SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#76 2013-01-30 11:53:44

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

Re: Compiz-Fusion Standalone on #!

Your autostart seems fine. Perhaps one of the programs in there is misbehaving; try to comment them all out and see if it works.

If not, I have no clue what's wrong. It's a long time ago I used this myself, I eventually found the ~/.xinitrc method to launch stuff easier so I went that route. For information on that, see this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_Manager

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

Be excellent to each other!

#77 2013-01-30 17:01:06

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

I just updated my guide to show instructions on how to install everything from their respective Github repositories. This should weed out any questions and perhaps improper installations.

ManofJELLO, could you go over the new instructions and see if you perhaps did something wrong?

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#78 2013-01-30 17:46:08

ManofJELLO

sure.  I also saw on the Debian wiki for compiz there are some tweaks to xorg.conf that should be done at least for nvidia cards.  those could help me as well.

#79 2013-01-30 17:47:42

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

ManofJELLO wrote:

sure.  I also saw on the Debian wiki for compiz there are some tweaks to xorg.conf that should be done at least for nvidia cards.  those could help me as well.

Perhaps, I'm not using Debian nor nVidia so I can't tell. Did you run the script that checks if your computer is capable of running Compiz?

Github

#80 2013-01-30 17:59:40

ManofJELLO

would if you could but site compiz-check is dead

#81 2013-01-30 18:31:53

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

Darn it tongue Check if this one works:

https://raw.github.com/kriwil/random-sc … mpiz-check

I'll update my post again.

Github

#82 2013-01-31 05:02:57

ManofJELLO

damn this thing is killing me

compiz-check comes up no prob

reloaded everything from git except for autostart, though I think that is where I got everything in the first place. 
compiz-boxmenu works

something in compiz-alone-session kills things I believe.  if I don't touch anything in the file from github, I get a background, tint2, conky, but no mouse or compiz.  if I comment out everything after autostart and move up the compiz call, I get my mouse back but a black screen instead of a background with tint2, and conky.

#!/bin/sh

# Clean up after GDM
xprop -root -remove _NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS \
      -remove _NET_DESKTOP_NAMES \
      -remove _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP 2> /dev/null

AUTOSTART="${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-"$HOME/.config"}/compiz/autostart.sh"
GLOBALAUTOSTART="/etc/xdg/compiz/autostart.sh"

if test -r $AUTOSTART; then
    . $AUTOSTART
else
    if test -r $GLOBALAUTOSTART; then
        . $GLOBALAUTOSTART
    fi
fi

exec /usr/bin/compiz "$@" ccp

#if test -r /usr/bin/fusion-icon; then
#	exec /usr/bin/fusion-icon
#elif test -r /usr/bin/compiz-decorator; then
#	exec /usr/bin/compiz-decorator "$@" ccp
#elif test -r /usr/bin/compiz; then
#    exec /usr/bin/compiz "$@" ccp
#elif test -r /usr/bin/compiz-09; then
#    exec /usr/bin/compiz-09 "$@" ccp
#elif test -r /usr/bin/compiz-git;then
#    exec /usr/bin/compiz-git "$@" ccp
#else
#	echo "Error: No compiz executables found."
#	exit 1
#fi

Last edited by ManofJELLO (2013-01-31 05:22:37)

#83 2013-01-31 11:18:22

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

Try using that .xinitrc method I linked to earlier, so we can rule out any other faults.

Github

#84 2013-01-31 14:38:47

ManofJELLO

so last night after I posted that I tried changing the compiz-alone-session to call emerald and my autostart to call terminator.  when logged in I was able then manually call compiz.  It would start setting things up and be able to move and resize windows but get stuck at updating active plugins.

I'll try xinitrc but will that break my current openbox login?  as I need a working wm to fallback on.

#85 2013-01-31 15:19:46

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

ManofJELLO wrote:

I'll try xinitrc but will that break my current openbox login?  as I need a working wm to fallback on.

It will not. (99% sure big_smile)

Github

#86 2013-02-01 14:00:41

ManofJELLO

I give up.  there is some conflict that won't allow compiz to run as it should.  maybe some time I'll remove all I've done and try again.

just wanted to solve my screen tearing during video in Compton.  otherwise I'm perfectly happy with #! and open box.

#87 2013-02-04 20:33:38

ManofJELLO

I tried to run kwin in standalone as an alternative, but again I get black desktop and mouse as well. I think it is either a nvidia driver problem or another conflict as maybe Compton is somehow still getting autostarted.

how is Compton started on a regular waldorf login? where is it called?
im going to move to nouveau drivers as I'm not gaming Anyway to see if they improves life.

#88 2013-02-04 23:28:09

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

I have no idea how to starting of applications works in Crunchbang, so can't help you there.

