SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2009-01-23 21:43:30

nipeng
#! Member
Registered: 2008-12-13
Posts: 57

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

Don't have the patience to wait for the upgrade instructions (apt-get dist-upgrade didn't work). I'm going for the reinstall. tongue

EDIT: found the alternate install script for lite. This seems a possible way to upgrade. I only need to get about 100 mb of updates. Trying this now.

EDIT2: Back after the "upgrade". There are some issues with the crunchbang-lite-desktop package and the (old?) crunchbang-datafiles package. Besides that my install is still working.  I've got GDM back (=yuck) wink

Last edited by nipeng (2009-01-23 22:13:31)


---
I don't like peanuts.

Offline

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#52 2009-01-27 10:22:45

fabsh
#1 Linux Outlaw
From: Bonn, Germany
Registered: 2008-11-25
Posts: 118
Website

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

Hmmm..... What exactly is involved in upgrading? I am contemplating just reinstalling as well...

Offline

#53 2009-01-27 10:41:58

corenominal
WRONG
From: Lincoln, UK
Registered: 2008-11-20
Posts: 5,058
Website

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

fabsh wrote:

Hmmm..... What exactly is involved in upgrading? I am contemplating just reinstalling as well...

Hello fabsh smile

If your system is running okay and you are happy with it, there really is no need to upgrade. The new CrunchBang point releases generally only contain fixes and some changes to config files, which you have probably already modified yourself. The new images are released to improve the CrunchBang experience for new users. Also, if you are still considering updating, I would personally hold off until .03, which will hopefully resolve the issues in this thread: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … esktop-co/ smile

Offline

#54 2009-01-27 14:10:59

michaelramm
The Inquisitor
From: Northport, AL USA
Registered: 2008-11-30
Posts: 175
Website

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

corenominal wrote:

Also, if you are still considering updating, I would personally hold off until .03, which will hopefully resolve the issues in this thread: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … esktop-co/ smile

Have you set a timeline for the 03 release? I will be more than will to test out an upgrade scripts that you are working on...that is really the reason that I have not upgraded to 02 already.

Michael

Last edited by michaelramm (2009-01-27 14:11:18)


The 1-Man IT Department | Ubuntu User #16666 | Linux User #451972
My Social Nets: Identi.ca | twitter | friendfeed
Crunchbangin' and Loving Every Minute of IT!

Offline

#55 2009-01-27 14:54:07

wench
#! CrunchBanger
From: Darlington, Co Durham
Registered: 2008-12-05
Posts: 136
Website

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

Likewise...


Arch64/Xmonad | @mo6020 on Identica

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Offline

#56 2009-01-27 15:15:46

corenominal
WRONG
From: Lincoln, UK
Registered: 2008-11-20
Posts: 5,058
Website

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

michaelramm wrote:

Have you set a timeline for the 03 release? I will be more than will to test out an upgrade scripts that you are working on...that is really the reason that I have not upgraded to 02 already.

wench wrote:

Likewise...

No release date has been set, it is an on-going endeavour. I will be setting up a special repository for testing purposes and I will let you know as soon as it is populated and ready. Thank you both for volunteering for this, it is appreciated! smile

Offline

#57 2009-01-27 15:30:25

wench
#! CrunchBanger
From: Darlington, Co Durham
Registered: 2008-12-05
Posts: 136
Website

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

Sweet


Arch64/Xmonad | @mo6020 on Identica

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Offline

#58 2009-01-28 00:19:25

swj
Eagle Eyes
From: USA
Registered: 2008-11-29
Posts: 103

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

corenominal wrote:

...I would personally hold off until .03, which will hopefully resolve the issues in this thread: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … esktop-co/ smile

big_smile .03 wow! That is great news!!

Oh, a comment about terminal apps (just my personal opinion)

Would terminal apps be better suited as an 'optional' package rather than default in the main edition?

- Terminal apps have basically the same functionality as GUI apps
- Size considerations
- Advanced users, old school, and / or light users typically use terminal apps (VIM may be an exception)
- Terminal apps (default) maybe better suited for the lite edition

Offline

#59 2009-01-28 00:28:47

anonymous
The Mystery Member
From: Arch Linux Forums
Registered: 2008-11-29
Posts: 9,418

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

Keeping the terminal apps as an optional package for the Lite edition would be welcome too.

Offline

#60 2009-01-28 00:35:12

Mehall
#! Die Hard
From: Scotland, Cold
Registered: 2009-01-17
Posts: 850
Website

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

anonymous wrote:

Keeping the terminal apps as an optional package for the Lite edition would be welcome too.


The point about them is that, if you can get a terminal, they are generally low-intensity programs, meaning you can always edit, etc. even if all you can do is get to a prompt.

I think they can stay in the Lite.

Though, tbh, I'll install them in any version I use, so meh *shrugs*


Ex-KDE user.
Collects old PC's (Coz he can't afford new ones =P)
Crunchbang @ Distrowatch
My Blog (updated infrequently, and on the #! Planet too.)

Offline

#61 2009-02-01 04:41:15

ZAP
#! Junkie
Registered: 2009-01-31
Posts: 350

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

Just installed #! (Cruncheee 8.1.0.02) on my 4GB 701 with 1GB RAM last night. It works beautifully, and it's definitely a lot more responsive than Eeebuntu or Xandros. So far I don't see any reason #! shouldn't be me Eee's OS of choice.

