SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-20 16:38:10

deu2ronomy

yes i am a noob.

today's concern.  where do i extract a tar.gz to?  i.e. what is the destination folder.

i have a relatively fresh install and have repeatedly cluttered up my previous system(s) by not installing to the appropriate spot.  any input appreciated.  thx.  i often solve this problem using synaptic or aptitude but neither can seem to find the program i am after.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-02-20 17:03:23

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: yes i am a noob.

Extract it wherever you want of course - it's just a compressed file format. I usually untar/unzip to ~/tmp, then move the contents to wherever is appropriate. Look at the archive contents first - I create a directory to extract them to if the files aren't already in one, just to keep everything together.

I'm guessing that you may be talking about archived applications though. Every application should have a readme - if it hasn't then I personally take it as an indication that it is cr*p. The file is called "README" for a very good reason: the developer wants you to read it! There will often be information about where to install to....

PS Even though you are a "noob", wouldn't it make sense to have a more descriptive post title, like "Where should I extract .tar.gz to?"?

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

#3 2014-02-21 03:03:11

shengchieh
#! Die Hard

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos … urce_linux (Compile Programs From Source in Linux)

Sheng-Chieh

#4 2014-02-21 10:19:05

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@shengchieh...just because the file ends in tar.gz doesn't necessarily mean the extracted contents need to be compiled.  It could be a universal build meant to run from its own folder.

#5 2014-02-21 14:45:45

deu2ronomy

yes.  the more descriptive title would make more sense.

i guess my concern is that if i put the extracted files in the wrong place, the program will not function.  a la,  the time i tried to install terminology over and over again. that endeavour put extraneous files all over the place and yet terminology continued to not function.  i did give up and continued to use terminator. 

i don't think i am after compiling the program,  i think i just want it to live in a sensible home, and to do the thing i forsee it doing for me.  i am looking for the most strategic place in my directory structure for the program to live once it is extracted - and all the reading i have done, youtube videos and so on somehow fail to point to where files want to be extracted to;  to my thinking i will extract to a /tmp,  check the  readme and move the executable to /bin.    thanks for the time folks.

#6 2014-02-21 15:04:44

deu2ronomy

yah.  when i look at how things are organized in linux,  i see elegance; the msdos directory structure is decidedly not that.  i am loath to wreck the elegance by putting files where they don't want to belong, is all. 

also, i extracted to /tmp and cannot get the program to open.  therefore,  not just anywhere.  it's gotta live somewhere.  or i am doing something else wrong. 

specifically i am attempting to use the OSM tile splitter http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/download/splitter.html,  and take OSM data to create *.img files that i can use with a garmin GPS unit.  i will continue to read.  i am doing this because the learning curve anyway.  while it's possible this application is cr*p,  as there is no readme, it's just as likely that it's a purpose built program that not everyone will use.  i'd say most people with the gps unit just go and spend the hundred bucks or whatever and buy maps from garmin.  but.    i'm stubborn or something.  and i know there's a way.

#7 2014-02-21 15:56:26

damo
#! gimpbanger

There is a README (which you can open with geany) which is in the zip file - mkgmap-r3057/README
It contains:

Using
=====

This program requires Java 1.6 or above to run.

Producing a map is simple.  Save OpenStreetMap data from JOSM 
or by any other method to a file and copy it to the mkgmap
directory.  In the following examples this file is called data.osm.

Run the command:

java -jar mkgmap.jar data.osm

I suggest you extract anywhere convenient and run it with

java -jar /path/to/mkgmap.jar /path/to/data.osm

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

#8 2014-02-21 16:05:26

deu2ronomy

thanks.  will do.

Board footer