SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#101 2010-06-28 13:18:29

era506

Re: CrunchBang 10 "Statler" Alpha 2 Released

GuruX wrote:

My install of Statler A2 wasn't flawless. For some reason, my username wasn't added to the sudoers file. A Su terminal an visudo solved that. The repos wasn't there either. The cd repo was the only one in place. I manually added some repos, but I don't have the CB repos. What does your statler A2 repos look like?

That happened to me when I installed with a USB made with Unetbootin. I burned the cd and reinstalled and retrying was ok. I couldn't even login as root in the terminal so I decided to reinstall with the cd, no problems there.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#102 2010-06-28 13:39:25

secdroid
#! Member

era506 wrote:
GuruX wrote:

My install of Statler A2 wasn't flawless. For some reason, my username wasn't added to the sudoers file. A Su terminal an visudo solved that. The repos wasn't there either. The cd repo was the only one in place. I manually added some repos, but I don't have the CB repos. What does your statler A2 repos look like?

That happened to me when I installed with a USB made with Unetbootin. I burned the cd and reinstalled and retrying was ok. I couldn't even login as root in the terminal so I decided to reinstall with the cd, no problems there.

FWIW, I did a Live USB install using the method in post #79 on this thread and my account was added to /etc/sudoers and sudo works fine.  (The Live USB was created with the #! wiki instructions, but I believe the method would work the same with a Unetbootin stick.)

My /etc/apt/sources.list includes the crunchbanglinux.org repos, official debian squeeze repos and official debian security repos.  My /dev/sdb (substituted for /dev/cdrom in the install process) is not in my /etc/apt/sources.list.  It was only used during initial install, in lieu of a CD-ROM.

Edit: copy of sources.list

## CrunchBang Linux 10.xx aka Statler
## Compatible with Debian Squeeze, but use at your own risk.
deb http://packages.crunchbanglinux.org/statler statler main
## Official Debian Repositories:
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
# deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main

Last edited by secdroid (2010-06-28 14:33:32)

#103 2010-06-28 15:11:24

GuruX
#! Die Hard

@secdroid
Great! Thanks!
I used Unetbootin and ran the default menu option. I tried to just do it as simple and straight as possible. For the sake of testing.

#104 2010-06-28 15:29:28

era506

secdroid wrote:

FWIW, I did a Live USB install using the method in post #79 on this thread and my account was added to /etc/sudoers and sudo works fine.  (The Live USB was created with the #! wiki instructions, but I believe the method would work the same with a Unetbootin stick.)

Oh I didn't know about that method! It would have saved me from reinstalling in the first place... anyway it's working now smile Thanks for the tip secdroid!

#105 2010-06-28 15:59:42

kelean
#! CrunchBanger

I have been running for better than a day now.  All is running great so far.  I did have to update-grub to get all systems listed and had to change keyboard from gb to en.

I also love the cairo-compmgr.  I seen that in the autostart.sh file and thought I would give it a try. 

Excellent job Phillip.

#106 2010-06-28 16:02:58

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

era506 wrote:
GuruX wrote:

Glad to see I am not the only one with UNetbootin problems.  It tells me, it is not me.  When I looked at the card all the files were there, it just did not boot, and I have my BIOS set to boot from:
1. CD
2. USB
3. HD
4. Floppy (yes, I still one, no idea why - have not uses it in YEARS!)

#! Forum Moderator | To #! or not to #!?  That is the question!
#! Conky = 16 Threads & the Conky Archives | Conky PitStop | OHCG'er
StartPage -  protect your privacy   |   BBQLinux

#107 2010-06-28 16:15:47

GuruX
#! Die Hard

@Sector11
Try with setting a boot flag on the USB stick partition. You can edit it with gparted.

#108 2010-06-28 16:17:48

secdroid
#! Member

Sector11 wrote:

Glad to see I am not the only one with UNetbootin problems.  It tells me, it is not me.

FWIW, I've had problems with Unetbootin in the past.  That's why I used the #! wiki USB creation method instead --
http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/statler … stallation

Note: Gparted and other disk tools show the USB stick as invalid, but it boots fine.  Ran Live USB on desktop and netbook.

Note: If you are going to install  from the boot menu --
Due to an apparent hardcoded installer assumption that Debian distro files come from CD-ROM, check out my post #79 in this thread for a workaround.

#109 2010-06-28 18:17:24

kkoceski

Hi - new user here - Dell OptiPlex GX100 SFF seems to work fine !!!
Coppermine 565MHz with 512MB RAM.  Unlike some of the other recent distros, I can shutdown without locking up (Ubuntu 10.04, KahelOS 050110, LinuxMint 9 all lock up when just shutting down).  I'm not sure what is common, but maybe kernel 2.6.34 ???  #! seems to be using 2.6.32 ???
Thanks!, Kurt

#110 2010-06-28 19:21:55

mattatron
#! Member

era506 wrote:
GuruX wrote:

Same here. Must be related to the unetbootin install method.

