SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#351 2010-07-24 17:48:41

gareim
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Distro-hoppers Anonymous

CrunchyFree wrote:

Actually all the *buntus as a whole suck. I tried Xubuntu and such and they all sucked. It's not just the bloatedness but if I wanted to install a new theme instead of opening folders as root I'd have to go su *command* or if I had a fresh install and wanted to remove and install a bunch of programs by logging into root in terminal (su *password*) then installing everything (aptitude install swiftfox; aptitude install banshee) I'd have to go su apt-get install swiftfox; su apt-get install banshee which sucked.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you install multiple apps at once by doing "sudo apt-get (or aptitude) install swiftfox banshee otherapp1 otherapp2"?

Be excellent to each other!

#352 2010-07-24 18:02:42

CrunchyFree
#! Junkie

gareim wrote:
CrunchyFree wrote:

Actually all the *buntus as a whole suck. I tried Xubuntu and such and they all sucked. It's not just the bloatedness but if I wanted to install a new theme instead of opening folders as root I'd have to go su *command* or if I had a fresh install and wanted to remove and install a bunch of programs by logging into root in terminal (su *password*) then installing everything (aptitude install swiftfox; aptitude install banshee) I'd have to go su apt-get install swiftfox; su apt-get install banshee which sucked.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you install multiple apps at once by doing "sudo apt-get (or aptitude) install swiftfox banshee otherapp1 otherapp2"?

I'm not very terminal savvy >.>

XFCE User ~ Linux Abuser ~ Rubbish Refuser
[img]http://achievements.schrankmonster.de/Achievement.aspx?text=First%20Tiling%20WM%20-%2050G[/img]

#353 2010-07-24 18:20:28

aaro
#! Die Hard

CrunchyFree wrote:

Telling that something you don't like "sucks" is offensive for anyone using and liking that something. You can tell you don't like it because of this or that and it is your opinion and is respectable always you understand and respect that some may not agree with you. And remember Crunchbang born as an Ubuntu based distro, that recently changed its base to Debian. So if you install the current stable release of Crunchbang, you are using Ubuntu.

- closed account - gone to better places -

#354 2010-07-24 18:27:06

gareim
#! CrunchBanger

CrunchyFree wrote:

I'm not very terminal savvy >.>

Hey, that's cool. Linux is all about the learning experience. smile I personally prefer #! over anything else (although Arch is tempting sometimes), but I will always recommend Ubuntu or Mint to new guys because of the ease. Each distro has its place in the world.

#355 2010-07-24 18:59:47

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

@crunchyfree, wow you are pretty serious about not liking ubuntu.  That's kewl dude.  You're entitled to your opinion for sure.  #! won back my heart to ubuntu.  Since Statler I started rolling my own lucid #! setup.  github.com/rstrcogburn if you wanna check it out.

no doubt debian is less bloated than ubu, mainly because it doens't have all the recommends on packages.  This is because it's a lil less DE centric and more of a base for whatever u need.  I think of Debian like Arch or Gentoo or somethin.

Em, speaking of speaking foreign languages.  haha.  I'm a corn fed white boy from the south and I speak English, Spanish, and Japanese.  So I assume you could possibly speak anything.  There are lots of Cambodian speakers here in Oklahoma and Texas.

Last edited by rstrcogburn (2010-07-24 19:00:21)

That hawk just kept flying! -Ben Lilly

#356 2010-07-24 19:54:49

CrunchyFree
#! Junkie

rstrcogburn wrote:

@crunchyfree, wow you are pretty serious about not liking ubuntu.  That's kewl dude.  You're entitled to your opinion for sure.  #! won back my heart to ubuntu.  Since Statler I started rolling my own lucid #! setup.  github.com/rstrcogburn if you wanna check it out.

You're aware that Statler is based on Lenny Squeeze not Lucid right? Just figured I'd say that since you're saying you have a Lucid set-up on a Debian-based system that warmed your heart to Ubuntu. That is unless you're talking about prior versions of course.

