SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-21 18:09:10

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Introducing the CrunchBangers Launchpad Team

EDIT 14th June 2011: The Launchpad team is no more. Please feel free to ignore this thread.

In an effort to open up the development of CrunchBang, I have created a new project on Launchpad. The project is to be driven by the CrunchBangers team. CrunchBangers is an open team and anyone with an interest in the future development of the distribution is welcome to join. I have currently set the introduction to read as:

CrunchBangers are a team of extraordinary folk who work on producing CrunchBang Linux, an unofficial Ubuntu distribution featuring the lightweight Openbox window manager and GTK+ applications. CrunchBangers are dedicated to pushing out the best all-round Openbox system possible.

Find out more about us at:

Home page: http://crunchbanglinux.org/
Blog: http://crunchbanglinux.org/blog/
Wiki: http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/
Forums: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/

This is the team for users and developers who care about CrunchBang Linux.

Creating a project account on Launchpad is something I have been meaning to do for sometime. Hopefully the tools made available by Launchpad will enable this project to step-up to the next level. I will try to publish/integrate more information about the various Launchpad services over the coming days/weeks. Meanwhile, if working to help shape the future of this distribution is something of interest to you, please feel free to join the team and become a CrunchBanger!

Last edited by corenominal (2011-06-14 08:47:58)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2009-01-21 18:16:04

sewmyheadon
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Re: Introducing the CrunchBangers Launchpad Team

I've joined, Philip.  I'm not much of a developer, but I'd be happy to test, give feedback, help out when I can, and work on user experience issues.

#3 2009-01-21 18:19:00

ZeroTruths
#! Junkie

Joined.
I'd like to see where this goes smile

All in an effort to learn...
Delves deeper into code...

#4 2009-01-21 18:49:40

NWAdawg
Bob Da Dawg!
Website

I've been a member on launchpad for some time, I've added my name to the team. I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

-Bob- 
Ubuntu User #24005, Linux User #480025
identi.ca  friendfeed  facebook

#5 2009-01-21 19:10:39

omns
#! wanderer

And so the CrunchBangers coalesced to form an indomitable launchpad team smile

#6 2009-01-21 22:51:41

flsantos

Joined!

Linux user #433931

#7 2009-01-22 00:36:33

sewmyheadon
#! CrunchBanger
Website

corenominal wrote:

I will try to publish/integrate more information about the various Launchpad services over the coming days/weeks.

Big job!  I think it's an exciting step in the right direction - especially as the community grows and more bugs, questions, and fixes are posted. 

It'll be interesting to see how exactly #! will utilize LaunchPad; will it be just code, or will you also make use of the bugs, answers, blueprints, etc?  I'd imagine that constructing and implementing a system to streamline how you handle forum questions and also bugs and answers on LaunchPad could cause a few growing pains.

I like how the Ubuntu project uses LP, but truthfully, I'm not sure all of the bugs reported in the forums make it to LaunchPad, nor are all of the fixes in LaunchPad communicated back to the forum.  Those who know better check both places, but newcomers still can be left confused.  There are also a lot of bugs that just seem to go stale, with little follow-up.

Of course Ubuntu's a monster of a project now, but while the #! community is still a relatively manageable size, it would be great to hammer this out and make it very clear to all.  Could be something you wish to discuss on the new CrunchBangers list.

Please let me know what I can do to help in the transition. smile

#8 2009-01-22 00:46:25

dannytatom
#! CrunchBanger

Joined, and I'm also curious about everything sew just mentioned.

.files
dnyy in IRC & Urban Terror

#9 2009-01-22 01:05:56

papparonny
#! Junkie

just joined too smile  ..looking forward to being a part of this great distro and community! big_smile

#10 2009-01-22 08:14:01

Scrat
#! CrunchBanger

I've joined too big_smile

It's the perfect place to hunt down bugs and get things translated !

Good move Phillip ! smile

/Niels
Registered Linux user #133791 > Get counted at http://counter.li.org
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
So Many Things To Do, And No Time For Nuts !

#11 2009-01-22 09:04:00

Nik_Doof
#! Junkie
Website

I like the idea of a LP team, but I don't see the point of it being open admission. After all, the team will just fill with a mass of people who want it as a badge on their account, but wont actually contribute anything to the project. maybe the #!ers would be good as a generic "users" group.

I think the bit thats confused me the most, is that the #!ers are the driver for the #! project, this could be chaotic when people dont agree what release stuff will go in and just change it how they see fit.

#12 2009-01-22 10:42:02

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Nik_Doof wrote:

I like the idea of a LP team, but I don't see the point of it being open admission. After all, the team will just fill with a mass of people who want it as a badge on their account, but wont actually contribute anything to the project. maybe the #!ers would be good as a generic "users" group.