Registered Linux user #503837

#111 2010-06-28 19:31:22

mattatron
#! Member

anonymous wrote:

My comments and questions (mostly aesthetics):

• For a default font, I think sans is preferable to mono. Monospace is nice for terminals, coding, and conkys but otherwise hmm

Seconded. It's a minor that's easily changed, but why have ugly (imho) fonts in Linux now that it can display nice ones? smile

Registered Linux user #503837

#112 2010-06-28 19:51:17

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

GuruX wrote:

@Sector11
Try with setting a boot flag on the USB stick partition. You can edit it with gparted.

Oh, OK,  thanks for the tip.

I would have though  UNetbootin would have set it up that way.  smile

#113 2010-06-28 19:51:26

lastgreatsea
#! Member

Been running statler since alpha 1 and when alpha 2 came out i upgraded. it came with a few problems though.
- screen distrortion, solved by disabling "KernelModesetting"
- wireless not working, solved by installing broadcom-sta driver

settings that i had to change were
- wrong keyboard, solved by changing to us
- wrong clock and region, solved by installing "ntp" and "ntpdate" and settings in "/etc/localtime"
- annoying system beep at login screen, removed by unchecking "Login screen ready" in "GDM Login setup"
- network manager, changed to wicd (personal preference)

all current problems are now solved and statler alpha 2 is awesome.

#114 2010-06-28 19:57:55

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

secdroid wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Glad to see I am not the only one with UNetbootin problems.  It tells me, it is not me.

FWIW, I've had problems with Unetbootin in the past.  That's why I used the #! wiki USB creation method instead --
http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/statler … stallation

Note: Gparted and other disk tools show the USB stick as invalid, but it boots fine.  Ran Live USB on desktop and netbook.

Note: If you are going to install  from the boot menu --
Due to an apparent hardcoded installer assumption that Debian distro files come from CD-ROM, check out my post #79 in this thread for a workaround.

GREAT link, bookmarked (post 79 as well) ... since this was my first attempt I didn't see that I read a bit at the UNetbootin site, should have been more.  smile

#115 2010-06-29 07:46:32

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I don't know if this error has been reported yet or not, but I'm getting an odd cupsd error at boot:

Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.
[   12.449418] b43-phy0 ERROR: Fatal DMA error: 0x0000040, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000
[   12.454808] b43-phy0 ERROR: This device does not support DMA on your system.  Please use PIO instead.

What device?  I don't have any printer attached. hmm  Is it possibly trying to set up my Broadcom card as a printer? yikes

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#116 2010-06-29 10:27:54

corenominal
WRONG
Website

I want to thank everybody who has responded with their alpha 2 feedback. I am sorry that I have not been able to reply to each individual post, but rest assured I have been reading all the posts carefully and making notes -- my TODO list is growing by the day. big_smile

From what I have been able to gather, it seems as if the keyboard language/layout problem is currently the issue which is affecting the most users. It also looks as if the UNetbootin issues are only partially resolved with some people reporting successful installs, while others have experienced failures.

With regards to the keyboard problem, it looks as if the language selection which is chosen during the installation is not being carried through to the installed system. I am not too sure why this is happening, but I will look into it and try to get it fixed before the next build. Meanwhile, I will create a "known issues" topic with details about how to change the default system keyboard layout.

With regards to the UNetbootin issues, this could be more difficult to pin down as there are so many different variables involved. Maybe a good place to start would be to try and figure out which versions of UNetbootin are working? I will start a new topic for this too.

I will now close this thread, so as to encourage people to start new topics for individual problems. Thank you again to everybody who has provided feedback. smile

#117 2010-11-30 20:51:26

corenominal
WRONG
Website

anonymous wrote:

For a default font, I think sans is preferable to mono. Monospace is nice for terminals, coding, and conkys but otherwise hmm

There is no accounting for taste! tongue

When viewing a tree, the arrows are near invisible unless you select the row (Only applies to the Shiki-Statler Dark theme)
vNHJucg

Fixed, hopefully:

2010113012911393381024x.th.png

The borders (especially the bottom one) for the Openbox themes seems way too thick

When the borders were thinner, complaints were made because people were finding it difficult to grab the window borders for resizing. hmm

What is the difference between the two Openbox Statler themes?

There is no difference, at the moment. However, I thought it would be safer to include separate Openbox themes in case changes need to be made to either at some point in the future.

May you tell me how to remove the gradient from the Openbox titlebars for your Statler themes?

An easy way would be to change the `bg.color` & `bg.colorTo` settings to the same value, like so:

window.active.title.bg.color: #3C3C3C
window.active.title.bg.colorTo: #3C3C3C

Are you using the latest Elementary icons (2.4)? The name for the terminal icon is capitalized in Statler, but downloading a fresh copy the icon has the proper lowercase name.

Note sure, I will check.

Sorry for the late reply. smile

#118 2010-12-01 07:00:57

pvsage
Internal Affairs

corenominal wrote:
anonymous wrote:

May you tell me how to remove the gradient from the Openbox titlebars for your Statler themes?

An easy way would be to change the `bg.color` & `bg.colorTo` settings to the same value, like so:

window.active.title.bg.color: #3C3C3C
window.active.title.bg.colorTo: #3C3C3C

It's even easier than this - just change "flat gradient vertical bevel1" to "flat solid".  If you do this, you can comment out the *.colorTo line or not; it will simply be ignored.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#119 2010-12-01 07:59:05

corenominal
WRONG
Website

^'ll work too! big_smile

Board footer