SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-07-14 20:05:52

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Re: How to keep Iceweasel upgraded in #! with the Mozilla backport ...

KrunchTime wrote:

You are correct.  However, the official word regarding Debian Testing and Debian Unstable is that they aren't meant for everyday use either, but people still use them as such.  CrunchBang10 Backports was setup to automatically install updates from the Backports repo and I didn't experience any major issues running it.  For my so called "stable" environment, I prefer tracking the Backports repo, meaning ALL updates from the repo; no cherry picking here.  wink

That is the thing. Backports are intended to be used at a lower preference, you can do of course what you want. But I think Corenominal already fixed that with CB 11? And he offered also both, with backports and not in a point release of CB 10.

It is not about if Testing/Sid are intended for the end user, it is about mixing repos. You also should never run Experimental on full with your Sid system, but you can.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2013-07-15 02:19:17

DapperMe17
#! CrunchBanger

CBizgreat!,

Good work, thanks for posting!

cool

Last edited by DapperMe17 (2013-07-15 02:20:04)

#28 2013-07-15 04:50:16

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

CBizgreat! wrote:

This thread is NOT meant as an apt pinning thread @ all. The stated and very clear purpose of this nonsense is to show folks how to upgrade IW to the latest release version via the Mozilla backports that are set aside for the purpose. Yeppers ... following the steps described ... as described are a necessary part of successfully accomplishing that end goal.

There are already apt pin threads or how to's in the #! forums. This isn't one of those though. If you want the latest stable version of IW on latest stable version of #!, then by all means follow the 1,2, 3 step process laid out above. Anything else, you're wanting something else ... Just sayin.

I know it's not a pinning thread.  I was trying to get your tip to work in the setup that I have and I'm not a pinning guru.  I was hoping someone who may have the same environment as I, and had successfully updated to the latest Iceweasel, might be able to chime in and give me a tip.

07/15/2013-01 edit:  I've read some of the pinning threads.  After reading them, my head is spinning.  Probably similar to the way you feel after too many swigs of JD.   big_smile

Last edited by KrunchTime (2013-07-15 05:00:17)

#29 2013-07-15 04:56:24

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

ivanovnegro wrote:

I do not recommend to set the backports to anything than 100. That could be the result of your dependency problems. If you do that, you can immediately go and use Testing.

I've been thinking about your post all day.  I don't think I fully comprehended what you said.  Are you basically saying that tracking Backports is not any, or not much, different than tracking Testing?

There is currently no Backports option with CrunchBang 11.  You have to do it yourself by making the appropriate changes in the preferences and sources.list files.

#30 2013-07-15 05:43:44

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

KrunchTime wrote:

I've been thinking about your post all day.  I don't think I fully comprehended what you said.  Are you basically saying that tracking Backports is not any, or not much, different than tracking Testing?

IMO, Testing is better than to use Stable with all backports enabled. Testing is Testing whereas a mixed system tends to break or to give you dependency headaches. Honestly, I am at the end of my explanations. Do as you please, the thread went in a totally different direction and it was clearly my fault, sorry CBiz.

My philosophy is just to use one branch and do it right and I think it works best. There is the exception, on Stable you can use backports by picking what you need, not pulling all packages (officially at least not recommended) and on Sid especially, using Experimental in the same way but here it is clear that you would break your system pulling all packages.
It is just my experience and also what I often see, that people that try really hard to stay on Stable but mix and match between branches break something sooner or later. It is not worth the effort. Unfortunately you cannot have bleeding edge and "stability".

I am convinced the problem you posted some posts before is due to your personal settings.

KrunchTime wrote:

There is currently no Backports option with CrunchBang 11.  You have to do it yourself by making the appropriate changes in the preferences and sources.list files.

That is what I thought and there was already criticism about including backports by default in one release of CB 10. If you look at some threads you will find why.

Now I will shut up.

Last edited by ivanovnegro (2013-07-15 05:47:06)

#31 2013-07-17 03:56:42

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Thank you for your patience, ivanovnegro.  After reading your last post and your prior post, I finally understand what you are trying to say.  I never really thought of adding the Backports repo as being a mixed system, but you are correct.

Now I'll shut up too.   ops

#32 2013-07-24 10:22:06

Edd Juglans

This is excellent; thank you.

Is it possible to do something similar for Icedove?

Edd...

Last edited by Edd Juglans (2013-07-26 14:57:07)

#33 2013-07-24 11:03:13

AnInkedSoul
#! CrunchBanger

just fyi if relevant

We're changing the approach for security updates for Iceweasel, Icedove and Iceape in stable-security: Instead of backporting security fixes, we now provide releases based on the Extended Support Release branch. As such, this update introduces packages based on Firefox 17 and at some point in the future we will switch to the next ESR branch once ESR 17 has reached it's end of life.

http://www.debian.org/security/2013/dsa-2699

#34 2013-08-13 00:20:53

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Houstan ... we have a problem ! Arghhhh !

Iceweasel 23 just came out and went to dist-upgrade a couple Waldorf vm's. End result ... no joy, said iceweasel has been kept back.

The following packages have been kept back:
  iceweasel
The following packages will be upgraded:
  gnupg gpgv libgcrypt11 libnspr4
4 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 4,471 kB of archives.
After this operation, 5,740 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Last time this worked w/o problems ... sighs. For me the answer was to simply run the apt-get -t and IW upgraded fine to the newer version available. ie

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -t wheezy-backports iceweasel

Not quite up to snuff with what I'd been shooting for with this babble how to, but having to wo/manually upgrade IW every coupla months I guess beats having an outdated version of IW if someone so desires the newest version of the sucker. Calling this good enough. wink

Vl#!! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-08-13 00:22:50)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#35 2013-08-21 16:20:01

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

I usually have to use 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to get IW upgraded. I assumed it was because a new package had to be installed - an xulrunner-something that each IW seems to bring in. (The old ones pile up till you remove them.)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#36 2013-08-24 15:41:49

joeal
Website

This worked for me first try.

Thanks @CBizgreat!

#37 2013-08-24 17:42:57

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ No prob ... whole pt of writing the babble on the topic. Though thanks for the thanks too. wink

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#38 2013-12-03 11:28:07

MsMattie

I gave this a whirl according to the original post, and it seems to have worked. I'm now up to Iceweasel 25.

Linux in the backwoods of the Rocky Mountains...

#39 2013-12-03 15:49:09

colorpixel
#! Member

thnx  smile

Debian Jessie @ Thinkpad T410 / Samsung SSD 840EVO
crunchbang 11 @ Thinkpad T400 / Samsung SSD 840EVO
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Nur tote Fische schwimmen mit dem Strom

#40 2014-01-05 17:18:09

Grm

Thank-you  this took me from 20 to 26
nice one  big_smile

#41 2014-01-05 18:41:33

iann
#! Die Hard

johnraff wrote:

I usually have to use 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to get IW upgraded. I assumed it was because a new package had to be installed - an xulrunner-something that each IW seems to bring in. (The old ones pile up till you remove them.)

dist-upgrade is required (or just apt-get install will do the trick) when packages need to be *removed* or when brand new packages need to be installed.  Each Iceweasel version comes with a different libmozjs* and xulrunner* package so they don't upgrade naturally.  If you do apt-get install iceweasel rather than dist-upgrade, it will remove the previous versions pf those packages for you (possibly subject to your configurations settings vis-a-vis autoremove?).

#42 2014-01-05 19:30:06

vlax
#! Member
Website

thx big_smile

#43 2014-02-25 18:17:43

holden
#! Member

Had this problem and you fixed it. Many thanks!

'Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink' - Charles Bukowski

Board footer