SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-10-09 00:48:39

aenemic

Re: Crunchbang on Macbook Pro

Finally, up and running on #!, I had to manually install the .deb for linux-headers, after that i reinstalled the broadcom sta, and now its working.

Running noveou drivers for now, seems to be running hot. But dont want to tinker to much atm.

The screen is awesome, but the scale is way to big. Would you recommend the same DPI settings for me Chris? Or should I use different ones since its a differnet monitor?

Also, yes, the wifi is working, but I dont have a tray icon for it.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2013-10-10 15:35:04

rwsChris

Hi aenemic,

I wish I knew about the DPI setting for the Retina display, but I'm not sure. You may like to do some googling and see what turns up. Here's just an example of some folks on an ubuntu forum fiddling with the DPI values. You're mileage may vary, of course.

Glad to see you are up and running!

--Chris

#28 2013-10-10 20:26:00

Frostlock

Great news :-)
It took you some hard work but you got there, enjoy the new #!  big_smile

-Frost

Last edited by Frostlock (2013-10-12 11:58:34)

#29 2013-11-01 12:02:52

Sonny

Frostlock wrote:

Strange, I can report that my install went relatively smooth. I didn’t notice anything specific that crunchbang waldorf required. Here is a short write-up of what I did to get to a dual boot, including a few hiccups along the way:

1 - Making room for crunchbang
I shrinked my Mac partition to about 75GB with about 175GB available for a new crunchbang install. Relatively easy to do by booting into OS X and shrinking the OS X partition using the OS X disc tool.
I was off to a bad start here. I’m not sure why but I actually had my Macbook hang at the end of the operation leaving a bit of a mess. Running disk repair from OS X didn’t help. I had to reboot via the Mac install CD and run disk repair after which everything was as it should be. My guess is this is a glitch in the OS X disk utility: not pleasant but not related to crunchbang.

2 - Install an EFI bootloader
The boot process of the Mac is quite specific, you need a specific bootloader to boot something else than OS X. I went with rEFIt. Download and install it while in OS X. Afterward you’ll notice a shiny new menu while booting. It is a while ago but I can't remember any difficulty setting this up.
(sorry rwsChris :-) not a terrible time for me, one tricky bit after the install of Grub, check below)

3 - Install Walldorf
Get the latest Waldorf image and burn it to a disc. Convincing the MacBook to boot from cd is easy by holding the ‘c’ key during the boot process. Go through the installation, there is two things to pay attention to

• Go for manual partitioning: I used 12GB for /, 4GB for swap and then about 50GB for home. On the partition for / I set the bootable flag to on.

• Installing Grub: After installing #! the installer will ask where to install Grub. I installed it on /dev/sda which is the master boot of the disc.

4 Reboot, run rEFIt partition tool & reboot
You’ll notice that refit now shows you a nice tux pinguin next to the OS X apple. If you try booting the new Walldorf install you will run into an error. My machine said “No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key” Oops :-)
Not to worry, reboot the system and in the refit menu select the option “Start Partitioning Tool” this enables rEFIt to properly detect the newly installed crunchbang system. It will propose to rewrite the MBR partition table, hit “y” to accept. At this point reboot your system again (rEFIt needs to reload the partition table).
Select our friend tux again and you should see a Grub loading screen which will boot you into crunchBang.

You should now have a dual boot system.

Edit: a few posts lower you'll find some pointers by rwsChris on how to set up Nvidia drivers.

Thank you so much for this post! I was getting worried that I had done something wrong because when I booted the drive, it said no bootable device, and I had to re-install so many times!

I <3 #!

#30 2013-11-27 22:51:03

swansonaudio

Hey, first of all, I'm glad this thread exists! I've been following the steps laid out early on in the thread, but I've hit a snag and I'm hoping someone can help. smile

I got my OSX partition resized (leaving 80GB for #!), installed rEFIt, burned the latest #! release to a bootable disc, and then... as I booted onto the disc and selected the Live boot option...
MF67ho3.jpg

If I understand correctly, nouveau is a graphics driver, right? What is this PRAMIN flush timeout? My computer gets stuck at this point. hmm Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: By hitting TAB on the bootloader and adding " nomodeset", I made it onto the desktop of the Live Session. After being satisfied that it was functional, I rebooted and chose Install. I got it successfully installed and now I'm getting the same timeout. So I've got the same issue at a different point. And hitting TAB on the GRUB screen doesn't offer the same option as the Live bootloader, so I'm kind of scratching my head.

