SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#776 2014-06-08 14:55:28

xpovos

Re: Why do you use #!Crunchbang

I have driven a long way for getting here...

I came to France as a student almost three years ago. I took a notebook knowing it couldn't handle new and shining OS's. W7 ran slowly but well for a while, it was OK.

Then, last year, my notebook began to run really, really slow. Being a student in a foreing country means little money for things like technology. So, I came to Linux for the second time of my life (the first time was centuries ago, with Mandriva, when XP was quite new). After a little survey with my friends, I met Mint. I tried Mate, but it was slow and ugly. Then tried XFCE. I felt in love with the possibilities of XFCE and the stability of Mint.

After three years at the university, I finally got my Licence, so I looked for a Master degree and found something involving language teaching and technology. So, I thought to buy a new computer. Fortunately, I got an "old" gamer's computer for free (NVIDIA video card, 4 cores processor, 4GB RAM) and could install something more exigent. I installed Ubuntu, but didn't love. Fedora, neither. OpenSUSE, negative. I think it was because neither Gnome 3 convince me nor Unity did. KDE is too W for my taste. XFCE is great, but I just wanted to change. Then, I discovered Elementary OS. It's like Mac, but a little different. I decided to keep it for my new desktop computer, even if customization is difficult.

For my little notebook, I thought to keep Mint with XFCE. But then I just got bored with the noise about Clem's distro. The -buntu distros just bored me. So I decided to look for a more advanced light distro with more customization possibilities and, important, Debian based (for recycling my previous learnings). That's when I found #! and felt in love with the flexibilit I was looking for.

A good thing of #! is the self-install of the Apache and MySQL servers. I think I could replace someday eOS with #! on my desktop computer.

Last edited by xpovos (2014-06-08 14:56:57)

χρόνος ουράνιδα
ὁ χρόνος ιδικός μου

#! and eOS

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#777 2014-07-14 10:35:01

TheWyrm

Been working in IT nearly 10 years, Linux has always fascinated me but I never tried it other that a quick few shots of Ubuntu.
I decided to go ahead and dive in when I managed to snag a HP 2133 Mini-Note cheap from Ebay.

Then came the hell, I must have gone through 10 different OS's but none seemed to work properly or just didn't support my netbook well. Then took a chance and installed Crunchbang and OMG best choice I've made in ages it worked perfectly. I'm still getting to full grips with it but diving into its myriad of functions has only gotten me more and more interested and I'm learning so much about Linux in the process. I will never trust any Linux OS more than Crunchbang now smile

#! <3

Last edited by TheWyrm (2014-07-14 10:36:12)

HP 2133 Mini-Note Netbook: Thank you Crunchbang for giving me a new lease on life to be useful once again!

#778 2014-08-08 21:51:27

aldoiljazi
Website

It's quite simple for me. I wanted something Debian or Debian-based but minimal and beautiful. Well crunchbang was it. smile

#779 2014-08-09 10:20:10

rupio1979

wanted a light debian distro for an old laptop, never used linux in my life but debian was advised...
so after some searching I came to #!
and it feels like i'm home

#780 2014-09-28 09:11:35

dottornomade
Website

I stubled upon this distro while searching for a light (but efficient) one for my old, tired notebook. (This notebook was with me in 20+ countries I crossed in the last two years and I just did not want to trash it just because even Lubuntu started to be very slow.) Well, guess what? With CrunchBang it just raised from its grave and it's now as good as new! I'm not a Linux expert, by I found it quite easy to manage. Now we're ready for more travels!

#781 2014-10-04 03:39:53

m1rr0r5h4d35
#! Member

Many, many years ago in the late 90's I was introduced to Linux by some friends. At first, it was a little tough, but with some tenacity and help from good friends I started learning my way around. Back in those days, it was Red Hat 5.0, I think, and I do mean Red Hat, not RHEL or Fedora. This was around 1998 -ish.

I very soon found Mandrake, which was very much the Ubuntu of it's day. It ran well on my Pentium II with 64 MB RAM and 10 GB HDD. After a few releases, I felt like it was becoming bloated, and not running as well on my rapidly aging hardware. Most of my aforementioned friends at the time became disheartened by Red Hat's performance and quality control and abandoned it for Debian around 2000 or so. At that time, I knew little of other distros, and instead of following suit with my friends, I felt like I had learned enough about the system to strike out on my own and find the right distribution for me. After a few days of poking around the internet, I found a Linux distribution called Icepack Linux. It was great for about a week, and then the project just died. Not to be deterred, I continued with my search until I found what I was looking for - Slackware.

