SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#251 2014-03-31 05:27:50

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

Re: Crunchbang/Fluxbox

I am, one of the Debian-Maintainer for Fluxbox package.

Debian-Wiki page for Fluxbox  >  https://wiki.debian.org/FluxBox

This page works me.  smile

Registered Linux User: #497030
my DeviantART page
-- #!Crunchbang- Sid "Animal"  (Fluxbox) -- LMDE Fluxbox Edition -- Manjaro-Fluxbox --

Be excellent to each other!

#252 2014-10-31 09:38:26

farinet
#! Junkie

Hi. I hope it's correct to attach my flubox question to this thread.

Following the instructions in the beginning of this thread i managed to get a nice, working setup rebuilding/copying the crunchbang settings (but with a rolling release based on siduction. Anyway ... if you'd like i could paste a screenshot).

My question now is: How do i manage the settings (in /home/$User/.fluxbox/init i presume) to get in the toolbar (iconbar) all 4 workingspaces present, but separated and  *showing* the numbers - but not the word "workspace", i.e. 1 thru 4 (i saw in an example of vrkalak a similar setup)?  In that way i'd have a perfect overview which programs are running and in which workspace.

Actually my setting is that minimized windows got to all (which also shows in a glance all minimized windows but not in which workspace they are sitting).

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!

Last edited by farinet (2014-10-31 09:43:12)

#253 2014-10-31 15:30:24

PackRat
#! Die Hard

To rename your workspaces, look for this line in the $HOME/.fluxbox/init file -

session.screen0.workspaceNames:	1 , 2 ,

comma separated list of names.

if you want to see all the open windows on all your spaces, look for this line:

session.screen0.iconbar.mode:	{static groups} (workspace)

and change to:

session.screen0.iconbar.mode:	{static groups}

You can usually find these options in the: Fluxbox Menu > Configure >
You can then select Workspaces to rename them, or Toolbar > IconBar Mode for the iconbar.

I'm not aware of a way to show multiple workspaces on the native fluxbox toolbar - you may have been looking at fluxbox using tint2 as the toolbar.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce tribe

#254 2014-10-31 17:47:17

farinet
#! Junkie

PackRat wrote:

I'm not aware of a way to show multiple workspaces on the native fluxbox toolbar - you may have been looking at fluxbox using tint2 as the toolbar.

Ah, ok i understand. That's possible ...

As for the rest, thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Renaming "workspace 1" to "1" does not make so much sense (at least for me).

If i set

session.screen0.iconbar.mode:	{static groups} (workspace)

to

session.screen0.iconbar.mode:	{static groups}

(1) the topmost window (the active one) is not anymore highlighted. I used this setting but in the end it was not really so useful.

Sincerely, i hoped in some trick to be able to have in the (fluxbox) panel all 4 workspaces with the respective windows in them.

In any case, the longer i work with fluxbox the more i discover its intrinsecal power big_smile

-----
1) This can be done also in the (rightclick) Fluxbox menu > Configuration > Toolbar > Iconbar , isn't it?

Last edited by farinet (2014-10-31 18:04:30)

#255 2014-10-31 19:07:56

PackRat
#! Die Hard

1) This can be done also in the (rightclick) Fluxbox menu > Configuration > Toolbar > Iconbar , isn't it?

Yes. Most of what you're trying to do is accessible from the fluxbox configuration menus.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce tribe

#256 2014-11-01 00:01:28

farinet
#! Junkie

Just two other questions:

1) Probably very simple - for me it's may be rather a linguistical problem (since i'm not native english): What does exactly bevel - in the fluxbox styling settings - mean? And, whereto it is referred?

2) More complicate for sure: What's a good program to build a right click menu? I followed the advice of the ArchWiki site and use(d) mmaker. But obviously, it would be nicer to have some tool which adapts the menu dynamically. I've to run mmaker "by hand", from time to time to get the menu up-to-date (

mmaker -i -c -t Xterm --no-legacy --no-debian fluxbox

and then cut&paste the output to the menu file).

Something like obmenu-generator (which is for Openbox) eventually?

TIA for your patience big_smile

Last edited by farinet (2014-11-01 07:24:36)

#257 2014-11-01 12:41:58

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

1) "Bevel" refers to the corners and edges of the windows -- in carpentry & stonework it is described as "a slope from the horizontal or vertical; a sloping surface or edge" smile
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin … lish/bevel

If you want a good answer ask a good question
Do you have an XY Problem
The Help Vampire
Using Debian

#258 2014-11-01 15:38:19

farinet
#! Junkie

Thanks for the reply. I think i got it ... wink

#259 2014-11-01 15:51:58

PackRat
#! Die Hard

Bevel is an option to put an edge around the borders the taskbar, menu, iconbar etc ... If you use a sunken or raised texture, it will enhance the 3D look. The various bevels are defined in the theme.cfg file for the fluxbox style (theme) you are using. Get all the fluxbox style details with -

man fluxbox-style

The various centurion styles make use of bevel if you want a visual.

There are some third-party python and perl scripts that will build a fluxbox menu for you; fluxMenu.py seems to be popular, but I have never used it.

The fluxbox menu ($HOME/.fluxbox/menu) is pretty easy to edit or create; it auto updates after editing.

man fluxbox-menu

Last edited by PackRat (2014-11-01 16:22:17)

Board footer