SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-13 07:23:44

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

explain bsd to us

hi.
i've seen a couple mentions of BSD around here.
i tried it a couple times, but really didnt get very far with it at all.
i was just wondering if some of you who are more familiar and experienced with it, could explain it and it's merits to linux users.

i'm not looking for the whole manual, i can google that myself.   just looking for maybe a brief account of experiences, what first attracted you to it, what still appeals, what are the significant advantages, what are the differences to be aware of, n maybe a couple pointers on how to avoid teething problems...   something like that maybe.

thnx. smile

~ think ~
i have chosen to commit to bedrocklinux.
causes of the mo: remember aaron | stop lennart (& systemd) | without a shot fired

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2009-12-13 07:34:49

evilgravedigger
#! Member

Re: explain bsd to us

I tried PC-BSD. That was...nothing really special roll

…the Linux philosophy is «laugh in the face of danger». Oops. Wrong one. «Do it yourself». That’s it.
Linus Torwalds
I'm back to crunchbang!  smile

#3 2009-12-13 08:23:45

pvsage
Internal Affairs

IIRC, BSD-Unix and Linux started out at about the same time as friendly competitors.  They're both Unix-like, they just use different macrokernels.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#4 2009-12-13 08:41:03

klanger
#! Die Hard

evilgravedigger wrote:

I tried PC-BSD. That was...nothing really special roll

As every other KDE based OS seen from the "other" side of the LCD wink

PC-BSD is for BSD what Ubuntu (Kubuntu) is for Linux.
Plug&play/work - with GUI installer that does everything for you.
PC-BSD is very heavy, so using it on a netbook is not so good idea, but it has all useful apps, and drivers so it should work out-of-the-box.
+ it has PBI, which is something like synaptic (package manager)

FreeBSD is more like Arch - with "do it yourself" philosophy - with simple installer. After initial install FBSD is in CLi mode, and you have to download&configure Xorg + other wanted stuff, like automount USB, keyboard setup, window manager, cups for printing, and download all wanted apps if you are using net install.

FBSD has ZFS file system, but you need at least 1GB RAM - that is why I don't use it, since my eeepc has only 1GB of RAM (and I don't like using stuff at its minimal requirements).

Having ability to compare FBSD & Arch I think BSD is more stable, and rock solid, and is easier to install (with version 7.2 or 8.0) than Arch.

For example, you can switch off your computer in a hard way (press off button) and the system will boot normally even after few times, where in linux, you would have to fsck your drives.
In fact it is  similar like in mac os x, which is based on BSD.

Since nothing is perfect webcam doesn't work on FBSD and suspending or hibernating is also problematic (zzz works on eeecp but not as good as on linux).
There are also NetBSD and OpenBSD (DesktopBSD is nearly dead). Webcam works on NetBSD as I heard somewhere.

If you need some info how to install it on cd-rom-less netbook I could post some links.

I'm using FreeBSD on my eeepc and really enjoy it - but I don't mind some difficulties while using an OS /+ I always have a backup OS on sdcard -> madbox at the moment wink /

I know it damn stupid but I really like FreeBSD logo:

logo-full-thumb.png
freebsd-daemon.png

Last edited by klanger (2009-12-13 08:50:07)

#5 2009-12-13 08:52:11

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I <3 the BSD Daemon too.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#6 2009-12-13 10:17:08

qbrick
#! CrunchBanger

It's been a while, since I played around with BSD. Inourdays you can simply use it like a ubuntu derivate, in case you install pc-bsd. Net- and open are of another breed, of course. Setting up a foreign font set and lang not to talk of X and everything else is a cli task. Free-BSD with its cursebased setup is a bit more pleasant.
What impressed me most in my limited experince with Free- was how clean the system was. Services and kernel modules to come up while booting were defined (and still are) in a single file. Baking a customized kernel was a breeze. It just appeared in / waiting for reboot. Every GUI I tried behaved much quicker as with any so called userfriendly Linux system at that time (except of RedHat which wasn't userfriendly in that sense). The same with stability.
However I'm talking about FBSD 4 or something (can't remember).
The last time I used it, was FBSD 7. There was no need to make a custom kernel or seriously configure the system from cli anymore. Still the BSD foliant by Greg Lehey from '99 was of great help which is speaking for itself.

#7 2009-12-13 11:15:23

klanger
#! Die Hard

qbrick wrote:

Every GUI I tried behaved much quicker as with any so called userfriendly Linux system at that time (except of RedHat which wasn't userfriendly in that sense). The same with stability.

It is the same on FBSD 8.0 -> you can use gnome on eeepc (900) with a feeling you are in cli big_smile
It is that fast.

#8 2009-12-13 12:07:09

qbrick
#! CrunchBanger

klanger wrote:

It is the same on FBSD 8.0 -> you can use gnome on eeepc (900) with a feeling you are in cli big_smile
It is that fast.

That would mean, a FreeBSDied Gnome is on par with a ubuntized Openbox.
Sweet! big_smile

#9 2009-12-13 12:36:17

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

big_smile   wow.   so what would it be like with openbox!  big_smile

gonna give PC-BSD a try.   not looking for something hefty to sink my teeth into.  just a taster.

many thanks everyone, especially klanger for the excellent overview.

