wuy (2010-12-06 22:11:25)

#3 2010-12-06 22:18:43

snowpine
#!-a-roo

So you're saying it's a "feature not a bug?" Lame. sad

/hugged

#4 2010-12-06 22:38:11

wuy
#! Member

Neither one nor the other.
You originally installed both to the MBR so whenever they're updated they're reinstalled to that location.

I did purge grub from one of my systems and also asked it to remove all configuration files (it gives you an option and defaults to 'no'). The other system picked it fine, only I haven't any way to tweak the parameters for the system without grub anymore AFAIK except directly from the menu screen (like for resolution, extra parameters etc.).

So what you can do is remove grub from one of your systems (apt-get remove grub-pc grub-common), leaving its configuration files so you can still use them to set whatever you like and you run update-grub from the other system when you need to.

Last edited by wuy (2010-12-06 22:39:42)

#5 2010-12-06 22:44:33

snowpine
#!-a-roo

It kind of makes sense when you explain it like that. I disagree with the feature, but now at least I see the logic behind it. wink

/hugged

Board footer