SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2010-01-08 23:41:49

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Re: www.archbang.org

You can have netcfg autostart as a daemon and it is more flexible IMO.

Be excellent to each other!

#27 2010-01-09 03:42:29

willxtreme
#! Member

I've managed to make wicd work I had to ditch xfce4-notifyd for notification-daemon because I was getting the following message:
[will@sasoria ~]$ wicd-client
Importing pynotify failed, notifications disabled.
Has notifications support False
Connecting to daemon...
Can't connect to the daemon, trying to start it automatically...
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wicd/guiutil.py:54: GtkWarning: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",
  gtk.BUTTONS_OK)

As for netcfg I love it too it'll be my backup method in case wicd fails me again in the future big_smile.
Thanks for you help anonymous!

#28 2010-01-10 02:01:16

willxtreme
#! Member

And the final result, behold CrunchArch!
2010-01-17--1263781588_1280x800_scrot.png

The story started years ago when I had a 4 month class of Red Hat Linux for school but after that I kept on using Windoze. Then one day, a friend of mine tossed me an ubuntu cd. Tried it and liked it but following some tutorials to make things properly work would sometimes make me break my system so then the distro hopping saga began. OpenSuse Mandriva Puppy Linux DSL Kubuntu Fedora and more but I was never satisfied til I've discovered Linux Mint. It's a pretty nice distro with everything working out of the box. I liked that concept so I stayed with mint for a good while (Main gnome edition then moved to KDE and finally Mint XFCE edition). Mint XFCE edition was to me the best Linux OS lol because it is pretty nice and fast but who said we need a full desktop environment lol As I was doing some distro hopping found out people saying good things about Crunchbang how it's crazy fast anddd I was looking for something faster than XFCE and heard things about Blackbox Fluxbox and Openbox. Saw that OpenBox had the best comments about being fast & very flexible. I then gave #! a try and THIS IS IT. THAT WAS THE DISTRO I WAS LOOKING FOR. Not bloated, everything working out of the box and reallllll fast. As I was checking these forums heard things about ArchBang CrunchArch. The goal was to make Arch Linux look like #!. I then checked Arch Linux saw it was #9 on distrowatch.com. I read something online comparing Gentoo (that I'll soon have to use at school in another Linux class) & Arch Linux to find out how good Arch is. I liked the idea of rolling-release. I read things about CrunchBang being the distro hopping stopper but I had a last hop to do because I didn't like the fact that each time Ubuntu has a new release, I have to redownload the iso because upgrading sometimes work and sometimes it causes many issues to the system. Plus it is recommended to make a clean install with a new release. The problem is I was SOOOOOOOO MUCH in love with Crunchbang that I said to myself I'm just going to stick with #!9.04.1 FOREVER since I had everything I needed working perfectly for my needs so I've told myself why would I upgrade. At the same time I didn't like the idea of staying behind lol. So archbang was UNAVOIDABLE for me! Specially that at the start of the topic I read it was equally fast from snowpine. Now that I'm done I notice in my case that it is faster and no more worries ever about having a bleeding edge system even if I had no internet for a year. As soon as I would be online I just type one command: pacman -Syu and I'm sure to have bleeding-edge everything cool It's been a pleasure to use CrunchBang (a distro so nice that you'll want to make something similar but permanent lol )

Thank you from the bottom of the heart anonymous benj1 babook & snowpine!!!!! I'm done with #! as my MAIN OS but it'll always be my back up OS big_smile

Last edited by willxtreme (2010-01-18 21:23:08)

#29 2010-01-19 20:47:45

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

inspirational.   well done.  i remember reading this thread the day it was posted... i didnt think you'd get to such a lush archness in less than 10 days.   very well done.  smile

Last edited by Digit (2010-01-19 20:48:27)

~ think ~
i have chosen to commit to bedrocklinux.
causes of the mo: remember aaron | stop lennart (& systemd) | without a shot fired

#30 2010-01-20 21:40:27

willxtreme
#! Member

Thank you big_smile. I must say what really motivated me was the fact that I've finally found my favorite distribution but without rolling release unfortunatly. I had to find a way to make it permanent and arch was the solution. I found out that you can make your own Arch live CD and the two references were from arch's wiki and from babytux. I'm tempted to make one for Archbang but my bandwith is very restricted and I'd prefer if Corenominal made one ;-) since he's the mastermind behind Crunchbang. We don't have to be based on Ubuntu to get the same (I'd say better) product. Archbang would be to Arch Linux what Linux Mint is to Ubuntu. We name it Archbang but it could keep its name lol. There's already distros based on Arch like Chakra for KDE lovers. I see Archbang as the solution for OpenBox lovers big_smile
2010-01-21-162836_92x93_scrot.png

Last edited by willxtreme (2010-01-21 21:30:38)

#31 2010-01-21 05:07:41

mick
#! CrunchBanger

@ willextreme

When I first read this thread I thought "I wonder if this bug is catching?"

