SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-08 17:43:14

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

Have you tried #! with DE other than Xfce or Openbox?

Found this over in the Debian User forums ... thought it was hilarious . . . but, then I got to thinking.

"so do all the cool kids run awesome now....and openbox is like soooooo last week...."

Upon further research . . . many people, either experimenting or still looking for a light-weight desktop have started using desktops other than Xfce or Openbox with Debian 'testing'

Fluxbox
Awesome
IceWM
e17

Has anyone using #!Statler tried any of these other light desktops with #!Crunchbang?
Are they easy to configure or use?  Lighter than Openbox?

I know that some of us ... are desktop-hopping fools.  tongue

I tried both, Fluxbox and IceWM with Puppy/Linux but, it was early in my Linux experience and I didn't even think of customizing them.

Last edited by vrkalak (2010-11-08 17:44:39)

Registered Linux User: #497030
DeviantART pageAsk.Debian
#!Crunchbang 'Waldorf' (Openbox) -- Mint-Debian Fluxbox Edition

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2010-11-08 17:51:42

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

Re: Have you tried #! with DE other than Xfce or Openbox?

I wanted to give e17 a chance when I've got the time to and feel certain enough I won't mess my Arch by trying it. I really like the idea of having a right click menu AND compiz like effects AND tweakable DE. Also TilingWM's seem interesting, but I'm gonna try e17 first.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#3 2010-11-08 18:26:48

Hanna
Conky Queen

All the cool kids use Pekwm... well I use pekwm tongue Been using it quite a long time now. I don't know if Pekwm is any lighter than Openbox and it's configuring isn't necessarily quite as straight forward as openbox's. But I really like it (especially that I can group windows).

HANNA (without "h" in the end) likes green and #! smile
Also know as ultraturquoise online / #! last.fm / #! DeviantART / U

#4 2010-11-08 18:31:32

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

Many people might not realize this, but #! (either Statler or 9.04) already comes with an alternative window manager, and a damned good one at that......  DWM.

Personally, if I wanted to install multiple WMs for comparison, I wouldn't start with Statler but with a minimal Debian netinstall or GRML (or Arch or Gentoo, if apt isn't a requirement). Reason being I'd want to avoid stuff like GDM (prefer plain startX/xinitrc), network manager (prefer wicd-curses) ...etc.

Tried a few WMs with Debian. Openbox (obviously) with configs imported from my #! install, FluxBox, PekWM, ScrotWM, Musca, Ratpoison, DWM, Xmonad, wmii have all performed admirably. Favourites so far have been ScrotWM and Openbox, mainly for their no-nonsense approach and relatively straightforward configs. Ratpoison is great as well, especially on an old laptop with a malfunctioning touchpad (RP has no mouse support, FYI). I found PekWM and OpenBox to have similar features and performance, though I obviously don't have as much experience with Pek as Hanna does.

I couldn't stand AwesomeWM (it just tries too hard and has shitty syntax, imo... sorry fanboys) and ION3 (probably my fault for not configuring it properly). BlackBox was fun and nostalgic, but seemed a bit plain compared to the other *box WMs.

Compiz standalone is fun if you like bling and effects (way better than Gnome + Compiz, imho), but performance and stability vary depending on version.

Planning to try FVWM and maybe Subtle in the coming weeks, once I find time to sort out a new GRML based install (preferably on my netbook). From what I've heard, FVWM seems the fastest out of the lot with regards to sheer responsiveness.

Among those I've tried, Musca and ScrotWM seem a tad more responsive then the rest, though the difference is negligible, and your mileage may vary depending on underlying packages/libraries/daemons installed.

Cheers.

Edit:
If you're talking about sheer coolness, look at this, http://www.hiprank.com/awesome-vs-dwm-v … monad.html , apply the increasingly relevant "humanity is tasteless" rule, and you'll deduce that DWM is the only cool WM out there (it's the project that gave us the ultra-spectacular Dmenu, after all), by a wide margin .... the rest are just for fakes and poseurs tongue

Edit Mk 2:
Wouldn't this topic be more suited for the "WM/DE Talk" section?

Last edited by gutterslob (2010-11-09 00:11:46)

Point & Squirt

#5 2010-11-08 18:39:02

isidor_swe
#! Member

My favourite is Fluxbox, because it's sort of like Openbox, but not a pain to configure! (Sorry, don't like the format of those xml files...)

