SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-01-21 15:40:33

vedana

Re: Installation notes for Thinkpad X131e

Hi,

I'm using the X131e (3372-3HU) with AMD. I plan on upgrading my RAM from 2GB to 8GB (2x4GB).
I just want to make sure I buy the right type of memory, I never bought laptop RAM.

So, would DDR3 PC3-12800 or DDR3 PC3-14900 be fine for this system ?
Is this the only specs of the RAM I need to know to make the right purchase ?

Finally, does any one knows a good e-store with descent prices/good deals for RAM ? (I'm in Canada)

thanksssss to you all smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2014-01-22 17:12:57

txtmsg

vedana wrote:

So, would DDR3 PC3-12800 or DDR3 PC3-14900 be fine for this system ?
Is this the only specs of the RAM I need to know to make the right purchase ?

The key thing to look out for is that you are getting laptop-sized RAM (SO-DIMMs). As to your other question, conventional wisdom has always been to make sure that the chips all match (sometimes the ram comes in packages.) What you might do is look on the IBM website for info about what RAM they sell in their upgrade kit-- and then look online for deals. Let us know what you find out!

{{ Eee 1005HA // Eee 1001PX // Thinkpad X131e }}
@desconcentrado

#28 2014-01-26 20:01:23

vedana

Hey guys,

I got recommended this page, which I found very nice. It's Crucial's parts upgrade site, where you select your machine and they give you the parts that you can upgrade, compatibility guarateed.

My computer is very slow sometimes. For example when lauching certain programs such as Iceweasel, it can take up to 14 seconds after the click for the window to show up. Actually, my overall experience with Iceweasel is a bit laggy, it's working, but often too slowly. Could it be due to the fact that I installed many add-ons (click to see them) ? Or could it be due to the limited RAM capacity of 1.38GB ?

Anyways, when my RAM will be upgraded to 8GB I will be able to tell if there's a difference and if this is the source of the problem or not. I will then report.

#29 2014-01-26 21:21:46

txtmsg

vedana wrote:

My computer is very slow sometimes. For example when lauching certain programs such as Iceweasel, it can take up to 14 seconds after the click for the window to show up. Actually, my overall experience with Iceweasel is a bit laggy, it's working, but often too slowly. Could it be due to the fact that I installed many add-ons (click to see them) ? Or could it be due to the limited RAM capacity of 1.38GB ?

that start-up time seems particularly slow but i think you've identified the two causes: minimal RAM and maximal plugins! :-) iceweasal starts up in less than 5s on my thinkpad x131e. i suspect you'll find similar performance after you upgrade the memory.

{{ Eee 1005HA // Eee 1001PX // Thinkpad X131e }}
@desconcentrado

#30 2014-05-17 13:08:25

zacman33

Glad I found the informative thread. I am running debian wheezy on my intel x131e. It's a great little machine. Best $250 I ever spent. I got my broadcom wifi working, but it's pretty hit or miss; it won't associate with some open networks and is generally less than rock solid. Looks like the intel card is a good investment. For fan noise: I'm sure someone said it, but make sure you set a conservative cpufreq setting. Cheers!

Board footer