SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#126 2010-11-23 16:38:31

jollysnowman
#! CrunchBanger

Re: New website design coming

I like it! I wish the page width were a little wider, though; 1280px or even 1024 would be perfect.

Be excellent to each other!

#127 2010-11-23 16:57:55

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

anonymous wrote:

@johnraff - maybe you need to clear the cache for Iceweasel.

That's what it was.

Edit: if you have access to the old css, maybe someone can port it to a userstyle?

That's what I was wondering...
tNmE3NgThe css file is here if anyone wants it cool

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )

#128 2010-11-23 17:18:15

steen
#! CrunchBanger
Website

@papanominal: As a webdesigner and a designer of graphics I'm sorry to say that I think you lost a lot of readability with this new design. It's not the backgroundcolor, but the colorchoice and style of every little piece of the forum makes it a lot harder to read now. It's just too much dark with too little light and clear seperators. It gets kinda' mushy, and now I have to concentrate to seperate each post, where before it just seperated itself without me noticing/concentrating.

I can see this looks cool in regards to the looks and graphics of Crunchbang Statler, but I think as where it makes the system look cool, it makes the forum look very confusing. It's just 2 things made for different stuff.

Well. Thats just my 2 cents, and I'm sorry for the shitty english, but I'm not native english...

"You bow to NOone..."

#129 2010-11-23 17:40:49

nore
#! Junkie

steen wrote:

It gets kinda' mushy, and now I have to concentrate to seperate each post, where before it just seperated itself without me noticing/concentrating.

I don't agree or disagree but I can see your point.

Left Midori with default layout, right Firefox with Stylish and a quite usable dark usersyle :
tNmE3bQ

Unfortunately user styles may also hide elements in web pages. Carbon eXtreme turns the logo of CrunchBang forums from white on gray to light gray on light gray.

#130 2010-11-23 18:24:26

fox
#! Junkie

Looks like it has reverted to black on white.  Not so stylish, but much more readable.

Mac user with Linux tendencies
#!CrunchBang Waldorf & Ubuntu 13.04 on Acer 1810TZ (OCZ Vertex 2 128gb SSD)
Various linux virtual machines on a Mac mini, an iMac and a MacBook Air

#131 2010-11-23 18:38:46

omns
#! wanderer

I'm just wondering how many have read this blog post?

http://corenominal.org/2010/11/22/the-idea-of-dark/

Specifically

Personally, I really like the dark background and I would like to see it stay. A few people have suggested that an alternative theme could be offered, especially for the forums. I like this idea and I will probably implement it at some point.

It seems those of us who don't like the new theme will get what they want. All that is needed is a little patience smile

#132 2010-11-23 18:54:40

pvsage
Internal Affairs

fox wrote:

Looks like it has reverted to black on white.  Not so stylish, but much more readable.

*Where* are you seeing this?  I still see the same off-white on charcoal that I've grown to love.

Yes; as a matter of fact, I am a cop.  Why do you ask? cool
I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#133 2010-11-23 18:57:15

ali
#! Die Hard

omns wrote:

It seems those of us who don't like the new theme will get what they want. All that is needed is a little patience smile

it's not that we don't like it, i think it's very classy but it's not very practical, it's very bad for the eyes

People with astigmatism (aproximately 50% of the population) find it harder to read white text on black than black text on white. Part of this has to do with light levels: with a bright display (white background) the iris closes a bit more, decreasing the effect of the "deformed" lens; with a dark display (black background) the iris opens to receive more light and the deformation of the lens creates a much fuzzier focus at the eye.

Jason Harrison – Post Doctoral Fellow, Imager Lab Manager – Sensory Perception and Interaction Research Group, University of British Columbia

Last edited by ali (2010-11-23 20:00:54)

#134 2010-11-23 20:14:19

Awebb
The Singularity

jollysnowman wrote:

I like it! I wish the page width were a little wider, though; 1280px or even 1024 would be perfect.

Negative. Not everyone has such a "big" display. Just... flexible...

I'm so meta, even this acronym

#135 2010-11-23 22:30:08

fox
#! Junkie

pvsage wrote:
fox wrote:

*Where* are you seeing this?  I still see the same off-white on charcoal that I've grown to love.

In the forums.

Mac user with Linux tendencies
#!CrunchBang Waldorf & Ubuntu 13.04 on Acer 1810TZ (OCZ Vertex 2 128gb SSD)
Various linux virtual machines on a Mac mini, an iMac and a MacBook Air

#136 2010-11-23 23:13:20

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Try clearing your browser's cache. Its should still be gray.