EDIT 2: After some trial and error and some digging on Google, I got it figured out. I'm up and running with #! (hooray!). This thread made it happen, so thanks. big_smile Now to figure out the trackpad....

Last edited by swansonaudio (2013-11-28 01:45:07)

#31 2013-11-28 21:55:31

rwsChris

Hi, swansonaudio, glad you got everything working. Maybe  you could post a link or a brief description of what you did to correct your problem, just in case someone else runs into a similar problem.

#32 2013-12-03 02:45:39

I7IZI

Hi all! I'm just curious to know if you are booting the 32 or 64 bit #!? I have a Macbook 6,1 with Snow Leopard, I know that it's 64 bit capable, but I am wondering if any of you would advise installing the 32 bit over the 64 bit version? Also I recently installed #! on my desktop and love it! Thanks for your advise!

#33 2013-12-03 04:07:56

rwsChris

You can install either 32-bit or 64-bit. There are probably better resources out there that could explain the pros and cons of installing the different varieties. Generally, the rule of thumb I use is if you have 4 GB of RAM or more, install 64-bit. If you have less than 4 GB, install 32-bit. Others may have other recommendations.

There are also some programs that use 32-bit libraries, e.g., Steam. You can, of course, enable multiarch in a 64-bit installation. So it's not a problem, but it will involve a few tweaks here and there before those programs will run.

I have 64-bit on my MBR 7,1 and it works just fine.

#34 2013-12-03 16:36:03

swansonaudio

rwsChris wrote:

Hi, swansonaudio, glad you got everything working. Maybe  you could post a link or a brief description of what you did to correct your problem, just in case someone else runs into a similar problem.

My solution isn't elegant or even a real fix, truthfully, but it gets the job done.

When GRUB comes up, I strike 'e' to enter the edit mode for boot parameters. There's a line near the bottom that determines what the splash boot screen does. Mine ended with the word 'quiet', to which I added ' nomodeset'. Ctrl-X to boot the modified boot sequence and it works!

I'm sure there is a way to make that a permanent change, but I still need to do some digging to find out where that file is. smile

#35 2014-01-30 21:10:38

Cosmo

I decided to install Crunchbang as dual boot after trying it out in virtualbox for a while. I followed frostlocks guide and it went really well (thanks!). However I used refind as a boot manager and the 'partition tool' option doesn't show up automatically with refind and I got the 'no bootable device'-message as I was trying to start !# for the first time.

After reading the Refind instruction I found that you can add this option by:

'In addition to installing the program, you must edit refind.conf, uncomment the showtools line, and add gptsync to its list of options.'
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html#addons

After that it has been working fine.

Last edited by Cosmo (2014-01-30 21:12:10)

#36 2014-05-17 09:12:02

epar

For future reference.

I had a bit of a fight installing #! with Refind on an old iMac today. Most of the guides online use Refit, but just as the OP I decided that I really wanted to go with Refind since Refit isn't being maintained anymore and Refind should be able to do native EFI booting. It took me a while, but following the instructions in the OP's post I got OS X and #! to dual boot without the need for GRUB.

It's gotten even easier than when this was originally posted. Basically follow steps 1, 2, 3, and 4 from the updated post OP linked to (http://randomtutor.blogspot.com/2014/01 … ro_19.html). Make sure to install Refind with the --alldrivers option, and substitute all the Ubuntu stuff for #!. Install #! without GRUB and restart your computer and Refind should automagically find #! and recognize it as a Debian distro!

I'm testing #! now, but everything seems to be working perfectly.

#37 2014-07-10 13:22:12

odim

epar wrote:

For future reference.

I had a bit of a fight installing #! with Refind on an old iMac today. Most of the guides online use Refit, but just as the OP I decided that I really wanted to go with Refind since Refit isn't being maintained anymore and Refind should be able to do native EFI booting. It took me a while, but following the instructions in the OP's post I got OS X and #! to dual boot without the need for GRUB.