Point taken and understood. Open admission is now changed to restricted until further notice. Restricted means all applications have to be approved by an administrator. I believe everyone that has joined to date has a genuine interest in the future direction of CrunchBang. Nik_Doof, I would like to set you as an administrator, that is if you are planning on joining? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding the decision to start with an open admission, I simply did not want the team to appear as elitist. I did not consider the "grab a badge" brigade, apologies for my naivety on this. roll

I think the bit thats confused me the most, is that the #!ers are the driver for the #! project, this could be chaotic when people dont agree what release stuff will go in and just change it how they see fit.

Although I have had my Launchpad account for a while, I am by no means an expert with how the accounts should be set-up. This is something I am more than eager to get advice on. Nothing is set in stone, please consider registering with the team and we can adjust if needed. smile

#13 2009-01-22 10:50:48

dannytatom
#! CrunchBanger

As for people changing things as they see fit, I think that as long as the application process involves approval, the chance of someone doing that is a lot less likely.  And, if they do, it'll be a lot less trouble to get things back in order.

Then again, I don't have much experience with Launchpad, so I don't know the "right" route that should be taken.

.files
dnyy in IRC & Urban Terror

#14 2009-01-22 11:23:27

Nik_Doof
#! Junkie
Website

I'm no expert on LP, but i've seen how other projects work, Mainly LottaNZB.

It's not really a case of closed = elitist, just that people like to have a little more control on the membership. I think in this example having a closed group isn't really a hindrence, as people are still free to join, but it just makes people think a bit more about commitment before they join. As long as you mention in the description it is "open" in the sense that anyone who contributes would be welcome to join.

#15 2009-01-22 13:34:46

kestrel
Species: F. sparverius
Website

How are we proposing using the LP team? Coding, testing, packaging, artwork, documentation, bug tracking? All of the above? Something else completely? Each person will bring a bit of different expertise.

I've had to look closely at my intentions around joining as I have joined a team or two in the past then not really contributed very much. This community feels a bit different right now. I've found an environment that is working for me. Not perfect but nice.

To declare my intentions, I can help with testing, documentation and bug killing. I have a great interest in learning packaging skills. I am a skilled photographer.

My web activities: Etsy Shop | Facebook | Blog

#16 2009-01-22 14:15:32

michaelramm
The Inquisitor
Website

I forgot to post that I had joined as well.

I am NOT a programmer, but I am more than will to help with bugs and documentation.

The hard thing will be to determine if a bug is #! or ubuntu related, at least for me since I am not that well versed in the inner workings of the linux kernel and such.

As I have stated before and to Philip, my sole intention is making Crunchbang one of the best distros on the planet.

Michael

The 1-Man IT Department | Ubuntu User #16666 | Linux User #451972
My Social Nets: Identi.ca | twitter | friendfeed
Crunchbangin' and Loving Every Minute of IT!

#17 2009-01-23 00:38:08

nate

michaelramm wrote:

The hard thing will be to determine if a bug is #! or ubuntu related,

I'd imagine that if it is a bug in ubuntu then it cascades down to a bug in #!, which if fixed by the crunchbangers team could be rolled up to ubuntu. 

I would like to help as well and will join the launchpad team when I get a chance.

Nate

Last edited by nate (2009-01-23 00:39:10)

#18 2009-01-23 13:42:18

GuruX
#! Die Hard

I applied now. I'd like to contribute with CrunchBang specific translations to swedish. I know that the page only listed Blueprints and Bugs, but perhaps translations can be something for the future?

#19 2009-01-23 19:01:06

wench
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Apologies for the late reply, my internet died for a couple of days.. I've joined, and can help out with any bugs, webstuff, or IRC stuff you need testing...

My general areas of expertise lie in those areas (besides windows admin, and no-one cares about that, lol)...

Arch64/Xmonad | @mo6020 on Identica

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

#20 2009-01-23 23:15:46

flsantos

I agree with GuruX, and I could translate for portuguese.

Linux user #433931

#21 2009-01-23 23:41:45

fabsh
#1 Linux Outlaw
Website

Joined. big_smile

#22 2009-01-24 12:19:04

Aughban
#! Member
Website

joined (called aru1ha)

#23 2009-01-24 12:38:05

Nik_Doof
#! Junkie
Website

Aughban wrote:

joined (called aru1ha)

Approved big_smile

#24 2009-01-27 11:55:40

Bane
#! CrunchBanger

Joined (Damian Hellstrom).

Dunno how I can help.  Played with Gnu/Linux for about 2 years.  Like Ubuntu, love #!.  Am more than willing to test and report.  Have 2 Desktops, 1 laptop & a high end pc being built - can't afford to buy/build it all at once smile  So can test #! on these pcs.  Will help ppl even noober than me!

Hail #!

Hail #!

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2009-01-27 20:05:19

Zaxxon

Joined as well (Zaxxon)

Bilingual English/German, working, living and breathing IT since almost 20 years, also graphic design and some minor perl and php programming. Using Linux since SuSE Linux 5. Running cruncheee on a 901 and #! on one laptop and one desktop and have to say that it is one of the most exciting new distros in recent years and would love to help where I can!

--zaxxon

Reality is just a bunch of illusion...
Zaxxon @ Übergeek Blog | twitter | last.fm | VampireFreaks

Board footer