I ran Slackware from about 2003 until about 2007. During that stretch of time, I had a lot of changes happening in my life, and Slackware served me well. I became curious by all the talk about Ubuntu I had been hearing, so I distro hopped for about a year, just learning about all the changes that had been going on in the Linux world. Ultimately, I think their will always be some Slack code running in my heart, but as I get older I don't have the time to invest in it like I use to. I have always loved the minimalist approach, and use to run Blackbox all the time on Mandrake. #! just appeals to my sense of style, my need for performance and open architecture as well as my need for (at times) low maintenance.

Thanks for your time!

#782 2014-10-05 21:49:38

Onagrino
Website

WELL... If you understand the meaning of my signature, you will understand too why I write a two-language post  wink
==================
FR:  Je  viens juste de rejoindre un club "libre-GNU-Linux", je n'aime pas les tablettes sous Android, je voulais utiliser mon vieux "netbook" Acer (8 GO de ssd pour le système). L'animateur du club m'a conseillé CrunchBang, et je l'ai tout de suite adoré. Rien d'inutile, mais tout fonctionne bien. (Mon premier ordi était un ZX81, le second un TO7 Thomson, et ensuite j'ai suivi l'évolution depuis les années 90)
-------------------------
EN:  I just joined a Gnu-Linux club, and, as I don't appreciate Tablets with Android, I wanted to use my old netbook Acer (only a SSD 8 GO for the system). The leader of the club recommended CrunchBang, and I loved it immediatly: nothing in it is unnecessary, but everything runs well! (M first computer was a ZX81, the second one a TO7 Thomson, and after that... I followed the evolution, from the 90s)
------------------------
PS: I know, I know:  there are much more people who can use english (as a so-called "international language"), than people who can use esperanto. Why? Because english is taught in almost all the schools, and esperanto not...
But I think that people could use their own language too.
  cool   tongue

Comme Gnu-Linux et le logiciel libre sont essentiels à la liberté, l'efficacité la justice... une langue a-nationale performante est essentielle à la communication internationale. L'esperanto est à l'anglais ce que le Libre est à Microsoft et Cie
-----  Let's change the "Linguistic T.I.N.A" which makes Terriens inequals. Let's promote, then use the equitable language "esperanto"

#783 2014-10-07 12:18:41

ManuDS

Oh, how i`ve missed you, Crunchbang.  I am reinstalling you today, once again, after 2 months of bloathed desktops, icons, wifi card not being recognized, web browser freezing (go to hell, Chromium), sound coming out of the laptop speakers instead of HDMI, Arch fanboys giving me hell, long boot times, long reaction times, and many other things i just want to forget.

Sorry for leaving you Crunchbang.  Tonight, i am home.

Last edited by ManuDS (2014-10-07 12:19:32)

Lawyer, linux noob.

#784 2014-10-07 16:24:13

seraphtrend
#! Member

Crunchbang is that operating system you were looking for when XP expired and Macs were too expensive for your work load. It's also that operating system you needed when you found out Windows 8 was an abomination from Gehenna. It's that operating system you needed when viruses ate your laptop and somebody stole your banking information from a website. Crunchbang is the operating system you want because it looks cool, works all the time and doesn't break when you need it the most.

#785 2014-10-12 11:25:09

saranya

I was looking for an OS to support my old desktop in our drawing room to do simple admin work. Ubuntu was flashy but, crashed many times. Then I decided that I needed an OS which did the following things without fuss:
1)word/spreadsheet etc. 2)stable browsing 3) simple media player to play videos  4)truly light weight distro which shows some mercy on RAM and is quick. 5) And an OS which doesnt crash 10 times in 10 daysssssss.
I read review of many distros... tried a few.... finally installed crunchbang. Its really simple, neat and works really well.

Thanks  smile

#786 2014-10-27 13:49:27

g33zr
#! Junkie

@ManusDS: I hear you, man! I've done a lot of distrohopping since I began to use Linux, but #! is home. No matter what distro I tried, there was always something that didn't work or didn't quite work to my liking. Of course, Linux is about choice and there are plenty of really great Linux distros to choose from.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but among the many reasons why I love and use #! are its simplicity, functionality, and stability. Corenominal is a genius.  big_smile

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens. Curly Howard lol

OHCG | LXer

#787 2014-10-27 14:26:37

TicTac
#! CrunchBanger

I've read descriptive words such as "minimal", "lightweight" with regard to #! for years. I'm truly not sure what those words mean anymore nor do I believe #! "forces" anyone to learn and use terminal. Quite honestly, doing ANYTHING by terminal bores the hell out of me and if at all possible, I avoid it like a nasty case of Ebola.

