SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#101 2014-03-01 06:49:51

ohnonot
#! Petunia
Website

Re: How To prepare an ISO to USB - Linux & Windows Instructions

a little more precision would be more helpful in helping us to help you solve your problem.
glasses
the ominous "it" could be your computer bios, so that's where you'd have to tell it to boot from usb.
or it could be the bootloader on the usb. what program did you use to create the usb? (mind, i don't use windows at all.)
did you follow vastone's guide in post #1 exactly?

the exact console output would surely help.

Be excellent to each other!

#102 2014-03-02 15:48:48

Awakened

Thank you so much for this. This helped me with my problem on Windows 8.

If anyone ever has any issues with not being able to boot into your USB on Windows 8 it's because of UEFI. What worked for me was going into Bios and first disabling Secure Boot, disabling Fast Boot, then switched from UEFI to Legacy. After that I was able to boot into any thumb drive without any problems. Just be sure to re-enable everything to get back into Windows once you're done with the flash drive (Enable UEFI, Fast boot, Save and Exit > Restart then go back into BIOS (Because Secure Boot isn't a selectable option for me in Legacy until I switch to UEFI, and Save & Exit) > Enable Secure Boot > Restart back into Windows perfectly fine.

I'm sure there's an easier way to do this but this has worked for me! Thanks again guys!

#103 2014-03-13 04:18:31

jabza

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I can't find anything on it. How can I use my USB stick again after this? I tried formatting it using gparted, but it fails to format it as fat32. Any help would be appreciated.

#104 2014-03-13 05:31:41

pvsage
Internal Affairs

You may need to recreate the drive's partition table (should be under the Device menu in Gparted).  This has always worked for me; if it doesn't work for you, I hope someone else here will have more suggestions.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#105 2014-03-13 06:36:52

Rodgh

jabza wrote:

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I can't find anything on it. How can I use my USB stick again after this? I tried formatting it using gparted, but it fails to format it as fat32. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried to format the stick to NTFS first and then FAT32? It worked for me when I had the same trouble as you.

#106 2014-03-13 07:01:42

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

Last resort is to - zero the partition table:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-clea … d-command/
I've had to do this on SDcards and USB sticks before.

#107 2014-04-05 22:56:27

Apathetic
Website

win32imagewriter corrupted my multi-partition external disk  mad

#108 2014-04-05 23:04:22

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

Why are you trying to write an iso to a multi-partition external disk?

Last edited by porkpiehat (2014-04-06 05:47:46)

#109 2014-04-06 02:28:34

Bearded_Blunder
#! CrunchBanger

How about adding a suggestion in the original post that people image their USB stick before they start?

That way when they're done using it in bootable mode, they just write the original image back to it...

I always use that approach.

Saves all those issues about whatever tool refusing to put the correct file-system on it or whatever

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...

#110 2014-04-06 13:33:45

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

wuxmedia wrote:

Last resort is to - zero the partition table:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-clea … d-command/
I've had to do this on SDcards and USB sticks before.

Thank you so much @wuxmedia --- this just fixed my £50 usb stick, you are my hero big_smile

#111 2014-04-14 18:23:46

lend11

on windows the win32diskwriter says : Writing on a physical disk can corrupt the disk... Should i continue or not besides that... can i
re-format the usb after the installation and use it again ?

#112 2014-04-14 18:32:43

Different55
#! CrunchBanger

By physical disk I think it means a hard drive. It should be safe to continue if you're using a USB flash drive.
Yeah, you can reformat it after you're done.

Professional lurker

#113 2014-04-14 18:37:48

lend11

Bump : Writing to a physical device can corrupt the device
(Target Device : [G:\]"")
Are you Sure you want to continue?

#114 2014-04-14 19:58:44

Different55
#! CrunchBanger

If G:/ is a flash drive whose contents have been either backed up, wiped clean, or both: Yes. You are sure.

Professional lurker

#115 2014-04-15 05:44:32

ohnonot
#! Petunia
Website

...in other words: you will lose all data on the usb stick, so backup first.
Sometimes  it's not so easy to restore the usb stick for normal use after installing, but imho this is always and 100% solvable. Take a look at my recent contributions to this thread.

#116 2014-04-15 12:25:06

k0s

if you are reformatting often / especially if NTFS is part of your storage-omelette / take time between jobs to write zeros or randoms to the device before new formatting. .... and .... programs that "assist" you in creating bootable AO's / or processes that hitch a ride on your attached storage through your "sync" preferences (android is really bad about this both for standard users & SU's) ... are bad. Don't trade convenience for depreciation. dd is the key. ...I have so many USB keys laying around that I've begun labeling them with blue painters tape. ... I could write a small manual on how the major brands perform after going through a load of laundry.

if you don't need much .config / check out some of the Debian projects for embedded devices. full OS on and SDcard - plug and play (there is a little bit of a learning curve) as with all things: its just a bridge / get over it.

question: as I'm not a microsloth user / why would one need to format a usb key to NTFS?