It was...

*sniff* (testing your install 'tute on spare partition now - thnx!)

Linux - because a PC is a terrible thing to waste...

#32 2010-01-21 15:20:53

rrplay

thanks to this thread it has inspired me as well  I have been working on a #! arch install and it was the reason I gave arch another go
along with Awesome wm and Slim  looks like I am going tohave to figure out out how to have a conky for open box and one for awesome

anyhow willextreme  & anonymous thanks for the great thread cause I have been having quite a 'bit of fun' with this.

Last edited by rrplay (2010-01-22 14:06:34)

#33 2010-01-22 04:09:49

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

willxtreme wrote:

... I found out that you can make your own Arch live CD and the two references were from arch's wiki and from babytux. I'm tempted to make one for Archbang....
2010-01-21-162836_92x93_scrot.png

do it, do it, do it!   EEEEEE!    big_smile

now thats the opensourcery way.  an innovation comes, and we all benefit.

to repeat the important part of this message, regarding making an archbang live cd....

do it, do it, do it!

big_smile

[edit]
heck!  if its not too big, and you get it sent to me, that's the kind of thing worth me trying to uploading to my website's free hosting space!   serious worthy.  big_smile

Last edited by Digit (2010-01-22 04:12:37)

~ think ~
causes of the mo: remember aaron | stop lennart (& systemd) | without a shot fired

#34 2010-01-22 04:26:49

mrpeachy
20% cooler

Digit wrote:

do it, do it, do it!

with the future of #! as yet undetermined, and the lifespan of 9.04 coming to an end in the not too distant future... this alternative would be of interest to me also.
I have seen some install scripts around but that approach just isn't appealing to me.  I don't have a spare partition to install a test setup to, or the knowledge to troubleshoot anything that might go wrong in the process.
A live CD is the perfect way to go, the "try before you buy" route gives you a chance to take a look, to see if it works with what you have got and the chance to get your toes wet without any commitment of resources other than a blank CD.

I really only know the basics of using ubuntu based releases.  Your Archbang setup certainly looks great, but I would want the chance to see how steep the learning curve would be for me to switch to a different system.

Last edited by mrpeachy (2010-01-22 04:28:45)

#35 2010-01-22 05:22:00

willxtreme
#! Member

Where can I host around 700mb for free with unlimited bandwith?

#36 2010-01-22 05:27:49

mrpeachy
20% cooler

willxtreme wrote:

Where can I host around 700mb for free with unlimited bandwith?

therein lies the hitch i guess! (but you can't blame us for our enthusiasm smile )

maybe (and i don't know much about it) but making it available as a torrent might be a solution?
but someone who knows about that kind of thing needs to confirm that

Last edited by mrpeachy (2010-01-22 05:31:17)

#37 2010-01-22 06:00:19

willxtreme
#! Member

Torrents are blocked at my school and my home's bandwith is very limited

#38 2010-01-22 06:04:45

willxtreme
#! Member

http://omploader.org seems to be the solution! and I'm all fired up for something new to work on. I feel like I'll have a busy week-end lol!

#39 2010-01-22 12:01:02

slapfish
#! Die Hard

I am so eager to download this (soon to be made?) live cd... I wanted to try and setup archbang myself, but I don't have the experience, nor the time to do it, so a live cd would be ideal... The rolling release feature is soooo interesting... I only wonder if the repos are as rich as ubuntu's...anyway, If you decide to go with torrent, as well, I can leave a pc on my office open 24/7, the upload speed is usually 5-7Mb/s.

#40 2010-01-22 13:02:37

craigh
#! CrunchBanger

slapfish wrote:

I am so eager to download this (soon to be made?) live cd... I wanted to try and setup archbang myself, but I don't have the experience, nor the time to do it, so a live cd would be ideal... The rolling release feature is soooo interesting... I only wonder if the repos are as rich as ubuntu's...anyway, If you decide to go with torrent, as well, I can leave a pc on my office open 24/7, the upload speed is usually 5-7Mb/s.

The repos are very good, I have found nearly everything I needed and if it is not in there you can use the AUR which is the Arch User Repository which has thousands of packages.

Last edited by craigh (2010-01-22 13:03:31)

Running Crunchbang on eee pc 701 and Dell Mini 10v.

#41 2010-01-22 17:33:57

klanger
#! Die Hard

Install script is much better way to install Arch, as there is a lot of manual stuff to setup so your software fits well to your hardware.

Try some Arch-liveCD and you will see what I have in mind (http://www.sarckz.com.ar/totoloco/,http://arch-live.co.nr/->look at the list of apps and drivers, could be useful).

Maybe a LIVE-CD distro dedicated to a specific hardware is a way (like chruncheee).

