SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-13 19:03:31

anunez

system date and time

so im having an interesting issue. i update my time / date info in the system menu to pacific time aka los angles. and everything works out fine but when i  reboot it changes back to the original time. i cant seem to figure this out. on a side note im also running #! off a usb flash drive and have it set in persistence mode so i have been able to edit and change many things and have them show up but seem to have an issue with the time

any help would be great thanks

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2009-01-13 22:48:50

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Re: system date and time

Hello anunez smile

I am not too sure why your time selections are not sticking, maybe it does have something to with the USB install? Anyhow, have you tried running the tzselect command in the terminal, or have you been using the GUI tool from the preferences menu? If you run tzselect it may provide you with a fix. Please let us know how you get on.

#3 2009-01-14 23:23:54

anunez

yea that worked thanks.

i actually added  TZ='America/Los_Angeles'; export TZ to .profile and it works now

hey i also seem to be having the same issue with the menu. i cant get any of the changes to stay, i have tried editing the menu.xml file and using the gui and neither have been able to keep the changes any idea

#4 2009-01-15 01:56:20

corenominal
WRONG
Website

anunez wrote:

hey i also seem to be having the same issue with the menu. i cant get any of the changes to stay, i have tried editing the menu.xml file and using the gui and neither have been able to keep the changes any idea

To be honest, without knowing more about your USB set-up I am kind of struggling for ideas as to why your changes are not sticking. You mentioned you have it set to "persistance mode", yet it does not seem to be very persistent. Have you set-up a user account for yourself, or are you using the LiveCD account?

#5 2009-01-15 06:11:54

anunez

im using the live cd mode. these are the only things that dont stick. ive added new programs. modefied cokyrc, im using tint, and dropox, all with no issues. and now the date is fixed. i used the set up provided by pendrivelinuxe   -- http://www.pendrivelinux.com/crunchbang … l-windows/

i guess its not the biggest deal in the world cause i just use alt+f2 to launch the programs i want i just wanted to figure it out.

#6 2009-01-15 18:29:02

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Ah, okay I think I understand what is happening now. Basically, the LiveCD account uses a special menu which includes the *install* menu, it is copied accross to the ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml at boot time. I think you could fix this by copying the menu to a new a new file, say "my-menu.xml" and referencing the new menu within ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml. So, for example, enter the following terminal command:

cp ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml ~/.config/openbox/my-menu.xml

Then open ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml for editing and change the main menu reference from (located somewhere towards the bottom of the file):

<file>menu.xml</file>

to:

<file>my-menu.xml</file>

Then reconfigure or restart Openbox "Preferences -> Openbox Config -> Reconfigure", make some changes to your new menu before rebooting to see if the changes stick. I hope this works for you, please let me know how you get on.

#7 2009-01-15 22:22:24

anunez

ok thanks corenominal that did it. every is running and "sticking"

thanks again

#8 2009-01-15 23:22:20

corenominal
WRONG
Website

No problem, glad I could help smile

#9 2009-01-29 12:41:30

fladd

Do you have by any chance also a fix for the same problem concerning the autostart.sh? :-)

Regards,
fladd

#10 2009-01-29 15:43:20

fladd

Board footer