SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-29 10:33:26

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Alpha 2 Known Issues

Known issues with the CrunchBang Alpha 2 builds:

1. Keyboard layout/language selection not honoured
Problem: The keyboard layout and language selections which are chosen during the installation are not being carried through to the installed system.
Fix: Run the following command, select your desired keyboard layout and restart for the selection to take:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

2. UNetbootin installation issues
Problem: Some users have reported that UNetbootin installations are failing.
Fix: None yet. This problem does not seem to affect everyone. If you have experienced either success or failure with UNetbootin, please see: debugging alpha 2 unetbootin installations

Last edited by corenominal (2010-06-29 11:03:59)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2010-07-24 04:21:46

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Alpha 2 Known Issues

This one seems quite common, and has an easy workaround:
Other operating systems do not appear in Grub menu
After installation other operating systems elsewhere in the computer may not appear on the Grub boot menu, although the installer may have reported them as "detected" when installing Statler.
Fix: Run

sudo update-grub

and reboot.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#3 2010-07-26 20:11:00

AlmaMorena
Website

corenominal wrote:

1. Keyboard layout/language selection not honoured
Problem: The keyboard layout and language selections which are chosen during the installation are not being carried through to the installed system.
Fix: Run the following command, select your desired keyboard layout and restart for the selection to take:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

I'm using my keyboard in Turkish and I got same problem, too. I run this command but still I couldn't use my keyboard's Turkish characters. Then right Clicked on desktop, in Xcfe menu / Settings / Keyboard. And I've changed my keyboard's settlement and then everything is ok now.

dpkg-reconfigure wasn't enough for me to change layout so I'd like to define this small trick in here, too.

By the way I've just tried Alpha 2 xcfe & it's great again as usual smile Thanks every one.

#4 2010-07-27 16:25:58

steen
#! CrunchBanger
Website

New Cursor Theme installs enabled as default
Problem: I just installed the moblin-cursor-theme with synaptic. But I didn't enable this mousetheme. But when I restarted my PC next time, the moblin-theme was the chosen theme. This must be a bug...
Fix: see following post.

Edit: reformatted post to the same layout as others reports --omns

Last edited by omns (2010-08-09 22:08:33)

"You bow to NOone..."

#5 2010-07-28 09:19:29

SuNjACk
#! Die Hard

steen wrote:

I just installed the moblin-cursor-theme with synaptic. But I didn't enable this mousetheme. But when I restarted my PC next time, the moblin-theme was the chosen theme. This must be a bug...

Try this

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme

"I'd rather run Linux on a 6.5KHz machine through an ARM emulator than run Vista"

#6 2010-08-04 20:09:46

hhh
Caught in the Vortex

aumix, Htop errors in Xfce
Problem: aumix and Htop generating errors on startup in Xfce version
Fix: In the Xfce release candidate, go to Settings>Preferred Applications>Utilities and set the Terminal Emulator to Xfce Terminal so you don't get an error when starting aumix, Htop, etc...

Edit: reformatted post to the same layout as others reports --omns

Last edited by omns (2010-08-09 22:05:26)

#7 2010-08-09 09:46:43

johnraff
nullglob
Website

...btw, this is Corenominal's thread, not mine, but wasn't it intended as a list of known issues, preferably with workarounds, rather than a general Alpha 2 help thread?

ie, wouldn't some of these issues be better posted in threads of their own? smile

Last edited by johnraff (2010-08-09 09:51:18)

John
--------------------
#! forum moderator

#8 2010-08-09 14:58:47

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Good point johnraff and to encourage people to post their own threads, I'll close this one. Corenominal or another mod can re-open it if necessary.

#9 2010-08-09 22:02:05

omns
#! wanderer

I have moved several of these posts into their own support threads and edited the layout of others. Let's try again smile

To keep the thread on track, stick to the format outlined in Post 1

Title of Bug
Problem - description of the problem/bug
Fix - post the fix if you have it. If you don't, start a support thread. When you have it, edit this post to report the solution smile

#10 2010-09-26 05:04:31

nolatux
#! Member

Clock setting issues... I changed time zone in Orage and in Tint2 to to America/Chicago and CDT (respectively) and my system time is still 10 hours ahead.

