SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-05 11:37:08

cloverskull
#! Junkie

Any OS / Virtualization nerds out there?

Hey guys, I love virtualizing hardware to run different operating systems. I was wondering if any of you guys are as geeky as me. I use virtualbox (since it's free!) and really love older operating systems. Here's what I've got set up as virtual machines in virtualbox so far:

- A dummy to launch .iso's with no hard drive attached (typically for tails)
- OS/2 Warp 4.5.2 - fully working with tcp/ip - very geeky indeed!
- BackBox (with full USB access for pentesting purposes with my wifi card)
- Kali (same)
- Arch - built from virgin arch image (not pre-built) to test my software builds
- Slackware - just for the heck of it - similar to my Arch setup
- DOS - Simple and plain MS-DOS, though windows 3.11 lives there as well
- DOS/DesqView - for ancient preemptive multitasking. I always wanted a multitasker back in the 386 days. Well, now I can pretend.
- Windows XP
- FreeBSD - Built to emulate crunchbang with openbox, conky, tint2, etc
- Gentoo - Built to emulate crunchbang (same as FreeBSD)
- Chrome OS (or is it Chromium?) - just for fun
- Haiku
- ReactOS
- OSX (barely works!)

I also am an old-time Amiga junkie, so I have UAE with a few Amiga installs. I also have FS-UAE and a ton of old Amiga games installed in the launcher.

I have dosbox set up so that I can launch it into a real MS-DOS and even launch windows 3.1

I also have SheepShaver with Mac OS 9.0.4 and Basilisk with Mac OS 7 (emulating PPC and 680x0, repsectively)

Fun fun! Not to mention all my old game system emulators, but that's a different story.

Does anyone have anything else neat emulated? I'm always interested in learning about operating systems. I've learned so much about linux through emulation, which gives me a safe sandbox to play in.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-04-05 12:41:47

Alad
Software Satan

Re: Any OS / Virtualization nerds out there?

Windows 98 for some old (but expensive) educational software that XP won't run.
DOSBox for Pascal roll

MX-14 (to check out some configs)
Xubuntu 14.04 (didn't boot)
Tanglu (I've also tried to build it from a Wheezy netinstall - glad I could delete it afterwards devil )
Crunchbang (to test stuff on a clean image)

I've installed Basilisk a while ago .. haven't figured out how to use the ROM and stuff yet. SheepShaver ( lol ) looks interesting.

Last edited by Alad (2014-04-05 12:56:24)

#3 2014-04-05 13:24:35

cloverskull
#! Junkie

Alad wrote:

Windows 98 for some old (but expensive) educational software that XP won't run.
DOSBox for Pascal roll

Do you have tcp/ip working in dosbox? I can't get it to work. I want to try dos web browsers smile

MX-14 (to check out some configs)
Xubuntu 14.04 (didn't boot)
Tanglu (I've also tried to build it from a Wheezy netinstall - glad I could delete it afterwards devil )
Crunchbang (to test stuff on a clean image)

I've not heard of MX-14. It looks pretty neat, I just checked it out. I also recently was reading someone's thread about DragonflyBSD which I've been interested in. Building FreeBSD from scratch all the way to building xorg and a decent gui was a pretty cool experience. I have considered a debian netinstall to build sid, and then turn it into crunchbang afterword.  Tanglu looks interesting. I don't have much interest in pre-built distros, aside from #! as my main OS, if that makes sense.

I've installed Basilisk a while ago .. haven't figured out how to use the ROM and stuff yet. SheepShaver ( lol ) looks interesting.

I couldn't get basilisk/sheepshaver to work until I found precompiled binaries on the sheepshaver message forums. Now it works relatively well, but freezes every so often. Oh well, it is what it is I suppose.

The more I think about it now, the more I want to emulate ARM to build stuff for my Pi. I wonder how hard that would be...presumably QEMM can do it.

#4 2014-04-05 14:07:25

dot|not
#! Junkie

I'm running a few KVM-virtual machines at home (VPN, PyLoad, rsnapshot-backupmachine, transmission-machine for seeding some Torrents) as well as two Linux virtual machines on my Windows desktop (Arch with Openbox, Debian Jessie with i3). Other than that, nothing special. My puppet-vagrant-debianfai-xen-weird-setup-days are gone otherwise.

