SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2014-02-07 08:53:16

Snap
#! Junkie

Re: Pros and Cons of #! with Openbox

Nice reading. Thanks for the link.

IMO, relative to Wayland and X. Evolve or die. That's what I've been thinking since I heard about "the monster coming down to kill us", AKA Wayland.

Wayland bring fragmentation to Linux.

Linux IS fragmentation. Plain truth and a real fact. The way I see it is that Wayland bring re-unification, or at least offers the chance in the early steps before the more than probable diversification that unavoidably will happen as time passes by. Well, re-unification if we don't consider Ubuntu. Ubuntu will stay away and go their own path? Ok. So long Ubuntu. But we left Ubuntu behind anyway, don't we? And they're aiming a very un-linux target, so who cares what happens with the Buntus anyway. Let's see what Wayland has to offer before pre-knocking it down.  I'm very optimistic.

Last edited by Snap (2014-02-08 00:20:44)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#52 2014-02-07 09:17:20

Snap
#! Junkie

Re: Pros and Cons of #! with Openbox

Back to the topic.

damo wrote:

My initial reaction with this distro was the same as many: "Why doesn't the menu autoupdate?" After doing it manually for a while I came to prefer it absolutely. Why should I let an installed app decide which sub-menu it should put itself in? I don't want to go around manually editing .desktop files to change categories.

And like most people here I now dislike autoupdating menus and desktop icons, and find they actually reduce ease-of-use.

Exactly the same here. Being a former KDE nut I started tweaking my apps menu there. Besides that, the non auto updating menu surprised me a bit, but soon found the great benefit of that lack/feature (depending on the eyes that see it). I like to customize my menu the way I want it. Removing and adding manually stuff in the menu from time time is not an issue at all. I love it the way it is. And my menu is exactly the way I want it.

The more I use OB the more I feel at home. Also every time I run a live ISO or VirtualBox install of a distro having a DE, it always reinforces my decision of leaving DEs behind and embracing WMs. #! is a such a great combo of Debian, OB and setup.

Board footer