SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#76 2010-06-27 15:00:39

pablokal
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Re: CrunchBang 10 "Statler" Alpha 2 Released

Alpha 2 ob 64 bits,live session; nv does a great job displaying my desktop in the right resolution 1920x 1200.
One strange error though: some letters and lines are shown on the left upper corner 0,0 to 60.40 and then some 30x40 black and then another spot 40x35.
I remember vaguely reading about this artefact before but can't find that back.
Could not find the disk-manager anonymous was talking about.
Is this not provided in te live session?

GNu/Linux: Nu nog schoner: http://linuxnogschoner.blogspot.com/  Dutch

Be excellent to each other!

#77 2010-06-27 15:32:32

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Nope, you have to install it.

#78 2010-06-27 16:18:05

secdroid
#! Member

Question: How does one discover the SSIDs of available WiFi connections?  Do I need to install something?

(I did manage to do a #! WPA connection to my own WiFi because I knew the SSID and password.)

Yes, I checked the Gnome Network Manager FAQ, #! FAQ, etc...  hmm

Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 has NetworkManager Applet 0.7.996 whcih automatically shows the SSIDs of local nets, along with signal strength.

Edit: Mea Culpa -- must left click icon.  Works fine.

Last edited by secdroid (2010-06-27 16:56:50)

#79 2010-06-27 17:54:30

secdroid
#! Member

Install issue: Booted Live USB stick created with #! wiki instructions (not UNETBOOTIN).  Stick successful boots on desktop and netbook.

Ran #! boot menu "Text Install" on netbook and it failed at "Detect and mount CD-ROM" step. 

Fixed by actions in "[]" after each of the following prompts.

Prompt: "Load CD-ROM drivers from removable media?"  [No]

Prompt: "Manually select a CD-ROM module and device?" [Yes]

Prompt: "Module needed for accessing the CD-ROM:" [none]

Prompt "Device file for accessing the CD-ROM:" [changed "/dev/cdrom" to "/dev/sdb" so installer finds my boot USB stick] [Enter]

.. and the installer gets the files it needs and advances to the "hostname" install step.  Works fine from there.

Hope this helps someone else.

Note: Also found failure of GRUB2 install.  The "Configuring grub-pc" step detected my Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix partition.  It indicated that updating the MBR would have stanzas for both #!! and UNR.  Only got stanzas for #!, none for UNR.  Repeated whole install to ensure it wasn't user error.  Got same result.  Will have to mount UNR partition, copy stanzas from UNR grub.cfg to #! grub /etc/grub.d/40_custom and update again.

Edit: After copying UNR boot stanzas from UNR /boot/grub/grub.cfg to the bottom of #! /etc/grub.d/40_custom, I ran the command
"sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg" and I have a working UNR 9.10 #! Statler Alpha2 dual-boot netbook

Edit: Should mention the GRUB2 problem is a Debian Squeeze problem.  Same thing happened with my dual-boot desktop Squeeze install a few months ago.  I'm still not convinced that GRUB2 is stable enough for "prime time," but it is already being inflicted on a lot of users who may not be ready to debug it.

Install seems OK otherwise.

Last edited by secdroid (2010-06-27 21:11:36)

#80 2010-06-27 20:15:54

anonymous
The Mystery Member

My comments and questions (mostly aesthetics):

• For a default font, I think sans is preferable to mono. Monospace is nice for terminals, coding, and conkys but otherwise hmm

• When viewing a tree, the arrows are near invisible unless you select the row (Only applies to the Shiki-Statler Dark theme)
    vNHJucg

• The borders (especially the bottom one) for the Openbox themes seems way too thick

• What is the difference between the two Openbox Statler themes?

• May you tell me how to remove the gradient from the Openbox titlebars for your Statler themes?

• Are you using the latest Elementary icons (2.4)? The name for the terminal icon is capitalized in Statler, but downloading a fresh copy the icon has the proper lowercase name.

#81 2010-06-27 20:44:04

Tunafish
#! Die Hard

Installed Statler Alpha 2 today.... seems to run nice...