I added your suspend/hibernate logout script and suspend works well now (hibernate reports an insufficient swap space error, although I do have a swap partition). I just installed the elmurato ACPI scripts, and that seems to have fixed the annoying speaker hiss that I had before that (and now my function keys work, although there's no OSD and the Eee Control icon in the system tray is greyed out an unresponsive). I removed a lot of what I consider cruft from the Internet menu and installed a few things that I find useful, but that's a matter of opinion of course.

All in all: Great work!

EDIT: I actually had trouble with the elmurato ACPI scripts later (search the forums for my post on that), so install with caution.

Last edited by ZAP (2009-02-04 04:32:13)

Offline

#62 2009-02-04 10:42:24

DUDE
#! Member
From: Krypton?
Registered: 2008-12-16
Posts: 56

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

Still haven't tried 8.10.02 yet.
I feel so dirty...


Wrapped in just a blanket I was sent here from far far away to protect the people of this world! *NOT*
Last.fm

Offline

#63 2009-02-05 12:48:37

ShaqArif
#! Member
From: London, UK
Registered: 2008-11-28
Posts: 70

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

ZAP wrote:

Just installed #! (Cruncheee 8.1.0.02) on my 4GB 701 with 1GB RAM last night. It works beautifully, and it's definitely a lot more responsive than Eeebuntu or Xandros. So far I don't see any reason #! shouldn't be me Eee's OS of choice.

I added your suspend/hibernate logout script and suspend works well now (hibernate reports an insufficient swap space error, although I do have a swap partition). I just installed the elmurato ACPI scripts, and that seems to have fixed the annoying speaker hiss that I had before that (and now my function keys work, although there's no OSD and the Eee Control icon in the system tray is greyed out an unresponsive). I removed a lot of what I consider cruft from the Internet menu and installed a few things that I find useful, but that's a matter of opinion of course.

All in all: Great work!

EDIT: I actually had trouble with the elmurato ACPI scripts later (search the forums for my post on that), so install with caution.

Hi ZAP,

to get hibernate to work, you have to have at least as much swap space as you do main memory, so in your case that would be 1GB of the 4GB available... probably too high a price just for hibernation!

how does suspend work for you?  I use it all the time on my 901, and it is incredibly frugal with the battery - suspending overnight uses around 5% of battery life, I find.

Offline

#64 2009-02-05 18:26:08

ZAP
#! Junkie
Registered: 2009-01-31
Posts: 350

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

Suspend works fine for me. I actually reformatted with no swap partition and didn't install the elmmurato ACPI scripts after this post, and everything worked fine. I definitely don't need to hibernate my system; suspend and shut down are enough options for me.

What I would like is the ability to suspend when the case is closed. My Eee used to do that with Xandros and Ubuntu, and it's definitely easier than choosing Suspend from a menu. Not that I'd allow a small thing like that to spoil an otherwise beautiful relationship...

Offline

#65 2009-02-05 18:29:14

snowpine
#!-a-roo
Registered: 2008-11-24
Posts: 2,924

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

Hi ZAP,
You can make #! suspend on case closed as follows:

Preferences->Screensaver and Power Management
Click Power Management
Choose "On AC power" and/or "on battery power" tab
Set "When laptop lid is closed" to Suspend


/hugged

Offline

#66 2009-02-05 18:31:49

ZAP
#! Junkie
Registered: 2009-01-31
Posts: 350

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

snowpine wrote:

Hi ZAP,
You can make #! suspend on case closed as follows:

Preferences->Screensaver and Power Management
Click Power Management
Choose "On AC power" and/or "on battery power" tab
Set "When laptop lid is closed" to Suspend

Excellent!

Offline

#67 2009-02-05 18:57:52

snowpine
#!-a-roo
Registered: 2008-11-24
Posts: 2,924

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

When I first got my eee (before I installed #!), I just assumed it would suspend on case closed. So one time, I put it in its tight protective sleeve and threw it in my backpack. An hour later, when I pulled it out, it was toasty hot!!!

Needless to say, this was one of the first options I set when I installed #!. smile


/hugged

Offline

#68 2009-05-16 22:04:34

temiatwork
New Member
Registered: 2009-05-15
Posts: 2

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

Hi all,

i just install Cruncheee v8.10.02.i386 in my eee pc 900 and everything works fine... except for the volume,

no speaker icon, no volume control, not working hotkey (Fn + F7/F8/F9)...

I've installed xbindkeys but the hotkeys still does not work.

I would appreciate some tips and trick.

Last edited by temiatwork (2009-05-16 22:06:54)

Offline

#69 2009-05-20 13:04:42

temiatwork
New Member
Registered: 2009-05-15
Posts: 2

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

I found the solution provided in: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC/Fixes

it works!!!

Offline

#70 2009-06-30 11:15:14

michaelrevou
Member
From: Finland
Registered: 2009-03-26
Posts: 14

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

GRUB 2 Boot loader would be nice : >


Balance of Life

Offline

#71 2009-06-30 11:18:32

iggykoopa
Script Master
Registered: 2008-12-13
Posts: 1,486

Re: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 Released

grub2 won't be until 9.10...seems to work pretty well so far though


I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.

Debian Logo