Currently running "Statler" - Openbox edition.

#11 2010-09-26 12:29:29

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

nolatux wrote:

Clock setting issues... I changed time zone in Orage and in Tint2 to to America/Chicago and CDT (respectively) and my system time is still 10 hours ahead.

Try this:

sudo apt-get install ntp

Linux, Clocks, and Time

#12 2010-09-26 19:30:38

nolatux
#! Member

Sector11 wrote:
nolatux wrote:

Try this:

sudo apt-get install ntp

Linux, Clocks, and Time

I used the date command to set the date and time (e.g. sudo date 09260508) which solved the problem but I will give ntp a try.

There is a sym link method posted on the forum where a link is created from the local time file in /etc/localtime to the /usr/share/zoneinfo<locale> which I would advise against anyone reading to use because, after I created the link to my time zone, I was no longer able to connect to the Internet (using a LAN + cable modem).

Many thanks

cool

Last edited by nolatux (2010-09-26 19:31:20)

#13 2010-09-26 19:40:32

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

nolatux wrote:
Sector11 wrote:
nolatux wrote:

Try this:

sudo apt-get install ntp

Linux, Clocks, and Time

I used the date command to set the date and time (e.g. sudo date 09260508) which solved the problem but I will give ntp a try.

When I install Linux, I install it for my LOCALE, I let Linus keep UST (GMT) then I install ntp and it grabs the time from a timeserver for my locale.  The clock is always right.  EXCEPT: Argentine turns on Daylight Savings Time at the whim of the government. And then some provinces say -- NO! Not us!  Polite way of giving my comment on that: #&$/%(  big_smile

Last edited by Sector11 (2010-09-26 19:41:54)

#14 2010-09-26 20:33:57

nolatux
#! Member

Sector11 wrote:
nolatux wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Try this:

sudo apt-get install ntp

Linux, Clocks, and Time

When I install Linux, I install it for my LOCALE, I let Linus keep UST (GMT) then I install ntp and it grabs the time from a timeserver for my locale.  The clock is always right.  EXCEPT: Argentine turns on Daylight Savings Time at the whim of the government. And then some provinces say -- NO! Not us!  Polite way of giving my comment on that: #&$/%(  big_smile

I installed NTP and verified my locale was set to the US and changed the Clock Settings in Tint2 to America/Chicago from CDT and my clock is up to date.

Thanks big_smile

Last edited by nolatux (2010-09-26 21:01:03)

#15 2010-09-27 12:06:45

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Er, with all due respect to nolatux and Sector11 - lots of respect etc smile
but shouldn't this discussion be in its own thread?
Have another look at Omns' post: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/post/81103/#p81103

John
--------------------
#! forum moderator

#16 2010-10-01 09:22:25

tshann
#! Member

1. Hibernate doesn't work
Problem: Hibernate doesn't work on  my 2 computers (a Dell Optiplex 210L Desktop - 1.5 gigs Ram, P4 3ghz), (HP DV5, 4 gig, Core 2 duo lappie) I get the same outcome: I can hibernate, but resume just comes up as if rebooting. It appears to ignore any stored images/pages on the swap partition.
Fix is here: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … n-statler/

I tried uswsusp, but not available for squeeze.  Suspend, however, works great on both computers. I tried someone's suggestion of adding the swap partition location to grub2 and swapping out xfce4-power-manager with gnome-power-manager. Didn't have any effect.

Peace

P.S.
  Edited to fit format of thread smile. There's already a thread about hibernate/suspend in statler, here: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … n-statler/.

Last edited by tshann (2010-10-09 05:30:53)

#17 2010-10-01 17:52:16

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Please, everyone! Till a mod comes in here can I take it upon myself to point out that this thread was not intended for questions!
If I understood correctly it's a reference thread, where new users of Statler will be directed to check out the known issues and their workarounds, if available.

