SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2009-01-13 22:58:06

dannytatom
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Why do you use #!Crunchbang

It's simple, comes with a small selection of easy-to-remove apps, and nothing is tied to anything else (such as evolution and gnome) to a high degree.

All in all, it's like building ubuntu from the ground up with all the hard work already taken care of.

Oh, and "#!" is the coolest symbol for a distro.

Last edited by dannytatom (2009-01-13 22:58:38)

.files
dnyy in IRC & Urban Terror

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2009-01-13 23:13:02

kBang
#! Die Hard

kollektivist - not to drive you away from #! or anything, but it sounds to me like you should just do a net install of Ubuntu and build your wmii environment on that.

I would like to mention many months ago I tried something similar, basically trying to build my own openbox environment from scratch.  It was quite a job to get it anywhere near #!.

I view KDE like I view snow. It looks fun and marvelous, it's fun to play in, but after a while I just want someone to take it all away.

#28 2009-01-14 00:03:59

ggordon
#! Member

Mama told me to use #! or else!....

smile

ggordon

#29 2009-01-15 16:34:58

rasmith3530
#! Member

I had downloaded and burned a #! CD a while back but never used it, going with first Ubuntu and then Xubuntu. Then, recently, I picked up an Asus EeePC 701, and after discovering a problem with Eeebuntu 2.0, I began looking for alternatives. I tried a custom install of LinuxMINT Fluxbox, but my limited Linux skills weren't a match. Next, I tried Fluxflux-eee and liked it, but I really wanted an Ubuntu-based distro, because of application availability. I installed Xubuntu next, using the Array dot org kernel, and just got it running well when I came upon an article describing Cruncheee. I downloaded it and installed it to a USB thumb drive, running it from there. I really began to like it. Next, I decided to install CrunchBang on my IBM Thinkpad. Finally, Crunchee became a permanent resident on my Eee.

My reasons for using? First, Ubuntu-based. Next, it just flat loos cool! This is the first distro that I've ever felt right about using pretty much out-of-the-box. The default theme is great! Finally, #! gives me a challenge to learn more about Linux at a time when I need to be learning more about Linux. It gives me the opportunity to use my system while learning how to make it better for my own personal use.

Thanks guys for this great distribution. I'll be talking it up at my local LUG.

Rob Smith
"Linux, because software, like people, should be allowed to exist in an open, sharing community, and not kept contained by corporate greed!"

#30 2009-01-15 16:40:41

kollektivist

kBang wrote:

kollektivist - not to drive you away from #! or anything, but it sounds to me like you should just do a net install of Ubuntu and build your wmii environment on that.

I would like to mention many months ago I tried something similar, basically trying to build my own openbox environment from scratch.  It was quite a job to get it anywhere near #!.

My computer is tied to internet throught w-lan, so I have to get a network-manager installed throught a cd before I can get internet working, and then I can rebuild the system like I want to. But thanks for the thip. smile

#31 2009-01-15 17:32:22

toor58
#! Member

Hello everyone:

Thought this would be a good place to do a real first post. I have been using Linux for a couple of years now. My favorite distros were Ubuntu, of course, Linux Mint, and Sidux. Sidux helped me to get comfortable with the command line. But when I found crunchbang I felt like a lot of others that this was what I had been looking for.

It is based on Ubuntu, so I have a familiar application enviroment. I prefer the gnome desktop, as well. And like I said, I am comfortable using the CLI, and have actually come to prefer it to point and click in many instances. But I have little scripting experience outside of fooling with conky. By the way, you guys rock conky!!.

So I have a new learning task ahead ofme. I hope that I want become to much of a pest as I try to learn my way through pipe menus and menu.xml, etc. Keep on learning is my motto. I never used a computer till four years ago, and I just turnes 50 years old. I have acquired two certifications now. The A+ and the MCP. Hope to get more. I use MS stuff because of schools nad because that is where the repair work is. But my heart and mind are linux. 

Well enough out of me. Look forward to a long journey with #! and the community.

Michael

smile Free your Software -- Free your Life smile

ASUS eee pc 1005HA -- awesome#!

#32 2009-01-28 09:42:23

Sjur
#! Member

got tired of doing debian minimal with openbox reinstalls whenever I broke something, the download time is to long a wait, and I have a eee901 so i have to have wired net to reinstall, wich is quite encumbersome when I'm traveling... #! I just have to bring my usb-disk and I can install it everywhere, and everything works... until I break it...

I make chaos

#33 2009-01-28 13:41:27

patrickstein
#! Die Hard

I use crunchbang because I have an acer aspire one netbook. Crunchbang runs comfortable on it, and I like the way crunch is setup.

