SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-04 23:47:58

authentic8

HDTV monitor problem

Hey guys and girls,

So my 19" LCD is a bit old and tired and I have a new 22" Samsung HDTV which I would like to use instead but I'm having difficulties.

My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce G100 which has DVI and HDMI outputs (one each). The original 19" monitor runs off the DVI port. That is fine. However, when I try to run the Samsung HDTV off the HDMI port, it starts up nicely with boot and grub screens but then loses input just as Crunchbang starts to load. I've also tried running them as a dual monitor setup using ARandR. The HDMI is sensed alright and it's resolution is correct but I cannot get video through.

I'm guessing that even TVs (or their chipsets) require Linux drivers and maybe this is my problem...  but I'm lost as to what to do next.

Any help would be much appreciated..

John.

sad

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-02-04 23:56:55

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: HDTV monitor problem

Are there any detection/configuration options in the nvidia-settings gui? (I'm not on my nvidia box atm, so I can't check it out)

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

#3 2014-02-05 21:03:53

authentic8

Thanks Damo,

When you mentioned the nvidia config gui it dawned on me that I was actually using a free driver rather than the nvidia driver. So, long story short.. I tried to install the nvidia driver and settings gui, rebooted, ..no windows manager, couldnt startx and eventually gave up and took the easy way out with a fresh install. I think you were pointing me in the right direction, but my level of competence is not quite there yet  big_smile 

Cheers bud,

J.

#4 2014-02-05 21:48:37

damo
#! gimpbanger

Check out smxi for installing nvidia - it's the easiest way imo.

nvidia-settings is in the repos, and has a gui which you can use for configuring screens etc. (NB It sometimes takes a couple of minutes to show up after starting, don't know why)

Artwork at deviantArt;  Iceweasel Personas;  SLiM #! Themes;  Openbox themes

Board footer