It's gotten even easier than when this was originally posted. Basically follow steps 1, 2, 3, and 4 from the updated post OP linked to (http://randomtutor.blogspot.com/2014/01 … ro_19.html). Make sure to install Refind with the --alldrivers option, and substitute all the Ubuntu stuff for #!. Install #! without GRUB and restart your computer and Refind should automagically find #! and recognize it as a Debian distro!

I'm testing #! now, but everything seems to be working perfectly.

Hi , I am new in this forum. I have followed the above tutorial to install Ubuntu 14.04 in my Macbook. As said in the tutorial , I have run the command "ubiquity -b" to install Ubuntu without GRUB. Now, I would like to replace Ubuntu with #! .

I am wondering how can I install Crunchbang without GRUB . Is there any command like "ubiquity -b" which I could run from the terminal, once i booted from the Live CD? Can you please advise?

Thanks

Last edited by odim (2014-07-10 13:23:02)

#38 2014-07-14 15:15:13

rwsChris

Hi odim,

I have not checked this recently, but I believe you need to install #! from the original installation menu on boot. I don't remember if there is a way to install from within the Live Session.

While you are in the installation process, I believe when you get to the grub question, you may advance without specifying anything at all. You may also be able to hit the back button and then select from list of steps the step after grub and, as a result, skip it.

Sorry for the vagueness of this response. I haven't been through the installation in awhile now.

--chris

#39 2014-07-20 14:58:13

odim

rwsChris wrote:

Hi odim,

I have not checked this recently, but I believe you need to install #! from the original installation menu on boot. I don't remember if there is a way to install from within the Live Session.

While you are in the installation process, I believe when you get to the grub question, you may advance without specifying anything at all. You may also be able to hit the back button and then select from list of steps the step after grub and, as a result, skip it.

Sorry for the vagueness of this response. I haven't been through the installation in awhile now.

--chris

Thanks a mil, Chris

Will try this and update ...

Regards

#40 Yesterday 09:10:50

nodje

I've been following the original Frostlock post without any problem for a double boot install on an elderly Macbook1,1.

Then I went on Cosmo tips since I'm using refind (0.8.3) and not rEFIt, but it didn't seem to be working for me :

when I try to boot after uncommenting the showtools line in refind.conf, I've got one more menu icon for the options, but clicking on it wouldn't do anything: it would say "Tables are synchronized, no need to sync" and just below in yellow an error "Error: Not found returned from gptsync_ia32.efi"
Apparently refind cannot detect the newly installed crunchbang system, I don't quite get the error there.

Looking at odim comment, I tried to reinstall refind with the --alldrivers option and it did the trick: at the next reboot I ended up with an option for OsX, Debian, and a Linux that goes to the "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key” message.
So refind with the  drivrrs is able to directly detect the Crunchbang install and doesn't need to go through Grub.

Now I can remove the showtools line in refind.conf, but how do I get rid of the linux pinguin entry , how do I get rid of Grub?

I'm having a hard time understanding what's going on in the MBR: is it possible to remove the Grub entry in the MBR?
What tool could I use to visualize what's in the MBR and to modify it?

cheers

Last edited by nodje (Yesterday 09:40:26)

#41 Today 02:21:48

asl

thanks to earlier posters for explaining how to dual-boot clearly. I tried this several months ago, actually, using rEFIt and it didn't work. I had installed cruncbang after partition the disk in Disk Utility but the #! os didn't appear as an option.

This time, I used rEFInd and had a bootable CD. It took several restarts after installing rEFInd and the CD didnt't work the first time but after restarting, things ran relatively smoothly. I now have a late 2008 white macbook with Mac OS X 10.6.8 and #!

nodje, sorry I don't have an answer for you.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines" -- RWE

#42 Today 02:39:36

nodje

Actually, I've started to realise that I'd probably need Grub to pass in some kernel options at boot time.

Is there another way to enable kernel option at boot time?
If not then I'd rather have a working Grub, which for now doesn't seem possible with refind.

help welcome!

Board footer