I installed from USB (unetbootin)... when i try to sudo update-grub i get some errors:

error: cannot open '/dev/sbd/' while attempting to get disk size

For everything else (as far as i experienced today):
Great work, Corenominal (and others)!

Last edited by Tunafish (2010-06-27 20:46:51)

sed 's/stress/relaxation/g'
Privacy & Security on #!

#82 2010-06-27 20:48:40

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

anonymous wrote:

May you tell me how to remove the gradient from the Openbox titlebars for your Statler themes?

@anon
I'm currently on Alpha 1, looking at the Shiki-Statler theme I got from the repos (not sure if it's the exact same one as in Alpha 2)...
To remove the gradient from the titlebars,
Open the themerc inside the openbox3 folder in a text editor;
Look under "!! focused window settings"
line 26: window.active.title.bg: flat gradient vertical bevel1
change "flat gradient vertical bevel1" to "Flat"
Then remove  line 28 (the one with "colorTo") since there's no longer a gradient.
Then do the same for the inactive windows (line 48) and remove the colorTo (line 50) string as well.
You can do the same for the handles "window.active/inactive.handle.bg:" and active menu selections "menu.items.active.bg" if you desire.

Hope I was clear enough.

Cheers smile

Last edited by gutterslob (2010-06-27 21:08:15)

Point & Squirt

#83 2010-06-27 20:59:59

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

Tunafish wrote:

Installed Statler Alpha 2 today.... seems to run nice...

I installed from USB (unetbootin)... when i try to sudo update-grub i get some errors:

error: cannot open '/dev/sbd/' while attempting to get disk size

For everything else (as far as i experienced today):
Great work, Corenominal (and others)!

I actually encountered the same issue when I did a USB install on my netbook earlier today.
It seemed to think the repos were in the CD (my netbook doesn't even have an optical drive) I corrected it by changing the sources in etc/apt/sources.list to the ones I had in Alpha1: Statler and Squeeze sources), but then I realized that the system thought all my external USB thumbdrives were dev/sdb (instead of the usual dev/sdf) and refused to mount them. I didn't bother remedying the problem and just did a reinstall.

Did you choose "Default" at the Unetbootin screen? I think that option basically installs a Live-Session onto your hard drive... or something like that O_o?

I installed a second time by selecting "Text" (or it might have been "Text Install") and it worked out fine (the appropriate sources were all there, it ran the post-install script properly, and USB mounting worked fine as well)

Last edited by gutterslob (2010-06-27 21:10:43)

Point & Squirt

#84 2010-06-27 21:08:09

secdroid
#! Member

gutterslob wrote:

I actually encountered the same issue when I did a USB install on my netbook earlier today.
It seemed to think the repos were in the CD (my netbook doesn't even have an optical drive)

Same issue, handled differently, in post #79 above.

#85 2010-06-27 21:09:31

Sailorxyz
Website

Hi,

Could someone please tell me which version of virtualbox to download from the virtualbox site for use with Crunch# Statler? I am talking about the standard edition, not the community version. Will the version for Lenny work or should I use the Ubuntu Lucid deb? There is no Squeeze version yet.

Thanks in advance.

#86 2010-06-27 21:18:13

omns
#! wanderer

Sailorxyz wrote:

There is no Squeeze version yet..

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose

smile

#87 2010-06-27 21:28:46

anonymous
The Mystery Member

@corenominal - for some reason the default keymap is being set to GB:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … pha-2-bug/

#88 2010-06-27 23:22:00

corenominal
WRONG
Website

anonymous wrote:

@corenominal - for some reason the default keymap is being set to GB:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … pha-2-bug/

It seems that the choice of keyboard layout chosen during the installation is not sticking. I will need to look into this. hmm

#89 2010-06-27 23:29:02

secdroid
#! Member

corenominal wrote:

It seems that the choice of keyboard layout chosen during the installation is not sticking. I will need to look into this. hmm

Didn't stick for me, either.  After checking the wiki, I modified /etc/default/keyboard.  This is probably not optimal, as I noticed a message about it on boot, but it worked and I ignored the message.