~ think ~
causes of the mo: remember aaron | stop lennart (& systemd) | without a shot fired

#10 2009-12-13 13:21:33

klanger
#! Die Hard

Digit wrote:

big_smile   wow.   so what would it be like with openbox!  big_smile

gonna give PC-BSD a try.   not looking for something hefty to sink my teeth into.  just a taster.

I'm glad I could help wink

I'm using fluxbox at the moment (with FBSD) which is close to Openbox, since OB is based on Fluxbox and not often do I feel 900 MHz barrier of eeepc's procesor smile
Which is actually great!

My daily work done with eeepc is as comfortable as on mac os x on C2D macbook +3GB of RAM (excluding some heavy computing, VB etc).
In fact, I'm  writing all my work articles on eeepc (I'm so used to it small keyboad) and use macbook with a 13' monitor for showing references.

Last edited by klanger (2009-12-13 13:22:26)

#11 2009-12-13 13:33:41

qbrick
#! CrunchBanger

There's much to praise on BSD's side, but it should be kept in mind that hardware support is behind Linux's.
ATM most of what I used to appreciate in FreeBSD namely speed, stability and a good overview over how the system is structured, I find in Scientific Linux (a free-as-beer derivate of Red Hat Enterprise Linux) including the advantage of good hardware recognition plus a strong back up by Red Hat/CERN/Fermilab et al.

Last edited by qbrick (2009-12-13 13:41:42)

#12 2009-12-13 13:54:13

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

originally posted by Digit
gonna give PC-BSD a try.

maybe not.   was reading up, going through all the startup stuff, had a dozen tabs open from various forum threads and wiki pages, and more.   was clearing space on my laptop's packed hd to make room for the 2gig iso.   even signed up to their forum.   was gearing up for giving it a go... decided to take a quick peek at distrowatch about it...   kde4!   eegad!   fail!   cant be bothered gutting kde4 out of another system.  will have to wait until i'm more enthused, ready to give FBSD (or other) a proper investigation n get ports happy.  big_smile   i'll visit a leper colony before i use kde4.   (n u can quote me on that)

ooh... dragon fly bsd looks more appetising.

~ think ~

#13 2009-12-13 14:16:55

qbrick
#! CrunchBanger

Why are you kids today are so obsessed with default graphical interfaces. wink Shouldn't be a prob to launch a Fluxbox on PC-BSD. Come on, give it a try. If it works on your hardware, you'll be happy for the years (or at least months) to come, I promise.
Take a look at the pbi system, too - a real advantage of PC-BSD as I understand it.

#14 2009-12-13 15:40:43

evilgravedigger
#! Member

You can also try TrueBSD LiveDVD smile

…the Linux philosophy is «laugh in the face of danger». Oops. Wrong one. «Do it yourself». That’s it.
Linus Torwalds
I'm back to crunchbang!  smile

#15 2009-12-13 18:59:54

Ronin
#! Member

For the really serious seeker, the Gentoo portage system can be used to custom-build your BSD. This may, or may not, eliminate some of the hardware issues. Your mileage may vary.

For me, Gentoo and Slackware can be Unix-like enough, so I'm not really interested in BSD.

There is the chance it may thrill some people to show up at Linux events wearing horns.

Freedom to choose is the most basic of all rights.

#16 2009-12-13 19:45:21

qbrick
#! CrunchBanger

Ronin wrote:

There is the chance it may thrill some people to show up at Linux events wearing horns.

Still not as thrilling maybe as to show up in Texas:
http://rmitz.org/freebsd.daemon.html

#17 2009-12-14 04:56:34

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

qbrick wrote:

Why are you kids today are so obsessed with default graphical interfaces. wink Shouldn't be a prob to launch a Fluxbox on PC-BSD. Come on, give it a try. If it works on your hardware, you'll be happy for the years (or at least months) to come, I promise.
Take a look at the pbi system, too - a real advantage of PC-BSD as I understand it.

oh i'm no stranger to multiple desktop environments / window managers.   it just contaminates the system.  messes up things like gtk/qt, makes konquerer awkward to start in the functional 3.5 version, and so on.   no to mention the insane girth lugged around. 

i woulda gotten further with my sampling of bsd this time around if it werent for me trying to catch up with a couple other forums, my emails, and the further staggered inauguration of my local lug that myself and another local (i've not met in person) are setting up.

i'll get there.   dont yas worry.  smile 

dunno if i'm getting confused with sun's unix, but doesnt bsd handle partition naming conventions differently to linux?    ...iirc.

~ think ~

#18 2009-12-14 06:21:27

klanger
#! Die Hard

If you don't like kde, there is gnome BSD -> http://ghostbsd.org/ - based on BSD 8.0

#19 2010-02-14 14:38:14

klanger
#! Die Hard

PC-BSD-8.0-RC is out!

For the first time, you can try pc-bsd - which is based on freebsd - as live-dvd!
And, you can install it in VirtualBox (at least as a mac os x guest)!

more info - http://www.pcbsd.org/content/view/149/

Last edited by klanger (2010-02-14 14:45:17)

#20 2010-02-14 16:45:03

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

o wel, since this thread got bumped, i just wanna say

openbsd...   that was awesome fun.  love it.   will likely install again some day... like when i need a server.  lol

~ think ~

Board footer