SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-07-21 06:38:33

intoCB
Scatweasel

Re: The System76 laptop saga (continued)

Sonic Youth went to Geffen because they came to the conclusion that the indie labels had the same problems as the major labels but without the money.

♪ Debian, soon in the morning ♪

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2014-07-21 15:36:04

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

browhunt wrote:

OH BTW2
I have received an email from System76 asking me to review their tech support and my overall System76 experience. Some people just want to get hit in the face with a baseball bat.

That's gonna be fun.

lol  lol  lol  lol - Let 'The Phoenix' fly straight and true!

You could always point them to your two threads ... Ooooooooo BAD!

But you could use most of your posts here in response.

#28 2014-07-24 01:49:42

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Geezer wrote:

My currently car is 15 years old and still runs great.  lol

That's phenomenal...my hat off to you.

DonVukodlak wrote:

Get a ThinkPad. They are legendary, last long, and cheap. A good choice is any of the X line.

My wife just got a ThinkPad as a company laptop.  I played around with it...I'm under-impressed.  The trackpad feels really cheap as does the keyboard.  Just two more reasons for me to never even consider one.  I will not state my main reason for not buying one as I may possibly offend some member(s) of the forum.

Sector11 wrote:

A laptop that will never move off my computer desk doesn't make much sense.

Even if you never move it off of your desk, they still take up much less space than a desktop.  I've thought about getting an all-in-one for use in my office, but started having doubts when I think about the space they take up.

browhunt wrote:

I like Lenovo a lot, but Toshiba is a definite love story. The repair store where I have brought my laptop has homemade stats about the probability of needing to get your laptop repaired within X years and Toshiba was second best (0.1% away from Asus, yeah) , with Lenovo in 4th or 5th position I think. It's probably too small of a sample size, but I still like those numbers.

I've been very satisfied with Dell laptops and I have a 12-inch ASUS laptop that I really like.  The ASUS plays better with Linux as it has an Intel graphics chip.  My Dell has an AMD chip...not always friendly with Linux or anything else that runs live.  I have a Windows-based utility that runs from a USB thumb drive and if I boot up with that on my Dell, the fan constantly runs.

browhunt wrote:

OH BTW2
I have received an email from System76 asking me to review their tech support and my overall System76 experience. Some people just want to get hit in the face with a baseball bat.

That's gonna be fun.

lol  lol

#29 2014-07-24 02:08:53

CSCoder4ever
#! Keyboard Troll

KrunchTime wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Even if you never move it off of your desk, they still take up much less space than a desktop.

Maybe so, but the Silverstone SG05 takes up very little space itself. besides the fact that it's just soo darn good looking!  lol

that, and laptops just cannot offer the same power a desktop can. not to be confused with offering enough power however  wink

and to add to that, most desktops these days have been designed to placed on the floor, I don't quite agree with that myself but it's what' evs.  tongue

Last edited by CSCoder4ever (2014-07-24 02:09:56)

#30 2014-07-24 02:25:28

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

CSCoder4ever wrote:
KrunchTime wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Even if you never move it off of your desk, they still take up much less space than a desktop.

Maybe so, but the Silverstone SG05 takes up very little space itself. besides the fact that it's just soo darn good looking!  lol

that, and laptops just cannot offer the same power a desktop can. not to be confused with offering enough power however  wink

and to add to that, most desktops these days have been designed to placed on the floor, I don't quite agree with that myself but it's what' evs.  tongue

But that's not the whole system.  You still have to add a monitor, keyboard, mouse...it all takes up a bit of desktop space.  Good looking?  I think the Mac mini is much better looking and takes up even less space.

Power...okay, but not everyone really needs power.  I'm sure some in CAD, movies, graphics, etc. need power but they're not your average user.

I've never been a fan for placing a desktop box on the floor because it gets full of dust.  The last time I used a desktop, which was at work, I placed the CPU unit on my desk.

#31 2014-07-24 02:41:14

CSCoder4ever
#! Keyboard Troll

KrunchTime wrote:
CSCoder4ever wrote:
KrunchTime wrote:

But that's not the whole system.  You still have to add a monitor, keyboard, mouse...it all takes up a bit of desktop space.  Good looking?  I think the Mac mini is much better looking and takes up even less space.

Power...okay, but not everyone really needs power.  I'm sure some in CAD, movies, graphics, etc. need power but they're not your average user.

I've never been a fan for placing a desktop box on the floor because it gets full of dust.  The last time I used a desktop, which was at work, I placed the CPU unit on my desk.

touche. and I guess we find different things good looking. Though from a practical stand point, can't exactly throw a 7950 in a mac mini lol.

anything that's the better value I guess ( desktops tend to win this strangely enough lmao ).

I think the trick is to elevate the system slightly, or put a piece of wood under it. I have my server near the ground, yet it's elevated slightly, hadn't had to dust it for about a year. then again it only has a single fan

Last edited by CSCoder4ever (2014-07-24 02:42:41)

#32 2014-07-27 04:33:57

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Continuing on with mini PCs...I just read about this company in the Summer 2014 issue of Linux Format:

www.zotac.com

Last edited by KrunchTime (2014-07-27 04:34:25)

#33 2014-07-27 04:37:32

CSCoder4ever
#! Keyboard Troll

oh this company. Wouldn't know, it's too much fun building my own desktop  wink

#34 2014-08-01 09:08:07

Dédale

For what is worth, my mother uses a less than 500 € clevo laptop since two years. Xubuntu 14.04 on it. Fan is noisy and often on but no piece have fallen apart. Clevo laptops are in genral linux compatible . Never had a problem with this one.

Last edited by Dédale (2014-08-01 09:08:44)

#35 2014-08-02 11:33:09

speedy_86
#! Member

KrunchTime wrote:

My wife just got a ThinkPad as a company laptop.  I played around with it...I'm under-impressed.  The trackpad feels really cheap as does the keyboard.  Just two more reasons for me to never even consider one.  I will not state my main reason for not buying one as I may possibly offend some member(s) of the forum.

I think ThinkPads went downhill from the T430/T530 and X230 model onward. Got a T440s at work and i'm seriously underwhelmed about the TouchPad and lack of buttons for the TrackPoint, additinally the keyboard is seriously not fun to use compared to the old, T420/T520/X220 style keyboards (I've worked with T and X series for a long time).

But everything from the '20 series is very nice to use and have, I have an X220 which is my main notebook (and first #! PC).

Qui audet adipiscitur./Who dares, wins./Quien se atreve, gana./Wer wagt, gewinnt./Qui ose, gagne./Chi osa, vince.

Certainty of death, small chance of success, what are we waiting for?
- Gimli son of Gloín

Board footer