SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-26 09:12:54

oalicein

Change system tray icons

With tint2, I can't seem to change the system tray icons straight from the system tray. Would the easiest way to change the icons be to replace the source images? If so, where can I find them? Any other suggestions would also be appreciated!

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2010-12-26 10:43:25

babouk
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Re: Change system tray icons

oalicein wrote:

With tint2, I can't seem to change the system tray icons straight from the system tray. Would the easiest way to change the icons be to replace the source images? If so, where can I find them? Any other suggestions would also be appreciated!

Icons are in
/usr/share/icons/

... and I change them with  lxappearance  ... symbol
smile

... hope thats what you are searching for.

p.s.
to see the change in tint2 do

killall tint2
... and start tint2 again ... and you should see the change

Last edited by babouk (2010-12-26 10:46:18)

waldorf | openbox
pekwm

#3 2010-12-26 11:24:35

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

^ Not always, network manager keeps its icon until you restart it.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#4 2010-12-26 21:30:29

oalicein

Gosh, thanks for all of the quick responses. Now, another question! How do you change the system tray icons in lxappearance? I seem to only be able to change system icons (as opposed to icons in the system tray) and toolbar icons.

#5 2010-12-26 21:32:30

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Which (program) tray icons do you want to change?

#6 2010-12-26 22:13:39

oalicein

xfce4-power-manager, volumeicon, NetworkManager, Dropbox, etc.

Many icons were not in usr/share/icons, but I've located many icons folders within the applications' specific user/share/<application> folders. So I think I'm set to work. But if it's possible to change these icons in lxappearance and I'm just missing something, I'd be stoked to know.

#7 2010-12-26 23:08:06

anonymous
The Mystery Member

LXAppearance cannot change individual program icons if thats what your asking.

#8 2010-12-27 00:15:57

oalicein

Is it possible to add applications like xfce4-power-manager to the lists in lxappearance so that their icons are changed as well?

#9 2010-12-27 01:05:13

anonymous
The Mystery Member

LXAppearance only change the system icons. If any application uses the system icons for the tray then they should change (example: Parcellite uses the gtk-paste icon).

#10 2010-12-27 01:06:55

slapfish
#! Die Hard

Ahh...Icons... *sigh*

I had spent a lot of weeks in the past playing with icons in order to fit them with my gtk/openbox theme. It's not a trivial task at all and tray icons are a little bit tougher to control. eg gnome-power-manager and xfce4-power-manager take their tray icons from different files inside status folder of the used icon-set (if I remember correctly). wicd and pidgin take their tray icons from /usr/share/pixmaps and dropbox from /usr/lib/dropbox (I just find them, and I'm going to change them too... yeah!).

So...the safest way to make what you want is to install a new icon-set containing the icons you want. If it doesn't then you'll have to enter them manually...which means that you'll have to locate the exact folder and name of the icon you want to replace or even create and replace it/copy it there.  If patience is one for your characteristics then I believe you will succeed, if not I bet you are going to give up soon...of course there may be another easiest way, like using a manual of icons which I missed but anyway...If you need help, ask....

#11 2010-12-27 04:58:05

oalicein

Well I'm feeling a bit discouraged overall, but I appreciate all of your helpful information.

slapfish wrote:

So...the safest way to make what you want is to install a new icon-set containing the icons you want. If it doesn't then you'll have to enter them manually...

How can I make a new icon-set? Will I have to manually find the original icon locations in order to make this icon-set work?

It'd be nice if there was some kind of application that found all associated files for a given program... Maybe that'd be too heavy though. (I have no idea how many files a typical program uses!)

Last edited by oalicein (2010-12-27 05:01:49)

#12 2010-12-27 16:33:49

iann
#! Die Hard

Yes, you're about there.  Icons are all over the place.  Some are in the icon theme that you choose, others are in fallback icon themes (don't delete hicolor!) because they are missing from your theme, others come directly from the application.  Very tricky.  Most icon sets that supply application icons don't try to install them in application folders automatically.  That might seem like a nice idea, but in the end would be fraught with problems.  How are you to know that I use a Firefox from the /opt/firefox4/ directory?

#13 2010-12-27 18:18:50

slapfish
#! Die Hard

I can only tell you what I have done and if you won't find any other alternatives you can follow it:

I started from a desired icon theme, in my case ACYL, colored black, which I set it as the default theme. Then the next weeks, for every icon that I came up on applications, tray, or notification bubble that wasn't taken from my theme, I had to locate the showing icon on the other theme's folders and note the filename and the folder where it was  resided. If the desired icon was already there but with different name I only had to duplicate it and rename it. If there wasn't any...I was making one using gimp/inkscape. It was really time taking, but as with every thing you create there is a fun factor. By the way, I'm still really proud for the thunderbird, qtiplot and plantsVSzombies icons that I have created (among others)...

EDIT: Now that I think of it, I was also altering many of the icons of the theme. If you intend only to just add the icons of the tray apps then it will be much quicker I guess...