Also, any tiling WM rocks when I don't need to be productive - I enter "über-geek mode" when I use them and end up playing around with urxvt, vim and configuration files all day... wink

Running Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" and Statler/Sid on a Sony VAIO VGN-NR31Z/S.
"I'd horse-whip you if I had a horse!" --Groucho Marx

#6 2010-11-08 19:00:23

Awebb
The Singularity

#! with something other than Openbox or Xfce isn't really #! anymore :-D

isidor_swe wrote:

Also, any tiling WM rocks when I don't need to be productive - I enter "über-geek mode" when I use them and end up playing around with urxvt, vim and configuration files all day... wink

Exactly. That's why I'm running Windows everytime I actually have work to do. Can't stop me from tinkering with all those nice things Linux can do.

I tried to do tax stuff, installed wine for the official tax software of our finacial bureau. Guess what... I ended up recompiling...

I'm so meta, even this acronym

#7 2010-11-08 21:54:47

Kuno
#! Die Hard

Awebb wrote:

Exactly. That's why I'm running Windows everytime I actually have work to do. Can't stop me from tinkering with all those nice things Linux can do.

I tried to do tax stuff, installed wine for the official tax software of our finacial bureau. Guess what... I ended up recompiling...

Then install virtualbox, in there install xp and then try to run your tax-stuff. For me that worked, while wine did not. For me no need to run windows anymore... smile

#8 2010-11-08 22:29:47

anonymous
The Mystery Member

gutterslob wrote:

MEdit Mk 2:
Wouldn't this topic be more suited for the "WM/DE Talk" section?

Done.

Although I don't run #!, I have tried awesome and scrotwm. I think my machine is too powerful for me to notice a speed difference between Openbox and awesome. Tiling is cool though.

#9 2010-11-09 04:46:02

AlexMex90
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I installed a debian testing with enlightenment but I didn't liked it, I found it kind of ugly and I was too lazy to tweak it, I think I prefer more minimalistic environments like the default one on #!.

Last edited by AlexMex90 (2010-11-09 04:50:50)

Statler: Are you running Mac or PC?

Waldorf: After that... I'm running away!

#10 2010-11-09 16:18:09

Awebb
The Singularity

Kuno wrote:
Awebb wrote:

Then install virtualbox, in there install xp and then try to run your tax-stuff. For me that worked, while wine did not. For me no need to run windows anymore... smile

It's not about Wine not working... it's about "hmm wasn't there a nifty patch for something totally different". As soon as I'm on Linux, I start tinkering.

I'm so meta, even this acronym

#11 2010-11-09 16:42:18

ElderV.LaCoste
#! Die Hard

I guess I'm not one of the "cool kids" because I am rather enamored with wmii right now.  I also have a preference for Openbox but only because I understand it a little bit.  Anyone know a good tutorial for wmii?

Last edited by ElderV.LaCoste (2010-11-09 16:51:46)

Things are not as they seem, nor are they otherwise.
- Lankavatara Sutra

#12 2010-11-09 17:05:44

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Have you check out this guide?

http://wmii.googlecode.com/hg/doc/wmii.pdf

The Arch wiki has some info too:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wmii

#13 2010-11-09 17:19:37

ElderV.LaCoste
#! Die Hard

anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I glanced at the Arch one I will check the other one as well smile

- Lankavatara Sutra

#14 2010-11-09 17:21:45

ElderV.LaCoste
#! Die Hard

anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I glanced at the Arch one I will check the other one as well smile

[edit]  The .pdf one looks really good.  Thanks again. 

Edit again:  Yep, I did miss the edit button.  Sorry for the double post feel free to delete one or both.

Last edited by ElderV.LaCoste (2010-11-09 18:35:53)

- Lankavatara Sutra

#15 2010-11-09 17:28:49

anonymous
The Mystery Member

You're welcome. Also looks like you missed the edit button tongue

#16 2010-11-09 18:00:16

jollysnowman
#! CrunchBanger

I haven't used any of the other light ones, but I had compiz and metacity on #! 9.04 for a time, and it was definitely very nice looking.

#17 2010-11-10 17:18:41

ElderV.LaCoste
#! Die Hard

Scrotwm seems to run the best on my machine(preface all statements with "so far").  It seems more intuitive than the others and it doesn't "hang" like wmii did.  Xmonad wore me out so I let it go (although it is still installed...).  There is a noticeable increase in performance with Scrotwm.  I just un-installed Awesome.  I kind of got the feeling that it can't figure out what it wants to be.

@Gutterslob - If you can give me any tips on getting Conky to work in the status bar it would be most helpful.  I read the Arch tips and I saw your comments on Gnomelook.org,

"ScrotWM comes with a 'baraction.sh' script that you can uncomment in the .scrotwm.conf, and it'll pick up the stuff in your .conkyrc."