Github

#89 2014-02-25 19:30:41

Snap
#! Junkie

OK, after some headaches I got Compiz Fusion Icon installed and running along with Emerald. Time to some configuration, testing plugins, cleanup and tiding up my config files after all the mess I did during my testings. And of course time to make Compiz Crunchbangy. As Crunchbangy as OB can be... or at least as close as I can manage to get it there. Tint2 does its job both for OB and FS so well covered in the panel department. I want my main keybindings matching the ones I have for OB (excepting the ones used for the Compiz effects, of course). And needing lacking a good menu.

Tried the Compiz-Boxmenu following the instrutions by Unia in post #1, but the installation failed. Got this error and cannot find that package in the repos.

make: dbus-binding-tool: Command not found
make: *** [deskmenu-glue.h] Error 127

What to do now? Can I install those files manually? What are the locations?

Gonna have a look to the Compiz-Deskmenu anyway. Haven't read the DarthWound (french) guide yet. but right about it.

#90 2014-02-25 20:33:43

th3pun15h3r
#! Junkie

Surprised no one has made a compiz standalone based distro.  Maybe a #! deluxe special championship edition turbo compiz standalone version?

#91 2014-02-25 22:19:43

Snap
#! Junkie

Probably because Compiz is going downsouth and Emerald even more. Besides the love and popularity, at least serving as a WM for a DE (mainly Xfce), they both are (sadly) almost dead projects. A shame. For me compiz is superior to kwin, and Emerald has no rival in compositing and themes customization. As standalone compiz fusion is neither bloat nor a resources hog. My modest PC runs #! almost as snappy with CF as it does with OB, but...

The hardest part for Debian users is that it's barely supported and we have to rely on the Arch guys and other third party sources which not always work fine here. Anyway it was not hard for me to install it and making it run fine. The issue that drove me crazy was a conflict with a particular plugin setup if running a dualhead PC, while i was fully misled for days searching the fault anywhere else. But the install itself was smooth and easy.

Last edited by Snap (2014-02-25 22:21:05)

#92 2014-02-27 08:47:58

Snap
#! Junkie

Got it! Followed the DarthWound's guide and the required packages served well to install both Compiz-Boxmenu and compiz-deskmenu. Gonna give 'em a go for comparisons and decide which one to keep.

PS, At first instance they both look the same....

#93 2014-02-27 19:17:46

ShadowKyogre
Website

Snap wrote:

Got it! Followed the DarthWound's guide and the required packages served well to install both Compiz-Boxmenu and compiz-deskmenu. Gonna give 'em a go for comparisons and decide which one to keep.

PS, At first instance they both look the same....

That's probably because you didn't edit the menu. That's where the rest of the features for Boxmenu come in as there's more configurations available for the items. For instance, having the name autochanged to the output of a certain command for an item if you really want, pipemenus (though they'd have to follow a different layout than an Openbox pipemenu), viewport icons, and menu icons. Some of the more miscellaneous features that give a more *box or pekwm experience include running "compiz-boxmenu -p" instead of the normal compiz-boxmenu command to have a menu that's open till you close the decorated menu, a Recent Documents item that is pulled straight from the GTK+2 library instead of having it as a pipemenu, and being able to use more than one menu file at a time while it's running.

Like this example from my test box, which has a ninit init system (my main system has systemd on it still) on it since I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it before I convert my main box to ninit and Compiz Standalone (<- again, I was avoiding the 0.9.x series until I knew that the vpswitch plugin was fixed): qQ8R9H7s.png

A more recent feature (which I literally wrote yesterday and haven't copied over to the git repo on sourceforge) that's completely optional is that if you have the workspacenames plugin enabled in Compiz, it'll attempt to contact Compiz's dbus interface to grab the viewport names. If not, it'll label the viewports in the usual manner (Viewport 1, Viewport 2, etc).

3S8Fi6xs.png

As for the Emerald version in there, I've been running the 0.9.6 release from p12tic's github, who's also written to the Compiz devs to take up his offer as a future maintainer since he knows the code base pretty well.

One thing I'm probably going to write after I do some more homework is to have a desktops menu since Compiz does support multiple desktops, and each of those desktops have viewports on them. However, before doing that, I'm going to have to figure out where Compiz is getting that window action menu because it doesn't accomodate that kind of setup when it ideally should be aware of zany situations like this (even though I myself just use one desktop with many viewports whenever I run it).

Last edited by ShadowKyogre (2014-02-27 19:27:11)

#94 2014-02-28 08:35:08

Snap
#! Junkie

That's probably because you didn't edit the menu.

Exactly, Right after installing just opened one, then the other and they looked the same. I'm keeping Boxmenu. The pipemenus are essential for me.

being able to use more than one menu file at a time while it's running.

That's a killer feature. Instead of just one huge single menu containing everything I may need, I'm already thinking about a main OB like menu and one or two task specific menus containing dedicated command strings, scripts and actions.