Last edited by slapfish (2010-12-27 18:27:20)

#14 2010-12-27 22:57:25

oalicein

Well I'm going off somewhere to sulk; I can't say I like any icon default on the system so far. slapfish, you're crazy. I'm too lazy for this kind of crap, haha. Maybe once I understand Linux more, and its file structure, etc., I'll reattempt this. In the meantime, I'm off to vomit up some of that egg nog I drank.

Your replies were not in vain--I read and appreciated each one individually. Many thanks.

#15 2012-05-19 21:39:56

Bulettenschmied

slapfish wrote:

Then the next weeks, for every icon that I came up on applications, tray, or notification bubble that wasn't taken from my theme, I had to locate the showing icon on the other theme's folders and note the filename and the folder where it was  resided.

Been there, but only half the way. Too much work. After a while I really went loopy with all that stuff and lost it. But still I think that most of the default trayicons are butt ugly smile

@oalicein:
If you're not fixated on tint2 I suggest lxpanel. There's a nice context-menu, where you can simply switch icons.

"Where zen ends, ass-kicking begins."

#16 2013-01-05 02:23:24

benett

I refuse to believe that no-one on this forum knows the default locations of each icon that appears in the tray and on the taskbar. These aren't obscure bespoke applications - we're talking Pidgin, Icedove, etc..

I take the point that was made that sometimes Firefox could be installed to /opt/firefox4 or some specific location, but not BY DEFAULT.

My question is: how can I find out which icon is in use, in order to change it? I installed a new icon theme (AwOken) and many of the icons have changed. Many, however, have remained as they were before - notably Icedove and Pidgin.

If I could find out where the icons are located, then I could copy and paste the AwOken ones in. Someone must know, surely??!!

#17 2013-01-05 19:14:48

benett

I've found that dpkg -L <packagename> tells you all the locations that the packages installed icons to.

However, replacing these with the new icons of the right size does not work. Instead of the new icon, I am seeing the 'error icon' that presumably appears when the system can't process the icon.

This is very frustrating! I appreciate that there is no DE with CrunchBang, but it should still be possible to change icons for applications in the taskbar and system tray!

HELP PLEASE!

{EDIT: PS> It would be useful if I could track where Tint2 is picking up the icons FROM - this is the key - otherwise I'm just stumbling in the dark}

Last edited by benett (2013-01-05 19:19:01)

#18 2013-01-06 09:59:26

Tunafish
#! Die Hard

Did you try replacing the icons for icedove? Probably the ones in /usr/share/icedove/chrome/icons/default are used:

$ locate icedove | grep png
/usr/share/icedove/chrome/icons/default/default16.png
/usr/share/icedove/chrome/icons/default/default22.png
/usr/share/icedove/chrome/icons/default/default24.png
/usr/share/icedove/chrome/icons/default/default256.png
/usr/share/icedove/chrome/icons/default/default32.png
/usr/share/icedove/chrome/icons/default/default48.png

sed 's/stress/relaxation/g'
Privacy & Security on #!

#19 2013-01-06 13:44:38

benett

The really tricky ones are Skype, Pidgin and VLC.

I've replaced every single instance of "skype.png" and searched the filesystem for other image types, and have come to the conclusion that whatever it is using, it isn't using something I can find.

Pidgin Ive managed to change the icon for the system tray, for the taskbar occurence of the buddy list, but the conversation window icons (which are based on the status symbol that corresponds to the status of the person you are having the convo with) are also a mystery.

VLC seems to be a tough cookie because it seems to be using a .ICO Microsoft ICON file. I might be able to convert my theme's icons into that format, haven't looked into it yet. I'm still concentrating on hunting for these elusive Pidgin files!

Ben

#20 2014-01-20 02:24:17

fryderyk

benett wrote:

The really tricky ones are Skype, Pidgin and VLC.

I've replaced every single instance of "skype.png" and searched the filesystem for other image types, and have come to the conclusion that whatever it is using, it isn't using something I can find.

Pidgin Ive managed to change the icon for the system tray, for the taskbar occurence of the buddy list, but the conversation window icons (which are based on the status symbol that corresponds to the status of the person you are having the convo with) are also a mystery.

VLC seems to be a tough cookie because it seems to be using a .ICO Microsoft ICON file. I might be able to convert my theme's icons into that format, haven't looked into it yet. I'm still concentrating on hunting for these elusive Pidgin files!

Ben

a skype icon replacement would be awesome indeed! anyone figured it out one year later?

#21 2014-04-28 03:28:19

kungfu_sidekick

An idea is to try using the catfish search tool to locate the .png files for Skype icons by doing a system-wide search.

EDIT: Nevermind. Someone already suggested that and I'm unable to find the system tray icons this way also.

Last edited by kungfu_sidekick (2014-04-29 03:52:34)

#22 2014-04-28 06:52:25

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

Why don't you just delete the "systray" option in tint2? tongue

If you want a good answer, ask a good question
Do you have an X-Y Problem?
Don't be a Help Vampire

Board footer