SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#3701 2015-05-03 16:11:54

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

pingu wrote:

^^^ubuntu, windows, same thing  devil

That's a bit harsh. If you said Android = Windows, I'd agree. Both have a penchant for slowing down over time and a reputation of contracting all sorts of bad jujuware. Ubuntu, on the other hand, I've never had major problems with. Sure, it's heavier than your average distro and they've made some rather confounding choices (like that Amazon lens thing), but I've never had any Ubuntu app ask if I want to install a "special toolbar" in my browser.

Last edited by gutterslob (2015-05-03 16:13:33)

Point & Squirt

Be excellent to each other!

#3702 2015-05-03 21:12:54

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@gutterslob:  I think the comment was in reference to some of the things Canonical has done in an effort to generate additional revenue.  On another note, I recently read that the Ubuntu devs are considering offering a version of Ubuntu in the future that doesn't use Debs.

Linux User #586672
"When you say, 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows,' people just stare at you blankly and say, 'Hey, I got those with the system, for free.' -- Linus Torvalds

#3703 2015-05-03 21:16:56

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

KrunchTime wrote:

@gutterslob:  I think the comment was in reference to some of the things Canonical has done in an effort to generate additional revenue.  On another note, I recently read that the Ubuntu devs are considering offering a version of Ubuntu in the future that doesn't use Debs.

Really? We have two major mature package management systems (rpm, dpkg) and some smaller but well-functioning (pacman, ...). Integrating the one with the other has always been a PITA. And now Canonical will come with their own ypm (Yet another Package Manager)? I just hope they do not re-invent the wheel again (Mir, anybody?) - I'm going to cheer for them though should they adopt nix!

Last edited by twoion (2015-05-03 21:18:03)

優雅に

#3704 2015-05-03 21:22:18

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@twoion:  I'll try to find the link and post back here with it.  It's an interesting read.

Here you go:  Is Ubuntu Moving Away from .debs?

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-05-03 21:33:14)

Linux User #586672
"When you say, 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows,' people just stare at you blankly and say, 'Hey, I got those with the system, for free.' -- Linus Torvalds

#3705 2015-05-03 22:04:04

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

KrunchTime wrote:

@twoion:  I'll try to find the link and post back here with it.  It's an interesting read.

Here you go:  Is Ubuntu Moving Away from .debs?

Thank you.

優雅に

#3706 2015-05-03 23:21:33

Sector11
Leonardo da Conci
Website

RE Snappy - found here:

Will it confuse users?

Not really. Canonical will be offering two editions of Ubuntu: one based on the traditional .deb-based desktop and the other based on Snappy.

Canonical will offer a traditional 16.04 Debian package edition and a Snappy desktop so users can choose whichever version they want. Since 16.04 will be LTS it will be critical for Canonical to not ‘touch’ the users who want to use the traditional desktop and at the same time offer an LTS release of Snappy to those who want to climb up the evolutionary ladder.

So those users who want the traditional desktop will be able to download it. And those who want security benefits and a much smoother, Android-like upgrade experience can migrate to the Snappy-based image.

Snappy users will also get more frequent updates to their applications, rather than waiting 6 months for the next Ubuntu release.

That's now but in the future?  I guess we'll all be 'plugged-in and tuned in/on'

#3707 2015-05-03 23:26:38

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@twoion:  You're welcome and Thank You for your efforts in the upcoming BunsenLabs Hydrogen distro.  wink

Linux User #586672

Board footer