#34 2009-01-28 21:25:17

Maukel

1. Never used Openbox before, and was curious.
2. I like Ubuntu, but at times it seemed as if it it were running too slow/it was glitchy/buggy/unreliable at times. Whereas the simple configuration of #! means it would be really hard to mess up or glitch anything.
3. I love the clean, simple desktop, free of clutter, and simple to customize.
4. Even though I have a decent machine (Dell Inspiron 531, AMD Athlon 64), I much prefer to not open a jar of pickles with a Sledgehammer (I.E. use just enough oomph to get whatever done), and go easy on resources for super fast loading.
5. Freedom and control.

Those are my main reasons.

#35 2009-02-01 20:48:46

goron72

Hi guys, first post. As a quasi-linux newbie, #! has the repositories of ubuntu and the lightweight speed that blows my mind everytime I boot up my old-as-dirt laptop.  I also think it's magical... it remembers my wireless settings with no tinkering, the bugs I had with ubuntu are gone with the apps I use, it's just perfect for me! Thank you for making such an awesome distro!:)

#36 2009-02-11 18:41:17

pitje
#! Junkie
Website

i don't need #! for it's small footprint: my laptop is a fairly new core2duo/2GbRAM machine, and my current pc has a P4 with 3 GbRAM, KDE/Gnome run smoothly.
My favorite editor is (was) kdevelop, and I've got lots and lots of useless software installed that I hardly use.

For me, at first it was the look: simple & elegant, so I decided to make a bootable usb-stick with #!.
Fiddled with that a bit, and instantly liked it.
A friend of mine advised me to try fluxbox and/or awesome a little while ago, but it seemed like a lot of tweaking before I even had something to work with. #! took away the initial fiddling about and gave me a working environment that I only needed to tweak a little. (Don't get me wrong, I don't mind tweaking my system, but I don't have the time to spend days to get things right)
My laptop is running #! now, and my new computer will be running it too, I've decided.
The only thing I need now is an editor that's gonna replace Kdevelop/Kate. Using gedit and geany now, but I'd love to hear about some other ones. But that's for another topic. smile

oh yeah? well, your momma dresses you funny and you need a mouse to delete files

#37 2009-02-11 22:57:30

borgio3
Website

I'm using #! because is fast, clean, easy to use, with OpenBox, with almost of my preferred tools and apps, and finally because is based on Ubuntu.

Ciao Ciao :-)

Linux is a personal matter!

#38 2009-02-11 23:34:09

fhsm
#! Junkie

#! is a delicious Ubuntu and Slackware smoothie served in an openbox glass.

- fast and light
- just works / apt-get / ubuntu
- looks cool / black and white / conky

#39 2009-02-12 02:13:02

skyser

I was using Xubuntu for a while since it had a light-weight version of Ubuntu and I preferred Ubuntu because of its repos. Yet, in many ways, Xubuntu was not good enough. Xfce lacked many functionalities, it was still bloated with many unnecessary services. First setup required many installations of codecs etc.
Then when I saw the talks about a distro with the support of ubuntu repos, out of the box and light-weight with functionality, I had to try. And I must say, so far I'm not disappointed. All the necessary programs and stuff are pre-installed. Window manager is fast and useful. Especially theme is for my taste. I learned how to use conky in this forum smile
If I could manage to make some programs to work with wine then I guess it's time to say goodbye to my windows partition.

#40 2009-02-12 07:40:21

chiemartin
Website

I have an Asus EEE PC 701 with 4GB.  I needed an OS with a small footprint and quick enough to deliver the goods.

#41 2009-02-16 01:01:40

KFC
#! Member

Within about 48 hours of getting my eee 901, I knew the default Xandros just wouldn't do the job for me. I started off trying out Eeebuntu and Easy Peasy, but just couldn't get on with the NBR interface, and the standard eeebuntu looked too much like a mac for my tastes. I was starting to look into Pupeee or another lightweight distro when I stumbled upon CB.

Basically, CrunchEee has everything I need in a netbook OS. It's attractive, quick to boot, and has a reasonably large helpful community to help fix any problems my uneducated tinkering might cause.

Many people have referred to CB as a distro for more advanced Linux users, but I've not found this really. A few weeks of playing around with the terminal and Synaptic in Xandros was all I needed to enjoy using #! smile

#42 2009-02-16 23:48:15

walikard

The looks! I just love the looks! smile I am a newbie with linux. Once in a while, I'll be using Ubuntu live cd with my work notebook since the original XP in it has been firewalled, should I wanna go wifi outdoor. After I bought EEE PC from a friend, I am thinking of putting the Ubuntu as the core OS. So, I went straight ahead installing eeebuntu. However, it doesn't suit my preference due to it's look  though eeebuntu is "super good" in term of functionality. So, I gave #! a try, and WOW, I like it very much big_smile Very minimalistic in design, and very light to my "a bit outdated EEE PC" (701 with 4G). Though I am new to Linux, this super friendly forum  has keep me alive. Thanks everyone big_smile

#43 2009-02-19 04:53:10

vicshrike
#! by Default

"its all in ones name"

#!, all else is but a shadow

#44 2009-02-19 04:56:45

vicshrike
#! by Default

sorry, should have been "its all in ones name" (Berke Brethed)

#!, all else is but a shadow

#45 2009-02-19 17:18:16

ArtF10

I came to Crunchbang for 3 reasons:

1.  The old hardware in my desktop system was 3 years old
2.  The older hardware in my desktop system was 8 years old
3.  The oldest hardware in my desktop system was 11 years old

Gnome was acceptable but I was looking for how fast the system could get without much intervention.  I decided that Openbox was the way to go because it was so light but found it hard to setup since I'm new to Linux.  Crunchbang offered Ubuntu(with great detection for my old/er/est hardware) so I was quite excited to give it a go and it hasn't dissapointed me.