#5 2014-04-05 14:17:06

mynis01
#! Die Hard

I'm more into virtualizing networks. I love getting on rigs that have otherwise completely unnecessary amounts of RAM and CPU cores and just virtualizing a whole data center full of machines. I have 32 Gb right now and I use it all and then some. If you gave me 2 Tb of RAM I'd drain that dry too. It's amazing how these days you can just run HPC clusters and things like that off of a single host.

Don't get me wrong either, I love tinkering around with stuff other than Linux. BSD is always fun to mess with. Lately, I've been digging QNX. Something about a dedicated realtime microkernel arch just kinda draws me like a month to a flame  tongue Does anyone know if it's possible to virtualize a proper System V machine?

#6 2014-04-05 14:47:39

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

Way too hardcore a thread for me. All I do is run Parallels on OSX, setting up Linux and BSD sessions for my basic needs. Did some Raspberry Pi emulation with QEMU a few months back on an old (Linux) laptop. DOS emulators here and there. That's it. Nothing really worth writing about.

Point & Squirt

#7 2014-04-05 14:50:04

intoCB
Scatweasel

And the great thing is despite being Oracle, VBox is free software. Free as in freedom, not as in "free the Birmingham Six".

Running testing/unstable? Discover which packages installed on your system need help to be included in Jessie:
# apt-get install how-can-i-help
# how-can-i-help --old
https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

#8 2014-04-05 15:12:22

mynis01
#! Die Hard

intoCB wrote:

And the great thing is despite being Oracle, VBox is free software. Free as in freedom, not as in "free the Birmingham Six".

Admittedly I use vbox a lot, mostly just because of its gns3 integration. But TBQH, Xen and/or KVM is where the real magic happens.

#9 2014-04-05 15:20:20

CSCoder4ever
#! Keyboard Troll

I run Arch ( for whatever )
Slackware ( for the heck of it, and to test stuff on here before throwing it into my slackstation. )
Slitaz ( for web-browsing, to a couple of other websites. )
Void Linux ( trying it out! )
and Windows 7 ( in case I really need Visual studio or something later down the road. )

Currently trying to create a gentoo VM lol.

Crunch Pro: specs, #! 11 x64 w/ openbox
Archbook: Thinkpad Edge 13, Arch x64 w/ i3
thinking of building a #! machine? | Github

#10 2014-04-05 15:57:17

Alad
Software Satan

cloverskull wrote:

Do you have tcp/ip working in dosbox? I can't get it to work. I want to try dos web browsers smile

I'm afraid I didn't get that far tongue but looking through the readme file it should be possible...

I don't have much interest in pre-built distros, aside from #! as my main OS, if that makes sense.

Sure. If you start with something pre-built you'll sooner or later run into a brick wall.. in fact I'd probably have saved time if I had started with Arch instead of Mint. devil

The more I think about it now, the more I want to emulate ARM to build stuff for my Pi. I wonder how hard that would be...presumably QEMM can do it.

There was an article about that recently in c't (german computer magazine).. I'd have to look it up.

Last edited by Alad (2014-04-05 15:57:53)

#11 2014-04-05 16:59:23

cloverskull
#! Junkie

Wow, cool responses, thanks guys smile I see a few things (different OS's) that I'm going to try messing with now. @mynis01 - this sounds really impressive, it would be a trip to somehow take a look at some stuff that you've set up!

#12 2014-04-05 19:32:11

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

our DC manager has just installed a bunch of older machines using OpenStack
networking storage, very hardcore. Kept him very busy.
I'm still trying to use Xen.
Actually thats my plan for tonight.  roll

#13 2014-04-05 21:09:24

cloverskull
#! Junkie

I just decided that for some reason I need the LFS experience, so I'm building Linux From Scratch over here. Compiling glibc...hooray... smile

#14 2014-04-05 21:29:15

mynis01
#! Die Hard

2014_04_05_1396706689_3840x1080_scrot.png

On the right you can see my current project. Websrv is a statler install running phpbb3, which is ripe for DDoSing and php injection and fun stuff like that. 8.1vm is running (you guessed it) Windows 8.1. Node 0-4 are running debian wheezy with distCC set up so they can compile Linux kernels as a cluster, and I can wireshark and check out the traffic in real time. All the routers you can see are virtualized Cisco 3725s running Cisco IOS 12.4. Some of them are set up with serial links, some have 16 port switch modules, etc. The point of this lab was just to set up a simple network where I could practice using perl scripts to gather information and/or statistics from various devices on the network. Currently there's no QNX nodes, but I may have to add one now that I think about it, just to have some UNIX in my topology here.

Board footer