So, if you have a problem with Statler, check this thread, search the forum and if you can't find an answer start your own thread asking for help. If you find the solution, and the original problem was an issue with Statler Alpha 2, not your hardware, special settings etc, then please post to this thread referring to Corenominal's original post and Omns' post for the formatting which will make your post easiest to read. Even if there seems to be no solution, and your issue is shared by others, by all means post it here so people don't waste their time trying to fix it.

@tshann: hibernate always seems to be difficult. It doesn't work for me either, but it's all tied up with hardware as well as the OS. Why not start a thread on the subject? smile

@mods: if I've got the wrong take on what this thread is for by all means jump in and correct!

John
--------------------
#! forum moderator

#18 2010-10-01 19:21:10

pvsage
Internal Affairs

You are correct, Sir!  Perhaps the thread should be retitled "Alpha 2 Known Issues & Workarounds/Solutions (only solved issues)"?

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#19 2010-10-02 23:02:08

boromeus
#! Junkie

Conky fails to start after login
Problem - Sometimes (maybe every two or three times from ten sessions) Conky doesn't appear on the desktop.
Fix - Manually restart Conky every time when it happens (Settings --> Conky Config --> Restart Conky). However, this is only a symptomatic treatment. To get rid of it, possible solution could be to edit ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh and set more delay for Conky. (I changed it from 3 seconds to 5 seconds and now the problem occurs much less frequently.)

#20 2010-10-03 00:26:47

nolatux
#! Member

@johnraff - so if we post a bug here on this thread and someone replies with a workaround should we be rude and not respond to them? Or should we tell them to post their fix in a different thread?

#21 2010-10-03 01:00:09

pvsage
Internal Affairs

It would be best to politely ask that the question be reposted in a separate thread.  If a workaround is found, the OP can edit the post in this thread to include the workaround.

It may be more polite to PM the person posting a question about an issue in this thread...

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#22 2010-10-05 03:09:24

AbtZ

Excessive hard drive Load_Cycle_Count increase
Problem - Hard disk spins down and then back up again several times per minute, even when on AC-power. If the smartmontools package is installed, it can be checked with

sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Load_Cycle

Fix - Here and here. Basically just do

sudo apt-get install laptop-mode-tools

#23 2010-10-05 15:15:20

SPOSpartan104

XFCE Crashes due to theme 'Wildbush'
Not sure exactly what caused it but

Problem going through theme list causes XFCE to crash and return to GDM when Wildbush is selected. All further login attempts get kicked to GDM

Workaround Go to terminal session navigate to ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/
edit xfwm4.xml (any editor should work)
change <property name="theme" type="string" value="Wildbush" />
to a different theme like : <property name="theme" type="string" value="Gorilla" />

Save and Login

#24 2010-10-06 01:41:44

tonyoptical
#! CrunchBanger

@AbtZ

AbtZ wrote:

Excessive hard drive Load_Cycle_Count increase
Problem - Hard disk spins down and then back up again several times per minute, even when on AC-power. If the smartmontools package is installed, it can be checked with

sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Load_Cycle

Fix - Here and here. Basically just do

sudo apt-get install laptop-mode-tools

Panic-Mode ON
I installed the laptop-mode-tools right away. Actually there is NO file "acpi-support" in /etc/default.
I have created one - but sudo "smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Load_Cycle" still shows "0" for not enabled - even after reboot.
May you pls. post your setup to avoid these hard disk spin downs when on AC and a useful, eg. not harmful  setting when on battery?
Panic-Mode OFF

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2010-10-06 19:01:12

nolatux
#! Member

SPOSpartan104 wrote:

XFCE Crashes due to theme 'Wildbush'
Not sure exactly what caused it but

Problem going through theme list causes XFCE to crash and return to GDM when Wildbush is selected. All further login attempts get kicked to GDM

Workaround Go to terminal session navigate to ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/
edit xfwm4.xml (any editor should work)
change <property name="theme" type="string" value="Wildbush" />
to a different theme like : <property name="theme" type="string" value="Gorilla" />

Save and Login

I can confirm this as it has happened to me as well, and I removed the Wildbush theme from my system.

Last edited by nolatux (2010-10-06 19:19:34)

Board footer