BTW:  I was actually registered on here around 8 months ago but I guess I was inactive for too long....but anyways that's besides the point.  This is a great distribution.  It makes Openbox fun to use....for the beginner atleast.

Last edited by ArtF10 (2009-02-19 17:24:03)

#46 2009-03-05 06:33:59

awefluhti

I wanted to run a debian or ubuntu system on my 901.  I also did not want to use gnome or KDE because of the 1024x600 screen.  Usable screen real estate is a premium on this little thing.  I'm slowly working on cutting down the installed programs and getting things configured more to my personal liking.  I really like Openbox so far.

I wanted an efficient OS that used the apt package management system that would work well out of the box on my EEE 901.  Also, cruncheee = crunchy.  It made me giggle.

#47 2009-03-05 09:08:09

klanger
#! Die Hard

After I brought eeePC (1000hd) for my girlfriend (or you shuold say girl-life-partner big_smile) and seen the XP - “not” - runnig on that netbook I've decided to install a linux distro on eeePC.

She liked Ubuntu-eee (and is happly using it till today), but I've felt in love with the whole linux-idea and phylosophy smile

The more I've read about linux and macworld, the more I hated mac os x...(the whole mac cult is something not acceptable) and I started to install numbers of distros on macbook... (and twice I've deleted all my data on mac's hdd – upps).
One day I've found #!...

For same reason macbook is not a very good machine to run linux (sometimes it gets very hot), so I've brought myself an eeepc 900 just to be able to run linux distros.

Crunchbang is the only distro that I liked from the beginnig (also liked sabayon4 on macbook, but for a netbooks ssd gentoo is not a good idea tongue) and it also worked out-of-the-box – the chruncheee edition.
Ok, some function keys do not work (probably it's not difficult to make them work), but I don't care.
Most of things you can do from the manu or using key combination “super+...” which is fine for me and in the end it is faster!

For me #! is an ideal brain-computer-interface – that joins my brain force and the 01 force of little 900 eeepc big_smile

#! (linux) gives me the unforgetable link with my computer which I didn't feel in a 1% after over a year on mac os x and years on Windows.

For my work (scientific journalist and a scientist) I use very limited number of app – OO Writer, PDF viewer, FF or nowdays more often Elinks (unstable 0.12 vertion, which for me is very stable big_smile), divix player (for the movies, that is mainly because I don't have and don't watch TV  – and I'm more than happy with that) and an e-mail client. OK, #! does not support Sigma Plot which I use at work (even with wine), so I need XP just to run that single app big_smile.
I do have a copy of M$ on my macbook's virtualbox.

Once again I'd like to thank the #! developers for their work – very good job! - and #! community for support big_smile

(sorry for my english)

#48 2009-03-05 11:55:11

pghjake
#! Member

It runs great off 8GB SDHC card in my EEE 900. Very fast. I dual boot w/ XP but spend most in #!

#49 2009-03-06 12:43:32

tnylnxgy

Ubuntu 8.10 is a little buggy on my IBM Intellistation Z Pro (though it works great on a Dell Dimension 3000 in my back office). OTOH, #! runs perfect on my old IBM. cool

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#50 2009-03-10 17:07:58

nabilalk
#! Die Hard

@scottro: It is not a stupid idea, it is a brilliant one! Whose story reigns supreme? Perhaps we could have a poll for the best story? At any rate, here is my tale of CrunchBang beginnings...

My G4 Powerbook was stolen since I foolishly forgot to lock my car and I was left laptopless.  A friend of mine was going to throw out her 7 year old Dell Inspiron 2650, and I asked her to give it to me instead. After hopelessly trying to run the default Windows XP on the dinosaur, I decided to try my hand at Linux after reading a Lifehacker articleabout the lightest Linux Distros. First I tried Puppy Linux, which was fast, but frankly looked like crap and wasn't user-friendly. Then I tried xubuntu and still was not satisfied. Finally I cam across #! in a Lifehacker review . Since then, I have effectively resurrected the dinosaur and am starting to convince my friends and family to abandon the spyware/virus/trojan laden waters of Windows and switch to the lite-side of things.... Cheers ;-)

Like Lifehacker said, #! "just works" ;-)

Last edited by nabilalk (2009-03-10 17:42:55)

#! 10 “Statler” r20110207 32-bit & Openbox

Board footer