As for the Emerald version in there, I've been running the 0.9.6 release from p12tic's github, who's also written to the Compiz devs to take up his offer as a future maintainer since he knows the code base pretty well.

Oh my, I wish Emerald becomes mantained and developed again. Great news hearing about that possibility.

I myself just use one desktop with many viewports whenever I run it

Same here. 1 desktop 4 viewports. Haven't figured out a situation why I would need more than that yet. But I'm thinking about it for AV Linux right now. When dealing with Ladish, jack and loads of audio stuff and plugins within a project, this feature is starting to look like something very powerful. Like working on layers of a digital audio console or something like that. Each desktop with its specific viewports working as a kinda specific task layer. Here Boxmenu would be an essential tool.

I'm planning to get rid of Xfce in AVL and leaving just OpenBox and Compiz there but running as standalones. Going to replace the Xfce menu and the panel for yours and Tint2 respectively. Also I want to install KXStudio. It will be #! as a base with OB and Compiz for WMs plus the KXS stuff dropped in.

Last edited by Snap (2014-02-28 08:37:56)

#95 2014-02-28 08:48:19

Snap
#! Junkie

Hey, since I installed Compiz I've fully lost my interest in Fluxbox. I love OB, but FB will go away.  tongue

#96 2014-03-01 02:28:35

ShadowKyogre
Website

Snap wrote:

Hey, since I installed Compiz I've fully lost my interest in Fluxbox. I love OB, but FB will go away.  tongue

Lawl xD

Snap wrote:

Exactly, Right after installing just opened one, then the other and they looked the same. I'm keeping Boxmenu. The pipemenus are essential for me.

Speaking of pipemenus, I also forgot to mention that there's a few examples laying around on my github of how they print out to stdout:
https://github.com/ShadowKyogre/random- … mpiz_pipes
https://github.com/ShadowKyogre/random- … onspipe.sh <- this is probably the most clear example
https://github.com/ShadowKyogre/random- … spipeck.sh

Snap wrote:

That's a killer feature. Instead of just one huge single menu containing everything I may need, I'm already thinking about a main OB like menu and one or two task specific menus containing dedicated command strings, scripts and actions.

That's how I usually organize my menus too xD. When you do that, the alt-menu is usually called up like this:

compiz-boxmenu -m ~/.config/compiz/boxmenu/screenshots-menu.xml

Kind of lengthy (maybe I could alias it in the hash table after it's done making it?), but it does the job. One thing that I also remember needing to do to refining the reload command to be able to reload specific files. Currently it just quits the menu (that's how compiz-deskmenu dealt with reloading), which isn't a problem since compiz-boxmenu'll call up the other side of it if it isn't up. @_@ I remember the last time I tried to do that, I don't think I was being careful with trying to implement the refining of the reload. Might take another shot at it again.

Snap wrote:

Oh my, I wish Emerald becomes mantained and developed again. Great news hearing about that possibility.

Yup! big_smile When I'm not as busy juggling between this, my adventures in the ninit init system, and actually plowing through a story that I've been dying to write since last year, it's definitely going to be a thing on my todo list to study the Emerald source code again now that it's ported to C++ so I can help out too.

Other things that're probably on my to do list after the juggling's slowed down a bit is to look at all the plugins in Compiz that assume a 1 desktop, multi-viewport setup and see if I can make patches and/or make alt (as well as that window action menu on Compiz). versions of those plugins that consider the multi-desktop, multi-viewport setup.

Snap wrote:

Same here. 1 desktop 4 viewports. Haven't figured out a situation why I would need more than that yet. But I'm thinking about it for AV Linux right now. When dealing with Ladish, jack and loads of audio stuff and plugins within a project, this feature is starting to look like something very powerful. Like working on layers of a digital audio console or something like that. Each desktop with its specific viewports working as a kinda specific task layer. Here Boxmenu would be an essential tool.

Random, but related: Implemented the desktop navigation menu today. It's separate from the viewport menu because the way the viewport menu (currently) works is that it navigates around the current desktop's viewports. I also adjusted the windowlist to be more considerate of the active desktop instead of assuming to check if it's in the viewport on the first desktop (which I didn't realize this was the default behavior deskmenu had for the window list until later when I was fiddling with the code, mostly because I haven't modified the windowlist code as much as the other portions).

Anyhow, I don't have much experience with playing around with audio software, but I'm presuming from your post that they usually have loads of windows.

Snap wrote:

I'm planning to get rid of Xfce in AVL and leaving just OpenBox and Compiz there but running as standalones. Going to replace the Xfce menu and the panel for yours and Tint2 respectively. Also I want to install KXStudio. It will be #! as a base with OB and Compiz for WMs plus the KXS stuff dropped in.

Good to know! And be sure to keep in touch with me if there's anything you need 'bout the Compiz stuff!

Last edited by ShadowKyogre (2014-03-01 02:30:49)

Board footer