#137 2010-11-24 02:53:19

nathwill
#! CrunchBanger
Website

my feedback, for what it's worth...

i like the direction, fixed width, dark color scheme, it really fits the #! look. from a usability perspective, i feel like it's a little too dark, though i do like the way it makes the avatars pop... *sigh* i'm just a little resistant to change i guess. thank you though for the work that went into the change, there's definitely more positives than negatives. i'll try to live w/ the dark scheme, and if it doesn't work out work up a greasemonkey script to change body background to #4f4f4f instead.

*edit*
i guess i need to follow corenominal's personal site more closely. i read the article omns posted to, and will say that after reading it, i fully understand the decision to go dark. will amp up the effort to adapt before criticizing, though in my defense, i do web development, so my opinion stems from more than just a knee-jerk.

*2nd edit*
last comment. i understand this is a one-man oligarchy, and so far corenominal has not led us wrong (lead on oh captain my captain), to explain the resistance a little i guess i would just say that since so many have found a home in this awesome community, this change isn't necessarily bad, but it is a bit like coming home to find all your furniture rearranged.

that's all. buh bye now.

Last edited by nathwill (2010-11-24 03:06:06)

NOTICE: alloc: /dev/null: filesystem full

#138 2010-11-24 11:00:31

briantm
#! CrunchBanger

serious_lee wrote:
briantm wrote:

What barcodes? What numbers???

Its a conspiracy. Right there after the last post on each page.

It's not showing for me! No barcodes anywhere.

Btw... it is hard - on my screen at least - to tell which quote link is for which post.  I know there is a line between posts but its not really visible on my screen.

EDIT:

OK, now I see them!

Last edited by briantm (2010-11-24 11:01:45)

#139 2010-11-24 13:16:03

pvsage
Internal Affairs

The panes surrounding the posts and other forum elements could definitely use a bit more contrast.  They're just barely visible on my netbook's screen; I'm sure they'd disappear on something like gutterslob's Thinkpad.

Yes; as a matter of fact, I am a cop.  Why do you ask? cool
I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#140 2010-11-24 15:40:37

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

pvsage wrote:

gutterslob's Thinkpad.

I have a ThinkPad?! ... Where?!! O_O
Heh, the old ThinkPad, I gave away, mate.

Current monitors/systems and clarity of #! forum
Eizo CG303
Calibrated, ProPhotoRGB colorspace. Can see everything, clear as dark crystal, well lit room. Not surprising considering it costs the same as a WMD.

HP 2009P (the 1600x900 one I you see in many of my screenshots)
Calibrated, SRGB colorspace. Everything visible. Located in a very dark part of my home.

Crappy old Acer Laptop 14"
Borders are a bit hard to make out. This screen handles shades of dark better than shades of bright, though. For example, if it were #F2F2F2 borders against a #FFFFFF BG, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to see squat.

Netbook 10"
Everything mostly visible, unless I go outdoors in the afternoon (suicidal in my part of the world, btw)

steen wrote:

@papanominal: As a webdesigner and a designer of graphics I'm sorry to say that I think you lost a lot of readability with this new design. It's not the backgroundcolor, but the colorchoice and style of every little piece of the forum makes it a lot harder to read now.

There's a LOT I want to say here, but I'll refrain. All I will say is that all forms of visual art are dependent on the lighting in which they're viewed in. There's no de facto standard for readability, regardless of what your design school taught you. (I'm in the graphic arts as well, btw).

I agree that some elements can be improved upon, though. The borders could be brighter or darker, the width should be flexible to allow for space-efficiency on different sized screens, and there should be some element of colour to offset stuff. But still, I think it's a pretty usable palette for my current lighting conditions. My eyes would bleed if you used a pixelf*cker-turtleneck-designfoo-Michael-Jackson palette. I often used a style sheet with the old theme, or tuned window transparency to 40% with the compositor.

Edit:
I just tried out TunaSushi's stylesheet, and it looks decent. Seems a good compromise for those who can't gel with the current Papanominal scheme.

Last edited by gutterslob (2010-11-24 16:05:19)

Point & Squirt

#141 2010-11-24 16:01:49

Hackuity
#! CrunchBanger

I don't have said my opinion yet, what a shame...I LOVE this style CN, that's just the way CB is intended to be: clean and cool. Great work!

#142 2010-11-24 16:29:31

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

Awebb wrote:
jollysnowman wrote:

Negative. Not everyone has such a "big" display. Just... flexible...

Right. A fluid layout, rather than fixed in pixels. CSS allows that - the old design had it of course.

Then a little tweaking maybe to make the letters more readable (background slightly darker, text slightly lighter), make the individual posts slightly more obvious, the odd bit of colour...