[img]http://achievements.schrankmonster.de/Achievement.aspx?text=First%20Tiling%20WM%20-%2050G[/img]

#357 2010-07-24 19:58:14

anonymous
The Mystery Member

@CrunchyFree - you mean Debian Squeeze. Lenny is the current Stable branch.

#358 2010-08-01 03:50:45

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

CrunchyFree wrote:
rstrcogburn wrote:

You're aware that Statler is based on Lenny Squeeze not Lucid right? Just figured I'd say that since you're saying you have a Lucid set-up on a Debian-based system that warmed your heart to Ubuntu. That is unless you're talking about prior versions of course.

I *think* what rstrcogburn is saying is that he liked Crunchbang with the Ubuntu base- so when the shift to the Debian base happened with Statler, he rolled his own, based on Ubuntu 10.4.

#! forum moderator

#359 2010-08-01 04:39:43

CrunchyFree
#! Junkie

chillicampari wrote:
CrunchyFree wrote:
rstrcogburn wrote:

I *think* what rstrcogburn is saying is that he liked Crunchbang with the Ubuntu base- so when the shift to the Debian base happened with Statler, he rolled his own, based on Ubuntu 10.4.

Ah, so that's what he meant. To be honest I don't like Crunchbang but the forum here is killer so I stay anyway.

#360 2010-08-01 16:15:35

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

WoW!! I just went back a couple of pages here and to say was a confusing thing to read.  Not confusing in the sense that I don't know what was happening, but more because I don't understand the why of it.  I'm only going to mention one name here: rstrcogburn - couldn't agree with ya more.

There is a LOT of talk about Ubuntu's bloat, and for that reason more than one distro is switching to Debian (so I have heard).  But I'm seeing something akin to a flame war over Ubuntu.  Considering that "most of us new to Linux" (say within the past 5 years) came from Windows to Linux via Ubuntu, and then Xubuntu, I certainly don't agree that Ubuntu "sucks".  I may not agree with the direction they are going, I don't like the built in bloat, but that is my opinion.  One doesn't need to upgrade every 6 months, I believe that the different versions are supported for 12 to 18 months at least.

I, however, went distro hopping and ended up moving from Xubuntu to #! 9.04.01, based on Ubuntu, but with none of the "Ubuntu bloat" thanks to corenominal.

Now I see rstrcogburn has a #! Lucid that he, "rolled his-self" and I'll venture a bet it has done away with the bloat too as I see that he's callin' it:

The cogburn Ubuntu minimal desktop environment

--- power to ya Rooster!

Also check around, there are a few #!'s out there: 9.04.01, Statler (the originals), rstrcogburn' Lucid and ArchBang to name a few.

We should not loose sight of what Linux is about:  Freedom - freedom of choice.  Unlike that other OS!  Now if you want to flame someth ... naaa ... it's better not said.  It served me well, even though I would have preferred staying with DOS and never did like "it".

I will always be thankful for Ubuntu, it saved my bacon and ran on a hard drive that W2K reported as dead for another two years before being retired for a SATA drive.

And now somrthing for the "Distro Hopper" in all of us - like it or not!

tNTQzNQ
and for those that want it:
tNTQzNg

Have fun.

#! Conky = 13 Threads & the Conky Archives | Conky PitStop | OHCG'er
#! Forum Moderator   |   StartPage -  protect your privacy   |   BBQ Linux

#361 2010-08-01 19:29:21

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

^ Ah dude, that wallpaper is mind blowing.  It's like hopscotch, the kid's game right?  gonna use it for my August 2010 screen post.

#362 2010-08-01 20:13:16

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

rstrcogburn wrote:

^ Ah dude, that wallpaper is mind blowing.  It's like hopscotch, the kid's game right?  gonna use it for my August 2010 screen post.

Did a Google: hopscotch = images --- a few mods later and DistroHopscotch, the Linux Game.  big_smile

Looking forward to seeing your Aug screenie!

#363 2010-08-01 21:28:11

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

here you go homie.

a few google image search mods of course.  using some custom gimp brushes, and magic skip some sort of cosplay from a manga.

