SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-05 23:36:23

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

More of a Hardware Issue, But Replaced PSU Now Nothing Works [SOLVED]

So,  my old PSU was going & I recently decided to replace it before flames came shooting out of the back. Well, I got the new PSU (Thermaltake TR2 430W) installed, made sure all the cables were in the same place, & now nothing works. The single green LED on the motherboard comes on when plugged in, but when I turn it on, the blue power light comes on & that's it. No fans, no output, no beep codes. I also checked to make sure RAM isn't the problem. So, now I'm stuck. Anyone know what's going on with this?

Last edited by #!_828 (2014-04-08 01:27:07)

Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2014-04-05 23:45:36

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Re: More of a Hardware Issue, But Replaced PSU Now Nothing Works [SOLVED]

First thing is check your switch leads from the case to the mobo. LED might work, but power may have gotten loose. You've already checked ram but if you have a dedicated graphics card that may need to be reseated.

Additionally sometimes when swapping the PSU if it isn't *just* right, it can trigger fault protection and if the problem isn't obvious you have to pull it and start over.

Also, start it up in the orientation the PSU is designed for. An older Thermaltake PSU I had wouldn't run if tipped.

#! forum moderator

#3 2014-04-06 00:23:11

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

The leads look OK as far as I can see (I'll probably check again) I reseated the graphics card & turned the box upright. Still nothing   sad

So, is now the part where I unscrew the PSU, take everything out, & put it back in?

#4 2014-04-06 00:33:10

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

Before you do that, you can cross reference with your mobo user guide (there might be a pdf if you don't have the original) *just* to make sure you haven't missed anything.

If you do have to pull, start with the basics before plugging all of the drives back in (make sure you hit POST before proceeding).

#! forum moderator

#5 2014-04-06 00:57:12

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

Can't seem to find anything on my specific motherboard. all I know is it's some type of Intel desktop board (whatever comes with a Gateway GT5224 (the Intel site has a page on how to identify what board you have - it's complete garbage)) but I followed the leads, disconnected & reconnected them all, almost dropped the box on my foot, & still nothing sad

#6 2014-04-06 01:37:12

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

I would pull the PSU and reseat, then just attach the bare minimum (mobo, video, no drives), see if it powers and posts. If not, maybe it's a dud.

#! forum moderator

#7 2014-04-06 01:44:32

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

I just tried a paperclip test. Don't know if this is a failure or just a safety feature, but the fan flicked on for maybe half a second & I heard a buzz before everything stopped. Upon removing the paperclip, it was noticeably warm to the touch. Now working on attaching bare minimum.

EDIT: I plugged in just the motherboard (graphics card doesn't take a line directly from the PSU) & still nothing cry  Also, on a side note, I tried rigging up the old PSU, & nothing happened. Not surprising, since it was about shot anyway, & was hard enough to get the system to turn on under normal circumstances. So I guess the new PSU is defective, then?

Last edited by #!_828 (2014-04-06 01:56:50)

#8 2014-04-06 01:58:50

Bearded_Blunder
#! CrunchBanger

You're absolutely sure this PSU has enough grunt for your system?  I've had this happen on a number of occasions after adding internal components to a box, the extra demand sends the PSU into overload protection, and you get the exact symptom you're describing.

It always pays to over-specify PSUs to leave yourself headroom for added or uprated components later, and as with audio components be very careful with wattage specifications RMS values are the only ones that matter, but they're fond of quoting others, or putting some other value (say peak) in big print to mislead the unwary, because it looks better...

Another thing to watch for is counterfeit branded components, it pays to buy from reputable major dealers, if you got a really good online price from somewhere you haven't heard of before, it's possible it's a Chinese knockoff, while most of those work in low demand situations, they often won't supply their rated output...

The stage you're at is the point I "borrow" a known working PSU from another machine or the bits box, if it then fires up, it's time to return the one you bought as a dud... I realise you probably don't have a spare to try though, so this last bit is perhaps less than helpful.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...

#9 2014-04-06 02:45:19

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

First off, I'm pretty sure the PSU has enough power, unless a single graphics card, that ran just fine on the old PSU, suddenly decided to start consuming another 130 watts. Other than that, it's all just the parts it came with.

Secondly: I've confirmed the PSU's authenticity. It was purchased in-store from MicroCenter

Finally: you're right about not having another PSU. The only other one I've got is a crappy little 200-something watt that runs my Arch build. That system is only the hardware it came with, plus a keyboard, that I rescued from a dumpster (company was throwing them out)

#10 2014-04-06 03:54:17

Bearded_Blunder
#! CrunchBanger

Ok, at this point you've two options, or possibly only one depending:

Either: get out your test meter, find a diagram detailing what outputs should be on each point of all the connectors and check correct voltages are present, details of what they all should be are readily available, as they're all standard, or at least standard for the type of PSU involved, this is only any good if you have a meter though.

Or: Return PSU to store "this one's dud swap it for one that works please", install replacement, if it *was* dud all will be well, if not...
well it wouldn't be the first time some other fault developed at the same time as a component change, especially when plugging and unplugging things from aging system boards, tracks and /or solder joints have been known to develop hairline fractures. 

You did take precautions against ESD?  999 times out of 1000 you'd get away with not wearing your wrist strap changing a PSU, given just how much you handle the machine chassis, but you could be unlucky customer 1000.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...

#11 2014-04-06 04:39:20

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

Well, I didn't get a shock, & I took some precautions (one hand/forearm on side of case at all times) Also, since the LED on the mobo comes on, as does the front power light & the rear fan, at times (with the old, worn our PSU) whether it's ESD or just a faulty unit, I'm pretty sure nothing else is fried. Tomorrow I'll probably get it exchanged & hopefully that'll be the end of it  smile

#12 2014-04-08 00:28:10

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

OK, so I got the replacement PSU, hooked it up, & still, same thing. This time, the PSU passed the paperclip test, but still, no sign of activity. This is quickly becoming an "oh s**t" moment sad

#13 2014-04-08 01:26:43

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

Good news!  smile  After my last post, I pulled out the PSU, set it down next to the open box (no pun intended) went & did some other things, came back after a little bit, put it back in, & long story short, it's what I'm using to post this now  big_smile

#14 2014-04-08 01:28:45

mrpeachy
20% cooler

good news indeed!

did you figure out what was going wrong?  or just a case of its working now, I dont need to know  smile

#15 2014-04-08 01:31:43

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat

I guess it was a matter of the first unit was defective &, like Chillicampari said, had to put it in juuust right  wink  A bit of in-&-out finagling got it up & running big_smile

#16 2014-04-08 01:44:42

mrpeachy
20% cooler

^ that sound like something that should go here
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=33790  devil   devil

Board footer