#90 2010-06-27 23:54:06

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

secdroid wrote:
corenominal wrote:

Didn't stick for me, either.  After checking the wiki, I modified /etc/default/keyboard.  This is probably not optimal, as I noticed a message about it on boot, but it worked and I ignored the message.

Me either ... I to modified /etc/default/keyboard.  A minor glitch for a great OS!

Cudos corenominal

To #! or not to #!?  That is the question! | #! Forum Moderator
#! Conky = 16 Threads & the Conky Archives | Conky PitStop | OTHCG'er
StartPage -  protect your privacy   |   LinuxBBQ

#91 2010-06-28 00:25:25

Sailorxyz
Website

omns wrote:
Sailorxyz wrote:

smile

Sorry, that is the so called community edition I want the standard one.

Thanks for the effort.

#92 2010-06-28 00:41:00

gnomic

Just on the keyboard issue, I have a vague recollection that during discussion of the GB setting on boot perhaps a couple of years back, someone suggested that an option be included to allow setting the keyboard language setting desired during live CD boot. My vague recollections also are that it was thought code from the Mandriva boot process might be able to be employed without great difficulty. However I can't find any proof that I am not making this up :-[ after a quick search of the forums so it may be a senior moment. Personally I find on booting #! on a ThinkPad that I am taken aback when there is no @ initially. setxkbmap us helps there.

#93 2010-06-28 01:06:44

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

My plan was to install Alpha 2 twice.  This was written yesterday before I installed Statler Alpha 2

============
What I have that exists today is this:

dev/sda1 - root - #! v904
dev/sda2 - root - #! v10 - OpenBox
dev/sda3 - /swap
dev/sda4 - extended
dev/sda5 - /media/5 - personal use 
dev/sda6 - /media/6 - personal use
dev/sda7 - /home - #! v904
dev/sda8 - /home - #! -v10

Everything on sda5, 6 & 8 will be backed up onto USB media, and a DVD (or 2) at which point I will make my system like this...

dev/sda1 - root - #! v10 - OpenBox
dev/sda2 - root - #! v10 - Xfce
dev/sda3 - /swap
dev/sda4 - extended
dev/sda5 - /home - #! -v10 - OB
dev/sda6 - /home - #! -v10 - Xfce
dev/sda7 - /media/7 - personal use
dev/sda8 - /media/8 - personal use

With changes in sizes of various partitions.  Since I want the OpenBox to be the default startup I will install that last.

I will be using #! Xfce to set up the partitions:

dev/sda1 - /media/1_R_OB - format
dev/sda2 - root - format
dev/sda3 - /swap - format
dev/sda4 - extended
dev/sda5 - /media/5_H_OB - format
dev/sda6 - /home - format
dev/sda7 - /media/7 - personal use - format
dev/sda8 - /media/8 - personal use - format

I will need to format all partitions in order for Xfce to see and mount them.

Now for #! OpenBox:

dev/sda1 - /root - format
dev/sda2 - /media/2_R_Xfce - unformatted
dev/sda3 - /swap - format
dev/sda4 - extended
dev/sda5 - /home - format
dev/sda6 - /media/6_H_Xfce - unformatted
dev/sda7 - /media/7 - personal use - unformat
dev/sda8 - /media/8 - personal use - unformat

And as you see both Xfce and OB will be able to access the entire drive.

Now I put my Alpha-1 config files onto /media/7 under /Alpha_1 and I can grab the config files and personal files as I need them. Also my personal files and directories will also go on /media/7 (DOC files, images, wallpapers et al) then it is a simple matter of changing things like "gedit /media/6/Documents/Jokes"  to  "gedit /media/7/Documents/Jokes"

Both /home partitions will be made smaller than the 60GB they now have (904 uses 4.21GB and 10 uses 3.33GB) probably bring them down to 25GB each increasing sda7 and 8 by 35GB each for my personal use (+/- 75GB each).