Here is  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … m_a_LiveCD a guide how to install Arch from Arch-liveCD - nothing like in ubuntu or #!
As always - "the Arch way" wink

Last edited by klanger (2010-01-22 17:37:09)

#42 2010-01-22 18:31:06

willxtreme
#! Member

This will be handy because I was wondering how do you make an installer for your Arch Live CD like Chakra for example
alpha4-05.png
and from the answer I've got on arch linux forums, it seems like you got to code it from scratch lol....

so I'll focus on making the live CD for now & the link you provided will be handy for those wanting to install it permanently. As of the install script it sounds good too. It could be a script you run right after you've followed the steps suggested on this mini-guide to get Arch w/ Open-Box big_smile

#43 2010-01-22 20:03:48

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

hehe, omploader and chakra, two things i woulda mentioned if u hadnt already.  smile

are there other installers you could frankenstein into it?  anaconda? yast? other?   i've seen anaconda used in other distros, non-rpm ones, i think its whats used in some versions of sabayon.  dunno how easy that'd b.  worth investigating, sure to be easier than coding from scratch.

but so this isnt a completely wasted visit to this thread:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Realtime_for_Users
(as is of interest to those in the #!studio thread)

~ think ~

#44 2010-01-23 08:51:13

klanger
#! Die Hard

willxtreme wrote:

As of the install script it sounds good too.

Have a look at oms script (Arch+Openbox) -> http://dtx.omnsproject.org/?p=186

Last edited by klanger (2010-01-23 08:51:31)

#45 2010-01-23 10:26:54

holt
#! Member

klanger wrote:

Install script is much better way to install Arch, as there is a lot of manual stuff to setup so your software fits well to your hardware.

Try some Arch-liveCD and you will see what I have in mind (http://www.sarckz.com.ar/totoloco/,http://arch-live.co.nr/->look at the list of apps and drivers, could be useful).

Maybe a LIVE-CD distro dedicated to a specific hardware is a way (like chruncheee).

Here is  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … m_a_LiveCD a guide how to install Arch from Arch-liveCD - nothing like in ubuntu or #!
As always - "the Arch way" wink

Don't forget godane's Archiso-live project with xfce!

Dick Laurent is dead.

#46 2010-01-23 14:08:09

IgorP
#! Junkie

I understand that Arch is sefl taylored system building on specific hardware.

The good things IMO from everything I've read:
1. Rolling-release (when newest stuff are good).
2. Willextreme says Archlinux is even faster than #!.
3. Lightweight (Openbox, sure)

My questions are:
1. Is the Arch stable and (reasonably) secure like #! ?
2. Apps? Do I have access to all apps like in Ubuntu repositories ?!

Thank you and

regards!

#47 2010-01-23 14:52:10

snowpine
#!-a-roo

IgorP wrote:

My questions are:
1. Is the Arch stable and (reasonably) secure like #! ?
2. Apps? Do I have access to all apps like in Ubuntu repositories ?!

1. It depends on the user more than in other distros. Arch can be stable and secure if you follow the instructions and understand the system, but it is also probably easier to break than an Ubuntu-based distro. Arch Beginners Guide is a must-read to understand the package manager, various configuration files in /etc, X, alsa, networking, etc. Many power users choose Arch; they would not use it if it were not stable and secure (in the right hands). A rough analogy is that Arch is like driving stick shift.
2. Arch has a huge selection of packages. Go to http://www.archlinux.org/ and you'll see a "package search" right at the top of the page. smile Don't forget about the AUR too: http://aur.archlinux.org/

/hugged

#48 2010-01-23 15:16:26

IgorP
#! Junkie

snowpine,

thanks for quick reply. I've been on arch pages and there is pretty huge wiki, I know smile So, that's why I asked those questions.

In other words challenge is to take time to prepare and produce vision what you want, and then do it smile

I'm not in hurry yet to leave the #!.

Thank you again,

Regards!

#49 2010-01-23 15:30:00

snowpine
#!-a-roo

You are welcome. smile I used Arch for a while on my Dell Mini 9. It is a great distro for netbooks with small SSD drives (mine is only 8gb) because you install only what you want/need. In the end however I decided rolling release is not right for me.

/hugged

Be excellent to each other!

#50 2010-01-23 15:46:15

IgorP
#! Junkie

snowpine wrote:

You are welcome. smile I used Arch for a while on my Dell Mini 9. It is a great distro for netbooks with small SSD drives (mine is only 8gb) because you install only what you want/need. In the end however I decided rolling release is not right for me.

Could I ask you why (rolling-release) ? Which are your reasons ?

And now I understand the term "stick shift" from your post above.. big_smile Majority of cars in Croatia has manual transmission rather than automatic, so this is common stuff here smile

Last edited by IgorP (2010-01-23 15:50:29)

Board footer