#117 2014-04-16 04:50:35

ohnonot
#! Petunia
Website

@k0s: i was refering to lend11's recent questions.
i think you are refering to something else.

#118 2014-05-15 05:44:03

masoko

Hello everybody, thanks 4 the tutorial, working just fine from a Mint Live Session.

#119 2014-09-26 15:22:35

branwerks

What do I need to do to be able to burn a disc image from the iso.torrent file I downloaded ? Every other other distro I've tried or installed simply has a live cd or iso file I download then burn to dvd, then run as a live cd and/or install the os from disc. Currently on windows 7. Please help  neutral

#120 2014-09-26 15:40:36

damo
#! gimpbanger

branwerks wrote:

What do I need to do to be able to burn a disc image from the iso.torrent file I downloaded ? Every other other distro I've tried or installed simply has a live cd or iso file I download then burn to dvd, then run as a live cd and/or install the os from disc. Currently on windows 7. Please help  neutral

Crunchbang also " simply has a live cd or iso file"  Download #!

If you have a problem burning the iso to a dvd (doesn't windows have software to do that? tongue )then start a new topic in Help&Support

Last edited by damo (2014-09-26 15:43:47)

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

#121 2014-09-26 15:53:57

branwerks

damo wrote:
branwerks wrote:

Crunchbang also " simply has a live cd or iso file"  Download #!

If you have a problem burning the iso to a dvd (doesn't windows have software to do that? tongue )then start a new topic in Help&Support

The link you're referring to is the download link I used, and my question wasn't about what windows can or can't do, it's about the .torrent file extension name vastly prolonging what should be the simple task of burning a disc image. The download was super fast, but now what do I do with it ? I downloaded a straight .iso file from the linux freedom site, we'll see how that goes. As I said, I've done this before and I'm well aware of what windows can/can't do. I've come here for help, so please, don't bash with sarcasm.

#122 2014-09-26 16:18:00

damo
#! gimpbanger

It was intended as a gentle nudge, not a bash - sorry about that  ops

Repeat - this is a Tips&Tricks HowTo thread, so if you have a problem, then post a question in Help&Support.

I am now making the assumption that you have merely downloaded the torrent seed file, not the iso, so you need a Win torrent application to get the iso? As I said, post a question in the right place, and give us some more info about EXACTLY what you have done, if you want constructive help  neutral

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

#123 2014-09-26 16:18:58

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

branwerks wrote:

The download was super fast, but now what do I do with it ?

The .torrent file must be used with a torrent client. You need to either use a torrent client for Windows (I don't know much about Windows, but I believe there are several clients for Windows -- see the links at the end of this post) or use one of the direct iso download sites, like http://crunchbang.linuxfreedom.com/download.html. Using a torrent client does not "vastly prolong what should be a simple task" -- in fact using a torrent download is usually much faster than a direct download, because torrents download from multiple servers at once.

http://www.top5freeware.com/top-5-bitto … or-windows
http://lists.econsultant.com/top-10-win … ients.html

(edit) what damo said.

(edit2) -- I see now that you have already downloaded the iso from linuxfreedom. This should work. In the future when you see a .torrent file, use a torrent client.

Last edited by porkpiehat (2014-09-26 16:22:40)

#124 2014-09-26 16:29:37

branwerks

porkpiehat wrote:
branwerks wrote:

The download was super fast, but now what do I do with it ?

The .torrent file must be used with a torrent client. You need to either use a torrent client for Windows (I don't know much about Windows, but I believe there are several clients for Windows -- see the links at the end of this post) or use one of the direct iso download sites, like http://crunchbang.linuxfreedom.com/download.html. Using a torrent client does not "vastly prolong what should be a simple task" -- in fact using a torrent download is usually much faster than a direct download, because torrents download from multiple servers at once.

http://www.top5freeware.com/top-5-bitto … or-windows
http://lists.econsultant.com/top-10-win … ients.html

(edit) what damo said.

(edit2) -- I see now that you have already downloaded the iso from linuxfreedom. This should work. In the future when you see a .torrent file, use a torrent client.

Just ran the live cd. Now I've got to figure out how to unlock the panel so I can drag it to the bottom of the screen, if that's possible in this distro ......... but that's not for this thread. Thanks for your response.

Be excellent to each other!

#125 2014-09-26 16:40:55

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

branwerks wrote:

Just ran the live cd. Now I've got to figure out how to unlock the panel so I can drag it to the bottom of the screen, if that's possible in this distro ......... but that's not for this thread. Thanks for your response.

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23473

Board footer