Last edited by rstrcogburn (2010-08-01 21:32:52)

#364 2010-08-01 22:10:51

DixieDancer
#! Junkie
Website

Ubuntu was my first Linux too (8.10, a few days before 9.04 came out - great timing, huh?), and it was very liberating! But I was kinda confused by all the new names, multiple panels that seemed to do the same thing. I'll always be grateful for that introduction, but it seems like the 'buntus are taking a direction I don't really want to go anymore. I absolutely adored Xubuntu 9.10 (PulseAudio free, lean and mean on my old Dell), but 10.04 won't even boot now after updates, and for some unfathomable reason, they've put that abominable PulseAudio in Xubuntu now.

But before Xubuntu I played with LXDE and Openbox (Crunchbang 9.04 - awesomeness!!), looking for a kid-friendly but super-fast OS to put on a shared computer (at a dance studio... we dancers are about as non-geeky as it gets). For awhile LXDE on top of Crunchbang worked, until Ubuntu updates killed the sound (vital for a dancer to have sound!) and messed up the whole shut-down routine.

I distro-hopped just for fun until now. But with even my once beloved Xubuntu so closely copying Ubuntu and taking the same direction, and now refusing to boot anymore, I hopped out of necessity. It still has to be kid-friendly and "dancer-friendly" (read: artistic, technically challenged). I've got PCLinuxOS's Xfce edition on it now, because I think I want rolling release to go along with the speed and simplicity of Xfce, my favorite desktop (it took me a year to find and choose a favorite, lol). So far it completely rocks, with no surprises like the ones that sneaked into Xubuntu Lucid. All the hardware works right out of the box, the interface is sweet, simple enough even for a little Dixiedancer, and it's plenty fast on the old dinosaur. Fantastic implementation of Xfce, very little of the extra stuff I don't use.

Maybe I'm all through hopping for awhile, I hope. Especially if this rolling release thing works out the way I've heard (and Bleachbit to keep it tidy over time, hopefully).

I still would never consider going back to Windows.

-Robin

#365 2010-08-01 23:20:13

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

rstrcogburn wrote:

here you go homie.

a few google image search mods of course.  using some custom gimp brushes, and magic skip some sort of cosplay from a manga.

Mighty fine stuff there partner!  Lookin good wit' them changes.

#366 2010-08-02 02:10:49

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

Sector11 wrote:

Also check around, there are a few #!'s out there: 9.04.01, Statler (the originals), rstrcogburn' Lucid and ArchBang to name a few.

Just a brief FYI note:

Originally, Archbang was a new Linux OS distribution using Arch/Linux and the #!Crunchbang concept of using Openbox WM, tint2 panel  and the Conky system monitor.
Or an Arch Linux distribution based on Crunchbang ... or was that a Crunchbang distribution based on Arch instead of Ubuntu/Debian.

I belong to the Archbang Forums ... and the Archbang Dev Team has decided to steer away from a 'stand-alone' Openbox with tint2 and have changed the Archbang OS to use LXDE.

Judging from the response in the Archbang Forums . . . the "natives are restless"  The change to LXDE didn't go over too well with the members.
Apparently, most members first started using Archbang because it was #! with an Arch-base.

If the Distro-hopping bug has bitten you again ... and you're having an "itch" to see what Arch and LXDE is all about.  You might give Archbang a whirl.

Last edited by vrkalak (2010-08-02 02:14:34)

Registered Linux User: #497030
DeviantART pageAsk.Debian
#!Crunchbang 'Waldorf' (Openbox) -- Mint-Debian Fluxbox Edition

#367 2010-08-02 03:22:39

CrunchyFree
#! Junkie

I can't use anything with a *box in it. LXDE is included. I've mentioned this before, for some reason Openbox and LXDE don't agree with my graphics chip. I'll stick with Xfce.

On a semi-related note I tried to install Mint 9 Xfce RC and for some reason the bootloader couldn't be installed.

#368 2010-08-02 19:51:09

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

vrkalak wrote:

If the Distro-hopping bug has bitten you again ... and you're having an "itch" to see what Arch and LXDE is all about.  You might give Archbang a whirl.