To me, #! is an open artistic canvas. With the stability of Debian, the plasticity of Openbox and menu access to scripts... I'm able to completely change the look and feel of my systems to suit my mood in minutes.

I'm NOT artistic, can't even sign my name the same way twice but #! makes me feel as though I am AND THAT'S what makes it different to me.    cool

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#788 2014-11-04 17:30:25

kewkie

Well, back in the days i was distro hopping all day long.. every day.. for months.

Now, i had to RMA my main laptop back to MSI since some hardware is broken (HDD, Optical drive, LED's on the left side of my keyboard). Having an pretty old laptop here (Samsung R610) with windows on it.. first start was like.. wtf is this? Downloaded Crunchbang, installed it.. now the post install script is working on the background and i start using crunchbang on this laptop till i get my main laptop back smile

#789 2014-11-17 04:59:34

dexter

I have been a Mac user for years, love the design etc etc. I also love seeing whats the underlying framework and how the engine works. I thought it would be reasonable to start with a compact distro so I can see most of whats in front of me. If I went with some GUI loving distro like Ubuntu  ( just to name one ) not only would the GUI turn me off but fear of being overwhelmed is present.

I hope to learn many things and have fun with it. I hope to learn more firewall and net traffic type stuff - see I don't even know the words yet. smile

I choose #! based off of this forum, the screenshots, write-ups... this is my first Linux experience.

I will use this as a secondary system, my Macbook Pro is for all my photo editing and spreadsheet, writing work.

Cheers

#790 2014-11-17 07:52:38

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Thank you for sharing your experience, dexter, and welcome to Linux, CrunchBang, and the great community here.  I like the MacBook Pro laptop as well, but the necessity to dual-boot to fully use it turns me off.  I'm not interested in dual-booting.  I want to use Linux for most of my tasks.  I currently run Windows 7 in VirtualBox for those few things that either I'm unable to do in Linux, or haven't discovered how to do.  I find myself using Windows very infrequently since learning how to properly install it in VirtualBox.  If I wasn't so obsessive-compulsive about keeping Windows up-to-date, I would use it even less.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2014-11-17 07:53:02)

#791 2014-11-17 17:48:21

dexter

Hey Krunchtime,

I haven't even tried yet to dual-boot. I didn't want to risk not having the computer available for work. So I grabbed a Lenovo and did a install on that. No sharing tongue

#792 Yesterday 00:18:03

PersonaNonGrata

I always used preinstalled operating systems on my computers (MS-DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 98 and Windows XP) and the truth is that they gave me what I needed, but one day I met Linux...

My first experience with this operating system (Red Hat) was in numerical calculus classes, when I had to use GCC to compile FORTRAN programs. I remember the teacher explained us how to install it on our computers and certainly it seemed very difficult. Furthermore, there was no guarantee that the computer worked fine after the installation, so I did not try. Anyway, there began to itch the itch.

So years later, when my laptop started going slow again, as usual in Windows in that age, and I was preparing to reinstall the system, I thought it was a good time to try a Linux distribution. My first choice was Debian but I could not run my wireless network. I kept looking and found Ubuntu, which worked really well. Then, I decided to dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu, at least to be viewed more closely.

Over time I became less Windows-dependent to the point of wanting to do a clean installation of Linux. I liked Ubuntu and I was reading about LXDE (perfect to my laptop, which was becoming old), so I tried Lubuntu. For a while it worked fine but with new versions became slow again. Then I thought to give another chance to Debian but the problem with the wireless network persisted. Maybe I am a bit clumsy...

At that time I looked for information on small Linux distributions and found CrunchBang. At first I thought it would be very simple aesthetics and would have few applications available but soon I could see that I was mistaken. I have been trying it for a couple of weeks and I must say I am very satisfied with its performance (even faster than the original Windows XP), although I have to solve some problems with the audio in the browser and with the USB connection with my Android phone.

In general, I use CrunchBang because I like its looks and it gives me what I need and does so in a very fast way.

Last edited by PersonaNonGrata (Yesterday 00:25:22)

Nihil est in intellectu quod prius non fuerit in sensu... Nisi intellectus ipse.

#793 Yesterday 06:22:52

Bearded_Blunder
#! CrunchBanger

Because I'm not clever enough to make Gentoo like #!  monkey

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...

Board footer