Would that be leading totally off what Phillip's trying to achieve?

Last edited by johnraff (2010-11-24 16:32:51)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )

#143 2010-11-24 18:08:10

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

gutterslob wrote:

Edit:
I just tried out TunaSushi's stylesheet, and it looks decent. Seems a good compromise for those who can't gel with the current Papanominal scheme.

Well said ... I'm using a "slightly" modified TunaSushi's (I like that, I hope he doesn't take offence) stylesheet with things just a "shade" on the darker side.  I really like it.  It was the dark-grey with off-white that my eyes rebelled against.

Every now and then I open the forums in Midori to look and see if anything has changed and if I "maximize it" (1280x1024) and then [Ctrl]+[mouse scroll] to the largest I can keeping the headers like:

INDEX USER LIST RULES SEARCH PROFILE PRIVATE MESSAGES LOGOUT

vs

INDEX USER LIST RULES SEARCH PROFILE PRIVATE MESSAGES
LOGOUT

I can do quite well with Midori set like that without it bothering my eyes "so much".

Which would fit under:

gutterslob wrote:

There's no de facto standard for readability, regardless of what your design school taught you.

A person's "quality of sight" comes to play under that statement.  I know one person that says traffic lights are red, orange and green.  And yes, for her, bananas are yellow.

Type of lighting also comes to the playing field as well: Fluorescent lighting, incandescent lighting or the new energy efficient lighting (is it: Soft White, Warm White, Cool White, Daylight or some other).  Maybe your computer is by a window and you get more "natural lighting" than artificial.

I like the new theme, it's my eyes that rebel!  I like the mono font too.

However: Flexable width would be nice.

Midori:
01a419108048556.jpg

Iceweasel:
0efdc1108048563.jpg

S11

Last edited by Sector11 (2010-11-24 18:09:13)

#144 2010-11-24 18:17:10

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

Sector11 wrote:

A person's "quality of sight" comes to play under that statement.  I know one person that says traffic lights are red, orange and green.  And yes, for her, bananas are yellow.

Uhm... I'm colorblind as well, FYI (red, magenta, orange appear very muted for me... some shades of purple I can't separate from blue) ... my world lacks any warmth whatsoever. I've learned to compensate by judging luminosity (Hex, CMYK and RGB values became my good friends later in life). I do get it wrong every now and then, but I've never blamed my eyes for it, just my mind not not being able to decode.

Just saying....

Straying back to topic,
What can I say, I'm just more fond of dark. Probably has something to do with me spending half my life in discos and photo darkrooms. Cellar Dweller, as Awebb calls it. =P

Last edited by gutterslob (2010-11-24 18:25:28)

Point & Squirt

#145 2010-11-24 19:05:35

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

gutterslob wrote:

Just saying....

Straying back to topic,
What can I say, I'm just more fond of dark. Probably has something to do with me spending half my life in discos and photo darkrooms. Cellar Dweller, as Awebb calls it. =P

And I wasn't trying to be disrespectful with what I was saying either, just pointing out that there are yet other factors to be considered. Without even thinking about: Personal Choice!  big_smile

I wasn't into discos that much but spent time in my own darkroom "years" ago doing black and white.

Awebb did some up with a couple of really nice names.  big_smile

Last edited by Sector11 (2010-11-24 19:06:18)

#146 2010-11-24 19:58:55

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

Just noticed the new "Toggle Colorscheme" and "Toggle Width" options.

Looks decent. I'm sure the Open Air Geeks will be pleased, as will the rich folk with 69" wide HDTV monitors.

Great work, Papanominal. Once again, you've saved the human race from self-destruction.

Now, I switch back to dark before my retinas get decimated/

Point & Squirt

#147 2010-11-24 20:05:27

corenominal
WRONG
Website

gutterslob wrote:

Just noticed the new "Toggle Colorscheme" and "Toggle Width" options.

smile

Yes, I have added some new icons:

themeoptions.png

As identified, the first will toggle between the default theme and a not so dark alternative theme, the second will toggle between fixed and fluid widths. I hope this helps. smile

P.S. The icons are located under the forum's main "INDEX" link, you may or may not need to refresh a couple of times before they appear.

#148 2010-11-24 20:21:03

omns
#! wanderer

Ah, thanks corenominal. I must admit it depends on which machine I'm using and the screen quality which effects which one I prefer. This is an ideal solution. I'm sure you'll make many people happy with this one smile

#149 2010-11-24 20:47:08

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Thanks for the switches corenominal smile

I still wish the dark theme had some light grays to separate sections though,

Be excellent to each other!

#150 2010-11-24 20:56:38

ali
#! Die Hard

well much better than before smile