I have an account at the Arch forums, I had it installed once with XFCE and dropped it there because I have one computer and didn't want to mess anything up - especially my wife's things, if you get my drift.
I was really looking forward to ArchBanh but when #! went Debian I lost interest and can't remember my password and my cookie is gone.  big_smile

See, I'd be like the some of the other natives there: disappointed - I was so looking forward to Arch with a "CrunchBang" idea - running OpenBox. I see that one person said it would be east to drop LXDE and add tint2 so it might be a viable thing anyway.

One good thing I see in this is that ARCH has a LiveCD and installer now; ArchBang - it's a way to try ARCH for dummies like me that finally had XFCE in ARCH after three days of RTM and struggling ...  big_smile

Now if my doorbell rang and someone said: "Hi, I'm ArchInstaller here to install Arch the way you like it!" He'd find himself sitting at my computer so fast he's have no recollection of even entering.  lol

Now with that said - I am 110% satisfied with Statler and have NO intention of moving away from #!.  The most I see me doing is looking at LiveCD's - not even VM.

#369 2010-08-02 20:48:42

CrunchyFree
#! Junkie

I've thought about PC-BSD but it's KDE and I only do Xfce. Anyone know a BSD with a good installer that comes with Xfce?

#370 2010-08-02 22:44:41

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

well now...

i'm aboutta be trying out dragonfly again.   been meaning to for a while.
will give it a whirl in virtualbox, and regardless of how that goes, 'll give it a shot on my freshly wiped hd.

it's mainly cos of klanger's earlier post about it....  though also because... i just plainly like it... on paper at least.   it didnt want to play nice last time i tried.
we'll see if it's sorted to play nice on my hardware this time around.

i'm still keen on the witch project though.
i could have been whipping myself into sorting out the arch version... but hey, i'd rather adhere to the principle of, "do it with joy, or not at all", so i've been following my joy, my interests, and besides the blender n haskell learnings, i've been taking a look into other interesting things that could make for a nicer base distro for witch.       woof.     woof + arch.    ... or even so full of gaul as to go for a T2 archy witch... but since woof has much of the groundwork covered, and it'd provision witch with a hyperlight base that could fit in a thimble...  seems the way to go...

... n that's supposed to help me get clean?   supposed to help me quit the distro hopping?   oh well... at least my distro-hopping is more restrained and purposeful now.  smile

mmm, cant wait to see what dragonfly goes like.

i repartitioned for another multiboot, on the laptop this time.   this time planning to have all major package management systems covered.
an ubuntu/debian based partition (squishboom), an arch based partition (witch), a bsd (dragonfly, or openbsd if dfly fails), an rpm based distro (e-gad, do i have to? probably a pclinuxos based respin), and an ebuild based distro wink (ututo or sabayon most likely, mibi a papug or funtoo tho... or even exherbo!)

and i'll probably squeeze a slitaz in there too...  cos they're just handy.  smile

i still kinda feel the urge to get something kitted out with pure kde3.5 lushness, like when kde was a fully functional, massively bugless and stable, reliable, well intigrated, full featured, well matured, competent piece of pleasantry....   ... or maybe i'm just getting nostalgic, maybe i'm just losing perspective in the comparison of kde4.* to kde3.5

/ramble

~ think ~

without a shot fired
quote of the mo: ""... i realised it's simpler to make a statue to someone who you believe embodies all your better qualities, than it is to actually improve yourself" ... "so i have decided to go away. i will return when i have found a way to destroy this, while keeping the message intact"  -G'Kar

#371 2010-08-02 22:47:18

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Funny timing with that graphic. I've used a few distro's but not really a distro-hopper (I pick one and stick with it for a while). Occasionally I'll check out something in a VM but for whatever reason that doesn't feel "real" to me.

Anyway- at some point I'll be changing stuff around (it's time to retire #9.04 soon, I rarely boot into it anymore) and hop up to either Statler Alpha 2 or Beta (whichever is out when I do it) and when that's all comfy, free up a partition. I though it would be a fun idea to print this out and play something a bit different like "Pin the tail on the distro" (excluding #9.04 obviously) and that's what I would install next as a secondary.

