SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-06 10:18:33

Temetka
#! CrunchBanger

Some BL Ideas

I work in IT and as such have to always be aware of domain security. Everything from the firewalls, to group policy, password cycling, and so on.

That being said I would like to suggest that the devs take under consideration that the following be added:

ufw
SELinux
AppArmor

They don't have to be enabled, but having them baked in would be nice.

Sure they are a "sudo apt-get ufw" away. Just a thought.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-08-06 15:41:18

MsMattie
#! Member

Re: Some BL Ideas

I would actually suggest that these NOT be included. They require anywhere from a fair amount of expertise to a great deal of expertise. So when someone closer to my (past newbie but still low) skill level sees this stuff, it just makes the entire package look overly complicated. And the tendency is to just think "so where do I download Mint?"

Linux in the backwoods of the Rocky Mountains...

#3 2015-08-06 16:03:17

hhh
Cityspeak

Support for SELinux is built into the kernel and must be configured by the user...
https://wiki.debian.org/SELinux
https://wiki.debian.org/SELinux/Setup

I'm inclined to agree with MsMattie that, since the user needs to configure these utilities, apt-get installing them is not an unreasonable extra step.  smile

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UFW
https://wiki.debian.org/AppArmor

bunsenlabs     glasses     forum mod squad

#4 2015-08-06 17:57:26

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

Temetka wrote:

ufw
SELinux
AppArmor

BL - simply put - isn't type of distro, i.e. it is not aimed at people who would need such type of security out of the box. IMHO.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

#5 2015-08-07 03:59:17

Temetka
#! CrunchBanger

Well I can configure these things myself. I was just throwing it out there.

#6 2015-08-07 08:45:45

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Most newbies probably wouldn't know to even look for such apps, but it is probably quite easy for an experienced Linux user to install such apps.  I wouldn't know, personally, as I've never installed or used the referenced apps.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#7 2015-08-07 15:24:16

MsMattie
#! Member

Temetka wrote:

Well I can configure these things myself. I was just throwing it out there.

Yes, I appreciate that. Tossing around new ideas for things is always good.

One of the things I like about Crunchbang is that is has so little in it. It's easier for me to install what I want rather than uninstall all the stuff that distro authors think I want. The giant bloated office suites they tend to put in all of them, for instance. I don't want those things cluttering up the system and taking up space and adding one more thing that only takes away from simplicity. And when I remove this stuff, especially the big ones like those suites, I always wonder how much I am inadvertently leaving behind.

Gimp is another one. Big and bloated like Photoshop and I think it should be left out. And I'm a photographer! But I would prefer to install it myself if I decide I want it.

What I do want in a distro are the more difficult things that I don't know how to install well because I rarely have to do it. Things like drivers and codecs and the underling structure that unless you deal with it all the time, it is time consuming to research and deal with on a one-time basis. And a few of the popular programs that are not in the Debian repository, like Chrome and Truecrypt and possibly Calibre, with the "option" in the menu to install them if wanted.

Last edited by MsMattie (2015-08-07 15:31:17)

#8 2015-08-07 18:19:21

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

MsMattie wrote:

a few of the popular programs that are not in the Debian repository, like Chrome and Truecrypt and possibly Calibre, with the "option" in the menu to install them if wanted.

Yes, optional installation of a few popular things not in the Debian repos is something worth exploring in my opinion. But I'm not sure how popular that idea will be. I'm pretty sure part of the plan was to stick to the Debian repos except for maybe some scripts etc.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by taking the Tor challenge.

#9 2015-08-07 18:55:39

hhh
Cityspeak

Anaconda wrote:

I'm pretty sure part of the plan was to stick to the Debian repos except for maybe some scripts etc.

Yes. Except for adding the contrib and non-free repositories and carrying over and adding to the scripts from #! that make the Openbox/tint2/conky combination more useable, we still plan to use Debian jessie packages in the ISOs only.

