SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-05 23:17:30

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

Does anyone use here use PekWm?

Sorry if this is redundant. Didn't see a recent thread. Pekwm + PyPanel + Conky = my favorite setup. You can find some awesome themes for PekWm. I'm very fond of Stippled and Mirev2. When my desktop is loaded, I am using 45 MB's of RAM. yikes I have two gigs, but there's something awesome about that.. and it looks great. At least with my simple aesthetic sense. tongue

screenshot1.jpg

“Each moment is the fruit of forty thousand years. The minute-winning days, like flies, buzz home to death, and every moment is a window on all time.”

― Thomas Wolfe, Look Homeward, Angel

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-04-05 23:48:56

Iranon
#! Junkie

Re: Does anyone use here use PekWm?

Those aesthetics could be achieved with pretty much anything... what's the unique draw of PekWM over others?

E.g.:
Openbox: basics done well, fairly flexible text-based theming, friendly GUI frontends for anything else, de-facto standard for mix-and-match DEs so many nifty things are tested to work well with it.
FVWM: Open-ended syntax that lets you do almost anything (including wrecking everything) without needing to know a proper language, shell integration.
Awesome: Native tiling without expecting minimalism, nice defaults, full Lua integration for advanced stuff if you're able.

When I tried it, PekWm seemed similar to Fluxbox (different default feel aside) - rougher and more texty than Openbox but more featureful... iirc with tabbed window management that didn't suck and chained keyboard shortcuts, both nice and far from common. Anything else that's neat about it that I missed?

LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single  unified look, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

#3 2014-04-06 00:00:18

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

No. That's about it, honestly. Personally, I enjoy the lighter memory footprint. Definitely not arguing against OB. I use both on different systems. And in both I have an option in the menu to switch over to Spectrwm.  I was just curious.

“Each moment is the fruit of forty thousand years. The minute-winning days, like flies, buzz home to death, and every moment is a window on all time.”

#4 2014-04-06 09:29:55

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

jdonaghy wrote:

Sorry if this is redundant. Didn't see a recent thread. Pekwm + PyPanel + Conky = my favorite setup. You can find some awesome themes for PekWm. I'm very fond of Stippled and Mirev2. When my desktop is loaded, I am using 45 MB's of RAM. yikes I have two gigs, but there's something awesome about that.. and it looks great. At least with my simple aesthetic sense. tongue

http://s13.postimg.org/xotccg9af/screenshot1.jpg

Hi, jdonaghy. I am a heavy pekwm user on #! (heavy: I use only pekwm, but I'm heavy, too smile )

You have set up a nice desktop, but personally, I'm more on empty-and-no-panel-grayish side ... I posted my scrot recently here.

What made me choose PekWM? You wouldn't believe it, but I liked almost empty right-click menu after installation of PekWM (I'm fed up with computers who think they know what I want), I liked orange colour(!) and I really like simple yet powerful config files. (Compare it to OpenBox config files with endless <xxx> tags, obscuring real meat.)

I guess, fluxbox would be similar, but somehow I ended up with PekWM, and I am more than satisfied. It is unobstructive, small footprint, maintainers are responsive, and I can hack it myself if needed (in a sense that source is complicated just enough for me to explore it ...).

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#5 2014-04-06 10:51:52

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

Glad to see someone else is a fan of this delightful little WM. I tried out just about every window manager before settling on PekWm. I also was very taken with the default theme and config, as well as the beautifully simple configuration. I love minimalism, myself. I guess when it comes down to it, my favorite menu is dmenu. No need to write and organize that one. The panel admittedly does feel pretty redundant. I've just been experimenting with lightweight thingamajiggers, as of late.

Last edited by jdonaghy (2014-04-06 10:52:22)

#6 2014-04-06 13:07:48

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

I also use pekWM...
Love it because of the simple yet powerful config files (as @IMBeCil says), also the bitmap window decorations are easily customisable & the grouping feature is useful.
Mind you, if you love minimalism try out dwm, I've switched over to that recently & its fantastic smile
EDIT: BTW I find pekWM works very well with the Tint2 panel; but I haven't tried pypanel...

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2014-04-06 13:44:24)

#7 2014-04-06 13:41:22

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

^Mind you, I did consider going to i3wm and/or dwm ... but there are some functionalities which are not available in dwm, and i2wm behaviour with dualhead is a bit akward (in my opionion) ... all compared to PekWM. (Don't ask me about it more, since I forgot exactly what went 'wrong' ...)

I also considered tiling options of dwm and i3wm ... but simply couldn't get used to it (although I use keyboard shortcuts heavily). I guess I use too many programs which are essentially mouse-driven.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#8 2014-04-06 23:04:20

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

dwm is nice! Now, I have dwm on my Crunchbang, PekWm on my Debian Sid, and Fluxbox on my Arch. smile

Edit: I guess I haven't settled at all. tongue

Last edited by jdonaghy (2014-04-06 23:06:30)

Board footer