After I copied the .scrotwm.conf file to my home directory I tried that but it didn't work for me.  Does Conky need a special configuration?

Last edited by ElderV.LaCoste (2010-11-10 18:28:28)

- Lankavatara Sutra

#18 2010-11-10 19:15:11

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

@Elder
Oh crap... did I really say that? O_o
It's a tad inaccurate. (I better go find that post and edit it)

Anyhoo, heres what you do to pipe conky to the bar

I assume you already have your ~/.scrotwm.conf.
In it there should be a line that starts with "bar_action".  It usually defaults to "baraction.sh", but you should tell it to read your ~/.conkyrc instead

bar_action     = conky

You also need to tell your conky to output its sorry self to the console and make sure your desired variables are a single line.

Here's my ~/.conkyrc as an example:

# Conky configuration for ScrotWM Bar

##############################################
#  Settings
##############################################
out_to_x no
background no
out_to_console yes
update_interval 1
total_run_times 0
use_spacer none
#no_buffers yes
#cpu_average_samples 1
#net_average_samples 1
TEXT
    CPU - ${cpu cpu0}.00%   RAM - ${memperc}.00%   Temperature - ${acpitemp}C   Battery - ${battery_percent BAT0}%   WiFi - ${wireless_link_qual wlan0}%   Uploads - ${upspeedf wlan0}kb/s   Downloads - ${downspeedf wlan0}kb/s

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Edit:
I had to make sure the "update_interval" in my conkyrc and the "bar_delay" in my .scrotwm.conf were both set to 1 ... the bar flickered a lot otherwise.

Last edited by gutterslob (2010-11-10 19:41:43)

Point & Squirt

#19 2010-11-10 21:37:17

hhh
Caught in the Vortex

I replaced Xfce w/ Gnome on Statler with no problem, except for the minor problem that I have with any Debian-Gnome setup... I can't get Notify OSD to control Volume hotkey feedback. Gnome-settings-daemon handles it and I have no idea how to bypass that.

I just posted about the same issue happening with Mint Debian Edition, it's supposed to be configured with notify-osd out of the box, but the volume display, and I assume brightness display for laptops with brightness hotkeys, are handled by gnome-settings-daemon and are fugly. Guess who replied? Omns!! (link to screenshot is in the thread)...
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=59160

#20 2010-11-11 00:51:15

ElderV.LaCoste
#! Die Hard

@Gutterslob - Thanks for posting your Conky.  That did the trick.  I'm gonna keep Scrotwm.

- Lankavatara Sutra

#21 2010-11-11 03:01:43

ioos

hhh wrote:

I replaced Xfce w/ Gnome on Statler with no problem, except for the minor problem that I have with any Debian-Gnome setup... I can't get Notify OSD to control Volume hotkey feedback. Gnome-settings-daemon handles it and I have no idea how to bypass that.

Any tips? Or maybe you could give me an idea of what packages I need to install and uninstall? I was looking at replacing XFCE with Gnome or maybe even KDE+Openbox, but I'm pretty sure that if I install "gnome-desktop-environment" or the KDE equivalent, I'm going to end up with a lot of duplicate applications and other things that I don't want.

#22 2010-11-11 03:07:12

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Hanna wrote:

All the cool kids use Pekwm... well I use pekwm tongue Been using it quite a long time now. I don't know if Pekwm is any lighter than Openbox and it's configuring isn't necessarily quite as straight forward as openbox's. But I really like it (especially that I can group windows).

Pekwm is pretty neat. I started messing around with it in the summer (then I stopped messing around with everything for a while) but it was a lot of fun. I should try it again.

#! forum moderator

#23 2010-11-11 04:09:17

hhh
Caught in the Vortex

ioos wrote:

Any tips?.

sudo apt-get install gnome
sudo apt-get purge xfce* xfwm* thunar*

Effing gnome-settings-daemon.

Last edited by hhh (2010-11-11 04:18:10)

#24 2010-11-11 15:11:31

ElderV.LaCoste
#! Die Hard

Does anyone know how to add Ratpoison to GDM?  I found this but it doesn't
work:

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/7061/2/

There is no Ratpoison.desktop file.

Last edited by ElderV.LaCoste (2010-11-11 16:23:42)

- Lankavatara Sutra

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2010-11-11 16:33:37

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

@Elder
I'm not sure since I've never launced Ratpoison with GDM before. I don't have GDM installed on my "multi-wm" rig or netbook.

Looking at that guide you posted, I assume you should have a ratpoison.desktop file in your /usr/share/xsessions

Could you paste it's contents here?

Last edited by gutterslob (2010-11-11 16:36:38)

Point & Squirt

Board footer