SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#2276 2015-02-02 20:16:46

caieng
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Ideas for Janice

Sector11 wrote:

Edit ~/.config/vlc/vlcrc
Uncomment lines 3962 & 3965 and make sure both end "=1"
Don't touch the [Preferences] in VLC - simply edit the config file the old way - by hand.
And there you have it.

Thanks, Sector11, good stuff.

So, two excellent methods, both work, outstanding.  appreciate the help, but, remain persuaded that it nevertheless would be advantageous, for Janice, to enable the default setting to be single instance.  I suppose that it is just a matter of convenience, not a deal breaker.  However, for CrunchBang to displace a couple dozen other distros, and move up to number 3-5, where it should reside, in terms of functionality, speed, reliability, and ease of use, instead of number 23 as at present, then it will be necessary, in my opinion, to render the next version "idiot proof".  I don't think it demeans the distro to have as default settings, those characteristics found in Win XP.  Yes, it is distinctive, and unique, that CrunchBang permits the user to have multiple iterations of VLC by default, and I am sure that someone out there, really appreciates that feature. 

However, those coming from XP, will take one look at CrunchBang, and look sideways, as if to inquire, what am I doing here, upon learning that something as simple as changing radio stations cannot be accomplished with a single mouse click, as has been done effortlessly with XP, for fifteen years.  Yes, CrunchBang certainly does permit the user to accomplish this same, conventional, typical, expected behaviour, eventually, (using Sector 11's excellent advice, or pvsage's help), as found in XP, but why shouldn't it be the default, the user inquires?  What else, am I obliged to do with CrunchBang, that ought to be default?  That's when the distro drops from three, to twenty three.  IF the default settings of Janice, assume Linux literacy, instead of XP literacy, CrunchBang will remain niche.  Ask one of your friends or relatives, who  is not linux literate, to install Mint Cinnamon.  Effortless.  XP clone.

Those who know what is going on, can easily change the interface, to accommodate their particular needs.  It is much easier for them to degrade CrunchBang, to reduce the memory requirement, if that is deemed useful, and speed up the already speedy distribution, by eliminating all kinds of chaff, than it is for a novice to enable features considered "normal".  With Waldorf, I use 0.3 GB, so 3.6 GB are just sitting there, waiting for Godot.  Unix was invented in an era when memory was more precious than Gold. Today, memory is free.  Let's use it!!  Put the whole OS into memory on boot up.

Be excellent to each other!

#2277 2015-02-02 20:59:12

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

caieng wrote:

Thanks, Sector11, good stuff.

So, two excellent methods, both work, outstanding.  appreciate the help, but, remain persuaded that it nevertheless would be advantageous, for Janice, to enable the default setting to be single instance.  I suppose that it is just a matter of convenience, not a deal breaker.

I can't deny that.  It would be nice if the [Preferences] worked as advertised.

On the VLC support site it says the config file for UNIX/Linux is $HOME/.config/vlc/vlcrs - which does change when using [Preferences] in #!.  So it would be nice if those 'changes' stuck rather than fall back to a default.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#2278 2015-02-03 07:15:44

OttoH

I would love to see a Graphics driver installer like the ubuntu one.
With #! its just painful..
I mean in ubuntu I select the one which is recommendet and then reboot and done! Everything works.

#2279 2015-02-03 07:41:55

damo
#! gimpbanger

OttoH wrote:

I would love to see a Graphics driver installer like the ubuntu one.
With #! its just painful..
I mean in ubuntu I select the one which is recommendet and then reboot and done! Everything works.

sgfxi does the job fine for me smile

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#2280 2015-02-03 08:07:45

AnInkedSoul
#! CrunchBanger

knowing how to install needed things without a gui or script does the job for me...  big_smile

#2281 2015-02-03 16:02:14

IbsinRG

I'd actually like to implementation for Skype and Steam! Those are the 2 most programs I use, so it'd be really great to see those somehow in the #! 12

Board footer