Then I ended up in a conversation on identi.ca last night, made some cheeky remarks, was impressed with the first distro someone tried while starting out with Linux and generally got caught up in the spirit of the conversation and somehow ended up here: http://identi.ca/notice/44768816

Sector11 wrote:

tNTQzNg

The rock has landed on the Gentoo square. What have I done? yikes

Last edited by chillicampari (2010-08-02 22:53:07)

#! forum moderator

#372 2010-08-05 00:53:17

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

Enough of the 'whiny' "I'm a Distro-Hopper and I need help"  Help me. stop Distro-Hopping.  Enough is enough!!

Distro-Hoppers Unite!

As with any minority group, Distro-Hoppers might be looked down upon by the larger Linux majority. 
People who have settled in with a particular desktop distribution might look down their noses at Distro-Hoppers.

Well screw these snobs.  Just because Distro-Monogamy suits them doesn’t mean it suits the rest of us.
Our Distro-Polyamorous relationships with many different Linux Distros gives us a far broader, far more expansive point of view than these uptight Distro snobs who think that their favorite Distro is the one and only choice we should all have.   Who the hell are they to judge us?

Be out and be proud of being a Distro-Hopper!

Our vigilance and constant testing of new Distros insures a higher quality of desktop Linux experience than otherwise might have happened.
Without us -- desktop Linux as a whole, would stagnate and ultimately shrivel up and die.  Well okay, maybe not, but it sure would be a whole lot less fun.

Distro-Hoppers unite!  You have nothing to lose but the chains holding you to your last Distro!

Last edited by vrkalak (2010-08-05 00:57:03)

#373 2010-08-05 01:11:03

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

vrkalak wrote:

Enough of the 'whiny' "I'm a Distro-Hopper and I need help"  Help me. stop Distro-Hopping.  Enough is enough!!

Distro-Hoppers Unite!

As with any minority group, Distro-Hoppers might be looked down upon by the larger Linux majority. 
People who have settled in with a particular desktop distribution might look down their noses at Distro-Hoppers.

Well screw these snobs.  Just because Distro-Monogamy suits them doesn’t mean it suits the rest of us.
Our Distro-Polyamorous relationships with many different Linux Distros gives us a far broader, far more expansive point of view than these uptight Distro snobs who think that their favorite Distro is the one and only choice we should all have.   Who the hell are they to judge us?

Be out and be proud of being a Distro-Hopper!

Our vigilance and constant testing of new Distros insures a higher quality of desktop Linux experience than otherwise might have happened.
Without us -- desktop Linux as a whole, would stagnate and ultimately shrivel up and die.  Well okay, maybe not, but it sure would be a whole lot less fun.

Distro-Hoppers unite!  You have nothing to lose but the chains holding you to your last Distro!

OK, how many of those "Banana-Split Cappuccino"'s did you really have?

Banana-Split Cappuccino Linux - LiveUSB -  comes in a KDE dark chocolate, GNOME milk chocolate or a light Xfce swiss white chocolate flavour in:

tNTVlbg

#374 2010-08-05 01:47:08

jinnstar
#! CrunchBanger

I'm not sure if this is off topic for this thread, but I have an odd question. I've hopped around various Debian and/or Ubuntu based distros for a while. Recently I switched from sidux to #! Statler. After a few days, I took the plunge and switched my repos to unstable (not the #! repo of course). My question is would by system now be considered #! or simply Debian unstable (sid). Where is the fine line so to speak? smile

Toshiba NB205 | Asus Transformer Prime | Epic Touch 4g

Be excellent to each other!

#375 2010-08-05 02:36:52

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

jinnstar wrote:

Would my system now be considered #! or simply Debian unstable (sid). Where is the fine line so to speak? smile

While you do have the Debian repros pointing toward 'unstable' . . . you still have the #!Statler repros at the top of the sources.list

I would think this qualifies for #!Statler 'unstable' ... although, both #! and Sid are both considered to be quite stable, in their own right.

Board footer