The Xfce install may tell me there is something wrong when I try it after installing OpenBox IF Debian uses the UUIDs like Ubuntu.  But that is an easy fix, by grabbing the UUID from gparted and then making sure /etc/fstab matches what gparted says it is.

tNHJnbQ

Busy day tomorrow.
Good night all.

EDIT: I might add that #! 904 has not been needed for information or files since installing Alpha 1, I consider it now defunct.  Defunct here that is.
============

However that is not how it turned out.  I made a mistake again, not uncommon for me, and installed as described above with one minor error. I did not tell the second install (OpenBox) to boot from the second root partition to get a dual boot going.

So in the end I wiped everything a second time and installed #! Statler OpenBox alone but allowed the "cb-welcome" script, brilliant idea that, to add Xfce as well as the printer and a few other things. I still have 3 partitions for my personal use.

Other than the keyboard problem it went as smooth as silk  big_smile

I am impressed by the simplicity and speed of the install and how great #! Statler really is.

Oh, one other thing, I tried UNetbootin and it didn't work, but it is the first time I have ever tried that so I probably made a mistake with that as well.

To #! or not to #!?  That is the question! | #! Forum Moderator
#! Conky = 16 Threads & the Conky Archives | Conky PitStop | OTHCG'er
StartPage -  protect your privacy   |   LinuxBBQ

#94 2010-06-28 01:10:31

wuy
#! Member

Sailorxyz wrote:
omns wrote:
Sailorxyz wrote:

smile

Thanks for the effort.

"Lenny" is for all versions of Debian.

#95 2010-06-28 03:02:46

era506

Hi! this is my first post! I'm new to #! and have to say it's great!! I've been using Debian/Ubuntu for several years now but I still consider myself a newbie in the linux world big_smile Specially when it comes to something not Gnome-ish as I've only used Gnome so far but I'm loving #! xfce flavor! Thanks to the #! team for this excellent alpha!

BTW, flash wasn't working for me at all, not in Iceweasel, Chrome or Opera (which is my default browser). I'm using #! 10a2 xfce amd64. After following the steps listed here I got flash up and running... maybe that fix can be included in next alpha?

#96 2010-06-28 04:19:43

Sailorxyz
Website

wuy wrote:
Sailorxyz wrote:
omns wrote:

smile

Thanks for the effort.

"Lenny" is for all versions of Debian.

Thanks wuy. Downloaded and installed the Lenny version. It has worked fine.

Last edited by Sailorxyz (2010-06-28 04:20:31)

#97 2010-06-28 08:56:50

inkyfingers
#! CrunchBanger

It is hard to comment without hyperbole.
The install was simplicity although I had to update grub.
The cb-welcome script was ... , well I ran it a couple of extra times just because it made me feel good. smile
I really like the opportunity to switch to Xfce.
Not having a bunch of different keyboards around, I like to configure keyboard at install. Gcompris uses Shift+Shift, and so far in alpha 1 I had not been able to liberate that shortcut from the keyboard switcher. Now I have no worries.
Having said that, I like the keyboard switcher and to demonstrate it on live cd is A+.
Statler is all I could ever want from an OS.
@ Corenominal thank you.

#98 2010-06-28 09:48:34

Andreas
#! Junkie

cool! I'll try that, but now I'm on 9.04 for a while, I will be installing 10a2 on my thinkpad. hopefully the pentabletscreen will work roll

btw, will there be a lite edition and a normal edition?

Last edited by Andreas (2010-06-28 10:11:18)

Meh. Interested for a Dropbox alternative? Go to https://launchpad.net/tart

#99 2010-06-28 12:54:42

lv_
Website

Can report here the upgrade works

also running liqorix kernel
Linux jjc 2.6.34-0.dmz.8-liquorix-686 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon May 31 09:10:12 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Be excellent to each other!

#100 2010-06-28 13:02:38

GuruX
#! Die Hard

My install of Statler A2 wasn't flawless. For some reason, my username wasn't added to the sudoers file. A Su terminal an visudo solved that. The repos wasn't there either. The cd repo was the only one in place. I manually added some repos, but I don't have the CB repos. What does your statler A2 repos look like?

Board footer