2ion has built Debian packages of the Ubuntu fonts and they've been uploaded to the repo, but I doubt we'll include them in the release by default. Same with including Head_on_a_Stick's simple backport of xfce4-power-manager that returns a battery applet to the notification area of tint2... we may backport it ourselves and have it available as an apt-get install xfce4-power-manager away, but it won't be in by default. (BTW, creating a simple backport of it yourself is extremely easy, see the Debian Wiki article. Post a new thread if anything confuses you).

The reason for this is Don't Break Debian.

That said, I don't think there is anything that is off limits as far as creating a support thread for How To Install a specific piece of software. There are support threads here for everything from (off the top of my head) Infinality font rendering patches to Skype.

Note that even having stand-alone packages like Ubuntu fonts in our repo is bending pvsage's initial Bunsenlabs policy posting...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=424078

bunsenlabs     glasses     forum mod squad

#10 2015-08-08 08:28:18

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

For the most part, I'm with MsMattie.  I want a minimal system with a GUI.  I'll install the other things that I want on my own.  As MsMattie stated, when you remove packages that come as part of a distribution, you wonder what packages may have been left behind. 

The other packages (Chrome, TrueCrypt, and Calibre) are all fairly easy to self-install.  Chrome is downloadable as a deb from Google, TrueCrypt comes as a script (install by typing ./truecrypt-7.1a-setup-x## on the command line where ## represents the architecture).  I'm not sure about Calibre as I've never used it under Linux.  I use it under Windows.  I do know that it's in the repos, but the version in the Stable repos is fairly old.

Linux User #586672

#11 2015-08-08 15:00:47

MsMattie
#! Member

re: Calibre

On Crunchbang when I open up Calibre it will check every time for a new version. If there is one it will notify and give an option to go to a Calibre web page which has the full terminal command for updating to the most recent version. You just copy and paste. I have always done that update and in the several dozen times going to a newer version it has always worked. No busted system. Just newer and improved Calibre.

#12 2015-08-09 03:24:56

Temetka
#! CrunchBanger

Well this is all good info.

I missed the boat on #!, and am glad to be a part of the BL community. I didn't know what the "vision" of BL was when I arrived here, and have a much better idea. I like the idea of posting howto's for specific pieces of software that people might want to install, but are not included in the repos for various reasons. Once I get a bit more free time, I am going to tackle one of the more in depth pieces: SELinux / AppArmor. Most users won't use it, but there are a few people out there who might be interested and it will get me deeper into linux than I have been in the last few years.

#13 2015-08-09 13:31:11

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

^ Now that's an attitude we like to see. 

Most users won't use it, but there are a few people out there who might be interested

and for the few that do you'll make their day a bit brighter.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#14 2015-08-10 18:10:39

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Temetka wrote:

Well this is all good info.

I missed the boat on #!, and am glad to be a part of the BL community. I didn't know what the "vision" of BL was when I arrived here, and have a much better idea. I like the idea of posting howto's for specific pieces of software that people might want to install, but are not included in the repos for various reasons. Once I get a bit more free time, I am going to tackle one of the more in depth pieces: SELinux / AppArmor. Most users won't use it, but there are a few people out there who might be interested and it will get me deeper into linux than I have been in the last few years.

Best reply I have seen in a while to a turned down suggestion smile (might have missed some as I have been away a while, so please do not feel insulted big_smile Just thought I would compliment positivity!)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#15 2015-08-11 06:24:20

Temetka
#! CrunchBanger

Oh, I'm not insulted in the least. I have a very thick skin.

I totally understand why it won't be added. No big deal.

#16 2015-09-29 06:41:08

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

MsMattie wrote:

On Crunchbang when I open up Calibre it will check every time for a new version. If there is one it will notify and give an option to go to a Calibre web page which has the full terminal command for updating to the most recent version. You just copy and paste. I have always done that update and in the several dozen times going to a newer version it has always worked. No busted system. Just newer and improved Calibre.

Did you install Calibre from the Debian repos?  I did a few minutes ago; v2.5.0.  When I open Calibre, I'm not prompted about an update.

Edit:  Disregard...I figured it out.  For the benefit of others, there are download scripts on the Calibre site; www.calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-09-29 09:11:28)

Linux User #586672

Board footer