SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#551 2014-12-20 10:14:31

nore
>2^9

Re: The Official #! Over-the-Hill-CrunchGang Thread

No, I was not pointing anything (or anyone), I simply try expand my vocabulary and am always happy to bump into new words and phrases. (I also have a nasty habit of misunderstanding in purpose.) I think you used the word just how it is meant.   lol

obstinatus: ob- in the way + -stinare (stare or stand)

Be excellent to each other!

#552 2014-12-20 12:45:28

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

vrkalak wrote:

I also, walk for an hour everyday.

But, then I have had 2 heart-attacks, a Stroke (last yr), PTSD (Vietnam) - I used to smoke for about 40 years.

** "If I had known, I was going to live this long - I would have taken better care of myself"   wink

No matter how bad we think we are there's someone else that comes along that make one feel better about things.
No heart attacks, no strokes, no PTSD of any sort.

PTSD (Vietnam) - you have my respect.  I can't even begin to imagine what you went through.

But as a side note anyone that helps developers with Xfce4 and hangs one of his hats here in the #! forums has to have an OK streak in him a mile wide.   wink

As to your final quote ... wisdom, in many cases, arrives too late to reap the full benefits!

#553 2014-12-20 13:25:42

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

pvsage wrote:
tknomanzr wrote:

And that folks is why there's nothing but computers running Crunchbang in this house.....

Same here, at least for the hardware under my control.  No TV, no "wireless device", just #! on a PC and RockBox on a personal media player.

I may be younger than you OHCGers, but I'd bet I'm more of a Luddite and curmudgeon than most. devil

Yup ... me to, one desktop, one distro, no smart phone, no smart TV ... no facebook or twitter or whatever other social networking system is out there.  I have "email" and a browser with no google either.

Luddite
      n 1: any opponent of technological progress
      2: one of the 19th century English workmen who destroyed
         laboursaving machinery that they thought would cause
         unemployment

OK, I'm not totally there ... but in somethings I see a "Big Brother" (1984) control issue or ripping away our privacy.

curmudgeon
      n 1: a crusty irascible cantankerous old person full of stubborn
           ideas

OK, do NOT teach my wife that word. She's claim it as my second name.  lol lol And I can be at times, although I think we all have a 'little' of that in us.  But I certainly see it in you - you old ... YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAA I'm outta here.  lol lol lol

@ pvsage - you know I was just kidding right? ... Right? ¡RIGHT! angel

@ nore what dictionary are you using?

#554 2014-12-20 13:28:21

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

pvsage wrote:

I simply meant obstinate. angel

There you go ... talking about me again.  lol lol lol

#555 2014-12-20 14:02:32

g33zr
#! Junkie

I haven't seen any data to confirm it, but perhaps curmudgeon /cantankerous is in the genes? I recall when I turned 50, my wife commented about my becoming more like my dad. I replied, "What will you do when I'm really an cantankerous old fart?"

"You already are," she answered.  sad

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens. Curly Howard lol

OHCG | LXer | smxi

#556 2014-12-20 15:54:10

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

A Cape Bretoner once said:

Always be who you is,
never be who you isn't,
'Cuz if you is who you isn't,
you isn't who you is.

so I looked in a mirror and said: OH CRAP! You OLD!  lol  lol

@ g33zr - don't believe her ... she may be right but don't believe her anyway.  big_smile

#557 2014-12-20 17:34:02

nore
>2^9

Sector11 wrote:

For english I've got three printed finnish-english-finnish dictionaries: a compact rucksack sized from 70's, a (big) pocket sized from 90's and a big toe crusher in two volumes from 2010. It even knows words like con-tank Eros. Online, it's usually Merriam-Webster I trust. Wiktionary is sometimes good for cross language lookups. I use Google translator to check words I already know as well as quick translation in european languages when I would have to guess most of the meaning.

#558 2014-12-20 17:43:25

damo
#! gimpbanger

@nore, and all the other non-English-as-a-first-language crunchbangers

Huge kudos to you all: many of you write better English than the English (who rarely bother to try to learn another language, because you are so good at it!)

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

#559 2014-12-20 18:30:56

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

nore wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

For english I've got three printed finnish-english-finnish dictionaries: a compact rucksack sized from 70's, a (big) pocket sized from 90's and a big toe crusher in two volumes from 2010. It even knows words like con-tank Eros. Online, it's usually Merriam-Webster I trust. Wiktionary is sometimes good for cross language lookups. I use Google translator to check words I already know as well as quick translation in european languages when I would have to guess most of the meaning.

WOW!  that's awesome.  There doesn't seem to me any Finnish-English-Finnish dictionaries in the repos.  Why was I thinking Norwegian ... but then, none for that language combo either.

I have two passions with Linux - conky roll and dictionaries.  I installed a bunch locally and run them in a terminal.  Then there is "artha" a nice GUI Thesaurus using the wordnet database ... it goes a bit beyond the cli version using the same wordnet database.  Obviously online translators for phrases and such.
2014_12_20_15_16_24_1920x1080_Sector11.jpg
That bottom one is a bash script Spanish-English dictionary - 100% editable and has limited English-Spanish functions.

damo wrote:

@nore, and all the other non-English-as-a-first-language crunchbangers

Huge kudos to you all: many of you write better English than the English (who rarely bother to try to learn another language, because you are so good at it!)

So sad ... but in many case so true.  I think it's why I try to bend over backwards helping non-native English speakers that have problems expressing themselves.  They are using English online translators at times ... so I do the same.

And for as long as I have been here, to my shame, I'm still not 100% with castellano.  sad

Board footer